Where do you stand on QB for 2022

ManchesterEagle

Where do you stand on QB for 2022  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do at QB in 2022

• Hurts is the guy in 2022 and beyond - I'm convinced.
    • Roll with Hurts in 2022 with Minshew as back-up - see how it plays out.
    • Should be open competition between Hurts and Minshew in TC
    • Minshew should start
    • Trade for Deshaun Watson
    • Trade for Russell Wilson
    • Trade for Aaron Rodgers
    • Trade up in first to get a QB (say who in the comments)
    • Stay put in first to get a QB (say who in comments)
    • Trade a low rounder for Kirk Cousins
    • Sign Teddy Bridgewater
    • Sign another free agent to compete with Hurts/Minshew (say who in comments)

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And they are rolling $16M.

You're probably right there... But a stopgap is a medium ground. It isn't going all in on a QB and it also isn't going with the same QB.

The draft is the ideal place to replace Hurts. They dont need to force anything just yet but by all means should be evaluating the QB classes over the next couple of years in a lot of detail to see if there is a guy there they think can be better

1 minute ago, DeathByEagle said:

I will keep it simple.....................Pickett

Would you give up a third, second or first to trade up from 15 to get him?

10 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Pitt Football | Trick Shots with Quarterback Kenny Pickett on Make a GIF

Would have been funny if the cap smacked him in the face. Since it was angled towards the eye would have been a bonus lol

3 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Would you give up a third, second or first to trade up from 15 to get him?

Need to let the evaluation process play out. Ultimately its a call for the Eagles depending on their belief in the guy. If they determine one of these guys has it, then yeah giving up a third or a second to go up and get the guy you want is a small price to pay. If he is not worth the extra pick, then he is probably not worth spending any of your first round picks in anyway. QB is that important - need to have high conviction, and if you have that conviction but need an extra pick to get it done, then so be it.

Personally, I like Picket and Strong the best from this class. I absolutely love the arm on Strong and how effortlessly he can make some 'NFL' throws but the knee and lack of mobility scares me a little as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kiwieagle said:

Need to let the evaluation process play out. Ultimately its a call for the Eagles depending on their belief in the guy. If they determine one of these guys has it, then yeah giving up a third or a second to go up and get the guy you want is a small price to pay. If he is not worth the extra pick, then he is probably not worth spending any of your first round picks in anyway. QB is that important - need to have high conviction, and if you have that conviction but need an extra pick to get it done, then so be it.

Personally, I like Picket and Strong the best from this class. I absolutely love the arm on Strong and how effortlessly he can make some 'NFL' throws but the knee and lack of mobility scares me a little as well.

Great post.  I think they know they have a young and building team and a gap at QB, so they will do extra evaluation on QBs this season and move aggressively if they find that player. I hate tying too many resources up to get a QB, but also understand that a SB winning ceiling is their goal. If they believe that guy is there in this draft, go get him.   Here are some clear things that point to a QB being chased this offseason, IMO.

• Lurie thinks the key to winning a SB comes with a franchise QB and has said so many times.
  • Lurie loves the dynamic passing game and this team is as far from that as it can get with this boring offense.
  • There is no face of the organization, which is a marketing boon for the team. 
  • They can gain 2 years of rookie contract and development time back by drafting one.
  • They are stockpiling picks for resources to create options.

Even though he had a real clunker of a game (in what was the most important game in his young NFL career), I am sticking with my POV expressed earlier in that I think the smartest strategy is to avoid using a combination of premium draft picks to either acquire a QB in an underwhelming class or via trade for one of the aging vets where their best days are behind them.  Open competition between Hurts and Minshew for the right to be named starter in 2022 - best man win.  If we still have as many questions about QB a year from now then look to draft one April, 2023.  Use the picks this year to add some much needed top end talent - practically all areas of the roster are in need.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Nope

I would by far rather Hurts and Minshew just battle it out for 2022 than do this. 

13 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Anyone okay with this trade? 

C747053C-179F-432C-AF61-48C18B1F8A77.jpeg

F no!  That's ludicrous!  

The ONLY potential benefit I see from making that kind of deal is, hopefully it hitches Howie's wagon to the outcome and if it blows up in his face (as I suspect it would) and it would lead to him finally getting canned.  It is almost worth blowing all of those picks for that outcome.  

18 minutes ago, time2rock said:

F no!  That's ludicrous!  

The ONLY potential benefit I see from making that kind of deal is, hopefully it hitches Howie's wagon to the outcome and if it blows up in his face (as I suspect it would) and it would lead to him finally getting canned.  It is almost worth blowing all of those picks for that outcome.  

I hate to break it to you, but Howie isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. 

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I hate to break it to you, but Howie isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. 

One thing I am certain about is ... NOTHING can be said with any certainty.  ;)

But obviously in the scenario I described it would take a few seasons to show just how bad a move it was.  

55 minutes ago, time2rock said:

F no!  That's ludicrous!  

Hell no. Give away the future for a guy who is in his past? Insanity.

7 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Hell no. Give away the future for a guy who is in his past? Insanity.

Agreed, I acknowledged that.  I was simply saying, IF we did do that kind of ridiculous deal, would have to hope it finally leads to Howie getting canned (assuming that plan blows up, as I would expect).  

