****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

11 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

Agree.  Italy made their first sub and really started taking over the match.  Southgate did nothing to counter.  And the selection of pen takers was pathetic.  Right after Pickford made that great save on Jorginho to keep England alive, I knew it was over when I saw it was 19yo Saka stepping up to take such a crucial pen.  Idiotic.

You both have a legitimate point and both can be true.  Sterling is a petulant child on the pitch.  Yes, he is talented, but he could be better if he stopped his antics of whining nearly every time things don't go his way.  There's rumours he's out of favour with Pep at City.

He did get the pen vs the Danes, but Kane should have been awarded one earlier on.  That was a bit of a makeup call.

Southgate manages games like someone who bored Middlesborough fans out of the stadium and relegated them from the Premier League.  Nice chap, well meaning, but more of a bank manager personality than a modern day football manager.  The game over here has changed a lot in the last few years, but it's like watching a time warp when England play. Negative, plodding, slow decision making in game, constant passing side to side with a reliance on special moments from players over a team structure to win games.   

I'm always surprised that fans are surprised at how turgidly England play in big games. Southgate has been lucky that in the past tournaments where England have progressed from an easy group and played average teams to get where they got to.  Kane didn't have a shot yesterday because yet again, he was off in the midfield trying to get the ball.  Saka has never taken a penalty in his pro career, and stick him in the last slot is arrogant or deluded.  Or both.  Southgate won't go anywhere as he is a company man though and through.

Sterling could well be on the outers at City - but it would only be if they buy Grealish for me as the contract is massive.  Torres will be one year in so should show more.  I was glad to see the Referee tell Kane and Sterling to stay on their feet; it got ridiculous towards the end of the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

Southgate manages games like someone who bored Middlesborough fans out of the stadium and relegated them from the Premier League.  Nice chap, well meaning, but more of a bank manager personality than a modern day football manager.  The game over here has changed a lot in the last few years, but it's like watching a time warp when England play. Negative, plodding, slow decision making in game, constant passing side to side with a reliance on special moments from players over a team structure to win games.   

I'm always surprised that fans are surprised at how turgidly England play in big games. Southgate has been lucky that in the past tournaments where England have progressed from an easy group and played average teams to get where they got to.  Kane didn't have a shot yesterday because yet again, he was off in the midfield trying to get the ball.  Saka has never taken a penalty in his pro career, and stick him in the last slot is arrogant or deluded.  Or both.  Southgate won't go anywhere as he is a company man though and through.

Sterling could well be on the outers at City - but it would only be if they buy Grealish for me as the contract is massive.  Torres will be one year in so should show more.  I was glad to see the Referee tell Kane and Sterling to stay on their feet; it got ridiculous towards the end of the game.

He definitely got out coached by Mancini. Not afraid to take off his strikers for fresh legs where Southgate has played Kane and Sterling basically every single minute. It started to show in the 2nd half with tired legs, but don't bother bringing on creative attacking football players in Sancho, Rashford, Bellingham, or move Grealish to a CAM position. 

I have not understood his managerial style at all. 

Sterling can't finish to save his life. 

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see the viewership from last night.

Through the quarterfinals (48 matches), UEFA EURO 2020 tournament soccer on ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 has delivered an average audience of 1,146,000 viewers, a 25% increase compared to the same matches in 2016 on ESPN and ESPN2 (917,000 viewers).

An average audience of 2,018,000 viewers watched the four quarterfinal matches on ABC and ESPN on Friday and Saturday (July 2-3), a 16 percent increase compared to the 1,737,000 average viewers who watched the quarterfinals in 2016.

15 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Eh guaglione? Che ti avevo detto? Ti hanno fatto credere? Guarda a Gigiooooooo! Ma che bello! 

Didnt believe it until I saw the 12 year old England had up to take the last kick.  Unbelievable

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Didnt believe it until I saw the 12 year old England had up to take the last kick.  Unbelievable

I was in disbelief when Jorgi's penalty glanced off of Pickford's glove and bounced off the post then back into his arms. I couldn't believe what I just saw. There was no reality where he doesn't bury that like he almost always does. Pickford was poised to be the hero of a nation until Gigio steps up, wins the game and the tournament with another save, and then walks away from the net like it was just another day at the office. Most badass, cold-blooded sheet I've ever seen in my life. 

