EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, justrelax said:

While I agree with this, we are just building. Not around him, just building.

I would add... never draft a QB who can't pass.

But I agree, I think this offseason will be (or at least should be) about building the other 52 spots.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completion Percentage - 26th

Passing Yards - 21st

Passing Yards Per Attempt - 15th

Passing TDs - 24th

----

Rushing Yards - 22nd

Rushing Yards Per Attempt - 4th

Rushing TDs - 8th

Hurts is a hell of a lot closer to being a good running back than he is being a good QB.

4 minutes ago, justrelax said:

While I agree with this, we are just building. Not around him, just building.

That’s a fair point.  While I have a lower opinion of Hurts than most, I don’t think anyone wants to reach or overinvest in a QB that isn’t good enough, just because they represent a shiny new option.  If that means another year or 2 of Hurts, as long as we get the right guy, that’s fine.

I just struggle with the interim hype and mandatory rhetoric that Hurts could be the guy, along with the moneyball notion of succeeding with a bad qb because you save on the draft/cap investment.  I get that it’s all talk to fill the void until we get our qb, but it’s still nails on a chalkboard.

15 hours ago, justrelax said:

Still on Gannon. Name two Eagles who could have started on the Bucs’ defense. I’ll help. Slay.

Who else?

Interesting question. It's such a different scheme. I'll argue that Slay, Maddox, Hargrave & Sweat would all play over 50% of their snaps.

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

That’s a fair point.  While I have a lower opinion of Hurts than most, I don’t think anyone wants to reach or overinvest in a QB that isn’t good enough, just because they represent a shiny new option.  If that means another year or 2 of Hurts, as long as we get the right guy, that’s fine.

I just struggle with the interim hype and mandatory rhetoric that Hurts could be the guy, along with the moneyball notion of succeeding with a bad qb because you save on the draft/cap investment.  I get that it’s all talk to fill the void until we get our qb, but it’s still nails on a chalkboard.

But but but... 

Josh Allen.  

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 10.29.22 AM.png

Couldn't beat out the starter for the job for 4 seasons. 

17 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Can't figure out why anyone would respond to him.  We know what he is.  Why prolong the agony for the rest of us?

Honestly, I'm beginning to think that people that respond to known trolls on a regular basis are in need of attention themselves. 

Just now, greend said:

Honestly, I'm beginning to think that people that respond to know trolls on a regular basis are in need of attention themselves. 

Could be.  

In defense of Gannon...

How many defenses in the NFL are doing anything "innovative" right now?  That's the buzz word, right?  The #1 defense in the entire NFL was more helpless with their season on the line than our defense was in their worst moment against the same team.  

The current state of play is a mismatch against defenses.  They are all just the drunk guy at the bar trying to hold on to the mechanical bull the longest.

Of course we didn't see anything great from Gannon.  But I'm not sure what we are supposed to see from a guy running a defense that is less talented than most in a league where even the most talented defenses can't stop a great offense when they really need to.

24 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Never build around a qb that can’t pass.  

They're not building around Hurts by not drafting a QB.  Building around Hurts would mean trading assets two acquire players suited to his play or investing significant salary cap space in him. 

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

In defense of Gannon...

How many defenses in the NFL are doing anything "innovative" right now?  That's the buzz word, right?  The #1 defense in the entire NFL was more helpless with their season on the line than our defense was in their worst moment against the same team.  

The current state of play is a mismatch against defenses.  They are all just the drunk guy at the bar trying to hold on to the mechanical bull the longest.

Of course we didn't see anything great from Gannon.  But I'm not sure what we are supposed to see from a guy running a defense that is less talented than most in a league where even the most talented defenses can't stop a great offense when they really need to.

Bills would have benefitted from having their top CB in that game.

1 minute ago, NCiggles said:

They're not building around Hurts by not drafting a QB.  Building around Hurts would mean trading assets two acquire players suited to his play or investing significant salary cap space in him. 

Let's hope they don't.  Time will tell.

When you add QB mobility on top of elite passing ability, what are you even suppose to do at that point?

It's going to be long decade for AFC defenses with Allen, Mahomes, and Herbert.

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

In defense of Gannon...

Look at what DeMeco Ryans did in SF.  Look at the Rams game against Tampa in terms of blitzing.   Gannon didn't have this team prepared against Tampa.  

Look at this BS:

Evans is lined up in the slot, why not have Slay travel with him.  It's not like they had another great receiver on the field with size.

Again Evans on Maddox:

Then he goes really next level thinking and lets McLeod cover Evans:

22 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

In defense of Gannon...

There's no real innovation this year on offense or defense, but lots of teams do interesting/different things on defense (Patriots, Saints). It's ok to try.

22 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Let's hope they don't.  Time will tell.

21 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

When you add QB mobility on top of elite passing ability, what are you even suppose to do at that point?

It's going to be long decade for AFC defenses with Allen, Mahomes, and Herbert.

Mobility is a strength when combined with a QB that can see the field and make throws.  It takes away sacks which are what hurt Burrow's efficiency.  

7 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

Idk if there’s a Burrow will be the new best NFL QB camp but if there is I’m onboard.

He’s already top 5 or 6 this season, and he took an NFL-high 51 sacks.  If they can build an OL to protect him he’ll get even better.

Anyone lose their taste/smell with covid? Any tips to get it back? Going to Vegas on Wednesday and it sucks (and no I don’t currently have Covid)

4 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

Anyone lose their taste/smell with covid? Any tips to get it back? Going to Vegas on Wednesday and it sucks (and no I don’t currently have Covid)

There is a group on Facebook for people who have lost taste/smell.  

10 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

He’s already top 5 or 6 this season, and he took an NFL-high 51 sacks.  If they can build an OL to protect him he’ll get even better.

It was just last season when it was split on this board, do they take Sewell or Slater to protect Burrow, or draft Chase, his buddy and probably best WR in the class. 

Day 6 of the Big O Covid for me.  Feel fine except for pressure in my chest occasionally burning sensation.  Have plenty of energy, no cough or anything.  So ready for this to be over. 

For those that say that this is just a cold, they have no f'n idea what they are talking about.  Thursday night was the first time in my life I felt like I might not make it.  I was breathing deeply but felt like I wasn't getting any O2.  Like breathing through a straw under water.  Scary as hell

1 minute ago, Cliftoma said:

Day 6 of the Big O Covid for me.  Feel fine except for pressure in my chest occasionally burning sensation.  Have plenty of energy, no cough or anything.  So ready for this to be over. 

For those that say that this is just a cold, they have no f'n idea what they are talking about.  Thursday night was the first time in my life like I might not make it.  I was breathing deeply but felt like I wasn't getting any O2.  Like breathing through a straw under water.  Scary as hell

I had it 2 December’s ago , pre vaccines , lasted 3 weeks , couldn’t walk 5 feet without being winded 

1 hour ago, greend said:

Honestly, I'm beginning to think that people that respond to known trolls on a regular basis are in need of attention themselves. 

But I am just here for yours

7 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

For those that say that this is just a cold, they have no f'n idea what they are talking about.  Thursday night was the first time in my life like I might not make it.  I was breathing deeply but felt like I wasn't getting any O2.  Like breathing through a straw under water.  Scary as hell

Hope you recover quickly.  

Archived