****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

On 7/4/2022 at 8:28 AM, UK Eagle said:

England's problem is the manager. He plays a style of football that went out of date 10 years ago; boring, defensive and incapable of changing.  Lots of pointless passing sideways and backwards.  I see better football and tactical management in League One.

The US team should fancy winning the group, esp if Southgate is having a bad day.  If Kane is playing in central Midfield again, good times for the opposition.  The Taffs will run around a lot, but they aren't that special.

You literally just described Gregg Berhalter to a T, and the US is less talented than England

With a decent coach the US would never lose in CONCACAF with their A squad (look what our U20 just did).   But he insists on slow buildup when we could just run down the field and kick it into the net against half these teams.

I would not be surprised at all if the US goes 0-2-1.  Not the least bit.

The fact that we play Wales first is huge, I think if either team gets 3 points in that match theyre through.

We have no striker.   Thats a problem when you have a coach who keeps getting fired for lack of offense.  But thats the USSF for you

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Really wanted him in Madrid so we could finally have an American player.

I guess he has a better chance at winning a starting job at Chelsea, but it’s going to be the same loan army strategy at any big club.

ManU got a left footed CB and looks like he can play a good long ball. Still need a DM and a Forward but good signings for ManU so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Barca is an absolute mess 

He’s basically the one guy they have with a market value and high salary that they can move.

Their finances are atrocious and this is one of the few moves they can make to help stop the bleeding.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 1:54 AM, TEW said:

Really wanted him in Madrid so we could finally have an American player.

I guess he has a better chance at winning a starting job at Chelsea, but it’s going to be the same loan army strategy at any big club.

He has no chance at this stage, absolutely none.

8 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

ManU got a left footed CB and looks like he can play a good long ball. Still need a DM and a Forward but good signings for ManU so far. 

He can apparently play DM and the way he passes the ball I think that should be where he plays. Martinez De Jong and Fred could be a very good midfield. 

8 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

He has no chance at this stage, absolutely none.

Yeah, obviously he’s going to be on loan for multiple years.

Not just because of Mendy, but as a player everyone says he is really raw but has tremendous upside.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TEW said:

Yeah, obviously he’s going to be on loan for multiple years.

Not just because of Mendy, but as a player everyone says he is really raw but has tremendous upside.

Plus we still have Kepa, at least for now

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He can apparently play DM and the way he passes the ball I think that should be where he plays. Martinez De Jong and Fred could be a very good midfield. 

I don’t know… I almost think passing is becoming more important for a CB than DM.

The DM can always play a simple pass to a CM or a back pass to a defender and possession can be retained.

But with the prevalence of then high press in today’s game, a CB who can play a good long ball under pressure can cause havoc.

1 minute ago, DrPhilly said:

Plus we still have Kepa, at least for now

Ouch… he can’t be there for long, right?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TEW said:

Ouch… he can’t be there for long, right?

Who knows?  He's lasted two full years with Mendy around already.  He's actually been pretty solid and gotten rid of his mistakes when he's gotten the chance.  I guess somebody will take a shot and buy him at some point.  Maybe a Spanish club just out of the top 3 or something.

Multiple reports coming in that Madrid are lining up Jude Bellingham for a transfer in summer of 2023.

I’m guessing they’ve talked to Modric or Kroos and have an idea that one or both are retiring next season. I wouldn’t be surprised if it were Kroos. He’s said in the past that he will retire early and his level dropped off considerably last season.

That will still leave Madrid with 4 top level young CMs for 3 spots. It’ll be interesting to see how that shakes out if the deal is completed.

Risky business this transfer window for Barca.

They’re in financial hell and splash 45 million plus a huge contract on a striker who turns 34 in a month? I mean, obviously Lewa is a great player, but they just threw a bunch of money at Torres last winter, they have Fati, added Raphinha for another €65M, plus Dembele on the wing. Assume Depay is sold for €15M or so…

Great attack on paper. Dembele should be an excellent compliment to Lewa. Fati is the wild card — hopefully he can stay healthy, because if he reaches his potential that trio could be electric. Not really impressed with Raphinha to be quite honest but plenty of people rate him highly so I guess we’ll see on that.

