****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

1 hour ago, Green_Guinness said:

No, you are correct.  In the 2006 World Cup I named Italy and Portugal the Biggest Bishes in the tourney for the way their players dove and ran like girls to the ref to complain about fouls against them.  I hate both countries in any footy tournament for this.  I always want to see each lose.  More so Italy, though. 

Argentina is pretty bad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TEW said:

Argentina is pretty bad.

South America as a whole has become pretty bad in the last decade.  Italy are still the masters.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Am I wrong in thinking that Italy are the world's worst team for diving and embellishing injuries? I mean, is that a known thing? Because I swear, it's something I noticed years ago and consistently see from them. Not saying they didn't deserve to win, but those last fifteen minutes (and it sure felt like there should have been at least two more added) was just one Italian falling down after another. 

Pretty much yeah. Argentina is a worthy competitor as well. 

4 hours ago, TEW said:

Argentina is pretty bad.

Yep, posted my answer before I saw this. I agree, it has always been those two for me. 

• Like 1

So Belgium falls short yet again.  They are like the Eagles (pre '17) or the Vikings.

Like them or not Italy looks to be a team that will be very hard to beat.  Spain has done well to get this far and doesn't look like a champion and both Denmark and England can make a case for themselves but you'd have to like Italy's chances against either of those two as well.

Might say Italy was diving, but Spinazzola torn his Achilles and the the striker had a gash under his eye from the collision at the midline . Only one diving was the GK in my opinion in last 15 or so

15 hours ago, LacesOut said:

Rooting for you! Go England!! :flex:

Cheers bud. 

Tonight is a big one. England should win but England love to disappoint.

Denmark England will be an excellent test for both squads. 

La Liga is wide open this upcoming season. 

Spain getting a lot more chances early on.

7 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

La Liga is wide open this upcoming season. 

We’ll see. I think it’s still a 3 team race, but the gap may be smaller between them and the rest of the pack. The thing is that big 3 was probably the strongest big 3 in the sports history as far as domestic leagues go, so even a big drop off still leaves them as dangerous opponents.

Real is a real wild card if we lose Varane. Alaba for Ramos was a downgrade, but it made us younger and more versatile. Losing Varane and adding no new player with the expectation of Militao stepping into the void is a serious risk, though he has looked good as of late. Kind of a take the pain now to improve over the long term type move. I like the kid but losing both Ramos and Varane is a LOT to overcome.

They have to be the most underrated center back pairing I’ve ever witnessed. Like, most people agree Ramos is great, most think Varane is good, but I don’t think most understand just how insanely good they were together because you have to watch Real to see how isolated they were as defenders. No other team I’ve ever witnessed would dare leave their center backs on such an island. Sometimes we would just roll with Varane basically as a back 1. I’m anxious to see if that changes this year with a much weaker back line.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Spain getting a lot more chances early on.

And zero strikers to finish. 

This might be the issue with Men's US team of they can't find one or one steps up. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaEagles4Life said:

And zero strikers to finish. 

This might be the issue with Men's US team of they can't find one or one steps up. 

Yup.

We have to find a finisher. We have the wingers and creativity to create scoring chances but I don’t see a killer in the box.

Italy just scored on a counter attack.

Spain has Morata and he is on the bench, says everything about him. 

And he just subbed on

1 minute ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Spain has Morata and he is on the bench, says everything about him. 

He just got subbed in

3 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

He just got subbed in

Always been a better super sub than lead man. Was instrumental in Madrid’s double under Zidane but was definitely a role player.

54 minutes ago, TEW said:

We’ll see. I think it’s still a 3 team race, but the gap may be smaller between them and the rest of the pack. The thing is that big 3 was probably the strongest big 3 in the sports history as far as domestic leagues go, so even a big drop off still leaves them as dangerous opponents.

Real is a real wild card if we lose Varane. Alaba for Ramos was a downgrade, but it made us younger and more versatile. Losing Varane and adding no new player with the expectation of Militao stepping into the void is a serious risk, though he has looked good as of late. Kind of a take the pain now to improve over the long term type move. I like the kid but losing both Ramos and Varane is a LOT to overcome.

They have to be the most underrated center back pairing I’ve ever witnessed. Like, most people agree Ramos is great, most think Varane is good, but I don’t think most understand just how insanely good they were together because you have to watch Real to see how isolated they were as defenders. No other team I’ve ever witnessed would dare leave their center backs on such an island. Sometimes we would just roll with Varane basically as a back 1. I’m anxious to see if that changes this year with a much weaker back line.

Yes agreed. At least it feels wide open and certainly is the widest in decades even if the big two plus Athleti still sit on top. 

30 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Morata scored.  1-1

like I said, he's a decisive super sub.