****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

My English buddy is starting to wilt a bit

12 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

My English buddy is starting to wilt a bit

You got any drugs you can give him if this thing goes to pens, which it looks like it's likely to do?

Just now, Green_Guinness said:

You got any drugs you can give him if this thing goes to pens, which it looks like it's likely to do?

He has those 

• Like 1

Saka was a poor sub this match.  He didn't bring anything worthwhile on the pitch.

And he we go.  Ishy pens.

2 out of 5? :rolleyes:  From the 2nd minute on, England played like they didn’t even belong there.

England fully deserved to lose.

First, for playing on the back foot the 2nd half and inviting Italy's pressure.

Second, for the awful pens they took.  So the 2 guys you sub in late just to take pens, who neither saw much of the pitch during most of the tourney so they're basically cold coming off the bench, and they both get cute taking their pens and one misses while the other is saved and not even a great save like Pickford was doing.  Then you send a 19yo on to take the Death or survive pen?  Southgate should be sacked just for his pen strategy.  Just dreadful.

Again, Saka turned out to be a poor sub this match, in more ways than one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

2 out of 5? :rolleyes:  From the 2nd minute on, England played like they didn’t even belong there.

It wasn’t quite that bad. England owned most of the 1st half but yeah the 2nd half was all Italy. 

Well, at least France didn't win the tournament. Other than that, I don't have much to be happy about since I hate France and Italy almost as much. I feel bad for England, but they were definitely outplayed.

It's interesting to me that in all three of their penalty shootout victories, the Italians were behind after an early miss yet managed to come back. 

1 hour ago, The_Omega said:

They didn’t. :whistle:

Just now, TEW said:

They didn’t. :whistle:

Southgate just sat back, didn't change formation, didn't bring on attackers, started Mount as your RW with Saka and Sancho on the bench, or adapt at all. 

Don't think he should last the night 

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

It wasn’t quite that bad. England owned most of the 1st half but yeah the 2nd half was all Italy. 

If I was England’s coach (they’d have won today, of course), I’d tell Sterling to decide if he wants to be an actor, or a footballer.  D00de gives up on almost every run to dive and try to draw a penalty. I know that’s common to the game today, but he’s really annoying at it, and he could be so much better if he’d just keep playing rather than falling down constantly.

4 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

If I was England’s coach (they’d have won today, of course), I’d tell Sterling to decide if he wants to be an actor, or a footballer.  D00de gives up on almost every run to dive and try to draw a penalty. I know that’s common to the game today, but he’s really annoying at it, and he could be so much better if he’d just keep playing rather than falling down constantly.

I mean his dive vs Denmark got them here 

36 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Southgate just sat back, didn't change formation, didn't bring on attackers, started Mount as your RW with Saka and Sancho on the bench, or adapt at all. 

Don't think he should last the night 

Agree.  Italy made their first sub and really started taking over the match.  Southgate did nothing to counter.  And the selection of pen takers was pathetic.  Right after Pickford made that great save on Jorginho to keep England alive, I knew it was over when I saw it was 19yo Saka stepping up to take such a crucial pen.  Idiotic. 

16 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

12 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

You both have a legitimate point and both can be true.  Sterling is a petulant child on the pitch.  Yes, he is talented, but he could be better if he stopped his antics of whining nearly every time things don't go his way.  There's rumours he's out of favour with Pep at City.

He did get the pen vs the Danes, but Kane should have been awarded one earlier on.  That was a bit of a makeup call.

8 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Agree.  Italy made their first sub and really started taking over the match.  Southgate did nothing to counter.  And the selection of pen takers was pathetic.  Right after Pickford made that great save on Jorginho to keep England alive, I knew it was over when I saw it was 19yo Saka stepping up to take such a crucial pen.  Idiotic. 

You both have a legitimate point and both can be true.  Sterling is a petulant child on the pitch.  Yes, he is talented, but he could be better if he stopped his antics of whining nearly every time things don't go his way.  There's rumours he's out of favour with Pep at City.

He did get the pen vs the Danes, but Kane should have been awarded one earlier on.  That was a bit of a makeup call.

That, and there’s a big difference between diving in the box, and diving near midfield. He doesn’t care, he dives everywhere on the field, almost every time someone else is on him.

3 hours ago, Mike31mt said:

If Chiesa doesnt get hurt this match is over

Eh guaglione? Che ti avevo detto? Ti hanno fatto credere? Guarda a Gigiooooooo! Ma che bello! 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

He does dive too much for my taste. Always has. 

Varane apparently willing to re-sign with Madrid for $12M per year (after tax). He may come back to Madrid yet...