EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

6 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

I think this is the key, and it is also at the root of why some people seem so "harsh" on Hurts. The team overall is outperforming expectations, mainly thanks to the offensive line and Sirianni tailoring the offense around Hurts' strengths and weaknesses. I didn't expect to be playing meaningful games in January, and I definitely would have bet against that if you told me we'd lose both Brooks and Seumalo for the year. Dickerson has been amazing, and Stoutland keeps getting solid play from no name guys (Herbig, Opeta, etc.). And frankly Nick is looking like a very good hire.

The issue is many people, myself included, believe Hurts' ceiling is not high enough to be a championship QB. I think Hurts is a great backup QB (I am always a fan of a mobile QB as a backup) or bridge starter. But to beat the elite teams like GB, KC, etc. - you need more. What I'm not interested in seeing is the Eagles buying into Hurts as the long term QB based on the team's success, when it appears we could be so much more with an upgraded QB. Hurts should NOT go into next year as the unquestioned starter, IMO. But the constant drumbeat from both the local and national media is the Eagles have their guy.

Now, I'm not sure I see the right guy in the 2022 draft, and I'd rather spend those picks rebuilding an aging defense. I'd be OK with signing someone to come in and compete (e.g., Mariota) as opposed to trading all our picks for Wilson. But in order to win a championship, we're going to need to upgrade at QB at some point.

Nice work.

I don't think folks (fans and media, especially national) will be able to comprehend the possibility that Hurts starts 2022 but still isn't THE GUY.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

I think this is the key, and it is also at the root of why some people seem so "harsh" on Hurts. The team overall is outperforming expectations, mainly thanks to the offensive line and Sirianni tailoring the offense around Hurts' strengths and weaknesses. I didn't expect to be playing meaningful games in January, and I definitely would have bet against that if you told me we'd lose both Brooks and Seumalo for the year. Dickerson has been amazing, and Stoutland keeps getting solid play from no name guys (Herbig, Opeta, etc.). And frankly Nick is looking like a very good hire.

The issue is many people, myself included, believe Hurts' ceiling is not high enough to be a championship QB. I think Hurts is a great backup QB (I am always a fan of a mobile QB as a backup) or bridge starter. But to beat the elite teams like GB, KC, etc. - you need more. What I'm not interested in seeing is the Eagles buying into Hurts as the long term QB based on the team's success, when it appears we could be so much more with an upgraded QB. Hurts should NOT go into next year as the unquestioned starter, IMO. But the constant drumbeat from both the local and national media is the Eagles have their guy.

Now, I'm not sure I see the right guy in the 2022 draft, and I'd rather spend those picks rebuilding an aging defense. I'd be OK with signing someone to come in and compete (e.g., Mariota) as opposed to trading all our picks for Wilson. But in order to win a championship, we're going to need to upgrade at QB at some point.

Spot on post about the situation.  Especially your last paragraph.  If they don't find a QB in the draft, at the very least they need to bring in an established veteran to challenge Hurts.  

42 minutes ago, aptosbird said:

Playing meaningful games in January is quite an accomplishment based on my expectations...the opportunity for top 10 draft picks has sailed..the QB is flawed but winning games. There is time for reflection and genuine talent assessments when the season is over...everything positive right now that is happening is good for the team for the long term. I am just enjoying the ride...

I love playoff football and I love when the team I pull for is participating in the playoffs. And like you said with the top 10 draft picks ship sailed, I'll take this team in the playoffs even if it means losing several slots in the draft. This team isn't going deep in the playoffs or making a SB run, but the playoff experience is valuable for this team and its coaches. And for guys like Kelce, Lane, Cox, McLeod, and the other vets, let them have this. They've earned it. 

Just get in, enjoy the ride, and see what happens. If they're somehow able to knock Dallas or Tampa out in the first round, then it was all worth it in my book. 

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Another topic.   This was a clean hit.  Should be no flag, but as usual the result rather than the action is what they call.   

As much as I hate the break in the game for reviews.  College does it better.

2 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Not sure why this stuff isn't reviewable.  Same with face mask, hit to helmet, etc.

15 yards is a big deal not to get it right. 

2 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Nice work.