• Like 1

So I chose roll with Hurts because there is not a QB available this off season via trade or draft that I have conviction about over Hurts. I would also be shopping Minshew just to see if there is any interest from other teams - Shopping Minshew also allows me to shop Hurts without openly shopping Hurts. Somebody recently posted "teams do stupid things regarding the QB position." This is true - the Eagles received a 2nd round pick from Miami for AJ Feeley. A 2nd round pick and DRC for Kevin Kolb from Arizona. The Eagles gave up a 2nd round pick and Nick Foles to the Rams for Sam Bradford and then were able to trade Bradford to the Vikings for a 1st. 

Getting a first for Hurts would be unexpected but not surprising. However, it would never happen if the Eagles started openly shopping him. My position on Hurts is this - I think his arm is good enough, I think his biggest problem is poor mechanics. I think some Eagles fans have been spoiled for so long - Jaworski, Cunningham, McNabb, Vick - even Wentz and Foles (I think Foles arm is terribly underrated) that they forget what a normal arm looks like. The biggest questions about Hurts are A) Where is his ceiling and B) How long will it take for him to find it? Players, especially QBs don't typically make huge strides in season but rather during the offseason. I know some fans hate reading the rookie season argument but it's real. 2021 was his 2nd season in the NFL but 1st season as the starter and 1st season with ROOKIE HC Nick Sirianni. Hurts has been in 4 offenses in the past 4 seasons. One of the most important factors in player development is continuity. I expect Hurts to make a huge jump from this season to next. So, factoring what is available this offseason at QB, I'm content to wait and see what Hurts is next season. But there should be some real competition if for no other reason than to push him.

One thing I am very confident in regarding Hurts arm. We can speculate all we want about whether it's good enough or it isn't but all that really matters is what Brian Johnson and Nick Sirianni think. And everything starts with that - either the arm is good enough or it isn't. If it isn't then nothing else matters and the Eagles need to move on. I'm not saying move on right now but the plan to get the next QB starts right now - you can bring Hurts back next year while still putting together and implementing that plan.

2023 NFL Mock Draft | NFL Draft Prediction - Lines.com

For those that want to wait for 2023 to draft a QB, see 3 QB's in the top 4 picks in this (way too early) 2023 mock draft.

I don't think the Eagles will be picking top 10 in 2023. I hope not.

2022 NFL Mock Draft | NFL Draft Prediction - Lines.com

Same guys at lines.com rating Corral and Pickett as top 2 QB's this year, both going before the Eagles select at #15.

2022 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com

WalterFootball.com has Pickett going at #2 overall to the Lions. Also QBs Willis and Howell drafted in top 10.

5 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

2023 NFL Mock Draft | NFL Draft Prediction - Lines.com

For those that want to wait for 2023 to draft a QB, see 3 QB's in the top 4 picks in this (way too early) 2023 mock draft.

I don't think the Eagles will be picking top 10 in 2023. I hope not.

2022 NFL Mock Draft | NFL Draft Prediction - Lines.com

Same guys at lines.com rating Corral and Pickett as top 2 QB's this year, both going before the Eagles select at #15.

2022 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com

WalterFootball.com has Pickett going at #2 overall to the Lions. Also QBs Willis and Howell drafted in top 10.

The Eagles do have enough collateral to move up to take Pickett if they’re that high on him. I just wonder if he’s worth it.

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles do have enough collateral to move up to take Pickett if they’re that high on him. I just wonder if he’s worth it.

If he slips to 10 you could add a 2023 pick and move up.  I would not move up into the top 10 for him.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

One thing I am certain about is ... NOTHING can be said with any certainty.  ;)

But obviously in the scenario I described it would take a few seasons to show just how bad a move it was.  

When I saw Lurie basically give Howie praise for wanting guys other teams drafted my thought of Howie being fired pretty much evaporated. The Jets almost took Howie off the Eagles hands in 2014-15, but the owner convinced him to stay. I just don’t see it happening. 

Just now, downundermike said:

If he slips to 10 you could add a 2023 pick and move up.  I would not move up into the top 10 for him.

We will see what they do. I think it’s best that whatever they do it’s not out of irrational panic. This team isn’t ready for the big leagues yet, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say Howie selecting players with these picks isn’t a concern of mine too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

F no!  That's ludicrous!  

On a side not I think Daniel Jeremiah is mostly speculating here, but if this is the starting point or any point for Wilson imagine how much more Rodgers would cost. Heck even Watson is going to be a steep price considering his age, and we have already saw when the talent around him isn’t good it difficult for him to win.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Agreed, I acknowledged that.  I was simply saying, IF we did do that kind of ridiculous deal, would have to hope it finally leads to Howie getting canned (assuming that plan blows up, as I would expect).  

Definitely respect your POV.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

On a side not I think Daniel Jeremiah is mostly speculating here, but if this is the starting point or any point for Wilson imagine how much more Rodgers would cost. Heck even Watson is going to be a steep price considering his age, and we have already saw when the talent around him isn’t good it difficult for him to win.

I would expect both Wilson and Rodgers to be about the same price. Based on the Stafford trade, I would expect that to be around 3 firsts (but I wouldn’t expect them to be all the 2022 firsts)

Rodgers is obviously better, but he’s 38 and we’ve seen other elite QBs like Manning or Brees drop dramatically in their performance in the 39-41 age. 

Wilson is younger, but he wasn’t great last year and it could be the start of a decline.

Basically you only trade for either of you think you have a Super Bowl ready roster that only needs an elite QB. The Eagles don’t.

• Like 2