EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

Been watching Dean highlights and damn, we haven’t had a LB like this in a long time. He covers space so quickly and is an excellent tackler. Also very instinctive and reads defenses very well.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, jwill2420 said:

I love what the Eagles have done. AJ Brown should be a game changer and Jordan Davis is gonna be a beast once his pass move develops. 

One complaint is Nakobe Dean. Too many too’s. Too Small Too Slow Too Weak. He was protected in that Georgia D and was allowed to roam. That won’t happen in the NFL offenses will come after him. Other then that pretty good off season so far. 

I mean Jordan Davis will once again help him at the next level. Also, he’s not too slow when you watch him play. Weak? He is a sound tackler. He had something like a 92% tackle rate.

54 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

Been watching Dean highlights and damn, we haven’t had a LB like this in a long time. He covers space so quickly and is an excellent tackler. Also very instinctive and reads defenses very well.

Nakobe Dean could be our nickle LB in RD1, and only play a portion of the snaps, and still have a big impact on our defense.

22 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

image.thumb.png.941f4af692500133b63b8fed833cbfd8.png

Get it done Howie

If we draft Bryant today, that would complete the hat trick of college award winners

Very nice draft so far.  The only move I don't like is the AJ Brown trade, although that's a big one.

1 hour ago, Texas Eagle said:

Wake up Howie - time to deal the trade bait. I will be disappointed if at least one player doesn’t get moved.

You disappointed??? I’m shocked 

3 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Very nice draft so far.  The only move I don't like is the AJ Brown trade, although that's a big one.

Back in January... my response to these picks would have been...

Davis - YES!

Brown - Why?

Jurgens - Who?

Dean - YES!

Now my reactions are:  

Davis, Brown, Jurgens and Dean...

7cc9d20dc1401194c7dcb916cce506199265c285

He was the highest rated LB in the country, played in the toughest conference, and was the leader of the best defense in college.  
 This is Dean saving a TD, then screaming at Tindall, he does ish like this all season. 

7 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Was that the game he rushed for over 200 yards? The story I heard was that he wasn't feeling well that day and was hoping to sit out. And he saw a sign at the stadium that said STOP THE WHOP. He was so infuriated that he had the game of his career.

Honestly can't remember.  I know Cornell won, though.

Dean was "my guy" heading into the draft so Im obviously really pleased

Our defense is going to be a lot better

Can Hurts just not suck?  Thats where the bar is set, just dont lose the damn game

17 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Back in January... my response to these picks would have been...

Davis - YES!

Brown - Why?

Jurgens - Who?

Dean - YES!

Now my reactions are:  

Davis, Brown, Jurgens and Dean...

7cc9d20dc1401194c7dcb916cce506199265c285

I don't like that the Brown trade locks us in at WR for years to come.  I realize that sounds good...but Brown isn't exactly the mold of WR that I prefer or that is most sought after with the way the NFL is currently played.  

Brown and Smith are the end result of "the process" at WR...after 3 first round picks, a 2nd round pick, and $100m in 3 years, we are SPENT at WR.  This WR corps we have right now is what it is.  There will be no additions or improvements for years to come.  And I still do not believe that it's constructed to be elite.  

WRs go very early in the draft now and go for big money.  To pay huge money and huge picks for a WR who was drafted in round 2 himself and who I still do not view as an elite WR...that's a tough sell for me.  You've got to be able to successfully draft these guys and be the team that is selling them for big picks towards the end of the deal.  Rather than trade for Brown, I'd rather have utilized some draft capital in getting our own WR through the draft.

We haven’t had an Alpha LB like Dean since DeMeco Ryans. And ever since Jenkins left, there has been a leadership void on the defense.

Dean is the guy that will fill both.

18 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

He was the highest rated LB in the country, played in the toughest conference, and was the leader of the best defense in college.  
 This is Dean saving a TD, then screaming at Tindall, he does ish like this all season.

It’s incredible.  When was the last time we drafted a linebacker with these kind of instincts, leadership, playmaking skills?  Trotter maybe?  Possibly never.

