EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

Yeah, there is film of him missing open receivers.  Every QB does.  But, the question is a legitimate question, is Sirianni/staff adequately preparing the QB to read defenses and make it easier to know where to go with the ball pre snap so he doesnt miss those open receivers?

I'm definitely not sold on Hurts but I'm equally not sold on Sirianni and their staff.  Really hoping that Gannon gets hired away and they get a legit DC.  That guy blows.  I would take Schwartz over him any day of the week.   Would really love to see Fangio run that side of the ball

I believe the coaches can only teach a QB so much.  To me the abilities to see most of the field and be able to process quickly and know where to go with the ball are natural and innate.  So a QB either has it or he doesn't.  These are things that a QB can learn to only a marginal extent, so if even if Hurts does work on these abilities his improvement won't be enough for him to be a consistent decent starting NFL QB since he lacks that instinct.  Basically what we see now is mostly what he is and will be with just a marginal improvement.  Some QBs do have these abilities, but just never had to dial in on them in HS/college since most schools use the one read concept.  Then when they get to the NFL that's when you can start to see the difference between those who have it and those who don't.  So it's up to scouts to do their due diligence and talk to their coaches and find out what their potential is.

What he can improve on and be significantly better at is his mechanics, which are poor and considering he doesn't possess a strong arm he needs to have top notch mechanics.  And his pocket awareness is also poor.  Too many times and consistently over the season he broke from mostly clean pockets and actually ran into a bad situation when all he had to do was step/slide 1-2 steps forward/left/right.  He lacks this ability.  Again, to me this is something where a QB either has it or he doesn't and coaches can only teach a QB so much when it comes to things that are more instincts than learned behaviour.  He also doesn't keep his eyes downfield when he breaks from the pocket and often doesn't reset his feet to get good velocity on the throw.

You could say that Hurts only participating lightly in TC and barely playing in PS (Did he even play a couple series?) was the wrong call by Sirianni and I'd agree.  He clearly needed lots of reps to be better.  I still think drafting him in the 2nd Round was a bad decision as I never thought of him as anything more than a backup.  Yeah, we don't know what goes on in practices or in the QB room, but IMO Hurts has always had a limited ceiling and any amount of coaching won't improve him enough to be a mid tier NFL starting QB.  He has too many holes in his game.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah.  Drama Queen causing trouble.  Great idea.  

what happened to rooting for chaos?

20 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

New Blog page, same BS.

I don't get the comparison.  It's irrelevant.  Totally different situations for each of them so it's like comparing apples to underwater sea rice.  And who cares what other QBs did in their first playoff start?  Doesn't change Hurts' poor performance. 

23 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

New Blog page, same BS.

Best part of the off season will be Lowie trading for a QB so we can see how he spins it.

36 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Excellent, you even got the punter.

But does he last to pick 210?  I could see some team taking him in the 5th.  Kid is a weapon in the field position battle.

Tell me again how Beckham sucks and it wasn’t the Browns/Mayfield wasting him. Kupp and him on the field at the same time is like a Madden ultimate team. 

4 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

But does he last to pick 210?  I could see some team taking him in the 5th.  Kid is a weapon in the field position battle.

There’s some other punter ranked above him on a few sites believe it or not. I forget the guys name. 

Some QBs can be taught, some can't, few have the innate ability to see the field, that's taught over seasons of film watching and experience. Some never learn.

Since there are no good options to Hurts (other than mortgage the future on a ???), the best thing is see if he can continue to progress or if he's flatlined. At worst, we get a few games of Minshew madness to end next season. It's not like say Carr is going to be a huge upgrade, Watson will probably be unable to see the defense through the bars on his cell, Rodgers ain't going nowhere and would you really want to give big assets for Wilson, his height, age and diminished mobility?

Meanwhile, there's always the possibility that Hurts improves his mechanics and after playing as a pocket QB for a second year, starts to figure it out.

19 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Stafford with an nfl level read of the Defense and throw….sigh

13 year vet. 

8 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

I usually don’t like talking about punters - a good punter allows me to do that.

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Some QBs can be taught, some can't, few have the innate ability to see the field, that's taught over seasons of film watching and experience. Some never learn.

Since there are no good options to Hurts (other than mortgage the future on a ???), the best thing is see if he can continue to progress or if he's flatlined. At worst, we get a few games of Minshew madness to end next season. It's not like say Carr is going to be a huge upgrade, Watson will probably be unable to see the defense through the bars on his cell, Rodgers ain't going nowhere and would you really want to give big assets for Wilson, his height, age and diminished mobility?

Meanwhile, there's always the possibility that Hurts improves his mechanics and after playing as a pocket QB for a second year, starts to figure it out.

Take it back to the regular season blog, no one cares.

Get your spin ready for a QB trade

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

13 year vet. 

At the same age Hurts will be a 13 year vet as an analyst for the SEC network

So far this Wild Card round has been a complete dud.  The Dallas-49ers game became good at the end, but for the most part SF dominated.  I think it will be more like this going forward because there are 7 seeds per conference and the teams that barely make it rarely will be able to compete with the upper seeds.   Unfortunately, Goodell and the owners are all about money now vs. quality.

Just now, metal said:

Bucs/Rams will be a good one. It will be fun to see Tom Brady against this defense.

The next round will be good, but the wild card round is almost a waste.  The way that Dallas lost was entertainment, but not much else.   On the surface, it would seem like the Bucs should handle the Rams easily. But, Jensen and Wirfs are dealing with injuries and if they aren't effective, then the Rams' DL could be the difference. Our DL was getting in there after Wirfs and Jensen left. And if our DL can get in there, Donald and Von Miller can get in there.

Crazy to think that even though they're getting clapped right now, the Cardinals would absolutely crush the Eagles. The discrepancy in talent between the good and bad teams this year is wild.

Archived