EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

5 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

the next R diddy. stats guy. knows nothing about football.

I don’t t know if anyone can match Didinger in sheer vapid self congratulating analysis.  

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird Championship Game weekend.  

2 #4 seeds, a #2 seed and a #6 seed.   Hasn't been a Championship Game weekend in a while without at least 1 #1 seed.... 2010 as far as I can tell.

It's been since 2008 season since there has been a Championship Game weekend with such low seeded teams matching up.  2 seed (STEELERS) vs. 6 seed (RAVENS) in AFC, and 4 seed (CARDINALS) vs. 6 seed (EAGLES) in NFC.

4 hours ago, Freshmilk said:

Read with the intention to understand.   This blog wants defense in the draft, some going so far as to suggest the Eagles will draft a LB in the 1st Round.  But we also want a QB that can read a defense, throw on time, throw receivers open...

Blog wants a finished QB coming out of college.  Everyone here would be trying to run Josh Allen out of town after 2 seasons. 

9 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

image.jpeg.121100b4ad0039940630aa3f7c30c757.jpeg

That's it. I'm taking your circle jerk membership away.

You now have to be a Hurts guy. 

FO (17th) rank Hurts in the middle of the pack as a passer, and yes, they take game conditions into consideration.

PFF has him ranked 11th overall, but running is a part of that

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-quarterback-rankings

QBR has him 19th overall, 23rd as a passer.

I think a lot of people here focus on the top 8-10, and judge Hurts' first year as a starter by those standards.

But most of the top QBs have a lot of years of experience, Brady, Rodgers, Prescott, Stafford, Cousins, Carr, Garoppollo, even Wentz.

The only QBs with less than 5 years starting experience in the top ranks are Herbert, Mahomes, Allen, Murray, and Burrow. Good luck drafting one of these.

QBs drafted last ten years (bold clearly better than Hurts):

Lawrence (1), Wilson (2), Lance (3), Fields (11), Jones (15)

Burrow (1), Tua (5), Herbert (6) Love (26)

Murray (1), Jones (6), Haskins (15)

Mayfield (1), Darnold (3), Allen (7), Rosen (10), Jackson (32)

Trubisky (2), Mahomes (10), Watson (12)

Goff (1), Wentz (2), Lynch (26)

Winston (1), Mariota (2)

Bortles (3), Manziel (22), Bridgewater (32)

Manuel (16)

Luck (1), RGIII (2), Tannehill (8), Weeden (22)

You basically have to pick in the top ten, 22 QBs in 10 years, 6 were top ten caliber (Tannehill was a flop in Miami, didn't put it together until he was 31).

Note 3 of 12 in the top 2 picks, beware one year wonders, Goff, Wentz, RGIII, Mayfield who make you think you solved the problem.

Never take a QB in the 20s, at that point it's as good of a bet to take a 2nd to 4th rd "flyer."

I'm not sure there's a QB in this draft worthy of a top ten pick, I'm also sure at least one team, if not more, will reach for one.

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

FO (17th) rank Hurts in the middle of the pack as a passer, and yes, they take game conditions into consideration.

PFF has him ranked 11th overall, but running is a part of that

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-quarterback-rankings

QBR has him 19th overall, 23rd as a passer.

I think a lot of people here focus on the top 8-10, and judge Hurts' first year as a starter by those standards.

But most of the top QBs have a lot of years of experience, Brady, Rodgers, Prescott, Stafford, Cousins, Carr, Garoppollo, even Wentz.

The only QBs with less than 5 years starting experience in the top ranks are Herbert, Mahomes, Allen, Murray, and Burrow. Good luck drafting one of these.

QBs drafted last ten years (bold clearly better than Hurts):

Lawrence (1), Wilson (2), Lance (3), Fields (11), Jones (15)

Burrow (1), Tua (5), Herbert (6) Love (26)

Murray (1), Jones (6), Haskins (15)

Mayfield (1), Darnold (3), Allen (7), Rosen (10), Jackson (32)

Trubisky (2), Mahomes (10), Watson (12)

Goff (1), Wentz (2), Lynch (26)

Winston (1), Mariota (2)

Bortles (3), Manziel (22), Bridgewater (32)

Manuel (16)

Luck (1), RGIII (2), Tannehill (8), Weeden (22)

You basically have to pick in the top ten, 22 QBs in 10 years, 6 were top ten caliber (Tannehill was a flop in Miami, didn't put it together until he was 31).

