Where do you stand on QB for 2022

ManchesterEagle

Where do you stand on QB for 2022  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do at QB in 2022

• Hurts is the guy in 2022 and beyond - I'm convinced.
    • Roll with Hurts in 2022 with Minshew as back-up - see how it plays out.
    • Should be open competition between Hurts and Minshew in TC
    • Minshew should start
    • Trade for Deshaun Watson
    • Trade for Russell Wilson
    • Trade for Aaron Rodgers
    • Trade up in first to get a QB (say who in the comments)
    • Stay put in first to get a QB (say who in comments)
    • Trade a low rounder for Kirk Cousins
    • Sign Teddy Bridgewater
    • Sign another free agent to compete with Hurts/Minshew (say who in comments)

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I would expect both Wilson and Rodgers to be about the same price. Based on the Stafford trade, I would expect that to be around 3 firsts (but I wouldn’t expect them to be all the 2022 firsts)

Rodgers is obviously better, but he’s 38 and we’ve seen other elite QBs like Manning or Brees drop dramatically in their performance in the 39-41 age. 

Wilson is younger, but he wasn’t great last year and it could be the start of a decline.

Basically you only trade for either of you think you have a Super Bowl ready roster that only needs an elite QB. The Eagles don’t.

Agreed and that’s my overall point. This team isn’t a quarterback away. They need to keep these picks, because they severely lack talent all over the roster. Heck the Eagles receiver situation is so bad that despite they know that Reagor was killing them out there, they had no choice but to keep using him, because they had no one else. Also people are acting like these guys are the missing pieces to a Super Bowl when both Wilson and Rodgers haven’t been to one in a very long time. On top of this their contracts are absolute nightmares for a cap strapped team like the Eagles. Brady’s contract hit next season is 21 mil. That guy takes less so his team can sign more. Meanwhile Wilson and Rodgers are well over 30 and close to 40 by 2023. 

• Like 2

Trading three first round picks for any QB in this league would be the stupidest thing this franchise could do. To say they are not a great QB away from being a legit contender is a massive understatement. 

The only logical course of action to take is to give Hurts another year and see if he can continue to improve and be the answer. If they want to allow Minshew or a FA to compete with him, that is perfectly fine. IF their first round picks were higher and IF this was a good QB class the conversation might be different. The reality is as much as some people want to make it a ''black and white situation'' that Hurts is or is not the answer, it goes way beyond that.

Sign a WR and an impact player on defense in free agency. Use two if not all three first round picks on defense and the OL. If they want to keep their QB options open for the 2023 draft and move one of those picks for something like a 3rd this year and 2023 first round pick that is also perfectly fine.

• Like 3

Assume we don't trade picks for a vet or picks to move up to grab a QB in this draft.

Whatever we do with the picks, it doesn't mean we have to stick with Hurts for another year.

We can trade Hurts or make him compete. I prefer trading him. We've seen enough.

Trade Hurts. Start Minshew. Trade for Foles (4 mil for one year).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Great post.  I think they know they have a young and building team and a gap at QB, so they will do extra evaluation on QBs this season and move aggressively if they find that player. I hate tying too many resources up to get a QB, but also understand that a SB winning ceiling is their goal. If they believe that guy is there in this draft, go get him.   Here are some clear things that point to a QB being chased this offseason, IMO.

• Lurie thinks the key to winning a SB comes with a franchise QB and has said so many times.
  • Lurie loves the dynamic passing game and this team is as far from that as it can get with this boring offense.
  • There is no face of the organization, which is a marketing boon for the team. 
  • They can gain 2 years of rookie contract and development time back by drafting one.
  • They are stockpiling picks for resources to create options.

I think they feel like they know that they likely do need to upgrade the position but they aren't desperate where that upgrade has to be made this off-season.

If they don't think there guy is available this off-season, they will roll some of those stockpiled extra resources into next year and revisit the market then i.e. if they roll with Hurts, i don't see them using all four of their 1st and 2nd round picks. Or at least I hope they do given its a fairly high likelihood that if they roll with Hurts, we still have the same questions about him next off-season and you will need those extra picks in 2023 to get you that QB upgrade. 

