****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

1 hour ago, UK Eagle said:

This is about greedy owners unable to understand that the on-pitch success of their team dictates their revenue streams each year, who are annoyed that they can't presume to bank on the same money each year to take cash out of the business, etc. They then drastically overspend, chasing success and are unwilling to say no to ever increasing salaries - we'll just take more debt or sell TV rights for more money.  A franchise system by the back door is not what many clubs and fans want, a meritocracy is ingrained into our sport and what makes it compelling.

Calling people like me "Legacy fans" because I happen to go to games and contribute to what makes the sport special, shows what a bunch of tosspots those owners are.  They are killing the golden goose, along with UEFA and FIFA. I don't care about world leagues or event World Cups in placed like Qatar, and many fans don't. 

It’s also about greedy bureaucrats in EUFA and FIFA trying to siphon millions into their own pockets. Let’s not get it twisted — there are billions of dollars at stake and everyone is trying to get as much of it as possible. At least in the case of the clubs they’re the ones who are drawing the eyes to TV sets.

And again, i’d reiterate that it is Perez who is leading this movement. He has no ownership in Madrid and no financial incentive to organize this. Real Madrid is a socio owned club. As is Barca. They rightly see this as a situation where money isn’t going to the institution that they run. The bureaucracy at EUFA and FIFA are as much to blame as anyone.

Perez claiming this move is necessary to save football. What a load of bollocks. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Perez claiming this move is necessary to save football. What a load of bollocks. 

There's so much wrong with soccer in my opinion that a massive shake up is needed. I'm not saying the European Super League is the answer because I don't think it is but soccer needs a reboot.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

There's so much wrong with soccer in my opinion that a massive shake up is needed. I'm not saying the European Super League is the answer because I don't think it is but soccer needs a reboot.

What is wrong with it?

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

What is wrong with it?

It is stuck in the dark ages. The game is dominated by the rich clubs and rarely do the smaller clubs get a chance other than in one off games. The Champions League is dominated by the same few teams every single year and those are the ones funded by multi billionaires in some form. The traditions of the sport don't allow for the sport to step in to the 21st century and to be honest the sport is as dull as dishwater most of the time.

14 hours ago, TEW said:

It’s also about greedy bureaucrats in EUFA and FIFA trying to siphon millions into their own pockets. Let’s not get it twisted — there are billions of dollars at stake and everyone is trying to get as much of it as possible. At least in the case of the clubs they’re the ones who are drawing the eyes to TV sets.

And again, i’d reiterate that it is Perez who is leading this movement. He has no ownership in Madrid and no financial incentive to organize this. Real Madrid is a socio owned club. As is Barca. They rightly see this as a situation where money isn’t going to the institution that they run. The bureaucracy at EUFA and FIFA are as much to blame as anyone.

I have little to no respect for UEFA or FIFA. Both are rotten and greedy organisations who contribute little of worth to the grass roots game other than pointless competitions, gibberish corporate speak and silly rule changes.  They just want to rinse fans and corporations for money in a veil of we are one.  Between Platini and Blatter, both cast a long and corrupt shadow across football that both organisations are doing their best to hide, years later.  I despair at how a game for the masses, made by the masses has become so dirty and rotten.  They presume that the goose will keep laying golden eggs.  We are still in the grips of a pandemic...

Perez is someone I have little respect for - successful, but has a certain stink about him.  If Perez is complaining about debt, he needs to look at his dealings and how the Madrid municipality did some sweet heart deals for Real in the past to help them out of a debt hole. No one forced him to spend on Eden Hazard etc, so for me, any tears about "no munney" are entirely self inflicted. 

All the ESL will do is expand the debt, make wages even more unrealistic for the majority and force another silly deal in a few years time to bail them out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK Eagle said:

I have little to no respect for UEFA or FIFA. Both are rotten and greedy organisations who contribute little of worth to the grass roots game other than pointless competitions, gibberish corporate speak and silly rule changes.  They just want to rinse fans and corporations for money in a veil of we are one.  Between Platini and Blatter, both cast a long and corrupt shadow across football that both organisations are doing their best to hide, years later.  I despair at how a game for the masses, made by the masses has become so dirty and rotten.  They presume that the goose will keep laying golden eggs.  We are still in the grips of a pandemic...

