Netflix Instant Recommendations

Captain F

Money Heist - Yes, I know that season 1 is 4 years old, and you all probably already watched it and discussed it 4 years ago, but I just got around to it.  This was a world wide phenomena?  Foreigners are weird.  I know that they think the same of us, and that doesn't bother me, so calm down.  This show is bad.  Really bad.  Bad acting, worse dialogue, and enough implausible plot twists to make a daytime soap opera writer lol.  Then, when it seems like it can't get anymore insanely ridiculous, it gets really interesting, and I can't wait to see what happens.  I'm embarrassed to say it, but I think I actually enjoyed it, and can't wait to watch season 2.  I'll be back in a couple of weeks to tell you how bad season 2 was, before I move on to season 3.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The_Omega said:

Money Heist - Yes, I know that season 1 is 4 years old, and you all probably already watched it and discussed it 4 years ago, but I just got around to it.  This was a world wide phenomena?  Foreigners are weird.  I know that they think the same of us, and that doesn't bother me, so calm down.  This show is bad.  Really bad.  Bad acting, worse dialogue, and enough implausible plot twists to make a daytime soap opera writer lol.  Then, when it seems like it can't get anymore insanely ridiculous, it gets really interesting, and I can't wait to see what happens.  I'm embarrassed to say it, but I think I actually enjoyed it, and can't wait to watch season 2.  I'll be back in a couple of weeks to tell you how bad season 2 was, before I move on to season 3.

That's a pretty good assessment of it.  I like his other show White lines much better.

On 2/5/2021 at 4:17 PM, devpool said:

I will warn you that there's one character who is absolutely insufferable, and I hate with every fiber of my being. But if you can ignore his parts here and there everything else is really great. I generally mute it whenever he starts talking cause the English voice actor is horrible. 

I watch dubbed because my tiny brain can't comprehend hearing one language and reading another while still following what is happening on screen.

Finished it. I thought it was really good. It's been added to my tv show tracker app lol

Spoiler

So was the black sword nothing special since it broke?

8 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Finished it. I thought it was really good. It's been added to my tv show tracker app lol

Reveal hidden contents

So was the black sword nothing special since it broke?

Spoiler

I think the importance of the black sword is that when it was given to Tanjiro, I believe they said black was the color shown for slayers that weren't expected to last very long. So it shattering and Tanjiro still surviving and getting a new one was kind of symbolic IMO of Tanjiro being looked at as a legitimate slayer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, devpool said:
  Hide contents

I think the importance of the black sword is that when it was given to Tanjiro, I believe they said black was the color shown for slayers that weren't expected to last very long. So it shattering and Tanjiro still surviving and getting a new one was kind of symbolic IMO of Tanjiro being looked at as a legitimate slayer.

Ok. I like that explanation better than the other one lol

Has anyone seen the show, "The Unsettling?"  I'm 2 episodes in and it's decent so far.  Some creepy aspects to it.  I'm just not expecting it to be really good since it's Netflix.  

mr. right with sam rockford, tim roth, and some chick named anna kendrick.

22 hours ago, The_Omega said:

The Crew - So far (1 episode), so bad.  So...so....bad.....

For some reason, I decided to watch the 2nd episode, and, you know what?  It's actually gotten funnier.  I'm about 5 episodes in now, and, it's not The Office, but I've seen far worse.  The laugh track is annoying, but the characters are likeable enough, and the new team owner looks really good in tight clothing.

I Care a Lot is worth a look especially if you have elders in your family.

A different kind of thriller - about scammers ripping off old people through "social services."
Very creepy and scary stuff.

Could have been based on the Philadelphia Corporation for Aging scammers who ripped off seniors over the years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eaglegenius said:

A different kind of thriller - about scammers ripping off old people through "social services."

Could have been based on the Philadelphia Corporation for Aging scammers who ripped off seniors over the years.

looked for that last night and it says it's not available yet ? i'm in it for the dinklage.

1 hour ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

looked for that last night and it says it's not available yet ? i'm in it for the dinklage.

I just watched it. It's excellent. 

Tribes of Europa

Reminds me a little of The 100

3 episodes in and it’s good so far. It’s also bilingual. They talk in English and German frequently 

"Hush"

Kind of a standard thriller/horror about a deaf writer who lives alone out in the woods being stalked by a psycho killer. It's by no means a masterpiece, but fans of the genre will probably like it. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Gannan said:

"Hush"

Kind of a standard thriller/horror about a deaf writer who lives alone out in the woods being stalked by a psycho killer. It's by no means a masterpiece, but fans of the genre will probably like it. 

This is also a Mike Flanagan film, so if you were into the Haunting of Hill House, Oculus, Doctor Sleep, Geralds Game, etc. Some of his stuff underwhelms but I'll always give his stuff a watch. 