1 hour ago, T-1000 said:

Trading three first round picks for any QB in this league would be the stupidest thing this franchise could do. To say they are not a great QB away from being a legit contender is a massive understatement. 

The only logical course of action to take is to give Hurts another year and see if he can continue to improve and be the answer. If they want to allow Minshew or a FA to compete with him, that is perfectly fine. IF their first round picks were higher and IF this was a good QB class the conversation might be different. The reality is as much as some people want to make it a ''black and white situation'' that Hurts is or is not the answer, it goes way beyond that.

Sign a WR and an impact player on defense in free agency. Use two if not all three first round picks on defense and the OL. If they want to keep their QB options open for the 2023 draft and move one of those picks for something like a 3rd this year and 2023 first round pick that is also perfectly fine.

100% agree with your first paragraph.

I totally disagree that the only logical course of action is to give Hurts another year. That may be where they end up and it would be totally fine but it should be after they thoroughly evaluating the draft prospects to see if there is a guy there they love and think has a high enough ceiling. If that guy exists, I sure as hell don't want them to lose out on that guy for the sake of giving Hurts another year.

I get that this is a relatively weak class of QB prospects but that hasn't always been a determinant of recent QB success. I made the point earlier and from very recent memory the Turbisky/Mahomes/Watson class was thought to be relatively weak (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-why-the-top-quarterbacks-in-the-2017-nfl-draft-could-fall-to-teams-late/)and gave us both Mahomes and Watson who have been a hell of lot better than what any other recent highly touted draft classes have produced (although 2020 with Burrow and Herbert looks to be equally great at this early stage).

On improving the team, I'm not sure we have a lot of cap dollars to go and sign WRs and impact defence players. We can create that room by kicking the can further down the road and making Slay and Hargrave uncuttable for the next few years but I'd really prefer Howie stops doing that, takes his medicine next year and we don't get hamstrung on options for 2023/2024/2025.

16 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Howie said Carson was the QB going forward in his end of season PC last year.

True that.  

50 minutes ago, time2rock said:

r1.JPG.d0fe41abcbdce6691d63706ca7a7340b.JPG

What is Howie supposed to do? Speak the truth?

We are trying to dupe the NFL into thinking we actually want Hurts, propping him up for a potential trade.

Or, he is taking direct orders from Lurie.

This picture gives off a lack of confidence from Howie and complicit dissatisfaction on the part of Sirianni.

55 minutes ago, time2rock said:

r1.JPG.d0fe41abcbdce6691d63706ca7a7340b.JPG

7 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

We are trying to dupe the NFL into thinking we actually want Hurts, propping him up for a potential trade.

This picture gives off a lack of confidence from Howie and complicit dissatisfaction on the part of Sirianni.

I don't make interpretations ... I simply present what is "reported" for discussion.  ;)

1 hour ago, CouchKing said:

On the bolded, that's a bad photo.  Both were smiling, fist bumping, celebrating each other and happy the whole time.

Howie also said at times they are open to improving and gave vague answers.  Toward the end, a reporter reminded him he said Wentz was the starter last year and things change.  Howie laughed and said they're always open to opportunities to improve every position.  he says that stuff all the time, leaving things open.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

Howie said Carson was the QB going forward in his end of season PC last year.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

True that.  

Then Carson said I want out. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

"Everyone does things differently and I think one of the things that we've had success with is having relationships with our players and having open communication with our players. That doesn't work for everyone, and I understand that, but at the same time, that makes it even harder to let them go in those times when you grow this kind of attachment to them and you have all the conversations you have with them and you know their families. But at the end of the day understanding that he felt it was best for him to get a fresh start, understanding that it's hard to win in the National Football League and to win you have to have a group of people who are all tied together and who are invested in what's going on here.“

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-colts-nfl-trade-carson-wentz-howie-roseman-jeff-lurie-nick-sirianni-statements

This is the official statement made by the Eagles after they traded Carson. I put in bold the very important comment to make it very clear Carson wanted out. Time to put to bed these quarterback questions and ridiculous hope of something happening that clearly won’t. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah that came to mind after responding, that things may have changed with Wentz continuing to want out even after Doug was canned.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

On the bolded, that's a bad photo.  Both were smiling, fist bumping, celebrating each other and happy the whole time.

