****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

23 minutes ago, TEW said:

Interesting.

My memory of him was as a huge PIA because of his pressing/motor. Defense and athleticism was basically his calling card.

Going forward he was dangerous because it usually came off of turnovers and turned into counter attacks, which accentuated his speed, but I didn’t think of him at all as an attacking player in the traditional sense. He lacked technical ability, passing, shooting, creativity, etc.

If he somehow flipped his weakness to a strength, then yeah, he’s a beast.

He was a midfielder in La Liga. If his passing and dribbling improved, he’s a definite option at LM and maybe even as a B2B CM.

He looked technical and creative enough out of the back with the 1st pass yesterday.  Not so much once the ball moved further down the pitch although he did have a couple of decent crosses.  I think the 2nd touch pass down into the box will be the question at this point.  Also, as I mentioned, the natural spot for him right now at Chelsea is at left wingback.  I suppose we might try him in the middle at some point.

What do you know about Koulibaly?  I don't watch the Italian league much so haven't seen a lot of him.  He looked great yesterday and I'm thinking he can absolutely replace Rudiger.  As for Rudiger, I think you'll love him, especially his attitude.

1 hour ago, TEW said:

Going forward he was dangerous because it usually came off of turnovers and turned into counter attacks, which accentuated his speed, but I didn’t think of him at all as an attacking player in the traditional sense. He lacked technical ability, passing, shooting, creativity, etc

I'll be 100 with you... I've not watched a lot. I saw him play 90 mins against United when Brighton won 4-0 and he was just sensational. And then I've seen bits of him here and there. He looked very good technically to me and as soon as I saw him I thought he was an ideal City player. 

2 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

He looked good after coming on yesterday.  All the new faces at Chelsea looked good, especially Koulibaly.  I'm more concerned with an aging midfield and still not having a clear goal scorer.

Koulibaly looked really really good. Very composed and rock solid. Midfield is OK but lacks that creativity I think and yeah goals are going to be an issue for this Chelsea team right now. 

20 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Koulibaly looked really really good. Very composed and rock solid. Midfield is OK but lacks that creativity I think and yeah goals are going to be an issue for this Chelsea team right now. 

Two years ago Jorginho and Kante were Balloon D'or finalists.  Now they look like guys well past there prime.  Still decent but not world class.  They've both lost a step and Jorginho was slow to begin with while Kante relied on his quickness.

Kovacic is still solid and will help.  I'm wondering if we will see Billy Gilmour or if he is pushed out on loan again or simply xfered.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Two years ago Jorginho and Kante were Balloon D'or finalists.  Now they look like guys well past there prime.  Still decent but not world class.  They've both lost a step and Jorginho was slow to begin with while Kante relied on his quickness.

Kovacic is still solid and will help.  I'm wondering if we will see Billy Gilmour or if he is pushed out on loan again or simply xfered.

I think they need to add in that area for sure. I guess that's why they are looking at De Jong. Seems like a good fit for them really. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think they need to add in that area for sure. I guess that's why they are looking at De Jong. Seems like a good fit for them really. 

Can’t see De Jong ending up with Chelsea but I’d welcome him 100%

City and Haaland looking as fantastic as advertised and doing it away against what will likely be a very good top six West Ham side.

8 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

He looked technical and creative enough out of the back with the 1st pass yesterday.  Not so much once the ball moved further down the pitch although he did have a couple of decent crosses.  I think the 2nd touch pass down into the box will be the question at this point.  Also, as I mentioned, the natural spot for him right now at Chelsea is at left wingback.  I suppose we might try him in the middle at some point.

What do you know about Koulibaly?  I don't watch the Italian league much so haven't seen a lot of him.  He looked great yesterday and I'm thinking he can absolutely replace Rudiger.  As for Rudiger, I think you'll love him, especially his attitude.

He’s a beast. Pretty much the only downside is his age. Definitely can replace Rudiger. 

And yes, he’s quickly becoming a fan favorite. Apparently his idol was Pepe which bought him infinity street cred points at the Barnebau.

2 minutes ago, TEW said:

He’s a beast. Pretty much the only downside is his age. Definitely can replace Rudiger. 

And yes, he’s quickly becoming a fan favorite. Apparently his idol was Pepe which bought him infinity street cred points at the Barnebau.

I was never a Pepe fan.  I guess he's the guy you want on your team and otherwise can't stand him.  Rudiger will get into a ton of tussles.

Just now, DrPhilly said:

I was never a Pepe fan.  I guess he's the guy you want on your team and otherwise can't stand him.  Rudiger will get into a ton of tussles.

Pepe had the reputation of a dirty player from his early years, but he was actually a really skilled defender. I forget the exact number, but Pepe had shockingly few red cards at Madrid. You would thing he racked them up, but for the most part he was just really good at challenging his mark as they received the ball.

Just now, TEW said:

Pepe had the reputation of a dirty player from his early years, but he was actually a really skilled defender. I forget the exact number, but Pepe had shockingly few red cards at Madrid. You would thing he racked them up, but for the most part he was just really good at challenging his mark as they received the ball.

He was dirty enough to catch my attention.  That may have been early on in his career but that stuck with him for me anyway.

Rudiger will get very chippy with the other team when emotions start to run.  No doubt he'll get some cards for that type of crap.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

City and Haaland looking as fantastic as advertised and doing it away against what will likely be a very good top six West Ham side.

Haaland at that size should not be that fast. 

2 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Haaland at that size should not be that fast. 

If he can stay healthy, the kid is going to be an absolute monster for a long, long time. His top speed is right there with Mbappe, his acceleration is absurd. And supposedly he has a Ronaldo like work ethic.

Hope he decides to join Madrid at some point. It seemed like he wanted Madrid but with Benzema here it just wasn’t happening.

