EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

Two alphas Davis and Dean

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhhh..typical Howie attitude.  Not taking anything away from the draft but it honestly never fails.  Anytime there is a strength in the draft he prefers the guys who get pushed down.

I know it's a broken record but he really needs to find a way to get back in the 4th.  Some really good talent sitting there.  

9 hours ago, downundermike said:

At some point, it would be nice to get immediate production from the draft.  AJ is the only one this year, and not really a draft pick.  Dickerson was good, DeVonta was OK, but not an explosion like Chase or JJ.  

The last draft pick we made that created immediate excitement week 1 was Wentz.

Jordan Davis will absolutely play year one. We rotate our DL heavily. I expect him to have 40+% of the snaps.

22 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Honestly, I’m finding it difficult to be excited about Dean. He fell for a reason, and it’s not like we had special access to top secret medical records.

Maybe it was a combination of medicals, lack of testing, poor measurables, 

How often to these types of fallers work out for teams?

Trotter

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I don’t really count him because I knew the injury wouldn’t lead to a redshirt, and he actually went higher than expected after the injury.

Are we sure that Dean is going to miss the season? He hasn't missed a game in his college career, he expected to be drafted in the first round and he's had surgery before, so it's not like he was going against his doctors by refusing to get operated on.

3 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Are we sure that Dean is going to miss the season? He hasn't missed a game in his college career, he expected to be drafted in the first round and he's had surgery before, so it's not like he was going against his doctors by refusing to get operated on.

He's going to be on the field for rookie camp next week.

1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

No, I’m taking the Eagles at their word about no surgery scheduled. My guess is that teams expect he’ll need one after the season or that he is at high risk for injury in season. 

The odds of landing a starter after pick 100 is somewhere in the 10-15% range, so don't overvalue those 4th and 5th rd picks Howie gave up to land close to "sure things."

And Howie's right, this should be a great UDFA class.

Though he's also hinted he's going to acquire more picks (i.e. Dillard, Herbig, on the trade block).

But he also acquired those "later round picks" last season with Scott (23), Gowan (24), Vincent (23) - guys who are similar to a lot of the DBs who'd be available today - with the benefit of having a year to coach them. A couple dropped due to taking off a year b/c of COVID.

Who cares if so, we used a 3 on the best linebacker in the nation

40 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I don't like that the Brown trade locks us in at WR for years to come.  I realize that sounds good...but Brown isn't exactly the mold of WR that I prefer or that is most sought after with the way the NFL is currently played.  

Brown and Smith are the end result of "the process" at WR...after 3 first round picks, a 2nd round pick, and $100m in 3 years, we are SPENT at WR.  This WR corps we have right now is what it is.  There will be no additions or improvements for years to come.  And I still do not believe that it's constructed to be elite.  

WRs go very early in the draft now and go for big money.  To pay huge money and huge picks for a WR who was drafted in round 2 himself and who I still do not view as an elite WR...that's a tough sell for me.  You've got to be able to successfully draft these guys and be the team that is selling them for big picks towards the end of the deal.  Rather than trade for Brown, I'd rather have utilized some draft capital in getting our own WR through the draft.

Eh, there are 3 "starters” at WR. Quez is the third guy for now, but once we get our long term QB I would expect us to start looking at WR again.

Stoutland probably preferred Jergens to Linderbaum for a number of reasons:

Jergens has an inch of height, 33" to 31" arms, and 7 more lbs and a frame that can probably add a few more - that means as a rookie Jergens is more capable of backing up at guard as well as center.

Linderbaum is a polished, finished product - what you see is what you get - but his lack of bulk and short arms will make him vulnerable in pass protection at the NFL level and make it harder to finish blocks at the 2nd level.

Jergens will need more coaching up, but has conventional C/G measurements, and Stoutland isn't going to worry about coaching him up - he may never be the technician like Linderbaum, but he's not chopped liver, either. And he has the snarl that Stoutland likes.

As far as pure athleticism, the difference between the two is pretty marginal, Linderbaum might have a slight edge on quickness and agility, Jergens on lower body explosion. But they test almost identically.

Linderbaum 6'2 296 4.98 1.71 24 4.38 7.14 32 9'2
Jergens 6'3 303 4.91 1.71 25 4.48 7.19 33 9'11
Kelce 6'3 280 4.89 1.70 -- 4.14 7.22 30 9'2

Since the Eagles don't need to start Jergens in 2023, upside has more value to them than NFL readiness.

And of course, Kelce likes him. And Kelce is the MAN.

7 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Are we sure that Dean is going to miss the season? He hasn't missed a game in his college career,

Are you sure ??  While I see the report that he never missed a game in college, he only played in 11 of Georgia's 14 games in 2019.

He missed the 1st, 3rd and 4th games of that season.

As far as Dean, we have starters in place with White, Edwards, Reddick. Taylor, Stevens (redshirt season), Johnson on the bench.

So it's not the end of the world if he misses a month, he doesn't have to start immediately, but what great depth to have a high IQ rookie who'll quickly get up to speed.

Having 3 WRs set will allow Howie to draft "fliers" such as Watkins at WR the next few years and use his 1st rd picks for other positions.

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:
Stoutland probably preferred Jergens to Linderbaum for a number of reasons:

Jergens has an inch of height, 33" to 31" arms, and 7 more lbs and a frame that can probably add a few more - that means as a rookie Jergens is more capable of backing up at guard as well as center.

