EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

The only perspective they could take is that the right side collapsed in on Hurts and made the initial contact, while Bosa just "cleaned up". Still, how you don't give him a pressure/sack/QB hit on that play is baffling? 

Even if Bosa got past Mailata ONE time, that is still an excellent performance that bodes well for the future.

1 minute ago, Infam said:

Even if Bosa got past Mailata ONE time, that is still an excellent performance that bodes well for the future.

Yes overall Mailata played really well yesterday against a good front. But to list him giving up zero pressures/sacks/QB hits is just....wrong

47 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

I wish they would trade Flacco and move Minshew up to #2.  Have a feeling that with how much Hurts runs around he will get hurt eventually.  Rather see Gardner than Flacco out there.

Now, look at it from the other side... what team would want him, let alone give up anything of value to have him?   Gotta have a team willing to give you something for him, that seems unlikely. 

9 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

The only perspective they could take is that the right side collapsed in on Hurts and made the initial contact, while Bosa just "cleaned up". Still, how you don't give him a pressure/sack/QB hit on that play is baffling? 

Because they're not "counting stats," they assigning blame for the play, if Mailata does his job, but Bosa slides off b/c the right side collapsed and pushed Hurts into Bosa's arms, that's not on Mailata. We see this all the time, LT drives end wide, then QB slides left into the RDE. This goes to the coach's emphasis on doing your job, a player can only handle his assignment, if his teammates screw up he's going to make things worse by trying to compensate.

On that play, Bosa did push Mailata back, but Mailata held him up enough to give the QB a reasonable amount of time to make a play. If the secondary forces the QB to hold the ball, can't blame the linemen for the sack, or blame one lineman if other linemen screw up. If the rest of the line does their job, Hurts can step up into the pocket and avoid Bosa.

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

Because they're not "counting stats," they assigning blame for the play, if Mailata does his job, but Bosa slides off b/c the right side collapsed and pushed Hurts into Bosa's arms, that's not on Mailata. We see this all the time, LT drives end wide, then QB slides left into the RDE. This goes to the coach's emphasis on doing your job, a player can only handle his assignment, if his teammates screw up he's going to make things worse by trying to compensate.

On that play, Bosa did push Mailata back, but Mailata held him up enough to give the QB a reasonable amount of time to make a play. If the secondary forces the QB to hold the ball, can't blame the linemen for the sack, or blame one lineman if other linemen screw up.

I mean, he completely bull rushed Mailata down to one knee. He certainly pressured Hurts, hit him, and in fact got the sack. It's totally understandable and doesn't mean Mailata had a bad game at all, not even close. But Bosa did all three things in one play they claim he never did for 33 other plays. It's bogus. And, if they're gonna throw that out there, then at least explain why you didn't count those against Mailata. 

14 minutes ago, downundermike said:

PFF, what an absolute joke.

I’m not going to bash Mailata for 1 play, but that says a lot about PFF.  Bosa was credited with a sack on the play.  PFF could at least get the box score right.

46 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Geez, it's a rebuilding year with a QB going in with 4 starts and your top 3 WRs don't have a full NFL season between them.

And people are surprised they struggled against a top defense?

Were people surprised that it happened, or disappointed in how it happened?  They were first and goal from the 6 after a 91 yard bomb, and then were first and goal from the 1 after the DPI... they came away with 0 points.  That's bad, no matter how it is sliced.  The decision to go for it on 4th down was aggressive, but stupid.  The decision to do a more predictable version (Greg Ward has been invisible so far this season) and poorly designed version of the Philly Special on 4th down just increased the frustration.  Not a single run from the 1 yard line on first and goal?   

I am not surprised in the ultimate outcome.  I expected 5 wins.  I expected a loss yesterday.  But, I was disappointed in how that loss came about.  The defense was decent.  The offense was not, in fact, the offense looked completely lost and unimaginative.  The TEs might be the strongest position on offense of the skill positions, but seemed to be completely missing from the game plan.  

11 minutes ago, Infam said:

This is about PFF, not Mailata.  

22 minutes ago, downundermike said:

PFF, what an absolute joke.

Still struggle to figure why anyone listens to a thing they say when what they actually put out is demonstrably inaccurate.  

It's only two games but it's crazy we are devoting $8.5M to a guy that has a stat line of 3 for 40, and 4 total targets. Who should be a backup. With a QB who refuses to throw to the middle. 

Sticking with TE's and usage, signing Goedert to an extension feels very tricky now if this is what the offensive identity is. 

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

When I get a chance I'll get those numbers. I wanted to be there for it but had a bit of a family emergency and was in the hospital most of Saturday and almost all of Sunday. My mother had what's called an "TIA" or transient ischemic attack, often referred to as a 'ministroke', even thought it's not really a stroke. Everything's ok now, since a TIA is just a 'momentary' sort of event. 