• Like 1

Why would anyone that is familiar with English soccer think they had a chance in that game?  They never win anything.

23 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Why would anyone that is familiar with English soccer think they had a chance in that game?  They never win anything.

I think them scoring that early goal was the worst thing that could've happened to them. They turtled up after that and were content to let Italy dictate the tempo from then on. Completely lost any attacking momentum and despite some nice passes by Kane, couldn't get much going otherwise. I think Gigio tapped one over the bar in the second half, and there was that one cross that skipped across the net dangerously.

Maybe it turns out differently if Shaw scores that same goal to break a 0-0 tie in the 60th minute. Italy had never been forced to play from behind all tournament so giving them 70 minutes to regroup and rally is different than only giving them 30 minutes.

• Like 1

On the night the better team won. We got the perfect start and then didn't know what to do with it. We sat back and looked scared when actually I think early on the Italians were there for the taking.

Southgate made some questionable calls in the final but he had credit in the bank for us to just trust what he was doing. 

The one thing I will say... And you can call it clever and you can call it game management if you want... The Italians are sly cheats and it's a shame for the reason they won. 

20 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

He definitely got out coached by Mancini. Not afraid to take off his strikers for fresh legs where Southgate has played Kane and Sterling basically every single minute. It started to show in the 2nd half with tired legs, but don't bother bringing on creative attacking football players in Sancho, Rashford, Bellingham, or move Grealish to a CAM position. 

I have not understood his managerial style at all.

Sterling can't finish to save his life. 

When Jorginho went down injured and Italy had the drinks break, it was the turning point.  Mancini took the chance to change tactics and Italy slowly took the game over.  Southgate just drifted - his first instinct is to be rigid, defend and caution.  The game was crying out for someone different in midfield to sit on Veratti or a different style out wide or up top.  How Engalnd play seems to be the FA way, so he won't go anywhere unless he goes himself.  The U21s actually appointed Aidy Hoofroyd who is pretty much despised across the lower leagues for his lack of style.

To have such a talented team play like that by default is incredibly annoying.  But heaven forbid you criticise Southgate!

1 hour ago, UK Eagle said:

When Jorginho went down injured and Italy had the drinks break, it was the turning point.  Mancini took the chance to change tactics and Italy slowly took the game over.  Southgate just drifted - his first instinct is to be rigid, defend and caution.  The game was crying out for someone different in midfield to sit on Veratti or a different style out wide or up top.  How Engalnd play seems to be the FA way, so he won't go anywhere unless he goes himself.  The U21s actually appointed Aidy Hoofroyd who is pretty much despised across the lower leagues for his lack of style.

To have such a talented team play like that by default is incredibly annoying.  But heaven forbid you criticise Southgate!

Southgate has always been an ultra conservative coach, he should've gone for it when they scored so early and tried to get a second, instead they gradually sat deeper and deeper until the midfield were playing on the defences toes.  His substitutions were awful, Henderson was godawful when he came on for Rice who'd been excellent and he left Mount on way too long he should've been taken off for Sancho or Grealish just before the hour. It was frustrating.

That said, one or both of Chiellini or Jorginho should have been sent off, Chiellini on Saka was absolutely ridiculous and there was no defence of trying to play the ball.

Southgate is being carried by the talent, he's holding them back, but there's no way he'll be sacked before the World Cup.

Chiellini made a smart tactical decision but didn't deserve a straight red. Were two Italian defenders behind him as well to defend so not like Saka had a clear path. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Chiellini made a smart tactical decision but didn't deserve a straight red. Were two Italian defenders behind him as well to defend so not like Saka had a clear path. 

Watching it live, I thought for sure it was a red. On replay though, you could see bonucci and di lorenzo behind them so you can't argue it was a clear goal scoring opportunity. That being said, it was still a dangerous play and can easily cause injury so the rules should be amended to account for it. 

In general I thought it was a poorly officiated game. There was a clear foul on Cristante in the box by Phillips in the second half that goes unnoticed because he played through it and the ref completely missed it. Gotta imagine if Cristante goes to the ground, it's an easy decision via VAR and Jorginho steps up to the spot to try to put italy up 2-1 in regulation.

