****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

2 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Sounds like sour grapes from RM me. 

What part? The part where oil teams flagrantly violate FFP?

That was a nutty final day in the Prem

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

City learned from their master.

2 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

And (I can't believe I'm about to say this) thankfully ended with City lifting the title. 

37 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And (I can't believe I'm about to say this) thankfully ended with City lifting the title. 

Yikes

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Yikes

I know. But they are the lesser of the 2 scum... imagine that. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I know. But they are the lesser of the 2 scum... imagine that. 

That’s your old ManU talking

• Like 1

tried watching some premier league yesterday...but jamie tartt was nowhere to be found. :meh:  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

tried watching some premier league yesterday...but jamie tartt was nowhere to be found. :meh:  

What about Roy?  Sam?

6 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

What about Roy?  Sam?

Woy? He was still there... Watford manager. 😊

ENGLISH ARSE KICKING TOUR, SEASON 14, COMPLETE.

CHELSEA = DESTROYED

CITY = DESTROYED

LIVERPOOL = DESTROYED

EPL PUNDITS EVERYWHERE = ARSE BLASTED

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TEW said:

ENGLISH ARSE KICKING TOUR, SEASON 14, COMPLETE.

CHELSEA = DESTROYED

CITY = DESTROYED

LIVERPOOL = DESTROYED

EPL PUNDITS EVERYWHERE = ARSE BLASTED

Can't argue that Real did it by beating the best teams in Europe. Congrats. 

• Thanks 1

In all seriousness, was a bit of an odd match. Liverpool had far more shots, but I’d say Madrid had the better chances.

TBO was absolutely tremendous tonight, as was the Madrid defense. that matchup between Vini and Mendy vs TAA and Salah proved decisive. TAA’s weakness in defense provided the only goal, while Mendy kept Salah mostly in check.

Liverpool’s biggest advantage was on set pieces but they were not good in this regard.

I actually liked the officiating today. Mostly let the players play. No real controversy. Some Madrid (and even Barca and EPL) fans are saying Benzema’s goal should have counted, but I understand the decision.

I’m also enjoying Owen claiming that Liverpool are the best team in Europe after losing both the domestic and European title in the last week. :lol:  How that clown got to play for Madrid is baffling.

It’s official — Modric announces 1 year extension while Marcelo announces he will move on from Madrid.

I wish we had been able to put a second goal in and let Marcelo play this final. What a wonderful player he’s been. Most decorated player in Real Madrid history. Five Champions League titles, four Club World Cups, three UEFA Super Cups, six League titles, two Copa del Rey trophies, and five Spanish Super Cups over 16 seasons. Also most appearances by a foreign player in Madrid history.

Incredible!

• Like 1

Congrats TEW!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Congrats TEW!

As much fun as I have with my schtick, this was definitely a "skin of the teeth” title. The mid 2010’s were a case of just having by far the most talent. You could make an argument that Madrid had the best player in the world at 7/11 positions. And if the other 4, they were at least top 5. Titles were expected, though a threepeat is extraordinary by any standard. It was just a case of living up to enormous expectations.

This season was a lot different. The vets are past their peak for the most part, aside from Benz and maybe Modric (props to Carvajal for turning it up in the final; he was maybe the least appreciated vet from those title years but was easily the best RB in the world during his prime). It was an odd mix of players — basically half over the hill legends and half wonderkids who didn’t know they were supposed to lose. I’m really looking forward to how that experience and mentality transfers over to the next generation as Benz, Modric, Kroos, Casemiro, Carvajal and Marcelo move on.

This may be the most satisfying European title I’ve ever seen just because of the doubters and EPL bias everywhere, plus the comebacks obviously. The only other one that really is in the conversation is La Decima, just because of the historic significance (and obviously Ramos 94’). But this actually takes the lot for me based purely on the narrative. Michael Owen is still saying Liverpool are the best team in Europe. :lol:

Much credit to Chelsea, City and Liverpool. All solid squads who just came up against a team with an other worldly mindset. For me, Chelsea and Pool were the scariest matchups. No disrespect to City, but there were only about 5 minutes I was concerned with them. Once Rodrygo scored his first, I can honestly say I thought the game was up for grabs, and before then I was confident of victory for most of the match.

