****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

What a game that was last night. I still can't quite believe the Swiss knocked out the French. That blows this tournament wide open and I think the winner of today's game between England and Germany will really fancy their chances of winning it. 

5 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Oh sorry.  I wasn't complaining about France getting knocked out.  The pk reference was just an observation.  I just hate pks.  I agree with you that France deserved their fate for letting it get that far.

I hate them as well. What do you do instead. One round of corners, then set pieces and rotates thru spots until a goal? 

7 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Oh sorry.  I wasn't complaining about France getting knocked out.  The pk reference was just an observation.  I just hate pks.  I agree with you that France deserved their fate for letting it get that far.

I hate PKs too. But I have very little sympathy for teams that lose a game like France did yesterday. Plus, I always root against France, so I enjoyed their fate immensely.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

I hate them as well. What do you do instead. One round of corners, then set pieces and rotates thru spots until a goal? 

My thought was pull a player off the pitch every 5 mins until someone scores. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

This + expand the number of substitutions.

Unless they're playing the US, I always root for Germany since I'm of German descent. It's usually an enjoyable experience even though I'm the most casual of fans. In other words, I only ever pay attention during the Euro and World Cup tournaments. Gotta say, this team just doesn't look that good. All tournament long, not to mention the previous World Cup. England was the deserving winner today, no question about it. I'll root for them the rest of the way, though I probably won't care too much who wins the whole thing. Unless it's Italy. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Unless they're playing the US, I always root for Germany since I'm of German descent. It's usually an enjoyable experience even though I'm the most casual of fans. In other words, I only ever pay attention during the Euro and World Cup tournaments. Gotta say, this team just doesn't look that good. All tournament long, not to mention the previous World Cup. England was the deserving winner today, no question about it. I'll root for them the rest of the way, though I probably won't care too much who wins the whole thing. Unless it's Italy. 

Yes. This was not a good Germany team. Old guys and inexperienced guys and the middle of the pitch was conceded. 

2 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

1 v 1 would be hilarious.

L’Equipe reporting Mbappe has officially told PSG he will not renew his contract, but will honor the remaining year left on his deal and become a free agent in 2022.

Is my dream scenario of Mbappe+Halaand coming to fruition?!?! :excited:

This is pretty much the only scenario where Madrid can afford both players. Mbappe winds down his contract and Madrid sign Halaand for the 70M buyout clause, both in 2022.

Manchester United have turned their attention to Raphaël Varane, the Real Madrid centre back, after the signing of Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund.

United agreed a £73 million deal for Sancho — subject to a medical — yesterday and now want to sign a centre back, with Varane the top of their shortlist.

Not the ManU of recent times if this goes thru. Add a DM and might be the perfect offseason 

2 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Manchester United have turned their attention to Raphaël Varane, the Real Madrid centre back, after the signing of Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund.

United agreed a £73 million deal for Sancho — subject to a medical — yesterday and now want to sign a centre back, with Varane the top of their shortlist.

Not the ManU of recent times if this goes thru. Add a DM and might be the perfect offseason 

Looks like it’s going to happen unless someone comes in and hijacks the deal last minute. Bargain of the offseason at 50M if this figure turns out to be true.

Ramos official to PSG as well. Gotta think Madrid sign a CB, though if PSG decide to cash in on Mbappe, we may just sign him now and put off buying a CB.

Have to say I’m not very happy about this. Varane was thought of as a future captain for Madrid. Losing both him and Ramos in the same offseason is really tough. Militao looks good, but I don’t know about pairing him with Alaba. Seems like an odd match.

Not watching. Was it 4 pks made and 6 missed?

53 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Not watching. Was it 4 pks made and 6 missed?

Correct.  Swiss sent 2 low n slow that Spanish goalie swatted away.  Last Swiss guy sent it high over the bar.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 7:32 AM, DaEagles4Life said:

On 6/29/2021 at 1:00 PM, DrPhilly said:

On 6/29/2021 at 3:49 PM, TV Guy said:

1 v 1 would be hilarious.

I've always thought they should do a 11v6 power play for 5 minutes to score as many goals as they can, then switch things up and go for another 5.  I never thought of the corner/set piece angle, would be interesting to see that.

Am I wrong in thinking that Italy are the world's worst team for diving and embellishing injuries? I mean, is that a known thing? Because I swear, it's something I noticed years ago and consistently see from them. Not saying they didn't deserve to win, but those last fifteen minutes (and it sure felt like there should have been at least two more added) was just one Italian falling down after another. 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2021 at 4:00 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'll just leave this here...

It's. Coming. Home. 

Rooting for you! Go England!! :flex:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Am I wrong in thinking that Italy are the world's worst team for diving and embellishing injuries? I mean, is that a known thing? Because I swear, it's something I noticed years ago and consistently see from them. Not saying they didn't deserve to win, but those last fifteen minutes (and it sure felt like there should have been at least two more added) was just one Italian falling down after another. 

Unfortunately, it is part of the game and the ref didn't issue cards to stop it. 

But what a total waste if talent with Belgium. Dudes are soft 

3 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

No, you are correct.  In the 2006 World Cup I named Italy and Portugal the Biggest Bishes in the tourney for the way their players dove and ran like girls to the ref to complain about fouls against them.  I hate both countries in any footy tournament for this.  I always want to see each lose.  More so Italy, though.