Note 3 of 12 in the top 2 picks, beware one year wonders, Goff, Wentz, RGIII, Mayfield who make you think you solved the problem.

Never take a QB in the 20s, at that point it's as good of a bet to take a 2nd to 4th rd "flyer."

I'm not sure there's a QB in this draft worthy of a top ten pick, I'm also sure at least one team, if not more, will reach for one.

Interesting info.  Thanks for posting. 

11 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Blog wants a finished QB coming out of college.  Everyone here would be trying to run Josh Allen out of town after 2 seasons. 

False.  Everyone here can see what requisite skills are required to be a successful NFL QB.  Intangibles will only get you so far.  Need to be able to make NFL throws, Hurts can not.

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 10.29.22 AM.png

4 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Eagles Reddit is uh, well…..yeah.

2963EE63-34C6-4136-B993-101137C4D491.jpeg

I mean Reddit is filled with teenage kids.  He probably made the trade work on Madden.  

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 10.29.22 AM.png

A guy that was projected to go first overall but dropped.  

8 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Ancient history.

🤦‍♂️   Keep making ridiculous pronouncements.  

I didn't bring up Dan Marino, which would also be a nail in the coffin of your ridiculous pronouncement, instead I used a guy that was in the post that you were just talking about 'good luck getting one of those guys'.   

There's a really simple way to draft a QB... you assess each and every one.  You scout them, you study them and you decide if that player is the one to 'beat the odds'.  Every QB taken has long odds to becoming what every NFL franchise wants them to be.  But, you don't let the odds deter you.  This is not like buying a lottery ticket where you literally are just playing the straight percentage game.  It is very different and you make your assessment, you talk to the player, his coaches, his opponents, every one you can and you leave no stone unturned.  That's what a professional football organization does.  You are trying to treat the entire process as some sort of actuarial table.  It's not.  

4 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

You can add this guy

5e21eb7816e7f70008116261_GettyImages-802

Yes, but that guy actually would be ancient history.  Not that that would dismiss the counter to the claim of 'never draft a QB in the 20s', but nonetheless... he stands as another example of a counter example to that dogmatic pronouncement.

5 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

🤦‍♂️   Keep making ridiculous pronouncements.  

That is his MO.  States his opinion as fact, and any fact that contradicts his opinion is not eligible to be considered.

I'm sure many analysts in the coming months will be comparing the 2022 QB draft class to the 1983 QB draft class.  This draft is looking more like 2007 for QBs.  

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Weird Championship Game weekend.  

2 #4 seeds, a #2 seed and a #6 seed.   Hasn't been a Championship Game weekend in a while without at least 1 #1 seed.... 2010 as far as I can tell.

It's been since 2008 season since there has been a Championship Game weekend with such low seeded teams matching up.  2 seed (STEELERS) vs. 6 seed (RAVENS) in AFC, and 4 seed (CARDINALS) vs. 6 seed (EAGLES) in NFC.

That’s the new irrelevance of the regular season.  Allow 4 teams to earn byes and you’ll see more of a cluster of 1’s and 2’s.  This year was extra anomalous because Rodgers choked in the NFC and the Titans were frauds in the AFC.

42 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Never build around a qb that can’t pass.  

11 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

That’s the new irrelevance of the regular season.  Allow 4 teams to earn byes and you’ll see more of a cluster of 1’s and 2’s.  This year was extra anomalous because Rodgers choked in the NFC and the Titans were frauds in the AFC.

Well, we all knew that was coming, the Packers never should have drafted him in the first place.

Guest justrelax
9 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Never build around a qb that can’t pass.  

While I agree with this, we are just building. Not around him, just building.

Archived