EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

7 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’d like to see him with a stretch of games with a better QB before I make a final judgement. 

Its a chicken egg situation. 

(1) Hurts not improving because Sirianni/staff suck at coaching him up?

Or

(2) Does Hurts just suck and Sirianni/staff is good?

Or

(3) They both suck.

Nobody can objectively say that Sirianni called a good game yesterday.  He looked as lost as he did at the beginning of the season.  Bucs playing 8 yrds off Smith and the best player on our offense doesn't even get a first half target?  Wtf?

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

Legit question: How much faith do you have in Sirianni and the coaching staff to coach up whatever QB is here?  

Sirianni pretty much crapped the bed yesterday with his pathetically stupid game plan and in game adjustments.  

Not sure but the play calling is good. Nick has been able to get receivers open. Hurts barely progressed as a QB. Don't know if that's a negative towards the QB coach or the HC

I think the most underrated and non discussed play from yesterday was Hurts on the last play throwing high and giving Smith a direct shot to the kidneys as an off-season parting gift. 

1 minute ago, Cliftoma said:

It like a chicken egg situation. 

Or

Or

(3) They both suck.

Nobody can objectively say that Sirianni called a good yesterday.  He looked as lost as he did at the beginning of the season

I’m not sold on Siri either, but I have him a few ticks above Hurts. 

The Eagles go 9-8 and make the playoffs, but the 3 main cogs of the organization going forward(Hurts, Sirianni, Gannon) none have done anything to cement themselves as long-term solutions with confidence. Even Sirianni. He was fine this year. Not great, but fine. We've seen coaches come out hot and flame out before in this town. Chip, Doug won a Fing Super Bowl and was gone a few years after. Wouldn't shock me if a year from now, the opinion of Sirianni is significantly less than it is now if the Eagles don't take a major leap next season. Which is unlikely unless the QB is significantly upgraded.

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think the most underrated and non discussed play from yesterday was Hurts on the last play throwing high and giving Smith a direct shot to the kidneys as an off-season parting gift. 

Not from this play. But from the language on the field it doesn’t seem like Hurts and Smith were getting along towards the end of the year.

6 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

Its a chicken egg situation. 

Or

Or

(3) They both suck.

Nobody can objectively say that Sirianni called a good game yesterday.  He looked as lost as he did at the beginning of the season.  Bucs playing 8 yrds off Smith and the best player on our offense doesn't even get a first half target?  Wtf?

You could argue Sirianni had receivers schemed open and Hurts just didn’t find them in time or failed to pull the trigger. Just go look at his INT right before the half. Smith broke the DBs ankles that was covering him, and the TE was wide open for the 1st down. Hurts failed to see either of them until it was way too late and he under throws the ball.

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

And Tom Brady actually caught that pass. Glad it was that one instead of during LII. 

People are reading WAY too much into one game early in the career of both Hurts and Sirianni.

It's not like the Eagles are one player from winning a SB. So no need to rush to judgement or make panic moves.

Of course, this board is chock full of "experts" who know more than anyone in the NFL.  :rolleyes: (well, maybe JR, the rest of you  . . . )

Josh Allen's 2nd season, lost in PO 19-22, 24-46 264 0-0, rushed 9 for 92. Not exactly a shining moment for passing QBs.

I'd put up Herbert's first PO game, but, he has yet to make the playoffs.

Burrow had a good 1st PO game.

Mac Jones, 24-38 232 2-2 , both TDs in garbage time down 31-3

Derek Carr, 1st PO game at age 30:  29-54  310  1-1

D Watson, 29-45  235  1-1

Dak had a good 1st  PO game

Wentz, he's played in one PO game, went 1 for 4 for 3 yards

Foles had a good PO game in 2012,

6 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

What are the consensus thoughts here on Desmond Ridder?

I think decision making issues are a scary thing. I dont really think guys ever fix that. 

There are some QBs, like we are seeing with the Rams this year, who might throw an INT or 2 just about every game, and they are good enough that you can still win with them.

And then there are others who are just too turnover prone, and cant overcome it. 

I am intrigued by what he can become once he is coached up on mechanics, but concerned that decision making issues will continue to plague him. Id just have to trust the eagles judgement on him. 

Hes probably the most exciting QB prospect based on upside. But biggest boom or bust. 

22 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

You could argue Sirianni had receivers schemed open and Hurts just didn’t find them in time or failed to pull the trigger. Just go look at his INT right before the half. Smith broke the DBs ankles that was covering him, and the TE was wide open for the 1st down. Hurts failed to see either of them until it was way too late and he under throws the ball.

Again, we don't know what Hurts is being taught in terms of progressions and during the week.  I mean Sirianni showed them some Rocky and Kobe clips but did he really prepare Hurts and the rest of the team? 