On 8/7/2022 at 12:46 PM, DrPhilly said:

Can’t see De Jong ending up with Chelsea but I’d welcome him 100%

I think he's going to stay at Barca. I think that's what he wants. But if he is to leave then he's probably most likely to end up at Chelsea. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

So is Man U really that bad?

No idea what to believe but crap that was ugly 

20 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Haaland > this bum 

I’m really starting to get Neymar vibes from him. Supremely talented player who might not have "it” to become as good as he should be.

5 hours ago, TEW said:

I’m really starting to get Neymar vibes from him. Supremely talented player who might not have "it” to become as good as he should be.

I mean we have evidence from last year 

10 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

I mean we have evidence from last year 

That’s more of a Messi vibe.

It does seem like this is legitimate. Honestly, I hate it and love it at the same time.

Casemiro is a legend. Best DM of his generation. He’s the heart and soul of Madrid and in the threepeat years was (along with Varane) what allowed Madrid’s team to dominate the way they did with Marcelo and Carvajal bombing forward. He was also instrumental in last years UCL run where Madrid went with a full counter attacking strategy:

That all said, he’s probably the last of his kind in the modern game: a traditional midfield destroyer. This works really well when you have a prime Modric and Kroos to dominate on the ball. But with Kroos in decline and Modric so old, Casemiro’s deficiency on the ball becomes more apparent. I don’t think you’ll see his style in future legendary sides. Even DMs need to be able to contribute on the offensive end these days. His long passes are mediocre and his first touch is lack luster. He is good at long shots and as a target on set pieces.

Getting €70M for him at his age when Madrid already has Tchouameni and Camavinga (and Blanco in the pipeline) makes sense from a management perspective. We basically swap out a 30 year old destroyer for a 22 year old complete DM and €30M.

Madrid has a lot of really good young midfielders on the roster between Cama, Tchoua and Valverde who need game time. And what’s allowed Madrid to stay so competitive even as the EPL and oil clubs can outspend them is being ruthless in the transfer market and letting their aging stars move on. Ronaldo, Bale, Isco, Ramos, Varane, Marcelo, and now perhaps Casemiro. The only players left from that legendary threepeat team will be Benz, Modric, Kroos and Carvajal. The former three will likely all be gone in the next 2 years, while Carvajal is going to be dependent on health.

So overall, I see this as a necessary move from Madrid for the long term, even if it weakens us in the short term. But we now improve our finances even further and help develop our young players. Casemiro’s wages get taken off the books and our net transfer spend is now near zero again. Sure seems like Madrid is stacking cash for a galactico.

The biggest question I have is if we make a purchase? I could see Madrid go for a RW. That would allow Valverde to move to his more natural CM position, possibly taking Toni Kroos’ starting position. Some people have talked about Bernardo Silva who can play in the center and on the wing. Not sure about that one.

For United, a 4-2-3-1 would seem logical. Case and whoever as the dual anchors and Bruno as the #10. It would definitely bolster their defense and allow Bruno to be more influential on the offensive end.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TEW said:

That all said, he’s probably the last of his kind in the modern game: a traditional midfield destroyer. This works really well when you have a prime Modric and Kroos to dominate on the ball.

Agreed. He's a destroyer. He's going to get about the field and he's going to protect his defense but he's not going to have the ball players around him at united. I mean he's going to be passing to Fred who can't pass, McTominay who doesn't want to receive a pass and Bruno who wants to give the ball away with the Hollywood pass. I like Casemiro a lot, I agree with everything you've said but I think he's going to be a disaster at United. 

I can understand why Real are willing to sell. They are getting a huge fee for a player who is now 30 and they have the young midfielders to give more chances to. Really for them it is a no brainer.

United are in disarray and I don't see it getting any better for them any time soon. They need the Glazers to sell and then a whole lot of investment. That may happen but I very much doubt it. And also be careful what you wish for... The only people who could afford to buy United and invest the money needed are the Saudis.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. He's a destroyer. He's going to get about the field and he's going to protect his defense but he's not going to have the ball players around him at united. I mean he's going to be passing to Fred who can't pass, McTominay who doesn't want to receive a pass and Bruno who wants to give the ball away with the Hollywood pass. I like Casemiro a lot, I agree with everything you've said but I think he's going to be a disaster at United. 

I can understand why Real are willing to sell. They are getting a huge fee for a player who is now 30 and they have the young midfielders to give more chances to. Really for them it is a no brainer.

United are in disarray and I don't see it getting any better for them any time soon. They need the Glazers to sell and then a whole lot of investment. That may happen but I very much doubt it. And also be careful what you wish for... The only people who could afford to buy United and invest the money needed are the Saudis.

Saudis will spend. Their blood ain't on my hands 

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think a triangle of Case, Eriksen and Bruno could be good. Possibly really good. I think people don’t quite understand just how good Casemiro really is. This is a guy who put a prime Messi in his pocket on several occasions. He’s also a master of the dark arts of hard tackles without getting red cards.

I’ve read some EPL analysts say some really silly things, like he isn’t fast or can’t press. Nothing could be further from the truth. Casemiro is extremely athletic. Fast, strong, he’s got all the tools. Pressing was basically what he did for Zidane. There were times he was the most advanced midfielder and we ran a high press with Ramos and Varane on a back island. He actually gives you a surprising amount of tactical versatility despite his personal limitations on the ball.

Another one I’ve heard is that he isn’t a match winner. Again, I’d really disagree with this. Maybe he doesn’t score, but playing alongside the likes of Benzema, Ronaldo, Modric, Kroos, Marcelo and Ramos he was often the best player on the pitch and clearly definitive to the outcome of the match.

For United though, his biggest asset might be leadership. He’s the kind of guy who will not allow his teammates to slack.Winning breeds winning, and Casemiro is a winner.