****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

6 hours ago, PackerNation said:

2 Legends got to exchange jerseys yesterday at Lambeau.

FYcWdelXwAIenPv.jpeg

Not sure I’d call KDB a legend, but cool pic nonetheless.

5 hours ago, TEW said:

Not sure I’d call KDB a legend, but cool pic nonetheless.

I used the word "legend" because if you read what each wrote on the jerseys: "Kevin, Love watching you play, you're a legend."

"To the Legend Aaron Rodgers. All the Best."

Aaron has been a big Manchester City fan for a while.

I believe this pic with fellow Manchester fan Bryan Bulaga is from 2015.

95Rz8qTi8FgP-hhT.jpg

• Like 1

Just now realizing Insigne and Shaqiri are coming to the MLS. I know it's been the retirement league once players have had their fun in european club soccer, but sure seems like they're sailing over here earlier and earlier into their careers.

22 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

I honestly don't know how Barca is doing this. 

Look at that list... And United are nowhere to be seen. And they think they can build back to what they were? Not a chance. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Look at that list... And United are nowhere to be seen. And they think they can build back to what they were? Not a chance. 

Well 

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/wc88gk/ser_barça_will_directly_tell_frenkie_de_jong_to/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Eriksan was free, Martinez was 50, Malacia was 13, and DE Jong will be 70 ish. So will be on that list

Man, Camavinga is going to be so good. He’s just incredible for a 19 year old. His poise and composure on the ball when under pressure is something else. Great physical attributes and a good defender to boot. He’s going to be one of the best box to box CMs in the world sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Well 

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/wc88gk/ser_barça_will_directly_tell_frenkie_de_jong_to/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Eriksan was free, Martinez was 50, Malacia was 13, and DE Jong will be 70 ish. So will be on that list

De Jong isn't going to United bud. He wants to stay with Barca. United should have moved on weeks ago. 

I guess it’s time for Arsenal to lose another season opener.

6 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I guess it’s time for Arsenal to lose another season opener.

I think Arsenal will have a good year

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

I think Arsenal will have a good year

Yeah, they actually look like they’re on the ascendancy.

5 hours ago, TEW said:

Yeah, they actually look like they’re on the ascendancy.

I root for Arsenal casually, which is to say I’ll watch their games on a weekend morning if I notice they’re televised. But I hardly follow their roster moves. My best friend from college is downright fanatical, however. He moved to Greece almost forty years ago and has kinda lost touch with US sports, so it’s super easy for him to focus on European soccer.

I know Arsenal kinda surpassed expectations last year, but wasn’t really in contention either. It’d be nice if they could challenge a bit this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I root for Arsenal casually, which is to say I’ll watch their games on a weekend morning if I notice they’re televised. But I hardly follow their roster moves. My best friend from college is downright fanatical, however. He moved to Greece almost forty years ago and has kinda lost touch with US sports, so it’s super easy for him to focus on European soccer.

I know Arsenal kinda surpassed expectations last year, but wasn’t really in contention either. It’d be nice if they could challenge a bit this season.

They have some good young players and brought in a couple of very versatile vets. We’ll see how it shakes out, but I think they have a chance to end with a top 4 finish.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 8:55 AM, TEW said:

They have some good young players and brought in a couple of very versatile vets. We’ll see how it shakes out, but I think they have a chance to end with a top 4 finish.

Yeah they look like top four with Chelsea dropping out. West Ham could be an issue though. 

@TEW

What can you tell me about Cucurella?  Should I be happy he is now on Chelsea?

2 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

@TEW

I haven’t watched him too much in the EPL, but when in La Liga he was still a bit of a project. The talent was obvious though. Good defender overall, great at pressing and tackling. Good motor. Created a lot of havoc in transition from the press.

He was playing LM back then though, and he’s a left back now from what I gather. That probably suits him. He wasn’t a particularly technical player, especially for a Barca boy.

1 minute ago, TEW said:

I haven’t watched him too much in the EPL, but when in La Liga he was still a bit of a project. The talent was obvious though. Good defender overall, great at pressing and tackling. Good motor. Created a lot of havoc in transition from the press.

He was playing LM back then though, and he’s a left back now from what I gather. That probably suits him. He wasn’t a particularly technical player, especially for a Barca boy.

He came on and played Wingback on the left today and looked quite good.  Pace, smart passes, etc.  Looked like a player though it was only 25 minutes of play.

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

He came on and played Wingback on the left today and looked quite good.  Pace, smart passes, etc.  Looked like a player though it was only 25 minutes of play.

Hope so, paid a lot of coin for him.

Watching Barca fumble away a talent like that is certainly amusing though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

@TEW

He's very very good. A modern full back who's really good on the ball and going forwards. But he's also a pretty good defensive player. He'd have been a perfect fit at City.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's very very good. A modern full back who's really good on the ball and going forwards. But he's also a pretty good defensive player. He'd have been a perfect fit at City.

He looked good after coming on yesterday.  All the new faces at Chelsea looked good, especially Koulibaly.  I'm more concerned with an aging midfield and still not having a clear goal scorer.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Interesting.

My memory of him was as a huge PIA because of his pressing/motor. Defense and athleticism was basically his calling card.

Going forward he was dangerous because it usually came off of turnovers and turned into counter attacks, which accentuated his speed, but I didn’t think of him at all as an attacking player in the traditional sense. He lacked technical ability, passing, shooting, creativity, etc.

If he somehow flipped his weakness to a strength, then yeah, he’s a beast.

46 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

He looked good after coming on yesterday.  All the new faces at Chelsea looked good, especially Koulibaly.  I'm more concerned with an aging midfield and still not having a clear goal scorer.

He was a midfielder in La Liga. If his passing and dribbling improved, he’s a definite option at LM and maybe even as a B2B CM.