I don't think folks (fans and media, especially national) will be able to comprehend the possibility that Hurts starts 2022 but still isn't THE GUY.

I think that is the reality which will mean another middling season next year. To get to elite the Eagles will need THAT GUY....not sure where he is and what the cost will be. 

3 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

college also better with DPI calls , 15 yards not the god awful spot foul.

11 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

This is exactly the point.  I'd love to keep Hurts on the team as the backup.  I'd even be open to giving him a gadget type roster spot if he was open to that (which I'm sure he wouldn't be but that's another item).  What I don't want to do is to act as if we have our guy.

1 hour ago, justrelax said:

IIRC, my comments about him were basically that he played A gap to A gap. I probably hedged my bets by saying that may be all that was asked of him but may not be all he's capable of.  Based on what I've seen, he's not ideal for Stoutland's system because Stout pulls everybody. @HazletonEagle has a point, though. Creed's 3-cone was phenomenal.

P.S. I much prefer Linderbaum.

I think I remember something to that effect.  I know there was a good bit of talk about him and he's one of those players that his tape didn't match his work outs.  Maybe it was the system in college?  Who knows, but as you said, give me Linderbaum all day. (+Dickerson)

15 minutes ago, aptosbird said:

yup...I believe that winning consistently in the NFL is an art form taking all elements from front office to coaching/teaching to the talent of individual players. How many teams in the NFL are perennial losers? I think the Detroit Lions play really hard each week but just haven't figured out how to win games. There is something to be said for teams who are rebuilding yet still winning.

The Eagles have been building the airplane as they fly it this year. There are so many question marks and flaws yet they are winning. Some may point to strength of schedule and call it a seasonal anomaly, but there is more to winning consistently. Collinsworth talked about the challenge of winning divisional games because of the level of scouting and familiarity. He described how winning divisional games often come down to individual matchups.

Of course, the bigger questions pop up. Can they win and compete with the elite teams in the really big games? The answer for me for the Eagles is not yet. The talent is not there but the winning is. They are more than a few players away and the QB situation is concerning, but I am liking the progress. Siriani has done a heck of a job this year.

This is the post of the year, IMO.

I’m shocked by Siriani and the coaching staff’s growth over the course of the season. He seems to be up to the task in all major phases (game plan, game management, attention to detail, leadership). He’s also kept problems in-house while working to solve them.

Also, in the course of one year, Jonathan Gannon has become serviceable (with the arrow pointed way up). Many of the greatest defensive minds in football (including our Sean McDermott and Todd Bowles) struggled mightily in their rookie DC season.

1 hour ago, justrelax said:

IIRC, my comments about him were basically that he played A gap to A gap. I probably hedged my bets by saying that may be all that was asked of him but may not be all he's capable of.  Based on what I've seen, he's not ideal for Stoutland's system because Stout pulls everybody. @HazletonEagle has a point, though. Creed's 3-cone was phenomenal.

P.S. I much prefer Linderbaum.

But he's from Iowa.

56 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Most people I see talking about it in here like Hurts but after watching him for a full season of games plus a few from last year don't think he is a good enough passer to be a franchise QB in today's pass first NFL.  They also don't think he can develop into one.

This is where I am. I’ve never said he is trash and actually I find him to be a good leader and he seems like a likable dude. Plus, his running ability is clearly an asset. 

at the same time, my jury has passed judgement - I don’t like him as a passer nor do I believe that particular skill set will come around enough to build an offense around him.

I appreciate his growth in not taking off running  every play, but still, his other flaws as a passer (which is what I most value in my QB) don’t show enough signs for me to think he will be anything beyond average to below average with what I want in my QB. 

if he had shown more in college, I might believe there was a higher ceiling and I would have more patience. But I believe he is who we’ve seen him to be and for the offense I want to see and the offense I believe Nick wants to run, Hurts simply isn’t the guy. 

is that a hater stance?  I don’t think so. 

9 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Nice work.

I believe that will likely be the case, even if they draft a QB this draft. 

1 minute ago, purplefiggy said:

I believe that will likely be the case, even if they draft a QB this draft. 

