EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

The Bradford trade was Chip not Howie. They were also rumored to be interested in Mariota too.  Drafting Wentz was in direct response to Bradford's year.  I don't think anyone in the FO was convinced Bradford was an answer at QB.  They also really liked Wentz and Goff as prospects.  I think it's more likely than not the Eagles get a QB.  I just hope it's not someone they trade up for in the draft.  I do think they have some level of belief in Hurts' ability at QB that isn't backed up by his performance or the potential I see.  

While They may be incompetent at times, I do not believe they are THIS incompetent.  

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, downundermike said:

Lurie was the owner then, and is the owner now.

If Lurie is convinced that there's a QB they can get that's an improvement, they will try to get him.  I just was pointing out that it was Chip not Howie. I think Lurie is the one who reportedly liked Hurts so much too.  

Just now, Ipiggles said:

While They may be incompetent at times, I do not believe they are THIS incompetent.  

I mean I hope that's the case. It wouldn't be the first time they held onto a high draft pick too long because they believed in his potential over his performance.  

1 minute ago, NCiggles said:

I don't think Sirianni is without blame and I take those comments as saying he didn't help the situation.  I certainly believe that Sirianni was overmatched against Bowles.  I mean running 9 screens wasn't a good idea either but there you have it.  

When your QB can only complete 35% of his passes beyond one yard there isn't much he can do.

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I don't think Sirianni is without blame and I take those comments as saying he didn't help the situation.  I certainly believe that Sirianni was overmatched against Bowles.  I mean running 9 screens wasn't a good idea either but there you have it.  

So if your running qb can't hit anyone with an accurate on time throw and your running game isn't working, what would you do?

Just now, greend said:

So if your running qb can't hit anyone with an accurate on time throw and your running game isn't working, what would you do?

Put in Minshew. 

1 minute ago, 315Eagles said:

Damn, homeboy has some big a** feet.

Well big feet, small brain

4 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

When you need to pass but have a QB with below average passing ability, you dial up lots of screens 

2 minutes ago, greend said:

They also blitzed a bunch. 

12 minutes ago, downundermike said:

If we are gonna get "freaky" on offense, may as well do it with the better QB, Deshaun Watson.

You mean you had to throw the ball?

15 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

A name everyone seems to be leaving out that I honestly wouldn’t mind…

Jameis Winston. I think he’s grown a lot as a QB and easily would be an upgrade over Hurts. He’s also a FA. Idk what kind of market he would have, but if we could give him a 2-3 year prove it contract I would 100%. 

Just start mustache man at that point

13 minutes ago, greend said:

No thanks

9 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

:nonono:

Listen, the bar is low. He at least is an upgrade over Hurts/Minshew and we can actually evaluate the WR position with him in there. He was doing pretty well in NO before getting hurt. 

I’m just trying to look at realistic options. 

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Hurts reads the board and embraces the excuses 

Excuses are like aholes. Everyone has one and they all stink 

The Eagles needed the top rushing attack in the NFL to squeak into the playoffs. That level is not sustainable and shows once again you need to pass the ball to quickly and efficiently get in position to put points on the board. A rush first offense cannot get into a shootout, if they are more than 2 possessions behind they are basically done.

8 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

You could see what Nick was doing - the TB corners were playing 10 yards off and he wanted to give Swag an easy throw. Our QB doesn’t throw a bullet, Smitty/Quez aren’t the most stout blockers against defenders screaming downhill and they didn’t do a particularly good job following the blocking they had. A slant or a curl would have been an interesting passing concept, but that seems to have been a literal/figurative blind spot.

Why is he playing if he's so injured they need to change the offense? Especially when running is his strongest attribute... It's not like you have another QB back there that has shown the ability to run the offense.

Hurts is right, his biggest problem is anticipation, which involves three things:

1) reading the defense, that takes experience

2) being on the same page with your receivers, that takes time and practice, and more reliable receivers (Watkins broke off a couple routes and Reagor . . . )

3) knowing your scheme like the back of your hand, for a young QB it helps to be in the same scheme for an extended period of time - like more than one season

I'd point out that Mac Jones had similar statistics, with two long TD drives after the Bills were ahead 33-3. But he was #15 in the draft and started at Alabama. And Belichick runs a very QB friendly scheme.

Maybe it isn't easy being a first time QB in the playoffs, like Watson with his 7 points in his first PO game.

Now Hurts has a lot to work on this offseason, from mechanics to studying NFL defenses.

And Sirianni can also learn from his experience this year.

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Hurts reads the board and embraces the excuses 

Man, first it was the boot on his ankle not letting him get freaky, now he hasn't had a consistent offense.  Excuses are starting to come out and kind of tarnishing all of that great leadership stuff you hear about.

Be a good quarterback first.  Nick's offense wasn't forcing you to leave clean pockets while your WR break open all year long....not being a good quarterback were the reason.  One of the most frustrating things with Hurts leaving the pocket is had he waited .5 second longer his targets are breaking wide open.  He doesn't see them thought because he's running in a circle behind the line of scrimmage with his back to the WR.

So when rents due, Hurts is still waiting for his paycheck, or it's in the mail, or he had to make another payment.

Just now, wussbasket said:

The Eagles needed the top rushing attack in the NFL to squeak into the playoffs. That level is not sustainable and shows once again you need to pass the ball to quickly and efficiently get in position to put points on the board. A rush first offense cannot get into a shootout, if they are more than 2 possessions behind they are basically done.

On top of that you know when you get to the playoffs you are going to face better more talented teams usually with much better coaching.

Todd Bowles is one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL. If you thought you were going to go into that game and just running the ball down their throat and that’s how you were going to beat them you weren’t gonna win that game. First the Bucs are a very good run defense when everyone is healthy. Second Todd Bowles is going to do with Belichick does and take away your number one strength and make you figure out another way to beat them. The Eagles are not set up to win any other way against better teams then to run the ball and control TOP. They can beat bad teams committing to the run and even sometimes passing when it’s a really bad team (although lost to the giants) 

Archived