But this kind of spending is exactly how Barca got into the mess they’re currently in. I would have skipped on Raphina if they were going to sign Lewa. I don’t see the minutes for Torres to justify that giant transfer fee they just paid. I guess he just gets written off as depth?

And they still haven’t sorted their defense yet. As much as I love watching Barca implode, I genuinely hope it doesn’t backfire because La Liga needs a strong Barca. If this is another bad spending spree from them, they’re going to be in serious trouble. 

• Like 1

I really don't know what Barca are playing at. They owe De Jong a lot of money, they want him to take a big pay cut to stay with them and get they are going out and really splashing the cash?

I agree with @TEW that they are taking a real risk. Lewa is a great striker but he's 34. Do i think he'll be a success next year? Absolutely yes. But for how many years? 2 or 3 at most? Raphinha is a very good player but feels like he's a back up or a rotational player. That's a lot of money to spend on that kind of player. 

Over the last couple of years their transfer strategy has been very scatter gun and I'm not sure it has worked out at all?

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I really don't know what Barca are playing at. They owe De Jong a lot of money, they want him to take a big pay cut to stay with them and get they are going out and really splashing the cash?

I agree with @TEW that they are taking a real risk. Lewa is a great striker but he's 34. Do i think he'll be a success next year? Absolutely yes. But for how many years? 2 or 3 at most? Raphinha is a very good player but feels like he's a back up or a rotational player. That's a lot of money to spend on that kind of player. 

Over the last couple of years their transfer strategy has been very scatter gun and I'm not sure it has worked out at all?

De Jong hasn't even gotten his deferred money from COVID and think that is a major hold up. 

Barca has no idea what they are doing. Trash it all and rebuild. As you said they are just throwing darts and hoping something hits

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

11 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

De Jong hasn't even gotten his deferred money from COVID and think that is a major hold up. 

Barca has no idea what they are doing. Trash it all and rebuild. As you said they are just throwing darts and hoping something hits

It’s like they don’t know what to do without La Masia churning out generational talents. So they go for this retarded iteration of a Galacticos policy where they spend huge on good but not great players, or in Lewa’s case great players who should be expected to decline soon.

I just don’t get it. They have some really good young midfielders and Fati could be a world class attacker if he can stay healthy, why not focus on guys 23 and under? They’ll be cheaper and able to grow together.

Throwing money at Raphinha and Torres just doesn’t make sense. Maybe if Raphinha was 20 years old, but he’s 25 — he is what he is at this point and because of his age it’s not like they are going to get much back for him if he flops. There seems to be no plan for Torres either. He’s not a goal scorer and is kind of a tweener between striker and the wing. Hard working player, decent skill, but they spent like €50M on the guy. I don’t see the plan here.

And how in the hell is Madrid the sane Spanish giant these days? :lol:

It’s basically generational talent on huge money, prodigy youth on moderate money, opportunistic youth for cheap money, or proven vets as free agents. And they all fit pretty nicely into the project. It all makes too much sense for uncle Flo to be involved. :roll: 

17 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

I'm not sure that deal is going to get done. And at this point I'm not sure it would be a good move for United anyway. I don't think he wants to leave Barca and not just down to the money they owe him.

Will be attending this one this evening. Not a huge soccer guy, but soccer at Lambeau and I'm all in.

images-10.jpg

• Like 1

El Classico is on now.

Madrid going with a lot of youngsters in the midfield — Tchouameni, Camavinga and Valverde. Hazard playing as a false 9 up top in place of Benzema flanked by the Brazilian starlets Vinicius and Rodrygo.

Will be the last soccer match I go to for a while. Rain delay...really? I get that the forecast had lightning in the area, but this isn't baseball. 

One positive is that the Lambeau turf held up nicely through all the showers. Great drainage system for the Kentucky bluegrass.

Looking forward to real football. First training camp practice in 3 days!