Perez is someone I have little respect for - successful, but has a certain stink about him.  If Perez is complaining about debt, he needs to look at his dealings and how the Madrid municipality did some sweet heart deals for Real in the past to help them out of a debt hole. No one forced him to spend on Eden Hazard etc, so for me, any tears about "no munney" are entirely self inflicted. 

All the ESL will do is expand the debt, make wages even more unrealistic for the majority and force another silly deal in a few years time to bail them out. 

Strongly disagree with this. Perez had an interview yesterday and touched on this. One of the problems with UEFA is the lack of transparency and regulatory clout. FFP is a joke and there is zero accountability for breaking rules.

Part of the ESL is going to involve trying to fix this. They’re basically taking the US sports model and modifying it. I don’t think they’ll ever have a hard salary cap or anything like it, but they’re moving more towards that direction precisely because the clubs all agreed on the instability of the financial situation.

I think you’ll see FFP type rules with actual teeth, more financial transparency, and stricter rules to be a part of the ESL.

6 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Eh, hyperbole of course, but he has a point. The financial trajectory of both big and small clubs is untenable. 

6 minutes ago, TEW said:

Eh, hyperbole of course, but he has a point. The financial trajectory of both big and small clubs is untenable. 

It's not his job to "fix" soccer. All he did was say F every other club, but the 12 in this new ESL. 

Everton who has way more history and titles than Tottenham, but why were they were excluded?

MONEY MONEY MONEY 

14 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

It's not his job to "fix" soccer. All he did was say F every other club, but the 12 in this new ESL. 

Everton who has way more history and titles than Tottenham, but why were they were excluded?

MONEY MONEY MONEY 

Perez is the fiduciary for Madrid. It’s his job to do what’s best for Madrid. Objectively, this is what’s best for Madrid and the other big clubs.

I hope, and believe they will, expand the ESL. Could easily see an expansion to 32 teams and the majority of spots being open to promotion.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It is stuck in the dark ages. The game is dominated by the rich clubs and rarely do the smaller clubs get a chance other than in one off games. The Champions League is dominated by the same few teams every single year and those are the ones funded by multi billionaires in some form. The traditions of the sport don't allow for the sport to step in to the 21st century and to be honest the sport is as dull as dishwater most of the time.

The Super League is more of this. 

25 minutes ago, TEW said:

Meh. The market will fix that. 

The problem with the new Champs League is the expanded round robin.  You think these huge club teams want to play more games on random fields in Eastern Europe with a few thousand fans sitting in metal bleachers?  

This is the whole reason for the Super League imho.  Big clubs square off against each other every week.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

The problem with the new Champs League is the expanded round robin.  You think these huge club teams want to play more games on random fields in Eastern Europe with a few thousand fans sitting in metal bleachers?  

This is the whole reason for the Super League imho.  Big clubs square off against each other every week.  

I don't need to see big clubs every week.

Juventus just lost to Porto in CL. Upsets are now gone with this new league. 

1 minute ago, DaEagles4Life said:

I don't need to see big clubs every week. 

We all know the same teams are going to get through, so I really don’t see the point.  

It is like saying only the same 12 teams plus 4 others get to go to the NCAA tourney.

• Like 1

It is all going to fall apart just as it should.  I'm back as a Chelsea supporter after one day of absence :P

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Meh. The market will fix that. 

Wasn’t this an attempt by the market to fix that?

• Like 1

Just now, TEW said:

Wasn’t this an attempt by the market to fix that?

Yeah I knew you'd reply that way.  Yes and one that roundly got rejected by the market.

It was an attempt to pick and choose the biggest earnings clubs and form own CL. Had nothing to do with fixing anything. Tottenham is the clear example, very average history and not a lot of titles, but a shiny new stadium.