Linderbaum is a polished, finished product - what you see is what you get - but his lack of bulk and short arms will make him vulnerable in pass protection at the NFL level and make it harder to finish blocks at the 2nd level.

Jergens will need more coaching up, but has conventional C/G measurements, and Stoutland isn't going to worry about coaching him up - he may never be the technician like Linderbaum, but he's not chopped liver, either. And he has the snarl that Stoutland likes.

As far as pure athleticism, the difference between the two is pretty marginal, Linderbaum might have a slight edge on quickness and agility, Jergens on lower body explosion. But they test almost identically.

Linderbaum 6'2 296 4.98 1.71 24 4.38 7.14 32 9'2
Jergens 6'3 303 4.91 1.71 25 4.48 7.19 33 9'11
Kelce 6'3 280 4.89 1.70 -- 4.14 7.22 30 9'2

Since the Eagles don't need to start Jergens in 2023, upside has more value to them than NFL readiness.

And of course, Kelce likes him. And Kelce is the MAN.

The biggest difference between the 2 is Linderbaum's technique and 25 vs. 51.  Athleticism, upside, frame all pretty close with arguably razor thin advantages to Jergens on all.

I like Jergens in round 2 better than Linderbaum round 1, especially given the benefit of the doubt that the staff has earned with all OL picks.

We just drafted our own beast NT, so obviously the Eagles anticipate value in disrupting the passing game through interior pocket collapse.  Both Linderbaum and Jergens will need to prove that they are not vulnerable to that.  Jergens has a bit of an edge there too.

Not many picks left. Maybe we trade for more. Dunno.

Maybe we trade post draft / precseason, player for player with another team with excess at CB or S. 

UDFA coming up. Hit or miss. Camp fodder.

Back to free agency for Howie to fill positions of need. CB S.

C'mon Honey Badger.

11 minutes ago, TEW said:

Eh, there are 3 "starters” at WR. Quez is the third guy for now, but once we get our long term QB I would expect us to start looking at WR again.

If we are going to look WR again after finally finding the right QB (and I agree we should), then I would not have invested so much into Brown.

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Are you sure ??  While I see the report that he never missed a game in college, he only played in 11 of Georgia's 14 games in 2019.

He missed the 1st, 3rd and 4th games of that season.

Yup, I stand corrected. He did miss three games as a freshman.

43 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Honestly, I’m finding it difficult to be excited about Dean. He fell for a reason, and it’s not like we had special access to top secret medical records.

Maybe it was a combination of medicals, lack of testing, poor measurables, 

How often to these types of fallers work out for teams?

Middle linebacker doesn't necessarily require elite measurables for great play. Dean also I don't think missed a single game in his college career due to injury

I wanted NOTHING to do with him in the first round. But in the middle of the 3rd? Most middle of the third round guys end up as backups. Dean is going to start week 1 

14 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Why is Linderbaum, born April 7 2000 a finished product, but Jurgens who is older than him, born August 21 1999 need more coaching ??

Jurgens also played in 31 games at Nebraska, Linderbaum only played in 22 games at Iowa.

So why is the younger guy who has played less games in college a finished product ????

Sometimes I really wonder if you actually believe the nonsense you post.

https://insidetheiggles.com/2022/04/22/nfl-draft-prospect-eagles-jason-kelce/

Could Tyler Linderbaum really be a clone of the Eagles legend?

NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein is one of the best in the business when it comes to analyzing college football’s prospects, and in his NFL Draft profile, he compares Linderbaum to Jason Kelce. The physical similarities are obvious. Kelce is six-foot-three and 295 pounds and there were quite a few references to him being undersized when he entered the league as well.

Zierlein also mentions a few of the things he sees as strengths. Linderbaum’s "hands, hips, and feet are harmonious”. He looks for "additional work when uncovered”. Zierlein also likes the fact that the 2021 Unanimous All-American and Rimington Trophy winner is accurate in his "roadmaps” whenever he’s hitting those "second-level angles”.

4 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Yup, I stand corrected. He did miss three games as a freshman.

I still can not find anything about it being injury related, so not sure why he missed those games.

Dean was a great example of the board breaking our way. 

We needed a LB.  We justifiably (sorry for the LB fans) do not draft LB in round 1.  A round 1 LB fell to round 3.  The rest is history.

He's going to be very good.  The biggest concern was how he'd do without playing behind the wall he had at Georgia, but they drafted the wall too.

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

If we are going to look WR again after finally finding the right QB (and I agree we should), then I would not have invested so much into Brown.

I think it will make sense though. 3 and 4 WR sets are the norm. Quez is a nice player, but in a perfect world he’s your 4th WR.

Brown is your physical, RAC type of WR.

Smith is your smooth, technical type of WR.

Watkins is your fast, long type of WR.

Assuming Reagor doesn’t suddenly turn things around, that leaves space for another speed guy. We have Brown on a long term contract. Smith will get one in a few years. So we’ll probably be looking at a 2nd-4th round pick at WR in 2 years. That’ll balance out the salary with a rookie contract and then we can let Brown walk at the end of his deal and give that money to the rookie on his 2nd contract.

Yes, it would have been much better to get DK etc with mid round picks before, but it is what it is. We solidified the position but still have the ability to add more opportunistically IMO.

3 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

His closing speed is nuts, geez.

That play against Michigan where he crossed the entire field is insane

Archived