Carson Wentz and the Colts pick - officially #16 (topic closed)

EazyEaglez

To be fair, Wentz is the latest franchise QB for the Eagles, so it's natural to compare him and Hurts.  Wasn't Wentz compared to McNabb pretty frequently as well?  

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, MF POON said:

To be fair, Wentz is the latest franchise QB for the Eagles, so it's natural to compare him and Hurts.  Wasn't Wentz compared to McNabb pretty frequently as well?  

Nope, cause after 2017 most thought he was already going to be way better then McNabb. So then the super bowl and 2018 happened then it just became a foles and Wentz debate. 

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

Nope, cause after 2017 most thought he was already going to be way better then McNabb. So then the super bowl and 2018 happened then it just became a foles and Wentz debate. 

From what I remember, he was compared to McNabb often, and during that 2017 year he was viewed as "hands down" the better QB of the 2. It wasn't until after Foles did what many doubted that the Foles vs Wentz thing became the bigger issue.

It's always a QB debate.  McNabb vs Kolb, Kolb vs Vick, Vick vs Foles, Bradford vs Sanchez (those were the days, people actually arguing Butt Fumble should start), Wentz vs Foles, Wentz vs Hurts.

Some people already calling for Flacco or trading for Watson.  It. Never. Ends.

1 minute ago, MF POON said:

From what I remember, he was compared to McNabb often, and during that 2017 year he was viewed as "hands down" the better QB of the 2. It wasn't until after Foles did what many doubted that the Foles vs Wentz thing became the bigger issue.

Basically what I said lol.  His rookie year he was compared to McNabb but, then Wentz blew anything McNabb ever did in year 2. So that ended that debate pretty quickly

Just now, NOTW said:

It's always a QB debate.  McNabb vs Kolb, Kolb vs Vick, Vick vs Foles, Bradford vs Sanchez (those were the days, people actually arguing Butt Fumble should start), Wentz vs Foles, Wentz vs Hurts.

Some people already calling for Flacco or trading for Watson.  It. Never. Ends.

Nope, that is what happens when you have only had like 2-3 better then average QBs for 60 something years. 

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Basically what I said lol.  His rookie year he was compared to McNabb but, then Wentz blew anything McNabb ever did in year 2. So that ended that debate pretty quickly

My point being is that it's common for the comparisons when it's this early into the new starter's time here.  

Also, I remember the debates on the old board throughout Wentz's second season.  He was crowned the best QB to ever play in an Eagles jersey, while there were some of us that weren't willing to make that claim - and we all see how things eventually turned out.  Anyway, I hope the guy bounces back in Indy

Doug Pederson visited the Colts to say hi to Reich and Wentz.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/doug-pederson-carson-wentz-talk-first-time-2020-season-ended

"I really wanted to go to Indianapolis, to see Frank especially,” Pederson said to King. "But I knew Carson was there, of course, and I wanted to see him too. Carson and I were together for five years. We accomplished so much together. I wanted to run into Carson. I wanted to hug his neck and wish him well, and I think the feeling was mutual with him.

"We did that, on Thursday. It was very positive, something I really wanted to do. It was natural, it was real. I saw him and hugged him. Carson and I always had a great relationship, and I have great regard for him, and I didn’t want what happened at the end to tarnish that. He moved on, I moved on, and let’s be men about it.

"We as coaches are hard on players. We want the most out of players. I’ve been coached hard when I was a player, and I didn’t always like it. There’s been times I didn’t like my coaches, but now, I’m grateful to them for helping make me the player and the man I am. It’s life. Everything’s not always smooth, and you’ve got to adapt and move on. I think we both have.”

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

"I wanted to hug his neck”?!?!?

:unsure:

Church people say that a lot. Bro hug type, hand on back of neck and quick hug.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

I think that is the PC way to say he wanted to choke him to death lol

On 8/15/2021 at 7:39 AM, eglz1 said:

DeVonta Smith was on the team last year? I musta missed that.

Smith played in a game this year? I must’ve missed that. 

On 8/17/2021 at 9:25 AM, time2rock said:

Doug probably wants to pop them big Boils at the back of Carson's neck... 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/colts-carson-wentz-getting-ansty-115931726.html

Sounds like Wentz is pushing to rush back. Seems similar to 2018 when he rushed back too soon and ultimately it led to another injury that season. We shall see how it plays out. 

You really think the back injury was related to the ACL?  :blink:

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You really think the back injury was related to the ACL?  :blink:

Sure. He certainly wasn’t as mobile as he used to be. Do you remember how the Skins couldn’t even tackle him in 2017? In 2018 he was getting blown up in the pocket.

They need to do like they did to Jim McMahon back in the day.  Shoot him up with painkillers, wrap all his extremities with braces and tapes, back brace, everything.  Keep him out there for those 75% snaps!  :lol:

If he starts Week 1, good.  Does that mean he'll be on track to play 70%+ of Colts offense snaps this season, or whatever it takes to get the 1st round pick?

13 minutes ago, toolg said:

If he starts Week 1, good.  Does that mean he'll be on track to play 70%+ of Colts offense snaps this season, or whatever it takes to get the 1st round pick?

If he plays Week 1 and gets 100% of the snaps, that would indeed be a good start.  Conversely, if he does not play in Week 1, and gets 0% of the snaps, that would be a very bad start.   

I am really focusing on the 75% number, as the best case scenario for the Eagles is that Wentz plays well enough to maintain his starting position, and keeps the Colts in the hunt for the playoffs... then they miss the playoffs.  That would mean the Eagles get no worse than the 20th pick.  If Wentz gets only 70% and the Colts make the playoffs, the Eagles can't get any better than the 21st pick.  I prefer the first option... so for me, I am focusing on the number 13... 13 games playing all 100% snaps (or very nearly) should get to the magic 75% mark for the regular season.  So, as long as the Colts stay in the hunt for the first 13 games... Wentz plays well enough to remain the starter, things are going well for the Eagles.  However, we do NOT want the Colts to go on a long playoff run.  In fact, those that are quick to point out that Wentz was injured in the only playoff appearance he made, should see that as a positive.  If Wentz doesn't play in the playoffs, and their backup does, that pretty well kills the chances for the Colts to advance at all in the playoffs, which would be a good thing for the Eagles' draft pick situation.   And after Week 13, we should be rooting against the Colts so that our draft pick rises as high as it can be.   Prior to that, we need the Colts to stay close to the playoff spot so that they can't bench Wentz to save the first round pick.

70%+ snaps and Colts in the playoffs is still better than less than 75% snaps and no playoffs; the Eagles would get a 2nd round pick instead of a first. So we are rooting for the Colts to stay in contention, at least, AND Wentz must stay healthy, of course. If the Colts are eliminated from playoff contention, they have no benefit playing Wentz over 75% snaps for the season, so I feel like they will bench him so it doesn't happen.

I am not going to get wrapped up in placing the Colts to get the highest pick from them... I just want Wentz to stay healthy and play.

3 hours ago, toolg said:

70%+ snaps and Colts in the playoffs is still better than less than 75% snaps and no playoffs; the Eagles would get a 2nd round pick instead of a first. So we are rooting for the Colts to stay in contention, at least, AND Wentz must stay healthy, of course. If the Colts are eliminated from playoff contention, they have no benefit playing Wentz over 75% snaps for the season, so I feel like they will bench him so it doesn't happen.

I am not going to get wrapped up in placing the Colts to get the highest pick from them... I just want Wentz to stay healthy and play.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I said.

Elhinger or however you spell it, jacked up his knee bad last night. Maybe this will get Wentz back sooner? who knows

Archived