• Like 2

Too lazy to research if this was already discussed, but The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel doc I thought was a lot of fun, and in a weird way felt like a part two to "Don't F with Cats."

a huge part of DFwC was the role the online community played in hunting the suspect/killer down and helping the police along the way catch this guy. It really showed how much power the everyday online message board person can have in these scenarios. But with this Cecil Hotel doc, it showed the downside to that, and how the online sleuths getting too deep ended up ruining a suspects life on top of just making a mountain out of a mole hill, with the ultimate resolution of death being

(don't click this if you intend on watching, as it discusses the cause of death of the victim)  

that the girl simply was out of her mind, being that she was bipolar and off her meds, which lead her to the place where she ultimately drowned. So no conspiracy, no kidnapping or haunting, just a girl who wasn't taking her medicine and it got her killed. And the online community wanted it to be so much more than that and ended up harassing innocent people along the way. I just felt like the message/takeaway was not everything is going to be a DFwC conspiracy, and let law enforcement do their jobs.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

Too lazy to research if this was already discussed, but The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel doc I thought was a lot of fun, and in a weird way felt like a part two to "Don't F with Cats."

Reveal hidden contents

a huge part of DFwC was the role the online community played in hunting the suspect/killer down and helping the police along the way catch this guy. It really showed how much power the everyday online message board person can have in these scenarios. But with this Cecil Hotel doc, it showed the downside to that, and how the online sleuths getting too deep ended up ruining a suspects life on top of just making a mountain out of a mole hill, with the ultimate resolution of death being

(don't click this if you intend on watching, as it discusses the cause of death of the victim)  

Reveal hidden contents

that the girl simply was out of her mind, being that she was bipolar and off her meds, which lead her to the place where she ultimately drowned. So no conspiracy, no kidnapping or haunting, just a girl who wasn't taking her medicine and it got her killed. And the online community wanted it to be so much more than that and ended up harassing innocent people along the way. I just felt like the message/takeaway was not everything is going to be a DFwC conspiracy, and let law enforcement do their jobs.

Agree on your takes.  This docuseries was awesome.  It's crazy that all this stuff happened, but I don't remember any of it when it was in the news.  If Netflix does 1 thing really well, it's docuseries.  DFwC, The Vanishing at Cecil Hotel, Making a Murderer, the Richard Ramirez docuseries (this series was beyond creepy), Wild Wild Country, and I could just keep going.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Agree on your takes.  This docuseries was awesome.  It's crazy that all this stuff happened, but I don't remember any of it when it was in the news.  If Netflix does 1 thing really well, it's docuseries.  DFwC, The Vanishing at Cecil Hotel, Making a Murderer, the Richard Ramirez docuseries (this series was beyond creepy), Wild Wild Country, and I could just keep going.  

yep, preach w these docuseries. These two specifically, IMO, suck you in and then eventually pivot to something where you're like "oh crap, I remember that! This is actually about THAT??"

I actually did remember hearing about DFwC and this Cecil Hotel case. Not the specifics at all, but just the grainy footage re: both cases. Re: Cecil Hotel, I thought it was presented as a possessed person and just assumed it was from Japan or China with the Asian girl involved. Also just may have subconsciously associated that girl with the character they play in horror lore, such as The Grudge. crap, it's probably safe to assume the first place I saw/heard about these cases was the old EMB. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 4:54 PM, eaglegenius said:

Talked about it in movie Thread.  I thought this movie broke the mold a bit.  The main character is really a horror movie villain, devious and evil as Hannibal Lector but believable.  Rosemund Pike really knocks it out of the park.  The movie unconvingcly tries to get you to root for her and then really screws with your head at the ending.  its peppered with winner takes all anarchism that reminds me of "too cool' 90's indie cinema.

23 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

yep, preach w these docuseries. These two specifically, IMO, suck you in and then eventually pivot to something where you're like "oh crap, I remember that! This is actually about THAT??"

I actually did remember hearing about DFwC and this Cecil Hotel case. Not the specifics at all, but just the grainy footage re: both cases. Re: Cecil Hotel, I thought it was presented as a possessed person and just assumed it was from Japan or China with the Asian girl involved. Also just may have subconsciously associated that girl with the character they play in horror lore, such as The Grudge. crap, it's probably safe to assume the first place I saw/heard about these cases was the old EMB. 

I remember the Cecil Hotel case vividly because I still can't get over there were two people who admitted that the water was discolored and tasted bad and they continued to drink it, shower and brush their teeth with it for days. I would never drink Hotel water from the faucet as is. It blows my mind they drank discolored water from that run down Hotel. 

• Like 2

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4378376/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Babylon Berlin, German with subtitles 3 seasons so far. Late 20’s season 3 just ended at the start of the depression and Hitler and his boys in the background. I’m sure he’ll be a much bigger part of the story whenever season 4 gets out

Cobra Kai 3 while I’m waiting and that Operation Odessa looks like it will hit the spot

4 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I remember the Cecil Hotel case vividly because I still can't get over there were two people who admitted that the water was discolored and tasted bad and they continued to drink it, shower and brush their teeth with it for days. I would never drink Hotel water from the faucet as is. It blows my mind they drank discolored water from that run down Hotel. 

They were from England though, weren't they?  It's still probably cleaner than their water.  👀