Eagles devalue the position and tend to draft guys with traits, measurables and upside, and sometimes it works out for a bit, but usually they can’t play at all.  Quinton Caver the "Range Rover.”  Jamar Cheney ran a 4.51.  Didn’t matter when he reacted 3 seconds late every play.   They will take a guy early who has no instincts and can’t play but is athletic like a Davion Taylor, and then end up signing a UDFA guy who can’t run but can at least play the position like a TJ Edwards.  That’s how they try to address the position.  The owner/GM has held this philosophy for 20 years.

Drafting Dean was an awesome departure from the norms and I think it will have a great impact. 

I had dinner with Jerome Bettis last night, really interesting and engaging guy.  It was fun to get his perspective on the NFL's evolution away from the running game into a QB/WR only pass attack.  

Despite being a HOF power back, he did not have that nostalgic attachment to running offenses.  He said the game needed to evolve due to player health/concussions.  That, combined with advanced analytics show that passing is simply more efficient necessitated a fundamental change in the game.  Feels the WR position used to be all flash no substance but is now rightly viewed as one of the 2-3 most important positions in the game by coaches and GMs with how the game is now played, right behind QB and next to LT.

I never really put much weight into player perspectives, especially older ones.  But his was interesting and uniquely insightful because he managed to think beyond his now antiquated playing days...but mostly because it coincided with my opinion 😂

AJ Brown is a 24 year old top 12ish WR, whose skillset is an excellent compliment to Smith's and who wanted to be in Philadelphia. It really was a perfect storm. 

Completely fine with that trade and the contract, even knowing that it will probably be a full year before he can be really unleashed. 

He will play mike but maybe he is  better suited for Wil? Dean is very smart too

Will be so weird to see lbs that can drop into coverage

Honestly, I’m finding it difficult to be excited about Dean. He fell for a reason, and it’s not like we had special access to top secret medical records.

Maybe it was a combination of medicals, lack of testing, poor measurables, 

How often to these types of fallers work out for teams?

Thoughts on 1st 2 days.

-- I love the upside of the 3 draft picks. Davis and Jurgens are freak athletes. Dean dominated in the SEC. You could make an argument that each guy's ceiling is top 5-10 at their position. That's a great haul.

-- Coming into this draft, I wanted 4 starters. Maybe that's a little unrealistic, but I think between Davis, Brown, Jurgens, and Dean, the Eagles have a better chance than not of getting 4 starters.

-- Biggest critique? Last year's day 1 and 2 picks: WR, iOL, DT. This year's day 1 and 2 picks: DT, WR, iOL, LB. I know they had to solve the WR problem, and that Davis adds a different dimension to the defense, and that the Eagles seem to think Jurgens can be the next Kelce. But it would be nice to get some investment at edge rusher, CB, and S.

1 minute ago, DEagle7 said:

AJ Brown is a 24 year old top 12ish WR, whose skillset is an excellent compliment to Smith's and who wanted to be in Philadelphia. It really was a perfect storm. 

Completely fine with that trade and the contract, even knowing that it will probably be a full year before he can be really unleashed. 

I don't agree with the notion that WRs need to complement each other...a bruising possession WR with a burner.  We've tried to create that match for years on offense here, generally with very disappointing results.

Just as the ideal NBA scoring offense has evolved (or devolved) into precision perimeter shooters, the ideal NFL scoring offense involves uncoverable separation from 2-3 WRs for true flag football.  

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Honestly, I’m finding it difficult to be excited about Dean. He fell for a reason, and it’s not like we had special access to top secret medical records.

Don't worry, he's going to step on the field and immediately perform better than any LB we have had in years.

Your excitement will soon follow.

3 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I don't agree with the notion that WRs need to complement each other...a bruising possession WR with a burner.  We've tried to create that match for years on offense here, generally with very disappointing results.

Just as the ideal NBA scoring offense has evolved (or devolved) into precision perimeter shooters, the ideal NFL scoring offense involves uncoverable separation from 2-3 WRs for true flag football.  

I don't think it's something we should try to shoehorn in through the draft. Take the best receiver available and make it work.  When you're dealing with a know quantity though I think it's a nice bonus. Not the deciding factor but all other things being equal I think it's helpful to have complimentary skill-sets. 

10 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Landon Dickerson?

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Landon Dickerson?

I don’t really count him because I knew the injury wouldn’t lead to a redshirt, and he actually went higher than expected after the injury. 

2 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

DK Metcalf as well.

That’s a big one. 

Archived