EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

I don't want to be negative nancy, especially towards the turds, but I feel like this is going to be a defensive let down game. If they keep the bend don't break/don't blitz approach, Dak has the weapons to not only move down the field, but also has different options to convert in the RZ. 

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Well seeing as you are using the it is only his 6th start argument, in his second season, I disqualified the rookies who have 2 or less starts in their first season.

Tua sucks, never been impressed, and thought he was a second rounder at best.

So you are left with Burrow and Herbert.  No one is taking Hurts over Herbert, ever.  You wanna compare Herbert's first 6 starts to Hurts statistically ??

Why are are you disqualifying the other young QBs? If you compare Hurts first 2 starts to their first 2 starts Hurts would still compare very favorably to them.  And you've made it no secret how much you hated him after those two starts. 

You hold Hurts to impossible standards of perfection as a young QB with few starts under his belt.  Fact is if you compare him to his contemporaries of last season and this season he performing just as well as any of them while also going through the expected struggles of a young QB with very limited expierence starting in the NFL. 

Just a pathetic hater.  

18 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Yeah me too....but I think we're on the same page that we're very likely getting their 2nd rounder. C'est la vie

Never say never.

42 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Gardner Minshew really does throw the ball very well.

He can make those 'zip' throws down the seems over the middle of the field along with making a 50+ yard throw while on the move without his feet being set.  He also showed some nice touch on some of those other throws.  This is what I want from my QB is someone able to make ALL the throws that you typically see in any NFL game made by competent solid QBs.  Would be nice to be able to use the whole field instead of only 2/3 of it and even the one outside 1/3 we've only used that about 35% of the time. 

If I'm a DC playing the Eagles right now then I'm overloading the right side and scheming to defend screens and outs and am going to force Hurts to beat me over the middle or to the left.  Until he does that I wouldn't change my D scheme. 

So far Hurts hasn't shown he can make all the throws any top half starting QB can make.  And my concern with him is still about why we aren't using the middle of the field when we have 2 good TEs and we have WRs who would probably do good stuff running crossing routes over the middle.  Clear out the middle with a couple out routes and go routes and let one of our WRs cross over the middle so they have space to get YAC.  Smith can do it by running a precise route and creating separation, Reagor can do it with quickness, and Watkins can do it with speed.  But we've neglected this part of the field.  Yeah, Falcons were taking away the middle so they took what was given to them.  Every play?  So they let the Eagles chew them up on the edges and never made an adjustment? 

For now one has to wonder if they aren't using the middle of the field because Hurts either can't make those lower trajectory zip passes or he can't read the whole field quick enough to thread the ball into a tight window that is only open for a second or two.  Until he starts to do that then he is limited which in turn limits what this O can do and makes it easier to defend.  Within the next few games if they still aren't using the middle of the field then we know there's a big problem here.  I'm not ready to write him off yet, but I do have concerns for the things I've yet to see that any solid starting NFL QB should be able to do, which is be able to process the field quick enough and then once you've made your decision to have the adequate arm strength to be able to get the ball into a tight window before it closes.

Guest justrelax
1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

@justrelax

Have you had a chance to watch the All 22 yet? Any notes on Kelce? It seemed to be one of the worst games of his career to my glancing eye. Any thoughts on that?

The All-22 is not up. Sorry.

We can beat Dallas on Monday, and if we do, we're 2-1 with a good shot at the playoffs because our division is bad. 

Good opportunity to see what Hurts can do in a big game.

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

He is in his 3rd season, and put up some pretty darn good numbers on an atrocious Jacksonville team.  As I posted after the trade, this is what Jalen Hurts would have to do this season to match Minshew's numbers after the 20 starts, and that is giving Hurts 1 extra start.

4,469 yards, 31 TD's vs 7 Int's and a 66.25 completion percentage.

Remember the last time someone called the back up QB a journeyman...

19 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Why are are you disqualifying the other young QBs? If you compare Hurts first 2 starts to their first 2 starts Hurts would still compare very favorably to them.  And you've made it no secret how much you hated him after those two starts. 

You hold Hurts to impossible standards of perfection as a young QB with few starts under his belt.  Fact is if you compare him to his contemporaries of last season and this season he performing just as well as any of them while also going through the expected struggles of a young QB with very limited expierence starting in the NFL. 

You used the excuse he has only started six games, so I am using the excuse that they have only started two games.

Hurts is in his second NFL season, those rookies are only in their first.

And I am not holding Hurts to unreasonable standards, I am expecting him to be slightly above average, which he is not yet.

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

We can beat Dallas on Monday, and if we do, we're 2-1 with a good shot at the playoffs because our division is bad. 

