Netflix Instant Recommendations

Captain F

The Office leaving Netflix 12/31/20 and officially heading to Peacock. I can't see myself ever getting that, so am trying to rush through this re-watch I randomly started around Thanksgiving, around the time I came across "an oral history of The Office" on Spotify which was a pretty solid binge listen. Apparently they were so close to getting cancelled the first two seasons and the only thing that kept them around was Carrell appearing in the 40 Year Old Virgin, which dominated at the box office. NBC didn't want to be known as the guys who fired the funniest man in Hollywood at that time, so they kept it on and then the show apparently hit its stride on the back 9 of season 2 and took off from there. 

• Like 1

I'm just about through season 4 of Dexter - it's leaving Netflix on 12/31 as well.  Not sure if I'll seek it out wherever it's going next - I've enjoyed it for the most part but it does get old.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

I'm just about through season 4 of Dexter - it's leaving Netflix on 12/31 as well.  Not sure if I'll seek it out wherever it's going next - I've enjoyed it for the most part but it does get old.

you'll be fine, season 4 is the best season then its downhill- like soap opera, weird, downhill. Just read synopsis's of those future seasons if you don't get to them, you aren't missing much. 

33 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

The Office leaving Netflix 12/31/20 and officially heading to Peacock. I can't see myself ever getting that, so am trying to rush through this re-watch I randomly started around Thanksgiving, around the time I came across "an oral history of The Office" on Spotify which was a pretty solid binge listen. Apparently they were so close to getting cancelled the first two seasons and the only thing that kept them around was Carrell appearing in the 40 Year Old Virgin, which dominated at the box office. NBC didn't want to be known as the guys who fired the funniest man in Hollywood at that time, so they kept it on and then the show apparently hit its stride on the back 9 of season 2 and took off from there. 

Funny, me and the wife are doing the same. I think I fell off watching it live somewhere around season 5. We're in season 6 now trying to get it all in before the deadline. We have 99 episodes left so not sure we'll make it. NBC sucks for pulling it. The office is a great piece to have for Netflix, but I don't think it's something people are going to purchase an entire additional streaming service for.

13 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

you'll be fine, season 4 is the best season then its downhill- like soap opera, weird, downhill. Just read synopsis's of those future seasons if you don't get to them, you aren't missing much. 

Yeah I read that season 5 and 7 got good reviews as well, but 6 and 8 were bad.  Like terrible bad.  

did i already post about better than us? :unsure:   anyway, i finally finished the 1st & only season of better than us on netflix. it's a russian sci-fi series with a plot that sort of resembles that fresh prince movie i-robot. i mostly enjoyed it...but i think a whole lot was lost in the translation from russian...it was cringeworthy at times.  oh well...the bro-ad who played the robot was hott. 

34 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Funny, me and the wife are doing the same. I think I fell off watching it live somewhere around season 5. We're in season 6 now trying to get it all in before the deadline. We have 99 episodes left so not sure we'll make it. NBC sucks for pulling it. The office is a great piece to have for Netflix, but I don't think it's something people are going to purchase an entire additional streaming service for.

Yeah, I think I'm a pretty mild Office fan, watched it semi live/semi binge during college years, then fell off when Carrell left and popped in out from there. I thought I heard during listening to the podcast that Carrell did 7 seasons and then they wrapped it at 9. The way they brought in all of the cameo bosses made it feel like it stretched on for another 5, in my mind. I was shocked to hear that it was only another two seasons, as obvious as that sounds in hindsight. Obviously it was never going to be the same without Michael. And apparently that was a contract dispute that lead to him leaving. Crazy when that happens. Just pay the people who make these things work. 

But yeah then in my late 20s a roommate I was living with at the time did a rewatch and every hour of every day seemingly I heard that god awful jingle in the beginning of the episodes. The guy never skipped the intro, or maybe that feature wasn't around yet. Made me want to never ever go back to this lol but here we are. 

1 minute ago, JBENT87 said:

Yeah, I think I'm a pretty mild Office fan, watched it semi live/semi binge during college years, then fell off when Carrell left and popped in out from there. I thought I heard during listening to the podcast that Carrell did 7 seasons and then they wrapped it at 9. The way they brought in all of the cameo bosses made it feel like it stretched on for another 5, in my mind. I was shocked to hear that it was only another two seasons, as obvious as that sounds in hindsight. Obviously it was never going to be the same without Michael. And apparently that was a contract dispute that lead to him leaving. Crazy when that happens. Just pay the people who make these things work. 

But yeah then in my late 20s a roommate I was living with at the time did a rewatch and every hour of every day seemingly I heard that god awful jingle in the beginning of the episodes. The guy never skipped the intro, or maybe that feature wasn't around yet. Made me want to never ever go back to this lol but here we are. 

Yeah without Carrell, you just don't have the show. He carries the entire thing. Sure there are other great characters but it doesnt make sense really to watch them on their own without Carrell driving everything. 2 seasons after Carrell sounds about right. I get it from the networks standpoint though, how much longer could it have really gone and been successful even with Michael. All good things have to end at some point.

1 minute ago, JBENT87 said:

i watched every ep during the original airing....and my entire family has probably seen every episode at least a dozen times. we love the show & it's almost always on our family room tv. 

tbs, the 2 seasons after carrell left were an abomination. they had to try waaaay to hard to get laughs...and it just didn't work. if you're doing a re-watch, it's best to watch up until carrell's last ep...then skip the rest except for the final 2 episodes.  

