****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

11 hours ago, TEW said:

UCL is expanding to 36 teams and more games. Literally the winner of the ESL vs UCL would only play 4 extra matches.

The problem with UCL paying everyone is that the UCL wants to pay themselves. They keep hundreds of millions for their own bureaucracy. That would change with ESL.

I agree, the Leagues, associations, etc. all across Europe are fairly corrupt, some more than others.  Without a near total overhaul and total transparency things won't really change.

Maybe I misunderstood what the ESL was supposed to be.  To me it sounded like it would be a whole separate League totally operating on its own outside UEFA.  Playing matches vs each other in a regular season just like the other leagues (Premier, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, etc.) with one club winning the League championship.  So if outside of UEFA's control then they wouldn't be playing in their domestic FAs' leagues, cups or in the CL.  They'd just be playing each other in this Super League since the domestic leagues, cups and CL most likely wouldn't let them compete going by the reactions given once the ESL became public knowledge.  So they had 12 clubs and hoping to get to what, 16?  They'd have to play each other 4x/season to equate the matches they get from domestic league + domestic cups + CL.

From the way you describe the ESL it sounds more like it was just supposed to be these clubs bypassing the CL and doing their own big ass round robin tourney leading into a knockout with a champion while they would still play in the domestic leagues and cups. 

And I agree the US closed system is better with the NFL as a good example.  It doesn't have the global draw that soccer and especially the CL does, but it is the biggest revenue generating league in the World and its revenue per event is bigger than any of the European Football leagues. 

Should any types of change come from this then it would be at a slow pace at best.  Some are calling for the EPL to adopt the Bundesliga 50 + 1 model as a start or alternative to an ESL.  I think many, fans/pundits/players, feel that some sort of change is needed so this can't be allowed to just blow over and return to the status quo.

7 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

I agree, the Leagues, associations, etc. all across Europe are fairly corrupt, some more than others.  Without a near total overhaul and total transparency things won't really change.

Maybe I misunderstood what the ESL was supposed to be.  To me it sounded like it would be a whole separate League totally operating on its own outside UEFA.  Playing matches vs each other in a regular season just like the other leagues (Premier, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, etc.) with one club winning the League championship.  So if outside of UEFA's control then they wouldn't be playing in their domestic FAs' leagues, cups or in the CL.  They'd just be playing each other in this Super League since the domestic leagues, cups and CL most likely wouldn't let them compete going by the reactions given once the ESL became public knowledge.  So they had 12 clubs and hoping to get to what, 16?  They'd have to play each other 4x/season to equate the matches they get from domestic league + domestic cups + CL.

From the way you describe the ESL it sounds more like it was just supposed to be these clubs bypassing the CL and doing their own big ass round robin tourney leading into a knockout with a champion while they would still play in the domestic leagues and cups. 

And I agree the US closed system is better with the NFL as a good example.  It doesn't have the global draw that soccer and especially the CL does, but it is the biggest revenue generating league in the World and its revenue per event is bigger than any of the European Football leagues. 

Should any types of change come from this then it would be at a slow pace at best.  Some are calling for the EPL to adopt the Bundesliga 50 + 1 model as a start or alternative to an ESL.  I think many, fans/pundits/players, feel that some sort of change is needed so this can't be allowed to just blow over and return to the status quo.

Yes.

The ESL was designed to replace the champions league, but it would run parallel to the domestic league and domestic cups. The domestic leagues banning the members would be their own myopic choice. I’ll give it to UEFA, they did a great job of spreading misinformation and fear. The pundits on TV were clueless as well and just ran with populist reactionary anger.

For me, the only controversial part was having permanent membership for the founding clubs. Other than that it was superior in every way to UCL, including for smaller clubs who would benefit financially from the higher transfer fees cascading down the power spectrum. And it wasn’t even a closed system — there were spots open for non founding members. It’s just that the founders were to have permanent membership.

8 hours ago, TEW said:

For me, the only controversial part was having permanent membership for the founding clubs.

Which was the key point that made it possible in the first place for the clubs to sign up

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

Which was the key point that made it possible in the first place for the clubs to sign up

Yes and no. The money was better. That’s the reason they wanted in. Permanent membership was one of three major factors of the teams getting more money along with more games and cutting out the UEFA bureaucratic pilfering. I’d also add stricter FFP enforcement, but that was probably a secondary issue.

Overall, I think this is a loss for everyone except corrupt EUFA officials.

1 hour ago, TEW said:

Yes and no. The money was better. That’s the reason they wanted in. Permanent membership was one of three major factors of the teams getting more money along with more games and cutting out the UEFA bureaucratic pilfering. I’d also add stricter FFP enforcement, but that was probably a secondary issue.

Overall, I think this is a loss for everyone except corrupt EUFA officials.

99% of the players didn't want permanent membership. That is garbage and shows don't have to fight for anything, just given to you. 

18 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

99% of the players didn't want permanent membership. That is garbage and shows don't have to fight for anything, just given to you. 

Yeah, I’m sure they like the tradition. But honestly it would have been better for the players. More money, more game time for young players, etc.

I think Roma upset United last night by taking the lead! United fought back and then some in the second half. 

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think Roma upset United last night by taking the lead! United fought back and then some in the second half. 

Love to be down at half and once they tied it up, it was over. 

Really hope they can convince Cavani to stay another year, he has be absolutely outstanding for them. 

Still need another CB, RW, midfield help, and does anyone want DE Gea. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TEW said:

Shameful display. 

Nope. F the Glazers and using Man Utd as a piggy bank. 

You just want the Glazers to stay to get your failed league. 

23 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Nope. F the Glazers and using Man Utd as a piggy bank. 

You just want the Glazers to stay to get your failed league. 

It’s a business that they own. It is their piggy bank to use as they see fit.

2 hours ago, TEW said:

It’s a business that they own. It is their piggy bank to use as they see fit.

Yep, and the market says "F you"

Yep, and the market says "F you"

Pretty sure the market is going to keep them making millions per year.

43 minutes ago, TEW said:

Pretty sure the market is going to keep them making millions per year.

Sure but not with the SL idea. Not now anyway. 

Sure but not with the SL idea. Not now anyway. 

It’ll happen and people will throw a temper tantrum before loving it.

1 minute ago, TEW said:

I fully expect one day it will happen yeah. I don't think there's much denying it at this point. 

7 hours ago, TEW said:

Likely at some point but very clearly not now 

Man City reaches Champs League final for first time.  Will play Real Madrid or Chelsea