EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think that was part of it, Eagles were late to the party. But there was also stuff out there about him not being interested in the Eagles.

I was under the impression of the following timeline:

1- Daboll interviews with Jets and Chargers.

2 - Eagles later fire Doug.

3 - Chargers and Jets hire someone else.

4 - Bills decline permission for interview until after their playoffs are over.

5 - Eagles don't wait and hire Siri.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Where again did i say dont draft defense or try to fix/add to the defense?

i don’t need to just draft defensive heavy just cause it’s a need right now. The defense isn’t being rebuilt in one year or one draft. It’s going to take more than that and i going to have future holes on offense that can also be addressed now so if the value is right. I’m not limiting myself to just defense cause it needs fixing right now and just saying well we did 2022 draft as defense it’s a good core now. just cause we draft heavy on defense does not mean all is fixed and we instantly have a good core. 

also who cares what we think on the board. If the eagles identify one of them as that then they should go after one. That’s always been my point. 

It's not just a need now.  It's a need for the very near and long term future.  It's going to take more than one draft but a defense heavy draft where you have 3 first round picks is a great opportunity to potentially put yourself in a really good spot going forward.  It is a unique opportunity that the Eagles can really seize.  I'd be all for using 2 of the 1sts on best defensive players available and then trade one of those 3 to the rebuilding Minnesota Vikings for Danielle Hunter.  You get an elite 27 year old pass rusher that will both help the Eagles this year and in the years to come.  

Eagles job was a tough sell last year with the QB uncertainty. Daboll can say he loves Daniel Jones enough for Mara to believe it, but he can easily get rid of Jones after one year if he sucks.

3 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Eagles job was a tough sell last year with the QB uncertainty. Daboll can say he loves Daniel Jones enough for Mara to believe it, but he can easily get rid of Jones after one year if he sucks.

Not being stuck with Gettleman and going with someone he knows and presumably friendly with is also probably the biggest factor not mentioned. 

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

If the giants actually fix their oline to be decent he likely sees improvement. The biggest issue imo on the giants is the crap oline. 

With two top picks they can fix quickly. 

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I wonder if he's bored with the sport

How many years will it take for another QB to break all of his records?

Honestly even with the extra game, I don’t know if anyone will have the longevity needed to pass Brady or Brees. 

2 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The guy that helped Allen turn his potential to production... yeah, him landing in NY is a concern.

Not yet. Couple years though? Yes. 

2 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Adams, Jeudy, and Sutton with Rodgers at QB would be insane 

And Gordon/J Williams/ Fant ain’t shabby either. 

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

You have to try and have faith in the picks.  The alternative you're pitching of not trying is not a good idea.  It's a defense heavy draft.  If ever there was a year for a team so absent of young talent on defense that had 3 first round draft picks then it would be this year.

You people are so desperate for a new QB, any QB, because of your Hurts hate you're trying to act like they are going to love a QB in this draft.  It's not a good QB draft.  

I disagree to a point. No, it does not have the Murray/Burrow/Lawrence headliner this year. But I like a few of the QB’s and would be willing to give them a chance over Hurts. He loves competition right? Bring in a Strong, Ridder, etc. and let them compete in camp. I just can’t see Hurts beating out any of these guys with his arm. 

Hard to know how much of Josh Allen’s development can be attributed to Daboll vs how much of it is Ken Dorsey.  The OC will help develop game plans, formations and scheme to get players open, while the QB coach is likely more hands-on with the player and helping with reads, recognition, and mechanics.

They’re undoubtedly both beneficial to Allen’s growth.  How much Allen is a Daboll product will be determined if they’re split up.

7 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Hard to know how much of Josh Allen’s development can be attributed to Daboll vs how much of it is Ken Dorsey.  The OC will help develop game plans, formations and scheme to get players open, while the QB coach is likely more hands-on with the player and helping with reads, recognition, and mechanics.

They’re undoubtedly both beneficial to Allen’s growth.  How much Allen is a Daboll product will be determined if they’re split up.

And Jordan Palmer who he spends time with in the off-season. 

12 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

We really should be thanking our lucky stars we got embiid. Cause if he didn’t have the injury during the draft process we’d likely have Wiggins. Wiggins is good now cause of good organization with good coaching. Imagine if he was the best player we had come from that whole process. 

Wiggins was going #1 no matter what.  We likely would have ended up with Exum or Parker if he went #2.

42 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Makes even less sense that the Eagles QB coach is getting interviews for OC lol

14 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Wiggins was going #1 no matter what.  We likely would have ended up with Exum or Parker if he went #2.