1 minute ago, mr_hunt said:

i watched every ep during the original airing....and my entire family has probably seen every episode at least a dozen times. we love the show & it's almost always on our family room tv. 

tbs, the 2 seasons after carrell left were an abomination. they had to try waaaay to hard to get laughs...and it just didn't work. if you're doing a re-watch, it's best to watch up until carrell's last ep...then skip the rest except for the final 2 episodes.  

good call. I'm gonna just cherry pick my way through (currently s5:15) and skip any that seem like filler (freaking 25-30 episode seasons) and hopefully finish off with those last two. 

it's a cbs show but season 1 is on netflix....evil...anybody watch it?   i'm about halfway through the season & i like it. the guy who played luke cage is in it...as is the guy who played ben in lost. 

pretty sure it was picked up for a 2nd season on cbs so i'll watch it on there instead of waiting for it to hit netflix.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

New season of Sabrina is up

Is that show any good?  I've never been able to bring myself to watch it. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Is that show any good?  I've never been able to bring myself to watch it. 

Not a fan of the direction it's going but I'm kind of invested and it's only 8 episodes this season

Kind of feels like they're just making crap of now

• Like 1

Just finished Sabrina season 4

Spoiler

Season was meh

When they started showing the tv show of Sabrina I knew the writers couldn't think of anything new. Lots of old tv shows go that route when they're failing

Did Lilith really kill her baby and turn him into a meal for Lucifer and then wish death upon herself later for killing her baby? That seemed assbackwards

Most of the time Lucifer was weak as hell but they kept mentioning how he's powerful

Lilith gets powerful just by drinking Lucifer's blood?? How stupid is that? If that's all it took for her to get powerful then why didn't she do that earlier

Why didn't they use the necklace idea to get Sabrina in the first place instead of just pulling her soul out of the void?

On 12/30/2020 at 8:10 AM, mr_hunt said:

it's a cbs show but season 1 is on netflix....evil...anybody watch it?   i'm about halfway through the season & i like it. the guy who played luke cage is in it...as is the guy who played ben in lost. 

pretty sure it was picked up for a 2nd season on cbs so i'll watch it on there instead of waiting for it to hit netflix.  

I'm dabbling with this. Was interested when it originally aired bc the trailers/previews looked intriguing, so was happy to see it pop up on Netflix. Definitely dig the CSI type vibe of every episode being its own story/case in re: to the subject material and "evil" beings. I just started the one after the hospital girls body swap situation. Definitely like the

plausible rationale at the end of the episodes for the paranormal happenings. Takes good writing to pull that off. I'm expecting at some point later in the season they'll hit a brick wall and have to admit X is a legit evil thing.

I watched Death to 2020.  I would give it an hysterical rating except for the fact that it was close to what reality is.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 9:59 AM, Gannan said:

Same. My dad taught me when I was 5. I've tried to teach my kids how to play and they have no interest in it what so ever. 

Bumping this because I meant to say this earlier but couldn't remember where/who it was, but I ended up getting a board game called "no stress chess" to teach my daughter and it worked surprisingly well. It's a card based approach that introduces the element of chance to keep things interesting. We played a handful of matches a day with cards, and by day 3 she was ready to ditch the cards and play it with standard rules. Highly recommend it if you want to try again with your kids.

8 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Bumping this because I meant to say this earlier but couldn't remember where/who it was, but I ended up getting a board game called "no stress chess" to teach my daughter and it worked surprisingly well. It's a card based approach that introduces the element of chance to keep things interesting. We played a handful of matches a day with cards, and by day 3 she was ready to ditch the cards and play it with standard rules. Highly recommend it if you want to try again with your kids.

WHAT?! man, my dad taught us chess at the age of 5 like this....he removes our Queen and kept all his pieces. If we could beat him like that, we'd get the queen next time but no castle...and so on. 

this has NOTHING to do with my coke habit at 18.

24 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Funny you brought that up. My dad bought that for my kids so they would learn They still have no interest. 

21 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

WHAT?! man, my dad taught us chess at the age of 5 like this....he removes our Queen and kept all his pieces. If we could beat him like that, we'd get the queen next time but no castle...and so on. 

this has NOTHING to do with my coke habit at 18.

Look on the bright side, Melvin, at least it made for an interesting childhood.

5 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Funny you brought that up. My dad bought that for my kids so they would learn They still have no interest. 

Bummer. I've heard of some computer games that might help, but I haven't tried any of them yet.

Demon Slayer was good, if anyone is into anime. 1 season on Netflix, they made a movie that should be coming to the US here in the next month or so that just replaced Spirited Away as Japan's biggest box office hit of all time, which is a huge deal.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2021 at 7:29 AM, devpool said:

Demon Slayer was good, if anyone is into anime. 1 season on Netflix, they made a movie that should be coming to the US here in the next month or so that just replaced Spirited Away as Japan's biggest box office hit of all time, which is a huge deal.

I like anime so it's on my list to watch. Good to know it wouldn't be a waste

11 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I like anime so it's on my list to watch. Good to know it wouldn't be a waste

I will warn you that there's one character who is absolutely insufferable, and I hate with every fiber of my being. But if you can ignore his parts here and there everything else is really great. I generally mute it whenever he starts talking cause the English voice actor is horrible. 

I watch dubbed because my tiny brain can't comprehend hearing one language and reading another while still following what is happening on screen.