****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

Spain never looked comfortable in PKs

Morato a hero back to death threats 

• Like 1

Poor Morata. The expectations on him were always unreasonable. He’s a good player but nothing more. 

52 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Poor Morata. The expectations on him were always unreasonable. He’s a good player but nothing more. 

Eh, I think he's an under achiever. The guy has a ton of talent. Not too many guys in the world with his size, skill and athleticism. He should be a world class striker. But he just isn't.

6 hours ago, TEW said:

Eh, I think he's an under achiever. The guy has a ton of talent. Not too many guys in the world with his size, skill and athleticism. He should be a world class striker. But he just isn't.

I never saw that at Chelsea. He never looked like anything other than a decent player. Perhaps he just wasn’t tough enough for the Prem. 

Pickford woof

Seems like after they scored Kane turned it on and started to play almost a CAM role 

Some sloppy moments but it was an excellent first half all in all. Anybody’s game. 

Two great semis

I don't watch enough soccer to know for sure, but that certainly looked like a dubious penalty kick call.

6 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I don't watch enough soccer to know for sure, but that certainly looked like a dubious penalty kick call.

I was working so missed the match.  Viewing the highlights on ESPN and I'm stop/start the video to slow it down to try and see if it was indeed a pen and I don't think it is.  The view I'm looking at is slightly behind and to the right of Sterling as he is moving towards goal.  You can see #5 from Denmark first try to nick the ball off him then #24 comes in.  It doesn't seem like he ever really makes hard contact with Sterling or catches him on the boot/ankle/shin.  Now, #5 does take another swipe at the ball while it's a bit in front of Sterling, but to me it looks like Sterling is already starting to leave his feet and fall forward.  IMO, Sterling embellished.  Maybe another camera view and it might look different or show direct contact, but going off this one that's what it looks like to me.

I do hope England beat Italy.  And I really hope it doesn't go to pens to decide it.

• Like 1

Certainly a very "cheap" penalty.  On the other hand, it looked pretty clear that England should have been awarded a penalty when Kane was taken down a bit earlier in regulation.  Sort of even things out.

Three lions on the shirt.

Its coming home. Its coming home. Its coming. Footballs coming home. 

• Like 2

Should be an excellent game and both sides have more or less an equal chance to come out with the title.  I'm watching with my English buddy who's now 50 and waited for this moment his entire life.

Will be a huge stepping stone into WC next year. 

I wish Southgate would take advantage of his subs. Only using one last game was unacceptable. World class talent on the bench with fresh legs, use them. 

I wouldn't trust Pickford in a penalty shootout either so I think England needs to win this before PKs. 

2 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Should be an excellent game and both sides have more or less an equal chance to come out with the title.  I'm watching with my English buddy who's now 50 and waited for this moment his entire life.

One of the Italy defenders said it was the old guys vs the kids, referring to the ages of their defenders vs the attackers of England.  The Three Lions need to use their speed down the flanks to try and pull Italy's D out of shape and attack.  Southgate has been mostly cautious and England have been good defensively, but they shouldn't get into a sit back and take turns with possession type of game with Italy as that will concede the majority of possession to Italy.  This Italy squad is a bit different as they attack more than previous ones.  Italy's MO was usually excellent defensive shape and hit you on counters.  So England need to be wary of Italy's attack while attacking their older less mobile D.  The strategy from each side will be interesting as will any adjustments made during the match. 

3 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Will be a huge stepping stone into WC next year. 

I wish Southgate would take advantage of his subs. Only using one last game was unacceptable. World class talent on the bench with fresh legs, use them

I wouldn't trust Pickford in a penalty shootout either so I think England needs to win this before PKs. 

This.  Forgot to mention this.  If they can keep it close going into the final 30 minutes and then hit Italy's elder defenders with fresh legs speedy subs that gives them an advantage.

Italy isn't quite as strong in the air as they usually are either and England has plenty of options in the air game.  I think England could very well find some success with set piece crosses.  Going to be interesting to see who wins the midfield possession battle.  I think it is a tossup.

Great start for England with the early opening goal.  And now Jorginho is dealing with a cramp or knock. 

England needs to stop trying to dribble out of the back.  They've been nicked a few times doing that, but it has yet to bite them in the arse.  They keep doing it and it will eventually.  When Italy get possession they are putting some pressure on the England D.  England need to attack wide.  That's where Italy is having issues with them.

• Like 1

Could see the build up to that goal coming.  England was too content to sit back and try to defend and invited pressure.  Now they have to get back on the front foot.

Italy looks to be making their 5th substitution while England have only had 2 thus far with plenty of quick young legs on the bench.

Possession:  Italy 67% - England 33%

Shots (on target):  Italy 14 (5) - England 4 (2)

I got it.

First 15 minutes of ET go 9 v 9.

Second 15 minutes go 7 v 7.

F pens.