Good opportunity to see what Hurts can do in a big game.

Got a feeling we are going to be penalized like crazy this game.  Refs will do a little extra to make sure Dallas wins their home opener.

12 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

He can make those 'zip' throws down the seems over the middle of the field along with making a 50+ yard throw while on the move without his feet being set.  He also showed some nice touch on some of those other throws.  This is what I want from my QB is someone able to make ALL the throws that you typically see in any NFL game made by competent solid QBs.  Would be nice to be able to use the whole field instead of only 2/3 of it and even the one outside 1/3 we've only used that about 35% of the time. 

Minshew also appears to process what the defense is doing pretty quick, so the ball is getting out quickly.  Especially in the red zone, ball is out fast, and it is not forced into coverage.

I wonder how long until he is active on game day.

Without re-watching the first 2 games, it seems like we've barely used any pre-snap motion, but seem to have a great roster to do so. Is this simply Sirianni not trusting the young WR's just yet? I really don't know what else there could be to not move around Smith, Reagor, Watkins etc. I also think it would help Hurts out as well. 

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Nick Foles GIFs | Tenor

All we have to do is draft a QB with the 2nd pick next year to set it in motion

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

@downundermike

Why exactly is Hurts held by you to this unrealistic expectation of perfection?  Looking at the other young year 1 and 2 QBs in this league, Hurts in only his 6th start is playing among the best of them, if not at the highest level of any of them this season. 

Herbert (17 starts) : 1-1, 70.5%, 675 yards, 2 TD, 3 INT, 86.1 QB rating, 8 rush yards and 0 rushing TDs.

Burrow (12 starts): 1-1, 68.4%, 468 yards, 4 TD, 3 INT, 94.8 QB rating, 2 rush yards and 0 rushing TDs. 

Tua (11 starts): 1-1, 54.8%, 215 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 74.0 QB rating, 4 rushing yards and 1 rushing TD. 

Hurts (6 starts): 1-1, 67.2%, 454 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 108.0 QB rating, 144 rushing yards and 1 rushing TD. 

Wilson (2 starts): 0-2, 55.7%, 468 yards, 2 TD, 5 INT, 56.1 QB rating, 19 rushing yards and 0 rushing TDs.

Jones (2 starts): 1-1, 73.9%, 467 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 96.7 QB rating, 0 rushing yards and 0 rushing TDs.

Lawrence (2 starts): 0-2, 50.0%, 450 yards, 4 TD, 5 INT, 57.1 QB rating, 19 rushing yards and 0 rushing TDs.

Fields (0 starts): 53.3%, 70 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 38.2 QB rating, 34 rushing yards and 1 rushing TD. 

I believe we expect him to show traits of a QB that can win a championship in the NFL.  

Not be the best of a group that hasn't done anything yet.  

4 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I believe we expect him to show traits of a QB that can win a championship in the NFL.  

Not be the tallest midget

FYP

8 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No Mercy No Future GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Yes, oh please god, yes.  Minshew has been labeled a journeyman.  Draft a QB at #2 next year, Minshew wins the Super Bowl in 2023.

51 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Are you not seeing him make throws off platform ??  The same throw Hurts had to make to Smith ??

No, I didn’t look because I don’t care. I’m aware that Hurts doesn’t throw well deep when he’s on the move. 

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

No, I didn’t look because I don’t care. I’m aware that Hurts doesn’t throw well deep when he’s on the move. 

I was replying to this comment.  I figured a guy on our roster making similar throws, obviously not to the level of Mahomes, but doing what Hurts can not is valid.  You should watch some of Minshew's throws, you will be surprised at some of the throws he makes, along with how quickly he processes what is going on and makes decisions where to go with the ball.

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

Is anyone arguing that Hurts has the arm strength to make Mahomes-like throws?

33 minutes ago, downundermike said:

You used the excuse he has only started six games, so I am using the excuse that they have only started two games.

Hurts is in his second NFL season, those rookies are only in their first.

And I am not holding Hurts to unreasonable standards, I am expecting him to be slightly above average, which he is not yet.

He's playing as well if not better than Herbert and Burrow this season. 

19 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Not be the best of a group that hasn't done anything yet.  

Ahhh so we need to see from Hurts in his first career starts that he can win a Championship. 

11 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yes, oh please god, yes.  Minshew has been labeled a journeyman.  Draft a QB at #2 next year, Minshew wins the Super Bowl in 2023.

See the source image

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You don't get it.  I am saying....God please no, as in don't signal anything to do with BDN....or the obsessed poster in here will start to talk about his D again and again. 

Yeah! 

Archived