****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

Domestic leagues should just kick them out. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

Domestic leagues should just kick them out. 

Honestly, for what?

The champions league was started by the clubs in the first place. They’re not quitting on the domestic competitions. I like tradition as much as anyone, and Madrid was built on the champions league, but kicking them out of the league seems a bit excessive. Also cutting your nose to spite your face.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TEW said:

Honestly, for what?

The champions league was started by the clubs in the first place. They’re not quitting on the domestic competitions. I like tradition as much as anyone, and Madrid was built on the champions league, but kicking them out of the league seems a bit excessive. Also cutting your nose to spite your face.

In 20 years time what's to say this European Super League isn't hugely popular and everyone embraces it as tradition? At some point new things come along that changes the landscape and then these become part of the norm. 

5 minutes ago, TEW said:

Honestly, for what?

Because of the the extent of number of games plus the lockdown to a few teams. 

Just now, DrPhilly said:

Because of the the extent of number of games plus the lockdown to a few teams. 

Doesn't it open up an opportunity for more teams to participate in the Champions league though?

This might just be a ploy for the SL teams to get what they want from UEFA.  Like when Robert Kraft threatened to move the Patriots to Hartford, Connecticut.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

This might just be a ploy for the SL teams to get what they want from UEFA.  Like when Robert Kraft threatened to move the Patriots to Hartford, Connecticut.

Absolutely! And lets be honest I very much doubt this goes ahead. I doubt it will get the approvals to go ahead.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

I thought this as well.  This could be their big threat to force UEFA to cave to their demands regarding CL.

I have to wonder just how 'super' a Super League would look after 5-10 years.  I think it would eventually mimic the EPL and La Liga where you'd have the same 6-8 clubs at the top of the table while the rest end up being mediocre fish in the big pond.  Unless they're going to do like the NFL and have a totally level playing field then it will be more of the same with the richer clubs of the lot being able to out-spend the others for the top players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Green_Guinness said:

I thought this as well.  This could be their big threat to force UEFA to cave to their demands regarding CL.

I have to wonder just how 'super' a Super League would look after 5-10 years.  I think it would eventually mimic the EPL and La Liga where you'd have the same 6-8 clubs at the top of the table while the rest end up being mediocre fish in the big pond.  Unless they're going to do like the NFL and have a totally level playing field then it will be more of the same with the richer clubs of the lot being able to out-spend the others for the top players. 

Absolutely without doubt! Although that said money doesn't guarantee you success in soccer. I mean look at United, they've thrown money at the team to try and get back amongst the best in the Premier League and Europe and really aren't getting much closer. But yeah I mean I am not sure how it would work etc. There's something special about Champions League football and all that comes with it. The group stages, the knockout stages etc I mean that would presumably all be lost in this league table format?

20 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Absolutely without doubt! Although that said money doesn't guarantee you success in soccer. I mean look at United, they've thrown money at the team to try and get back amongst the best in the Premier League and Europe and really aren't getting much closer. But yeah I mean I am not sure how it would work etc. There's something special about Champions League football and all that comes with it. The group stages, the knockout stages etc I mean that would presumably all be lost in this league table format?

What has Tottenham done to deserve to be in this? Always been a middle of the road club and Arsenal just tied with Burnley yesterday. This is a money grab from US Owners that don't give a F about soccer. 

• Like 1

Just now, DaEagles4Life said:

What has Tottenham done to deserve to be in this? Always been a middle of the road club and Arsenal just tied with Burnley yesterday. This is a money grab from US Owners that don't give a F about soccer. 

I agree! They have financial clout which means they can be a part of the new European Super League.

4 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Hmmm, wonder how many of these clubs have US owners?  I know Liverpool (FSG, Fenway Sports Group that owns the Red Sox), Man United (Glazers) and I think Arsenal as well.  Do Spuds have US owners?  I thought they were owned by a Brit.  Chelsea is Roman the Russian and City is owned by Saudis.  Barca and Real are still Spanish owned?  And I know there are Serie A clubs that are US owned, just don't know which ones. 

2 hours ago, Dave Moss said:

Pretty much this. It’s leverage and a backup plan. The thing is, EUFA didn’t take it seriously until they got underwriting and commitments from their biggest drawing clubs.

6 minutes ago, TEW said:

Pretty much this. It’s leverage and a backup plan. The thing is, EUFA didn’t take it seriously until they got underwriting and commitments from their biggest drawing clubs.

Cant have an elite league if don't have elite players. Will just turn into MLS 2.0 as well. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Doesn't it open up an opportunity for more teams to participate in the Champions league though?

What, you mean if those teams don't?

1 hour ago, TEW said:

So they're going to all throw their toys out of the pram after which they will have to back room settle something.

45 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

So they're going to all throw their toys out of the pram after which they will have to back room settle something.

Pretty much.

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

That’s pretty dumb. Basically the same teams are already in ECL, and usually at least two big clubs are in each group.

On top of that the ECL itself has plans to expand for exactly the reason to add more of Europe’s elite clubs to the competition.

This is about money for BOTH sides. EUFA wants to pocket more money for themselves and give less to the big clubs that make the competition. The big clubs want more money since they make the competition.

Simple as that. EUFA wouldn’t have a problem if they just expanded the number of teams from representing the big 5 leagues and gave the clubs more money.

Also, side note, but I see a lot of people complaining that this is being done by American owners.

Let’s be clear here: Florentino Perez is as Castilian as they come and he is the ring leader. This is his idea, he’s the one in charge, he put this together, and he wants it to be his legacy.

Real, City, Chelsea to be removed from '21 CL by Friday and PSG declared the winner OR do they move Dortmund, Bayern, and Porto into the semis?

This is about greedy owners unable to understand that the on-pitch success of their team dictates their revenue streams each year, who are annoyed that they can't presume to bank on the same money each year to take cash out of the business, etc. They then drastically overspend, chasing success and are unwilling to say no to ever increasing salaries - we'll just take more debt or sell TV rights for more money.  A franchise system by the back door is not what many clubs and fans want, a meritocracy is ingrained into our sport and what makes it compelling.

Calling people like me "Legacy fans" because I happen to go to games and contribute to what makes the sport special, shows what a bunch of tosspots those owners are.  They are killing the golden goose, along with UEFA and FIFA. I don't care about world leagues or event World Cups in placed like Qatar, and many fans don't. 

• Like 2