****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

3 hours ago, mayanh8 said:

I'll be the contrarian on this one and say he won't be nearly as effective in the EPL as he was in the Bundesliga.

He has the size, speed and skills to play in the EPL. He isn't Lukaku who has zero ball skills. 

1 minute ago, DaEagles4Life said:

He has the size, speed and skills to play in the EPL. He isn't Lukaku who has zero ball skills. 

Don't say that name. Please... dont.

200.gif

6 hours ago, mayanh8 said:

I'll be the contrarian on this one and say he won't be nearly as effective in the EPL as he was in the Bundesliga.

His game fits the EPL really well. He’ll enjoy the larger spaces to receive the ball and run into more than he would the tighter windows of Spain or Italy.

The only potential issue I see are the injuries.

@David_Ornstein: "Real Madrid is a bit of a dream for Erling Haaland. I think the view was that, if he goes to Madrid now, he'd be there for life. Whereas coming to Man City now, it could be a bit of a stepping stone."

Makes sense. He wanted to play in a lot of different leagues and you’re not going to leave Madrid in your prime to go to a smaller club. Combine that with no starting position available for him and City agreeing to a release clause, and he’ll have a chance to seek out his dream if he can stay healthy.

4th time this year with yet another super tight game between Liverpool and Chelsea. Really no way to separate the two in any of the games. Even the first penalty shootout was 11-10. Crazy. 

5 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

4th time this year with yet another super tight game between Liverpool and Chelsea. Really no way to separate the two in any of the games. Even the first penalty shootout was 11-10. Crazy. 

And yet the scum won. Such a shame. 

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And yet the scum won. Such a shame. 

Fantastic games. Especially the two cup finals. 

Paris Saint-Germain have given up on keeping Kylian Mbappe at the club next season and expect the forward to announce a move to Real Madridimminently, sources have told ESPN.

There are still some details to be sorted out between Mbappe's attorney and LaLiga champions Madrid, but nothing that would prevent the deal from happening, sources added.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/4668219/psg-give-up-on-kylian-mbappe-with-real-madrid-deal-close-sources

Vinicius, Benzema and Mbappe with Rodrygo as the super sub. Going to be a fun year next season.

Where Barca might not be able to pay their players in June and Frenkie de Jong is looking like he is available because they need the cash 

9 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Where Barca might not be able to pay their players in June and Frenkie de Jong is looking like he is available because they need the cash 

Yeah, sounds like FdJ is going to end up at United. Supposedly Xavi is dead set against the transfer but the Barca board is going to overrule him if they get a high enough price. And recently they just sold 49% equity in their film production company to raise money. That’s just embarrassing.

It’s incredible to me that Barca screwed up their finances so badly. People can say what they want about Perez, but he’s been a masterful steward of Madrid. Madrid have been something like 25th in net transfer spend over the last decade and are a game away from their 5th UCL over that same time period.

Even during COVID Madrid were profitable, and that was with a new stadium being constructed.

2 hours ago, TEW said:

Yeah, sounds like FdJ is going to end up at United.

Don't be so sure there. I think he may end up at City. They've apparently told Gundagon he can leave and FDJ seems an ideal fit for Pep.

7 hours ago, TEW said:

Yeah, sounds like FdJ is going to end up at United. Supposedly Xavi is dead set against the transfer but the Barca board is going to overrule him if they get a high enough price. And recently they just sold 49% equity in their film production company to raise money. That’s just embarrassing.

It’s incredible to me that Barca screwed up their finances so badly. People can say what they want about Perez, but he’s been a masterful steward of Madrid. Madrid have been something like 25th in net transfer spend over the last decade and are a game away from their 5th UCL over that same time period.

Even during COVID Madrid were profitable, and that was with a new stadium being constructed.

Madrid's finances are screwed,  their last accounts only show a profit because they specifically excluded the stadium expenses from the calculations, they've been cutting salaries the entire COVID period just like Barca,  the only reason they can sign Mbappe is because he's free and they finally get Gareth Bale's contract off the books in July, Haaland basically told the World that Madrid was his preferred destination and they didn't make a bid.

That said there are serious questions to be asked about just why Madrid's finances look so much better on paper than Barca's given they were both 'on the brink of bankruptcy' not so long ago, but I guarantee that no one in football will ask them

4 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Madrid's finances are screwed,  their last accounts only show a profit because they specifically excluded the stadium expenses from the calculations, they've been cutting salaries the entire COVID period just like Barca,  the only reason they can sign Mbappe is because he's free and they finally get Gareth Bale's contract off the books in July, Haaland basically told the World that Madrid was his preferred destination and they didn't make a bid.