I'm about to head back to the hospital in a few minutes, but when I get back home later tonight, I'll look at the stats and post them. 

no sweat. Whenever. Glad to hear shes doing well now.

2 hours ago, RLC said:

1) We're not getting a 1st rounder, so just root for the Colts to get a top 5 pick
2) I'm sooo happy we don't have to deal with this week to week. It's exhausting.

the second angle of the replay that I saw looked really bad. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets surgery on that ankle and misses months. Maybe even IR. 

That might be nicer for our nerves anyway rather than sweating it out all season with each injury he gets. Just know we are getting a 2nd and move on. 

Out of curiosity, how much of an anchor cap hit do we have with Brooks and Graham until their contracts are clear?  (Thanks Howie).  If they retire in February, how much of that hit goes away?

If they retire in February and get BS PR appearance gigs commensurate with the guarantees in their contracts that retirement would bypass, how many red flags with the nfl does that set off?

14 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Anybody have the raw data % on how many Jerseys were returned??

I know I didn't buy one ....

20+ yard TD throw to the middle of the field, ball needs to be thrown from outside the 20, ball needs to break the plane of the goal line, and I'm going to add in that it needs to be a TD throw direct from Hurts to target (no deflections, tips, etc.)

I'm keeping the double-bonus open for 3 more games.

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

It's only two games but it's crazy we are devoting $8.5M to a guy that has a stat line of 3 for 40, and 4 total targets. Who should be a backup. With a QB who refuses to throw to the middle. 

Sticking with TE's and usage, signing Goedert to an extension feels very tricky now if this is what the offensive identity is. 

There’s a better chance Goedert’s value deteriorates due to an injury than it increases due to big stats.  No pass catcher on offense is going to put up sustained big numbers with Hurts under center.

Now, he probably won’t want to stick around if we force him to okay out his contract, but I think that’s the more responsible thing to do. 

2 hours ago, RLC said:

I'm a Lions fan tonight.

Also, that fan should make at least a $50,000 bet on the Packers to win outright so he's guaranteed significant profit.

yeah that would be awesome unless the game ends in a tie.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Brian Westbrook saw the same thing that most of us saw.

ok.

Its fruitless and knee jerk. but Im not gonna wait. I want Minshew at QB.

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Did you watch the football game?  

Since when is SF a "top defense"?  Were they last week when they played that offensive juggernaut, Detroit Lions, last week?  They gave up over 400 yards (300 in the air) to the Lions...

Maybe they looked like a top defense yesterday.  But they aren't a "top defense".  Stop.  

San Fran had +1200 odds to win the Super Bowl before week 1, same as Green Bay. Behind only Tampa, KC, Buffalo and the Rams. Plenty of people thought/think the 9ers are contenders this year. 

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I’d argue also having Barnett back on his fifth year option could be used in this scenario as well. the guy commits dumb penalty after dumb penalty every single year. Like how many stupid personal foul penalties does he have in his career? He has to be close to double digits. Not only that when you add those with his offside penalties he’s likely close to his career sack total. At some point when he hasn’t stayed healthy and he’s been underwhelming then why bring him back and pay him? This is like agholor where you should’ve just let him walk away cause he wasn’t worth the money as he’s largely underachieved and on top of that commits ridiculously stupid penalties that hurts you. Furthermore the compounded a bad resolutions by restructuring it so next year there’s 7+ mil in dead money and no cap savings along with other future years. 

10 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Do we have an identity yet? 

19 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Now, look at it from the other side... what team would want him, let alone give up anything of value to have him?   Gotta have a team willing to give you something for him, that seems unlikely. 

I know.  I just would rather have Minshew next in line instead of Flacco.  

I feel like Minshew is the best pure QB on the roster yet he sits at 3rd string.  Hurts to me isn't a great QB but he is a playmaker.

I just figured they can't cut Flacco so trading him is the only possible thing to get rid of him. 

1 minute ago, 315Eagles said:

I know.  I just would rather have Minshew next in line instead of Flacco.  

I feel like Minshew is the best pure QB on the roster yet he sits at 3rd string.  Hurts to me isn't a great QB but he is a playmaker.

I just figured they can't cut Flacco so trading him is the only possible thing to get rid of him. 

I just hope we're not trying to use Minshew and Hurts once we decide Hurts isn't good enough

12 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Certain posters only use PFF when it fits their Pollyanna hopes and dreams.    Funny how that clown isn't in here today.  Maybe he's sifting through the Petersen dudes retweets.  Which is normally just regurgitated BS from PFF.  It's a cycle of ignorance.  

Nova or some other dolt?

Archived