****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

2 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

So, is Arsenal actually good?

Hmm... Yeah they are pretty good but it's been a weird season. City have been hit and miss. Liverpool have been terrible. All credit to Arsenal but I feel they are taking advantage of a bad year for the big boys rather than them being exceptionally good.

• 2 weeks later...

What are the most historic soccer stadiums in Europe?  Are there any like Fenway Park and Wrigley Field, or Lambeau Field, that ooze history?  It seems like even the oldest stadiums in leagues like the Premier League have been modernized to the point where you can't tell they're 100-125 years old.  But that's just from pictures, so I may be wrong.

29 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

What are the most historic soccer stadiums in Europe?  Are there any like Fenway Park and Wrigley Field, or Lambeau Field, that ooze history?  It seems like even the oldest stadiums in leagues like the Premier League have been modernized to the point where you can't tell they're 100-125 years old.  But that's just from pictures, so I may be wrong.

Old Trafford has been around since 1910 and absolutely looks it 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

They need to move I think. As big and hard a decision as that is I think they need to move. 

I just read up on Old Trafford, and it appears the only part of the stadium from before WW2 (before bombing) is a lone tunnel in the middle of the stadium.  Is it a new-old stadium, like how Lambeau Field looks fairly modern in some places?

Any other stadiums that look old, with old brickwork and whatnot?

On 1/26/2023 at 10:41 PM, xzmattzx said:

Probably the craziest example of the modernization trend is Estadio Santiago Bernabéu, Madrid, Spain. Completed in 1947 but will soon look like this:

image.jpeg.b92c806f41d9aabc84e5fddefd9ed790.jpeg

On 1/27/2023 at 4:10 AM, DaEagles4Life said:

The Glaziers haven't invested in the stadium or training facilities at all,  all of the current stadium capacity was completed before they took over (ie even the newest bits are 16 years old), and now the corporate facilities are way way below par (I've experienced United and City's corporate boxes through work and there's no comparison), the stadium itself is shabby and dated and the training facilities are also well below current state of the art.

Old Trafford is in a horrible position for expansion, bordered as it is with the main Manchester to Liverpool trainline on one side which would necessitate an incredibly disruptive and expensive civil engineering project to build over, plus the council has said for years they'll turn down any planning applications for further expansion unless the club ponies up for major transport infrastructure improvements (though whether that would hold if the club proposed building a new stadium in another council district is an interesting question) so it almost has to be a complete new stadium.

The fact the facilities need massive investment and that the Glaziers are currently attempting to sell the club are not entirely unconnected.

On 1/31/2023 at 11:11 PM, DaEagles4Life said:

I hope this blows up in Chelsea face. 

The spending?  They spent a lot but they also spent on youth.  Some will work out and some won't.  It isn't like they brought in a bunch of 29yr old dudes.

On 1/27/2023 at 4:41 AM, xzmattzx said:

I went to the old White Heart Lane which was cool but that one is now redone.

Also, I went to Craven Cottage which is very small and has the old feel like Fenway.  Capacity is around 20k.  I went the day before seeing the Eagles in the New Wembley.

On 2/18/2023 at 2:40 AM, DaEagles4Life said:

Chelsea is in big trouble right now.  The club chose to go full transition and are paying the price.

On 2/23/2023 at 10:15 PM, DaEagles4Life said:

Best manager in football right now 

Can't disagree. The United team is good but not the most talented out there. He's getting more out of less right now.