****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

41 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Could not agree more. Soccer isn't what it was 10+ years ago. Not in my opinion anyway. Money has really ruined the game.

Well, Perez gave us the answer with the ESL, but English fans are retarded.

5 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Wow that's special. He's a special talent who really needs to leave Chelsea to play more. 

how good is this kid? I don’t watch the MLS at all.

A little reading and apparently Bayern, Chelsea and Arsenal have all been scouting him heavily.

TBO is 30, he’s 18, so it’s a little bit of an odd fit in Madrid. I guess with Lunin going on loan this summer (and probably sold next season) the kid could come in and be a backup for 5 years, then when he hits 23 he could maybe start.

US draws Wales in the World Cup after a Welsh victory against Ukraine.

England

Iran

US

Wales

I predict a win, a loss and a draw in group play.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LacesOut said:

Does 4 points get them through? I sure hope so.

I suspect in that group yes. You'd imagine England go through as group winners with 6-7 points (I actually have a sneaky feeling that England will bomb out in the groups). So yeah I think 4 points may be enough but that could depend on other things? 

9 hours ago, LacesOut said:

You don't think it's a fairly tough group for the US? I do. 

Umm... Not really. Iran should be the whipping boys and Wales are plucky but not much to write home about. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LacesOut said:

You don't think it's a fairly tough group for the US? I do. 

I think it was very favorable. England have a lot of talent but are chronic underachievers, Iran and Wales should be relatively easy wins. Only problem with Wales is if Bale decides to show up. Other than that we are the more talented team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TEW said:

I think it was very favorable. England have a lot of talent but are chronic underachievers, Iran and Wales should be relatively easy wins. Only problem with Wales is if Bale decides to show up. Other than that we are the more talented team.

England I don't think will get out of the group. They should with the talent they have but I think there's a shock coming. 

England is so overrated on every level. Overrated national team, overrated players, overrated league.

The English arse kicking tour: international edition continues!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, TEW said:

England is so overrated

I agree with this part of your statement. The England national team are headed for a fall and I think it'll be in this tournament. They have a good young team but they have real holes and their manager is not cut out. 

On 6/12/2022 at 7:03 PM, TEW said:

Yes, agree, very favorable for the US.  Doesn't mean we will win any of the games but it is about as good as you could get really.  Maybe another of the weaker teams instead of Iran given the political aspects which no doubt favor Iran in the game itself but asking for that last change is asking a lot.

I think the group is sneaky difficult for England due to the Wales and US closeness culturally which can always be a challenge.  Plus England often plays down to other teams.  The difference is that this England side does seem more confident and steady overall and with a good balance helping them determine when to press forward.

On 6/17/2022 at 4:33 AM, LacesOut said:

Awesome! WC in Philly.

Don't even care who plays here. I am going!!

Absolutely!  I did that back in in '94.  Got the full package in DC (four group games plus one knockout game) plus a quarterfinal up in Boston.  Six games in all.  Of course I hoped for the big teams but it didn't really matter.  All the games were interesting.

6 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Absolutely!  I did that back in in '94.  Got the full package in DC (four group games plus one knockout game) plus a quarterfinal up in Boston.  Six games in all.  Of course I hoped for the big teams but it didn't really matter.  All the games were interesting.

I went to a friendly that year prior to the start of the WC. It was Greece vs Colombia at the Meadowlands. I have a lot of Greek friends, so I was invited to tag along. I’d say the crowd was about 75% pro Colombia though. I’ve had Eagles season tickets since the late sixties, so I had been to many, many NFL games even by that point. And I gotta say, I had never seen an atmosphere that electric. It was insane in the moments before the game even started. And the game didn’t even matter! A real actual WC game must be incredible.

I would love to go to a game when it comes to Philadelphia, especially if it were Germany. That’s my nation of ancestry so I always pull for them unless they’re playing the US. But I have a feeling it will be way too expensive.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

De Jong must be done if moving on to other signings 

Yeah I suspect so. They needed to get De Jong done so they knew what budget they had left to then go after other priorities. 

England's problem is the manager. He plays a style of football that went out of date 10 years ago; boring, defensive and incapable of changing.  Lots of pointless passing sideways and backwards.  I see better football and tactical management in League One.

The US team should fancy winning the group, esp if Southgate is having a bad day.  If Kane is playing in central Midfield again, good times for the opposition.  The Taffs will run around a lot, but they aren't that special.