That said there are serious questions to be asked about just why Madrid's finances look so much better on paper than Barca's given they were both 'on the brink of bankruptcy' not so long ago, but I guarantee that no one in football will ask them

:lol: 

Madrid offered PSG €200 million for Mbappe last summer. The idea that the only reason they can sign him is because he’s out of contract is laughable.

Haaland didn’t join because he’d be on the bench. Benzema is the best player in the world, Mbappe is better than him and can play any position in the front line, and Vinicius is the only one of the four with the work rate and desire to drop into the midfield line to defend. There was no place for Haaland in the gala 11. It’s that simple really. Benzema clearly has a few good years left, so Haaland joined City but demanded a €150M release clause. He’ll join Madrid in 3 seasons when a spot opens up for him and spend the bulk of his prime years in Madrid.

There aren’t serious questions to ask as to why Madrid’s finances are so much better. It’s really very simple — Madrid have balanced their transfer spending with sales. Again, they’re not even in the top 20 in net transfer spend over the last decade. Madrid maintain a strict wage structure unlike Barca who handed out mega contracts to every player they signed. Madrid were never on the brink of bankruptcy during COVID. What on earth are you talking about? They sold players like Hakimi and Odegaard and turned a substantial profit.

Haters gunna hate, but the world arse kicking tour will continue for decades to come!

Real Madrid Secures $380 Million Investment

The Spanish soccer giant has agreed to a joint venture with the investment firm Sixth Street in which profits from the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium will be shared.

Real Madrid, the European soccer behemoth, closed a deal in which the investment firm Sixth Street, based in the United States, will pay about $380 million for a 30 percent stake in the team’s stadium operations.

The announcement Thursday came amid growing optimism among executives that Real Madrid, a 13-time European champion, could complete a deal to sign Kylian Mbappé, one of the most sought after players in world soccer, as a free agent on a contract that could make him the highest-paid athlete in Real’s history.

Under the terms of the contract, Real, which strolled to a 35th Spanish championship this month, would have no restrictions on how it spends its money. Capturing Mbappé would be a coup for Real, which has been chasing him since failing to persuade his current club, Paris St.-Germain, to accept as much $200 million for him during last summer’s postseason.

The deal between Real and Sixth Street also includes Legends, an American sports event management and hospitality company that is partly owned by Sixth Street. The partnership will last for 20 years and be run through a joint venture that will contain all of Real’s in-stadium income, with the exception of season-ticket sales.

The investment is the latest part of Real’s attempts to grow new revenue streams from its celebrated stadium, which is undergoing a $1 billion retrofit, after which games will be played on a retractable field.

"The transformation of the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium will be a turning point in the history of Real Madrid,” Real’s president, Florentino Pérez, said in a statement. "This agreement strengthens the club’s goal of continuing to significantly increase the stadium’s revenues from both sporting and other types of events.”

While Real remains the dominant player in Spanish soccer and will compete in the Champions League final once more next week, it has been facing pressure to keep up with changing forces in the global soccer landscape. Despite generating more wealth year over year than practically any other soccer team, the team has struggled to compete for the best talent with clubs backed by deep-pocketed Arab states and billionaires. Turning the Bernabéu into what club officials have likened to a version of Madison Square Garden may help it maintain its muscle in the marketplace.

The agreement also bears some hallmarks of the one Spain’s domestic league, La Liga, signed with another investment fund, CVC Capital Partners, that Real rejected and is suing against. CVC agreed to part with more than $2 billion in return for almost 10 percent of the league’s broadcast income for 50 years, a price that Real — and the league’s other best-supported team, Barcelona, as well as member-owned Athletic Club from Bilbao, thought was too steep.

Real officials have pointed out that unlike that deal, the arrangement with Sixth Street, which also owns a portion of the N.B.A.’s San Antonio Spurs, is limited to the investment fund’s sharing in profits, not revenue, from the venture.

"Real Madrid’s Santiago Bernabéu is hallowed ground in the world of football, and we are honored to be joining this partnership to invest in the innovative, long-term strategic vision that has guided the club’s consistent success over its storied history,” said Alan Waxman, a founding partner and the chief executive of Sixth Street.

Real benefited from the pandemic by moving to its training stadium at a time when supporters were barred from attending public events. It returned to the arena this season even though construction work continues. The stadium’s refurbishment is expected to be completed in time for the start of the 2023-24 season.