I think we caught a break against Chelsea in the second leg when Lukaku was out with injury. That to me was actually the biggest matchup issue we had in the tournament, and it was nullified by injury. Madrid just doesn’t have size and aerial ability at the back like we did with Ramos, Pepe and Varane. Militao is a work in progress (improving to be sure, but not quite there at a WC level yet, though he stepped up in the final) and Alaba is just too small (hoping to see him back at LB with Rudiger coming in). 

City was the most talented team we faced top to bottom, yet was the most confident victory for me. I can honestly say I was confident against them for some time even after the Marez goal in the second leg. I don’t know what it is, but Pep + City was never my concern. Obviously a magic trick by Rodrygo was needed, and fair play to City for hammering the pressure, but they never felt like champions to me. I kind of get a weird vibe from the club like they’re all mercenaries. Haaland might fix that — he seems to have a Madrid like mentality.

As far as Liverpool, I think they’re a talented side and probably the side I feared the most because they have La Liga quality finishers. But that said. the matchups actually favored Madrid heavily, and no one seemed to notice. Everyone loves TAA and Salah, but if you stack them up against their direct opponents in Mendy and Vini, a neutral should realize that it heavily favors Madrid. TAA is a liability at the back, but is supposed to defend Vinicius? I was licking my lips at this matchup. Meanwhile Mendy has the pace and strength to handle Salah (at least as best anyone can). In midfield, was anyone still betting against KCM? I mean, they might be old, but they know how to freaking win! 

So, much respect to those EPL titans. We definitely got put through the gauntlet and if replayed a hundred times there are definitely some alternate universes where Madrid don’t fair so we’ll. That said, the term luck is being thrown out a lot, even now after 5 legs vs the top 3 teams in England. At some point you all are just going to have to admit that Real Madrid are the EPL champions. :P

• Thanks 1

@TEW Nice post!  Yeah, I think you were extremely fortunate to get by Chelsea.  For several reasons.  First, the obvious one, how you were fortunate to get the late goal and push it into OT.  Second, the matchup.  Chelsea matched up very well with Real all over the pitch and especially at midfield when Kante was on.  Third, the first leg.  It was by far Chelsea's worst game of the year.

Anyway, no matter.  Money talks and bullsheet walks.  That's the bottom line.

I think huge credit goes to Real. I've seen Real put together some terrifying teams over the years. The Galacticos and the glamour. Real have always been my favourite Spanish side. I've always been lured by the glamour and the dream team nature of them. 

This wasn't that though. This was gritty. This was mental toughness and just not knowing when they were beaten. This was a team that just hung in there. They have talented players of course not nothing like the past. Vinicius is a fun player and of course Benzema is too but overall this is a real team. Grit and fight and a will to win. It wasn't pretty at times but it was really damn effective. 

• Like 1

Real Madrid's 14 Champions League titles is pretty impressive.  

I have a hard time imagining AC Milan returning to glory anytime soon, although they did win Serie A this year.  They've been a non-factor in Champions League play since they last won in 2007.  Milan is in second place with 7 titles btw.

55 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Real Madrid's 14 Champions League titles is pretty impressive.  

I have a hard time imagining AC Milan returning to glory anytime soon, although they did win Serie A this year.  They've been a non-factor in Champions League play since they last won in 2007.  Milan is in second place with 7 titles btw.

The problem is money. If they get a sugar daddy owner they’ll be able to retain and recruit players. But Serie A doesn’t have the money to compete with the EPL TV contract and AC Milan doesn’t have the brand of Madrid or Barca to make the money organically.

I’d imagine at some point a rich owner willing to spend will buy them though.

• Like 1

I'll return to watching these leagues more seriously when there's more parity throughout. The one thing these leagues can learn from the NFL is profit sharing and setting up salary caps where the owners/committees can't spend ridiculous money while another team is on the verge of bankruptcy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnB said:

I'll return to watching these leagues more seriously when there's more parity throughout. The one thing these leagues can learn from the NFL is profit sharing and setting up salary caps where the owners/committees can't spend ridiculous money while another team is on the verge of bankruptcy. 

They tried that with the Super League and the fans had a meltdown and scuttled the project.

5 hours ago, JohnB said:

Could not agree more. Soccer isn't what it was 10+ years ago. Not in my opinion anyway. Money has really ruined the game.

• Like 1