EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, RememberTheKoy said:

Ahhh so we need to see from Hurts in his first career starts that he can win a Championship. 

Brilliant!!  That is EXACTLY what I said.

Why are you here and not off finding a cure for cancer?

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

He's playing as well if not better than Herbert and Burrow this season. Maybe the assertion by some here that there is a racial bias in the hate towards Hurts carries some weight. 

Oh boy… 

Just now, Connecticut Eagle said:

Brilliant!!  That is EXACTLY what I said.

Why are you here and not off finding a cure for cancer?

Why aren't you out there being a GM since you can apparently identify the traits of a championship winning QB through their first 6 carer starts?  

Guest justrelax
27 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Without re-watching the first 2 games, it seems like we've barely used any pre-snap motion, but seem to have a great roster to do so. Is this simply Sirianni not trusting the young WR's just yet? I really don't know what else there could be to not move around Smith, Reagor, Watkins etc. I also think it would help Hurts out as well. 

I clocked the first half and they ran 33 plays (including a couple of repeats because of penalties so the box score only shows 31). They used motion five times, so you're right.

My strong sense is that, with so much youth at skill positions, a new system, and coaches not yet certain exactly how best to use their players, the offense is dumbed down. I expect it to evolve as the season progresses.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Good job quoting that before he edited it.  @RememberTheKoy, why did you delete your racist accusation ??

Because while I do think that is a factor for some here I don't think it necessarily applies to you specifically. 

22 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Interesting pick up.  Demonstrated pass protection ability at Texas Tech.  Might have gone higher if his arms were an inch longer.  Nice cherry pick of a third day draft pick from another team’s roster. Projects some C ability.   Surprised me a bit because I thought that Brooks spot would be held for Driscoll.  Meanwhile BG’s spot is open.  

Also signed Rodgers to the PS.  Protection for Ertz on the Covid list.  

1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

@RememberTheKoy

"Really needs to speed up his processing."

Traits.

That's something to comes with expierence and familiarity in an offensive system and the players he is throwing to. 

2 minutes ago, justrelax said:

I clocked the first half and they ran 33 plays (including a couple of repeats because of penalties so the box score only shows 31). They used motion five times, so you're right.

My strong sense is that, with so much youth at skill positions, a new system, and coaches not yet certain exactly how best to use their players, the offense is dumbed down. I expect it to evolve as the season progresses.

Thanks. I thought the simple answer was probably the correct one in this situation. I can't really think of any other reason or disadvantage to using it besides just an old coach stuck in his ways. But with Sirianni being younger I thought he would use it way more to emulate a Ravens like offense. Something to keep an eye on as the season progresses. 

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Rallis love. 

What happened to all that Brian Johnson is going to be such a great QB coach and he'll only be here for one year before he's poached?

Also to compare the first 6 starts of Burrow, Herbert and Hurts since @downundermike wants to completely disregard the comparison of Hurts 2 games into this season compared to other young QBs in their 1st and 2nd year:

Herbert: 1-5, 67.4%, 1,820 yards, 15 TD, 5 INT, 104.5 QB rating, 142 rushing yards & 2 rushing TDs. 

Burrow: 1-4-1, 65.0%, 1,617 yards, 6 TD, 4 INT, 85.0 QB rating, 87 rushing yards & 2 rushing TDs. 

Hurts: 2-4, 56.5%, 1,373 yards, 8 TD, 3 INT, 86.6 QB rating, 416 rushing yards and 4 rushing TDs. 

8 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Is the all 22 still unavailable for regular folks?

It's available on the black market 

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

What happened to all that Brian Johnson is going to be such a great QB coach and he'll only be here for one year before he's poached?

It’s been two games…

10 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Because while I do think that is a factor for some here I don't think it necessarily applies to you specifically. 

So who does it apply to ??  No one is basing his play on his race.  We are basing it on him being a runner more than a QB.

You should go find my post and watch the Gardner Minshew plays I highlighted.  You want to see a guy processing a defense quickly and getting the ball out, it is all in those videos.

9 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

That's something to comes with expierence and familiarity in an offensive system and the players he is throwing to. 

A serious response...

My daughter had a minor learning disability.  As a result, I learned a lot about how the brain works.  Hers was related to processing speed, not capacity to understand.   She was able to comprehend, but took longer than most.  Processing speed is an inherent trait.  Some can just process faster than others. It doesn't necessarily mean they are smarter. 

If Hurts is just average, it may not be good enough to play QB in the NFL.  He may be able to comprehend the offense in the meeting room.  But on the field, especially post snap and at the goal line, if he doesn't immediately understand what he is seeing, plays will be left on the field.

It may get better, but to the level necessary to succeed.

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I'm still here.  Then again, I never said he'll be here one year before he was poached.  I said a few years.  And I said I think he's the best HC (long term) candidate on the staff.  I still believe that.......I think.  

I liked the hire too, just haven't heard a peep about him.  I'd like to see what his plans are as a coach to improve Jalen Hurts game.  I wasn't knocking him, just like I said, haven't heard him mentioned at all.

8 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Rallis love. 

I wonder why he has that opinion. Seems a bit pre-mature for a guy who was just 27 a month or two ago and only has 2 games under his belt as a position coach. 

Guest justrelax
2 hours ago, TorontoEagle said:

@justrelax

Have you had a chance to watch the All 22 yet? Any notes on Kelce? It seemed to be one of the worst games of his career to my glancing eye. Any thoughts on that?

As I said earlier, the All-22 is not up. Who knows if it ever will be?

As regards Kelce, he looked OK to me. The guy who really came off badly to my eyes was Brooks, all this of course before he got injured. He got blown up several times and he seemed to be playing high, so Alex Mack in particular was getting under him. As we know, low man wins.

Something else I picked up: we ran a lot of 5-2 on defense, with stand-up LBs/DEs. Probably more 5-2 than 4-3. This was before Graham got hurt as well, so it was not because of that.

Example: our first play from scrimmage: 3-4 or 5-2, as you prefer.2021-09-22.thumb.png.ddcb97f83526c525f7579af78e80da23.png

Our second: 4-3.

1818670868_2021-09-22(1).thumb.png.a3d8327fca8f1326804085a8d91e1ead.png

It looked more or less like 3-4 or 5-2 on early downs and run situations and 4-3 in passing situations.

I expect we'll see more of the 3-4 or 5-2 with Graham out.

Archived