The team’s finances are largely under control even though the stadium debt is almost $1 billion. Servicing costs about $40 million a year. The cash infusion from Sixth Street will mean the club’s short-term debt will be wiped out and replaced with $260 million available to spend.

Those finances could allow Real to add reinforcements should it manage to secure Mbappé. The striker said recently that he was close to announcing his plans for next season. P.S.G., his current club, has offered him a contract extension worth far more than the offer from Real. But Mbappé has made several comments indicating his desire to play in Madrid, a destination and team that have been magnets for the game’s best talent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/19/sports/soccer/real-madrid-sixth-street-capital.html

Yeah, Madrid have money problems. :lol: 

Rudiger to Madrid will be a fun one for me to watch.  He played great in Chelsea's three back system.  Let's see if that translates to success in La Liga.

Unofficially official, all reports are that Mbappe has chosen to STAY at PSG after they basically made him GM of their club Lebron style. :sad:

I have to think that is the end to Mbappe’s chances of ever wearing white. This will be the third time he has rejected Madrid, the first time as a youth and the second in 2017. The first two are understandable, but this was his make or break moment.

Oh well… would have been fun seeing him with Vini and Benz, but time to move on. Rodrygo has shown that he can be a star in his own right, Endrick will likely come as well, so the attack will be fine. Tchouameni should be the priority now along with a RB.

If I'm relating it to other sports who top athletes have the opportunity to make massive amounts of money, I'd be chasing the teams who'd be paying me the most. Mbappe's in his prime earning potential window. You can always fall back on your name after you've maybe lost a step and try to latch on with the top club in like 5-7 years. But, regardless, he's guaranteed a UCL entry every year at PSG.

1 hour ago, mayanh8 said:

If I'm relating it to other sports who top athletes have the opportunity to make massive amounts of money, I'd be chasing the teams who'd be paying me the most. Mbappe's in his prime earning potential window. You can always fall back on your name after you've maybe lost a step and try to latch on with the top club in like 5-7 years. But, regardless, he's guaranteed a UCL entry every year at PSG.

From what his mother said, the financial packages were basically equal. Madrid even allowed Mbappe to retain more of his image rights than they gave to Ronaldo.

It seems the deciding factor was the amount of control PSG gave Mbappe. This is like Lebron, but even more extreme. He is basically allowed to pick the coach and sporting director.

That level of control will never happen in Madrid.

FWIW, the Mbappe deal with PSG is reportedly for just 3 seasons. Haaland has a €150M buyout clause in… three years.

So in three years we’re going to be dealing with this again. :roll: 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Mbappe must be the most unambitious player in the history of soccer.

I’m not too hung up on it.

PSG gave him everything he wanted and more. He picks his coach and sporting director. They have an unlimited budget. He gets to play in his home town. It’s a 3 year deal, while Madrid surely would have insisted on 5 or 6.

I get it from his perspective. Obviously it’s disappointing and not the decision I would have made, but I get it.

And so it begins…

Poch and Leonardo get the ax at PSG per reports.

Mbappe is in charge now. :roll: 

EDIT:

Apparently PSG have a meeting with Zidane set up.

2 hours ago, TEW said:

I’m not too hung up on it.

PSG gave him everything he wanted and more. He picks his coach and sporting director. They have an unlimited budget. He gets to play in his home town. It’s a 3 year deal, while Madrid surely would have insisted on 5 or 6.

I get it from his perspective. Obviously it’s disappointing and not the decision I would have made, but I get it.

Oh I get it from your point bud. I just think the guy lacks ambition. You can't be the best in the world at PSG. That league is a joke. 

What a change of events. I mean the he did blow his penalty kick for France. 

So a few more details/rumors have emerged:

Tebas (La Liga president) has filed a formal complaint with UEFA over FFP violations. We all know PSG are guilty, and we also know UEFA will do nothing because they’re owned by oil money. But I wonder if this kicks off a more steadfast view towards the super league? This situation is exactly why it was formulated. I can’t imagine that United and Liverpool or Juve and Milan or Bayern and Dortmund (though supposedly the German clubs can’t join for some legal reason) are looking at this situation and feeling good. If a club can have €700 million in losses because they have endless petrodollars, all of the traditional powers are eventually going to be overtaken. So I wonder if they go to EUFA and say "this has to change, there has to be HARD financial rules that are actually enforced, or we walk.”

Second thing, more of a rumor, is that a pre agreement between Mbappe and Madrid was made where Mbappe would have to pay Madrid a large fee if he backed out (similar to the Figo deal in the original galacticos era). Could be interesting if Madrid get a bunch of money out of this fiasco.