****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

I have mixed emotions about Argentina winning. I was pulling for them all the way until their antics against the Netherlands, specifically kicking the ball at their players on the bench. I guess I'm too much of a gracious winner to tolerate such behavior. 

17 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Unheralded and lost in the chaos of that match were the crucial saves by Lloris and Martinez in the dying minutes of ET. Also huge credit to Deschamps to sub out Giroud and Griezmann that early, very ballsy moves that came so close to paying off. Scaloni was smart to start DiMaria, but thought he jumped the gun to sub him off for the far more inferior Acuna. Not sure why he waited so long to use some of his other subs when they looked so gassed for the final 20 min of regulation.

ADM was Argentinas best player through most of the match. He’s always been a hardworking, clutch player. Was nice to see him play a big role in the final.

• Like 1

:drool: :drool:

to the first pic

• Haha 2

On 11/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I do remember getting to see Pelé play (if I'm remembering correctly), and at the time he was one of the more famous soccer players in the world (again, if I'm remembering right). 

Brazilian soccer legend Pelé dies at age 82

US Soccer should wash their hands of both Berhalter and the Reyna family. 

• Like 3

Gio is going to be a key player for the US over the next decade. This crap has to end here. I honestly wonder what, if any, part he played in this latest drama.

Parents who would rush to ruin someone’s life, going so far as to resort to blackmail, for simply criticizing their son aren’t just going to stop. US Soccer should stay as far away from that as they possibly can.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TEW said:

Gio is going to be a key player for the US over the next decade. This crap has to end here. I honestly wonder what, if any, part he played in this latest drama.

This whole situation is absurd, Berhalter didn't even name Reyna in the original comments that were in a private leadership seminar and were never meant to be published, even when they were published in error, nobody would know it was Reyna he was talking about if Gio had just kept his yap shut, but for that Reyna's mum reports Berhalter for an incident from 1991 after threatening him?

I have no sympathy for domestic abusers, but unless there's a history of further incidents from the intervening 31 years (including 25 years of marriage), this was never anything to do with US Soccer and Reyna's family are just miserable ish buckets honestly, that have done nothing good for their son with this stuff at all.

31 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

What a mess for US Soccer. 

If it gets Berhalter out, it’s for the best.

Next cycle we need a front line of Reyna, Pulisic and Pepi. That should be a trident that can actually score some goals — plenty of size, pace, skill, playmaking, and hopefully with Pepi some finishing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TEW said:

If it gets Berhalter out, it’s for the best.

Next cycle we need a front line of Reyna, Pulisic and Pepi. That should be a trident that can actually score some goals — plenty of size, pace, skill, playmaking, and hopefully with Pepi some finishing.

Honestly think some American's are massively overestimating the level of talent available to Berhalter this year, neither Pulisic or Reyna are prolific goalscorers and I'm not sure either makes their current clubs best 11. Dest and McKennie play for top European sides but outside that 4 the rest of the squad is domestic league and lower end Euro clubs, players like Aaronson aren't starting for English relegation fodder, as a squad it's not much more talented than Canada, if at all.

I'm not saying Berhalter is a great coach, but I do think it's odd that a squad that went into the tournament with a narrative of 'this is just tournament experience for the youngsters for 2026' left it with a narrative that 'Berhalter needs to go because he wasted the talent at his disposal', Gio Reyna wasn't making much difference.

6 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Honestly think some American's are massively overestimating the level of talent available to Berhalter this year, neither Pulisic or Reyna are prolific goalscorers and I'm not sure either makes their current clubs best 11. Dest and McKennie play for top European sides but outside that 4 the rest of the squad is domestic league and lower end Euro clubs, players like Aaronson aren't starting for English relegation fodder, as a squad it's not much more talented than Canada, if at all.

I'm not saying Berhalter is a great coach, but I do think it's odd that a squad that went into the tournament with a narrative of 'this is just tournament experience for the youngsters for 2026' left it with a narrative that 'Berhalter needs to go because he wasted the talent at his disposal', Gio Reyna wasn't making much difference.

His inability to adapt during a game, which LVG called out, his substitutions, not bringing Pepi are reason enough for me

Oh look Pepi getting interest from an EPL club, let's see where Jesus Ferreira is at, still FC Dallas

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I mean, we definitely aren’t at the level of a top European or South American side, but Pulisic and Reyna are legitimate champions league level players.

The fact that we lack goal scoring is all the more reason that a ball carrier like Pulisic and a creative mid like Reyna need to play coupled with a natural goal scorer like Pepi. It’s a really young team, and we weren’t really going to win it all, so better to get the young guys minutes on the biggest stage where they can gain experience and maybe win a prominent role in Europe than play MLS never-will-bes. 

That’s my issue. If the whole point was a look towards 2026, why isn’t your best young creative talent probably ever getting any minutes? Why isn’t your best striker prospect even on the team? It makes no sense.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

His inability to adapt during a game, which LVG called out, his substitutions, not bringing Pepi are reason enough for me

Oh look Pepi getting interest from an EPL club, let's see where Jesus Ferreira is at, still FC Dallas

Exactly. Good enough for the EPL but not good enough to even make the USMNT…

On 1/4/2023 at 7:46 PM, TEW said:

It won't for a simple reason: All parties involved are being enabled. When you are enabled to behave this way, you fail to learn from mistakes, because you are shielded from even being aware that they are mistakes in the first place.

ManU has really started to turn it on