EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

9 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

Just saying for the point of argument that maybe Sirianni sucks at coaching.  Who knows how he and the staff are preparing Hurts to play each week and if they are effective teachers??

I know, as Philly fans, we have always had a myopic view on the QB position.  And the backup is ALWAYS the most popular player on the team. 

So, if they draft a guy with more arm talent and he still sucks at reading a defense because Sirianni/staff sucks at coaching them, then how many years more do we lose before they figure that out?

Point is that we have a rookie Qb with a rookie coach.  Do they really know what they have in either??

There is plenty of film of wide open receivers and Hurts is not seeing them while bailing a clean pocket.  Hurts is the issue.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Swoop said:

Given that many of the issues with Hurts that we saw yesterday are issues we saw earlier in the year, last year and in college...

I would be more inclined to say that the problem is Hurts. At the very least, the bigger problem.

Fair enough...just something to consider, especially if they are going to spend a high draft pick on a QB.  

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

There is plenty of film of wide open receivers and Hurts is not seeing them while bailing a clean pocket.  Hurts is the issue.

Yeah, there is film of him missing open receivers.  Every QB does.  But, the question is a legitimate question, is Sirianni/staff adequately preparing the QB to read defenses and make it easier to know where to go with the ball pre snap so he doesnt miss those open receivers?

I'm definitely not sold on Hurts but I'm equally not sold on Sirianni and their staff.  Really hoping that Gannon gets hired away and they get a legit DC.  That guy blows.  I would take Schwartz over him any day of the week.   Would really love to see Fangio run that side of the ball

35 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I think decision making issues are a scary thing. I dont really think guys ever fix that. 

There are some QBs, like we are seeing with the Rams this year, who might throw an INT or 2 just about every game, and they are good enough that you can still win with them.

And then there are others who are just too turnover prone, and cant overcome it. 

I am intrigued by what he can become once he is coached up on mechanics, but concerned that decision making issues will continue to plague him. Id just have to trust the eagles judgement on him. 

Hes probably the most exciting QB prospect based on upside. But biggest boom or bust. 

Yeah I see him as the biggest dice roll QB day 1-3. Has a better arm than Jalen and still has mobility as well. 

32 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

image.thumb.png.2d0d7ba0838fc6b06930b4a3561ee771.png

:lol: Master Teague

44 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think the most underrated and non discussed play from yesterday was Hurts on the last play throwing high and giving Smith a direct shot to the kidneys as an off-season parting gift. 

There were many throws that were high, away, and didn’t hit the broad side of a barn.  Just an abysmal performance 

28 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

Just saying for the point of argument that maybe Sirianni sucks at coaching.  Who knows how he and the staff are preparing Hurts to play each week and if they are effective teachers??

I know, as Philly fans, we have always had a myopic view on the QB position.  And the backup is ALWAYS the most popular player on the team. 

So, if they draft a guy with more arm talent and he still sucks at reading a defense because Sirianni/staff sucks at coaching them, then how many years more do we lose before they figure that out?

Point is that we have a rookie Qb with a rookie coach.  Do they really know what they have in either??

Sirianni is only a problem if he believes Hurts is a QB 

Go Rams! 

I want Dallas to be the only home team to lose this weekend. 

4 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Without trading or taking a QB:

image.thumb.png.49816f4258bef6da3b5da6d9cf8f9ba6.png

I don’t understand what PFF is doing with  Leal. Nice pick.

45 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

Again, we don't know what Hurts is being taught in terms of progressions and during the week.  I mean Sirianni showed them some Rocky and Kobe clips but did he really prepare Hurts and the rest of the team? 

Yes, Hurts is late but is that due to Sirianni not teaching him the game? 🤷‍♂️

Not making excuses.  Just not sold on any of the bunch Sirianni, Hurts and especially not Gannon.  

Hurts is late with throws because he sucks. Siri shouldn't need to teach that.

4 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Go Rams! 

I want Dallas to be the only home team to lose this weekend. 

Don’t see how that would bother Dallas. However I hate the Rams so go Niners!

2 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

I’m seeing a lot of mock drafts having the Eagles using all 3 first rounders on defensive guys. I don’t see this happening. 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Wow.  No chance Leal or Smoke go that late.  But if they could, major win. 

Completely agree. Their rankings are jacked. But a man can dream. 

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

What are the consensus thoughts here on Desmond Ridder?

I want to like Desmond Ridder.  I’m just not a believer.  He reminds me of a young Kaepernick in terms of skill set, but he’s a bit slimmer build.  He’s got a good arm but erratic, he runs way too much — same with Howell, Corral and Willis.  The Eagles already have a one read and run QB.  I don’t think Ridder’s frame will take NFL hits.  Hurts is 6’1 and 220 and much more able to absorb hits.  Ridder is listed at 6’4 and 215.  I wouldn’t want the Eagles to draft him before the 4th round.  He needs at least one year of development, maybe more.  

There is such a sad shortage of prototypical pocket, read the field and distribute QBs available out of college right now; it’s a shame.  I wish Tyler Shough would have stayed healthy this season.  6’5, 225, throws 60 yards with minimal trouble, and mobile.  Raw, but he’s a guy I’d have wanted the Eagles to draft and develop 

7 minutes ago, greend said:

Fans are going to fan.  Always the QB's fault. 

Just like Dak is the whole problem with the 'ish show that McCarthy has going on.  He didn't make that decision.  McCarthy and Kellen Moore did but Dak gets all the hate

6 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Agreed. He’s a no brainer in R2. 

4 minutes ago, greend said:

Yep. 

There are things you can teach QBsbut some things you either have it or you don’t. 

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

I want to like Desmond Ridder.  I’m just not a believer.  He reminds me of a young Kaepernick in terms of skill set, but he’s a bit slimmer build.  He’s got a good arm but erratic, he runs way too much — same with Howell, Corral and Willis.  The Eagles already have a one read and run QB.  I don’t think Ridder’s frame will take NFL hits.  Hurts is 6’1 and 220 and much more able to absorb hits.  Ridder is listed at 6’4 and 215.  I wouldn’t want the Eagles to draft him before the 4th round.  He needs at least one year of development, maybe more.  

There is such a sad shortage of prototypical pocket, read the field and distribute QBs available out of college right now; it’s a shame.  I wish Tyler Shough would have stayed healthy this season.  6’5, 225, throws 60 yards with minimal trouble, and mobile.  Raw, but he’s a guy I’d have wanted the Eagles to draft and develop 

I just wish Strong didn’t have the injury history. Love the arm but the knee scares me. 

Archived