I forget which podcast it was I wanna say Kevin O’Connor but i know one of the sixers podcaster/reporter who wrote a book on the process talk about it. Both mentioned before breaking his foot in a workout with Cleveland during the workout cleveland was super impressed. There was indication that Cleveland was going to go with embiid before he broke his foot in that workout. That’s how good he was in that workout before he broke his foot. I wish I could tell you the podcast cause I was listening to it. I know I mentioned it on the Sixers thread the night I heard. it was an absolutely insane the story they told about it. 

8 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Interesting:

10. I keep hearing people tell me how Jalen Hurts inflated his stats against bad teams and struggled against good teams. So instead of taking their word for it, I thought I’d check the numbers. And here’s what I found: In eight games vs. losing teams, Hurts had an 88.3 passer rating, and in seven games vs. winning teams he had an 86.2 passer rating. His completion percentage was a lot higher vs. losing teams (64.3 percent to 58.3 percent), but his TD-to-INT ratio was better against winning teams (8-3 vs. 8-6). He averaged 5.1 yards per rush vs. winning teams with 6 TDs and 6.3 vs. winning teams with 4 TDs. So much for that theory.

Sure in a vacuum...when you can suck for 2.5 quarters and then feast on prevent defenses when you're down big it'll inflate stats.

2 hours ago, metal said:

Can't say how accurate this is but if true that's pretty absurd. Even with the increasing salary cap that's a whole lot of money for a single WR.

Hopkins gets 27M and this is a comparison of their 2021 season

Receiving
Rk Player Year G Rec Yds TD Y/R Lng
1 Davante Adams 2021 16 123 1553 11 12.6 59
2 DeAndre Hopkins 2021 10 42 572 8 13.6 5

53 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

With two top picks they can fix quickly. 

Honestly even with the extra game, I don’t know if anyone will have the longevity needed to pass Brady or Brees. 

Not yet. Couple years though? Yes. 

And Gordon/J Williams/ Fant ain’t shabby either. 

I disagree to a point. No, it does not have the Murray/Burrow/Lawrence headliner this year. But I like a few of the QB’s and would be willing to give them a chance over Hurts. He loves competition right? Bring in a Strong, Ridder, etc. and let them compete in camp. I just can’t see Hurts beating out any of these guys with his arm. 

If you're spending a first on a guy then it's not for him to compete.  You only spend a first on a guy if you think he is going to be that franchise guy.  I don't see that in this draft.  Those firsts are better spent on improving the defense.  

7 hours ago, Casey @ Bat said:

Best athlete in major sports I’ve seen in last 40 years. 

Neon and George St Pierre are probably the closest competition.  Rare air Bo was in.

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

If you're spending a first on a guy then it's not for him to compete.  You only spend a first on a guy if you think he is going to be that franchise guy.  I don't see that in this draft.  Those firsts are better spent on improving the defense.  

Franchise guy doesn’t necessarily mean starting week 1. 

Just now, Outlaw said:

Franchise guy doesn’t necessarily mean starting week 1. 

You're so eager to reach for a QB just to have a new QB and it won't work out like that.  Every draft goes by and all this blog wants to do is draft more and more offense.  

3 hours ago, justrelax said:

Still on Gannon. Name two Eagles who could have started on the Bucs’ defense. I’ll help. Slay.

Who else?

I'd take Hargrave over Suh...that's about it.   Maybe Maddox.

6 hours ago, MillerTime said:

So @LeanMeanGM are we doing a super bowl matchup prediction?

If so I got 49ers vs. Bengals part 3

I’ll do a Super Bowl score/bonus prediction if the people want it.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I’ll do a Super Bowl score/bonus prediction if the people want it.

If it’s rams chiefs gonna be like 48-40 lol 

1 hour ago, Wentz_Era said:

Neon and George St Pierre are probably the closest competition.  Rare air Bo was in.

Deion Sanders is close I’d agree, just not the same strength/power. Not a fan of LeBron James but another genetic freak of an athlete I’d put in that category.

1 hour ago, Wentz_Era said:

Dave Winfield was drafted by MLB, the NBA, and the NFL.  He never played college football so the Vikings drafting him was on a flier — but it should also be noted he was drafted by the Padres as a pitcher originally.  He was a remarkable multi-talented athlete 

2 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

You're so eager to reach for a QB just to have a new QB and it won't work out like that.  Every draft goes by and all this blog wants to do is draft more and more offense.  

Don’t know unless you try. However I do know that Hurts is not the future of the team. And no, my preference would be a QB in R2. DE, CB, LB/S/G R1  

7 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Don’t know unless you try. However I do know that Hurts is not the future of the team. And no, my preference would be a QB in R2. DE, CB, LB/S/G R1  

All the chatter will be amusing when the Eagles bring these QB prospects in for official visits 

Archived