Turns out this MF'er didn't even know he won the game until he saw his teammates storming toward him. Said in an interview he was too focused on stopping the penalties and wasn't keeping track of the count. :lol::roll:

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

On the night the better team won. We got the perfect start and then didn't know what to do with it. We sat back and looked scared when actually I think early on the Italians were there for the taking.

Southgate made some questionable calls in the final but he had credit in the bank for us to just trust what he was doing. 

The one thing I will say... And you can call it clever and you can call it game management if you want... The Italians are sly cheats and it's a shame for the reason they won. 

When you look back after some time you'll see that this was as good an England side as we've seen since '66.  They just weren't quite good enough.  Italy hasn't lost in like 35 straight games and after all they are also Italy who quite often somehow find a way to win.

Had England gone for the juggler early and gotten up 2-0 it would have been a different result but they weren't quite up to the task.  The trick now is to find another gear up top and get ready for the World Cup.  There is every reason to believe England can contend (seriously).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Yeah, that was a true professional yellow card.

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

When you look back after some time you'll see that this was as good an England side as we've seen since '66.  They just weren't quite good enough.  Italy hasn't lost in like 35 straight games and after all they are also Italy who quite often somehow find a way to win.

Had England gone for the juggler early and gotten up 2-0 it would have been a different result but they weren't quite up to the task.  The trick now is to find another gear up top and get ready for the World Cup.  There is every reason to believe England can contend (seriously).

I think the problem is how overhyped England is by the press in general. This might be a talented team, but they weren’t the most talented team in the tournament and they had a lot of peer competitors.

That all said, sitting back for 89 minutes was incredibly stupid.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TEW said:

I think the problem is how overhyped England is by the press in general. This might be a talented team, but they weren’t the most talented team in the tournament and they had a lot of peer competitors.

That all said, sitting back for 89 minutes was incredibly stupid.

Sure but it was an excellent England side.  Only Italy looked better and perhaps France.  Spain was sheet and so was Germany.  The Dutch were meh.

England is always over hyped but this squad was actually a real threat to take the title and they should be in the running again next year.

• Like 1

The perfect time for US Men's Soccer to be actually good. 

According to ESPN, the network averaged 6,488,000 viewers for the Euro 2020 Final. It was nearly two million more viewers than ESPN’s previous high for a Euro Final, which came in 2012, Spain vs Italy. Another 2.9 million tuned in Sunday on Univision, combining for a total average audience of 9.4 million people in the United States who watched the Euro 2020 Final 

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/more-americans-watched-the-euro-2020-soccer-final-on-tv-than-the-nba-finals/

On 7/13/2021 at 7:10 PM, DrPhilly said:

When you look back after some time you'll see that this was as good an England side as we've seen since '66. 

Oh without doubt. It may not be the most talented but its the best TEAM we have had. And there's reason to me hopeful for the next 3 years. World Cup next year and Euros in 3 years time. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

The perfect time for US Men's Soccer to be actually good. 

According to ESPN, the network averaged 6,488,000 viewers for the Euro 2020 Final. It was nearly two million more viewers than ESPN’s previous high for a Euro Final, which came in 2012, Spain vs Italy. Another 2.9 million tuned in Sunday on Univision, combining for a total average audience of 9.4 million people in the United States who watched the Euro 2020 Final 

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/more-americans-watched-the-euro-2020-soccer-final-on-tv-than-the-nba-finals/

Higher ratings than the nba finals, and yet I'm sure people will continue to say "NoBoDy eVeN cArEs AbOuT SocCer hERe."

is the u.s. men's olympic team any good yet?  seems like the bro-ad's team wins gold pretty often but the men's team stinks. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

is the u.s. men's olympic team any good yet?  seems like the bro-ad's team wins gold pretty often but the men's team stinks. 

USA men's didn't qualify but it's a bit misleading because FIFA doesn't allow most pro players to play in the Olympics for men's (except for 3 "vets" or mentors to lead the rest of the U23 players), while they do for women's. So basically, the women's Olympic team is the exact same as you'd see at the world cup while the men's team is almost entirely different due to the age restriction. It's dumb.

• Like 2