I'm just happy that Hurts isn't eligible for an extension until after next year. Giving him some big money extension based off a playoff season would be franchise crippling.

4 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

there 0-5 this year against playoff teams

During the burn in period of the coaching staff.  We are a different team now than in October.

I'm not predicting victory.  But I anticipate a more competitive outcome.

4 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

During the burn in period of the coaching staff.  We are a different team now than in October.

I'm not predicting victory.  But I anticipate a more competitive outcome.

We’re a different team cause we’re playing **** opponents. 

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

You mean when Tampa slept walked through most of the game, turned it on like a light switch and still beat us. Ya, we almost came back and won alright. 

The only chance the Eagles have beating Tampa is if the Bucs keep getting hurt

In 2005 the Chargers and LaDanian Tomlinson came to Philadelphia week 7. Tomlinson had been running all over teams to that point - 657 yards and 13 TDs. The Eagles had one of if the worst run defense in the league to that point and the story all week was - how the Eagles could even hope to slow him down? He might rush for 1000 yards in that game alone - some joked. 

At the end of the game LT had 7 yards on 17 carries and no TDs ending his NFL record tying streak of 18 games with at least 1 rushing TD. 

There is a reason they play the games.

3 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

Chargers are a playoff team and we gave them a tough game, chance to win at the end.  SF was a close game as well.

They are also a different team because they have some sort of identity now compared to when they played KC, Dallas and TB.  Most likely they still lose against those teams but I'd be willing to bet the games are closer and more competitive. 

4 minutes ago, Nivraga said:

In 2005 the Chargers and LaDanian Tomlinson came to Philadelphia week 7. Tomlinson had been running all over teams to that point - 657 yards and 13 TDs. The Eagles had one of if the worst run defense in the league to that point and the story all week was - how the Eagles could even hope to slow him down? He might rush for 1000 yards in that game alone - some joked. 

At the end of the game LT had 7 yards on 17 carries and no TDs ending his NFL record tying streak of 18 games with at least 1 rushing TD. 

There is a reason they play the games.

Matt Ware

9 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

Better than being **** opponents, which we were early in the season.

39 minutes ago, aptosbird said:

I think the biggest positive takeaway from the game yesterday was the sense of joy from the Lane Johnson TD. Siriani understands the game needs to be fun too. That was truly happy moment in a divisional game. It may not seem like a big deal but winning teams have that intrinsic quality that excites players.

I felt that way last week too with Slay being in on the offense. "He wants the guys to have fun out there."

20 hours ago, Wentz_Era said:

I get living in the moment, but we are so far removed from that SB season, what we are watching right now is the same thing we saw the Phillies try to do after winning the 08 WS.  The longer they are fooled into thinking this team can be competitive and make moves trying to 'extend' the window.  This team needs a complete retool and the potential coup we were hoping for in the draft is nothing now.  

So how exactly were the Eagles supposed to force the Dolphins and Colts to keep losing? Was Howie at fault for not saying, "Hey guys, pretty please, give us a top ten pick so we can retool our team better"?

2 hours ago, Mike31mt said:

You put up the type of numbers he does when you run the ball 132 f'ing times as a QB.  This isnt special. He runs the ball almost 10 times per game.  He has 5 less runs than Miles Sanders for crying out loud.  

Not taking sides in this shitshow of a conversation, but for those 132 f'ing times Hurts has averaged 5.6 yards per carry.  Lamar Jackson is averaging 5.8 and most everyone would say that Jackson is an excellent runner.  Hurts average in 2020 when he had half as many runs (63) was also 5.6 yards per carry.  

Accept the fact that you really don't want a QB to run at all, and as a result no amount of success by Hurts as a runner will make you happy.

5 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Chargers are a playoff team and we gave them a tough game, chance to win at the end.  SF was a close game as well.

They are also a different team because they have some sort of identity now compared to when they played KC, Dallas and TB.  Most likely they still lose against those teams but I'd be willing to bet the games are closer and more competitive. 

We may be a better team, but our last 6 games have been against pretty bad teams.

Broncos

Saints

Giants

Jets

Washington

Giants

I wouldn’t have too much faith against anyone in the playoffs, but at least we are growing. Like a flower. 

Archived