Yes, Hurts is late but is that due to Sirianni not teaching him the game? 🤷‍♂️

Not making excuses.  Just not sold on any of the bunch Sirianni, Hurts and especially not Gannon.  

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

People are reading WAY too much into one game early in the career of both Hurts and Sirianni.

It's not like the Eagles are one player from winning a SB. So no need to rush to judgement or make panic moves.

Of course, this board is chock full of "experts" who know more than anyone in the NFL.  :rolleyes: (well, maybe JR, the rest of you  . . . )

Josh Allen's 2nd season, lost in PO 19-22, 24-46 264 0-0, rushed 9 for 92. Not exactly a shining moment for passing QBs.

I'd put up Herbert's first PO game, but, he has yet to make the playoffs.

Burrow had a good 1st PO game.

Mac Jones, 24-38 232 2-2 , both TDs in garbage time down 31-3

Derek Carr, 1st PO game at age 30:  29-54  310  1-1

D Watson, 29-45  235  1-1

Dak had a good 1st  PO game

Wentz, he's played in one PO game, went 1 for 4 for 3 yards

Foles had a good PO game in 2012,

Well he found us already, I guess it was fun while it lasted

23 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

Legit question: How much faith do you have in Sirianni and the coaching staff to coach up whatever QB is here?  

Sirianni pretty much crapped the bed yesterday with his pathetically stupid game plan and in game adjustments.  

I am not saying Sirianni was perfect yesterday. He wasn't.

The team was down three scores almosy immediately because our QB can't complete passes beyond a yard. He was 35% on such throws yesterday.

I've asked others the same question, what did you expect Sirianni to do differently? Run heavy? Down three scores in Tampa against the GOAT? Yeah, no.

4 minutes ago, Swoop said:

The team was down three scores almosy immediately because our QB can't complete passes beyond a yard. He was 35% on such throws yesterday.

I've asked others the same question, what did you expect Sirianni to do differently? Run heavy? Down three scores in Tampa against the GOAT? Yeah, no.

I would say more schemed up deep shots early but we tried it and Hurts wouldn’t throw it. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Seems like I see those first three picks in 75 percent of fan mocks. 

Sometimes I take Lloyd over dean. Sometimes I take a CB over Brisker. But until they shake up the rankings a bit, its pretty much the same 5 easy choices.

I did some things different this time though. Added a lot of edge talent. Ojabo is a DE, Tyreke Smith is a hybrid edge. Beavers is as well, but hes more of a LB. I liked the idea of pairing the huge LB (who can still move) with smaller Dean. Also to protect Dean, I added a gigantic DT in Robert Cooper from FSU.

10 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Just saying for the point of argument that maybe Sirianni sucks at coaching.  Who knows how he and the staff are preparing Hurts to play each week and if they are effective teachers??

I know, as Philly fans, we have always had a myopic view on the QB position.  And the backup is ALWAYS the most popular player on the team. 

So, if they draft a guy with more arm talent and he still sucks at reading a defense because Sirianni/staff sucks at coaching them, then how many years more do we lose before they figure that out?

Point is that we have a rookie Qb with a rookie coach.  Do they really know what they have in either??

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Sometimes I take Lloyd over dean. Sometimes I take a CB over Brisker. But until they shake up the rankings a bit, its pretty much the same 5 easy choices.

I did some things different this time though. Added a lot of edge talent. Ojabo is a DE, Tyreke Smith is a hybrid edge. Beavers is as well, but hes more of a LB. I liked the idea of pairing the huge LB (who can still move) with smaller Dean. Also to protect Dean, I added a gigantic DT in Robert Cooper from FSU.

I didn’t get to watch as much college ball this year, but Brisker was legitimately great every time I watched Penn State. I know he was a Senior Bowl invite last year so he’s older. How old is he?

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

I didn’t get to watch as much college ball this year, but Brisker was legitimately great every time I watched Penn State. I know he was a Senior Bowl invite last year so he’s older. How old is he?

Born 4/20/99

5 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

Just saying for the point of argument that maybe Sirianni sucks at coaching.  Who knows how he and the staff are preparing Hurts to play each week and if they are effective teachers??

I know, as Philly fans, we have always had a myopic view on the QB position.  And the backup is ALWAYS the most popular player on the team. 

So, if they draft a guy with more arm talent and he still sucks at reading a defense because Sirianni/staff sucks at coaching them, then how many years more do we lose before they figure that out?

Point is that we have a rookie Qb with a rookie coach.  Do they really know what they have in either??

Given that many of the issues with Hurts that we saw yesterday are issues we saw earlier in the year, last year and in college...

I would be more inclined to say that the problem is Hurts. At the very least, the bigger problem.

Archived