Netflix Instant Recommendations

Captain F

I'm getting ready to say something so improbable, so crazy, so insane, that if you tell anyone else that I said it, I'll deny it, but, Hubie Halloween is not terrible.  I still can't believe I'm saying it, but it's actually pretty stinking funny at times.  Yes, it's Adam Sandler being Adam Sandler, stupid voice that makes him sound borderline mentally challenged, think The Waterboy, because it's almost the exact same thing, but this movie is actually better than some of his truly bad ones.  Don't get me wrong, it's not Uncut Gems (which was a bit overrated, his character was truly unlikeable, but it was still enjoyably intense), but it's  not That's My Boy, either.  And the supporting cast really seem to be enjoying themselves, which doesn't hurt.  If you've got an hour and half to kill, and want to get dumber during it by chuckling at stupid, immature jokes, then you could do worse.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The_Omega said:

I'm getting ready to say something so improbable, so crazy, so insane, that if you tell anyone else that I said it, I'll deny it, but, Hubie Halloween is not terrible.  I still can't believe I'm saying it, but it's actually pretty stinking funny at times.  Yes, it's Adam Sandler being Adam Sandler, stupid voice that makes him sound borderline mentally challenged, think The Waterboy, because it's almost the exact same thing, but this movie is actually better than some of his truly bad ones.  Don't get me wrong, it's not Uncut Gems (which was a bit overrated, his character was truly unlikeable, but it was still enjoyably intense), but it's  not That's My Boy, either.  And the supporting cast really seem to be enjoying themselves, which doesn't hurt.  If you've got an hour and half to kill, and want to get dumber during it by chuckling at stupid, immature jokes, then you could do worse.

Suitable for my 11yr old daughter?

6 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Suitable for my 11yr old daughter?

PG-13, probably.  There’s a bunch of crude sexual references, but not anything too bad. I doubt I’d feel comfortable watching with an 11 year old daughter, but you wouldn’t be a bad parent if you did.

• Like 1

Im almost through season 1 of Dark, have to say, love this show. Best thing I've watched in a while.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:33 PM, NVeagle said:

Anyone watch Triple Frontier?

Social Dilema?

Watched it last week - its really good.  Will make you really think about quitting the internet...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, The_Omega said:

...hold your tongue. 

Mercifully, I finished Bly Manor last night. Ending didn't help it's case, but it wasn't terrible either. But this is really bothering me:

Spoiler

So, the gardener lady was the one telling the story and was in her late 60s at least right. Assuming she's 35 during the events of Bly (which seems way too high anyway, but for argument's sake), we'd have to say at least 30 years have passed. So if the girl getting married is Flora, she's at least 38 if not into her 40s. Why does she appear to be in her early 20s in the final scenes? Why is Owen played by a different shorter, fatter actor who appears to be only several years older than Bly Manor Owen? Did I misunderstand the significance of Jamie seeing them as their younger selves and they were actually different people all along? WTF?

On 10/20/2020 at 10:10 AM, The_Omega said:

I've always said Sandler has like 3-4 goofy/crazy voices he does and that he just rotates through them in his comedy films.  He's smart enough to not do the same voice in back-to-back movies so the fans don't catch on that this is basically what he's doing.  I'm not putting him down, just saying this is pretty much what he does and he's been very successful doing it.  I haven't seen all his comedies and some I only saw the one time and it's been a long time since I've seen those, but I have seen Water Boy and Little Nicky more than once as those are my 2 favourites of his.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

Fauda was awesome..... Better than Jack Ryan 

Looks good.  I thought Jack Ryan was just meh.  I couldn't really get into it.  

19 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

I've always said Sandler has like 3-4 goofy/crazy voices he does and that he just rotates through them in his comedy films.  He's smart enough to not do the same voice in back-to-back movies so the fans don't catch on that this is basically what he's doing.  I'm not putting him down, just saying this is pretty much what he does and he's been very successful doing it.  I haven't seen all his comedies and some I only saw the one time and it's been a long time since I've seen those, but I have seen Water Boy and Little Nicky more than once as those are my 2 favourites of his.

Love the Waterboy, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they like Little Nicky  😂  In fact I believe that goes on a lot of "worst movies of all time" lists. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Love the Waterboy, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they like Little Nicky  😂  In fact I believe that goes on a lot of "worst movies of all time" lists. 

Eh, I thought it had enough funny moments.  It's not great or anything, but I wouldn't call it bad, either.  It's just a simple movie with enough laughs to make it worth watching.  

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 1:43 PM, iladelphxx said:

Fauda was awesome..... Better than Jack Ryan 

Yeah good one, gotta deal with subtitles. Interesting my Israeli bud won’t watch it I guess he feels reflects poorly on Israel, there are no angels over there. He did turn me on to Tehran which is kind of along the same genre. I only binged half a season but was decent. Will finish up next week after final episode

I thought Jack Ryan 1 was very good not so much season 2. 

"The Trial of the Chicago Seven" was extremely well done. Hands down the best Netflix movie made to date. Aaron Sorkin is such a gifted writer (which was why I watched it). Sascha Barron Coen was amazing as Abbie Hoffman (I didn't even realize it was him until half way through the movie). 

• Like 2

On 10/27/2020 at 9:26 AM, Gannan said:

"The Trial of the Chicago Seven" was extremely well done. Hands down the best Netflix movie made to date. Aaron Sorkin is such a gifted writer (which was why I watched it). Sascha Barron Coen was amazing as Abbie Hoffman (I didn't even realize it was him until half way through the movie). 

love sorkin, love legal films, love historical drama, love many of the cast.... movie was just ehh for me. don't plan to watch again. That judge is related to Trump 100% tho

On 10/27/2020 at 8:26 AM, Gannan said:

I really liked it, well made.

I have these in my list, any good?

Velvet Buzzsaw

Da 5 Bloods

Russian Doll

Last Chance U

Beasts of No Nation

Frontier

Dark

Maniac

18 hours ago, Aspiritfall said:

I'm through 1 episode of the Queens Gambit and it was really really good 

Finished it and it was great

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Velvet Buzzsaw

Da 5 Bloods

Russian Doll

Last Chance U

Beasts of No Nation

Frontier

Dark

Maniac

Beasts of No Nation was okay. But if you've seen Blood Diamond, you might be underwhelmed in comparison like I was.

Maniac is a mini-series and very unique. Same director and cinematographer from season 1 of True Detective. I personally loved it. For me, it was among the best Netflix has to offer, but I can see why it's not for everyone.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Velvet Buzzsaw

Da 5 Bloods

Russian Doll

Last Chance U

Beasts of No Nation

Frontier

Dark

Maniac

Velvet buzzsaw was awhile ago. I remember it being weird but kinda just meh. I liked Beasts but agree with WGB on his take. Dark seemed interesting but the dubbing made me lose attention and if you do you will be completely lost in the plot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Finished it and it was great

I just finished it now... It really was a great series 

7 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Velvet buzzsaw was awhile ago. I remember it being weird but kinda just meh. I liked Beasts but agree with WGB on his take. Dark seemed interesting but the dubbing made me lose attention and if you do you will be completely lost in the plot.

Dark, I preferred the dubbed to the subtitles but I know it’s debatable. Very good show, waiting for 3rd and final season. Not complaining but time travel seems to be in