Howie also said at times they are open to improving and gave vague answers.  Toward the end, a reporter reminded him he said Wentz was the starter last year and things change.  Howie laughed and said they're always open to opportunities to improve every position.  he says that stuff all the time, leaving things open.

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

Yeah that came to mind after responding, that things may have changed with Wentz continuing to want out even after Doug was canned.  

Here is what I believe (not know - just believe)

1) The Eagles are not committed to Hurts in 2022 or beyond

2) However the Eagles do see potential with Hurts and would be fine with him still being the guy in 2022. It's not going to be an open competition with Minshew.

3) The Eagles do not see any realistic free agent or trade QB that would work, even if they were set on upgrading over Hurts due to our cap numbers and needs across the team.

4) The Eagles will be closely evaluating QBs at every level in the draft. I expect them to draft one at some point, but it is a weak QB draft.

5) If the Eagles do take a QB in round 1/2, then Hurts will still likely start, at least for the first part of 2022, unless the Eagles get blown away by a trade offer for him.

• Like 5

2) However the Eagles do see potential with Hurts and would be fine with him still being the guy in 2022. It's not going to be an open competition with Minshew.

3) The Eagles do not see any realistic free agent or trade QB that would work, even if they were set on upgrading over Hurts due to our cap numbers and needs across the team.

4) The Eagles will be closely evaluating QBs at every level in the draft. I expect them to draft one at some point, but it is a weak QB draft.

5) If the Eagles do take a QB in round 1/2, then Hurts will still likely start, at least for the first part of 2022, unless the Eagles get blown away by a trade offer for him.

I don’t think the Eagles are sold on Hurts as their guy, but for now he’s their guy currently. I wouldn’t be surprised if they drafted a quarterback to try and groom somewhere after the first. That’s what "quarterback factories” do anyway. What I believe mostly is the Eagles understand they are not a quarterback away from anything. They also understand that they need a little bit of a contract flush because they have a lot of guys under contract that are counting against their cap that aren’t on the roster. 2022 isn’t the year to strike. 2023 is and that’s why I think it’s more likely they make a move for quarterback that season than 2022. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Howie try to make a move for 2023 draft collateral. 

Good post. I think that's where I'm at. But you never know with Howie. 

And his phone will be ringing extra this year because of those picks.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Even with that calls Howie wants to "win the deal” and he’s a guy who would rather have the asset the other team wants and given an offer he can’t refuse over giving up a bunch of assets and looking like a fool if it fails. Notice the last time the Eagles went out there and gave up a bunch of picks for a player (Wentz) that Lurie was right in the mix too. The Eagles aren’t making any big moves like that without Lurie’s consent. 

43 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Even with that calls Howie wants to "win the deal” and he’s a guy who would rather have the asset the other team wants and given an offer he can’t refuse over giving up a bunch of assets and looking like a fool if it fails. Notice the last time the Eagles went out there and gave up a bunch of picks for a player (Wentz) that Lurie was right in the mix too. The Eagles aren’t making any big moves like that without Lurie’s consent. 

You're right. 

I wonder if Lurie saw the offense this year and saw improvement, or disappointment because he wants explosive passing offense. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

You're right. 

I wonder if Lurie saw the offense this year and saw improvement, or disappointment because he wants explosive passing offense. 

I can't imagine Lurie was best pleased. I'm sure he was happy enough when it was going well but ultimately we know he wants an explosive passing offense. 

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think the Eagles are sold on Hurts as their guy, but for now he’s their guy currently. I wouldn’t be surprised if they drafted a quarterback to try and groom somewhere after the first. That’s what "quarterback factories” do anyway. What I believe mostly is the Eagles understand they are not a quarterback away from anything. They also understand that they need a little bit of a contract flush because they have a lot of guys under contract that are counting against their cap that aren’t on the roster. 2022 isn’t the year to strike. 2023 is and that’s why I think it’s more likely they make a move for quarterback that season than 2022. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Howie try to make a move for 2023 draft collateral. 

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

I think the ideal scenario is that the Eagles use 2 picks on the D and then trade back with the other first rounder to pick up a first or second for 2023. I’m hoping that a team like the Lions, Panthers or even Giants want to trade back up for a QB, giving us a great shot at a top 10 pick next year. 

• Like 1