Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

Was it The Descent?

That’s the one!  Great movie. 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 6:54 PM, hputenis said:

That’s the one!  Great movie. 

Yeah that's my go to horror reco. Such a cool movie.

• Like 1

I'm currently rewatching Midsommar, which I would put in my top 5.  I know that's not popular opinion, and Hereditary might honestly be in there as well.  I just have this fascination for cults where I can't look away.  So it's the best current horror film director combined with my favorite horror genre.  

Anyway.......this movie send chills up my spine in every scene, including the beginning.  Ari Aster's use of music and cinematography is incredible.  I can't wait for his next movie.  

Spoiler

When she finds her entire family dead and she is hysterically crying, along with that horror violin/cello/whatever instrument blaring in the background, I get literal goosebumps and the hair on the back of my ballsack.....I mean neck stands straight up.  

14 hours ago, hputenis said:

I'm currently rewatching Midsommar, which I would put in my top 5.  I know that's not popular opinion, and Hereditary might honestly be in there as well.  I just have this fascination for cults where I can't look away.  So it's the best current horror film director combined with my favorite horror genre.  

Anyway.......this movie send chills up my spine in every scene, including the beginning.  Ari Aster's use of music and cinematography is incredible.  I can't wait for his next movie.  

Reveal hidden contents

When she finds her entire family dead and she is hysterically crying, along with that horror violin/cello/whatever instrument blaring in the background, I get literal goosebumps and the hair on the back of my ballsack.....I mean neck stands straight up.  

The one, and only, time I watched this movie, I was traveling for work and watched it in my hotel room one night.  When that scene hit, I knew I was Fed :lol: That being said, to me, Hereditary was 10000% scarier than Midsommar

• Like 1

An underlying thing that messed with me in Midsommar was how big of a Dhead the boyfriend was... and how it reminded me of selfish, Dhead moments I've had with gfs over the years :lol:. The way he just wanted to ditch her to hang out with his friends/sneak around mentioning the plans he made without her bc he didn't want her coming/crashing the party hit too close to home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

An underlying thing that messed with me in Midsommar was how big of a Dhead the boyfriend was... and how it reminded me of selfish, Dhead moments I've had with gfs over the years :lol:. The way he just wanted to ditch her to hang out with his friends/sneak around mentioning the plans he made without her bc he didn't want her coming/crashing the party hit too close to home. 

That entire subplot hits home with me too.  I've probably done all of the things that boyfriend was doing in previous relationships at some point.  Luckily my wife wasn't watching with me since she was in the kitchen making me a sammich.  🤣 

• Haha 4

I think @eaglegenius posted it a few pages back, but I finally got a round to seeing "The Dark and the Wicked" on Shudder last night.  I read a bunch of different great reviews on this movie, and I have to say it just didn't do it for me.  I was kind of half focusing, but overall, I thought it was a pretty boring movie. 

I'm also watching the remake of Suspiria right now (never seen the original), and so far it seems like it really sucks.  These horror movies where a dance studio is the plot (like Climax - the dumbest movie ever made) just doesn't work for me.  I literally started it 15 minutes ago, and I've read enough solid reviews to see this all the way through though, so I'll report back.  

On 2/19/2021 at 10:07 PM, eaglegenius said:

I really liked these:

Freaky - haven't seen yet
Here Comes the Devil - haven't seen yet
Autopsy of Jane Doe - loved it

Shudder:
Aterrados aka Terrified. - really liked it
Beach House - meh
The Pool - really liked it (super terrible part at the end)
Angst - haven't seen yet
Most Beautiful Island - I thought this was kind of stupid, but 

Spoiler

I'm kind of obsessed with poisonous spiders, and when that Brazilian Wandering Spider was crawling around on her leg, I wanted to cry.  

The Reef - really liked it
Haunt - LOVED it.  So creepy from start to finish and well written, pretty good cinematography too.  

Netflix:
Hellfest (almost as good as Haunt) - LOVED it.  One of my other favorites from last year.  
The Babysitter - liked it.  Entertaining for Netflix
The Boy - liked it but was underwhelmed.  I thought a high budget film about a death doll would have been better.  
Geralds Game - haven't seen yet (Let me know what you think.  I always skip over it).
Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight - liked it.  
The Invitation - really liked it.  Wasn't expecting anything, but it was an uncomfortable ride.  
Await Further Instructions - Really liked it.  Wasn't expecting much here either, but I'm a big fan of horror movies that involve "games."  "Would you Rather" is one of my faves.  
The Bye Bye Man - I can't even remember it which means I couldn't have liked it.  

You have good taste.  I posted my reviews in red.  Also, for anyone out there that is as big of a loser as me, I found a great forum on Reddit for horror movies.  I can usually find something that I haven't seen before if I scroll down far enough.  My screen name is iPhistZombies.  🤣

https://www.reddit.com/r/horror/

Also, for any of you that are looking for more content, download Tubi on your smart TV.  It's free, but you have to watch advertisements maybe twice during a movie.  They may have more horror content than Shudder and Prime.  It's insane.  

36 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I think @eaglegenius posted it a few pages back, but I finally got a round to seeing "The Dark and the Wicked" on Shudder last night.  I read a bunch of different great reviews on this movie, and I have to say it just didn't do it for me.  I was kind of half focusing, but overall, I thought it was a pretty boring movie. 

I'm also watching the remake of Suspiria right now (never seen the original), and so far it seems like it really sucks.  These horror movies where a dance studio is the plot (like Climax - the dumbest movie ever made) just doesn't work for me.  I literally started it 15 minutes ago, and I've read enough solid reviews to see this all the way through though, so I'll report back.  

The soundtrack/score from the original Suspiria is dope 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

The soundtrack/score from the original Suspiria is dope 

From the new version?  Or the old one?  

Honestly I need to just lock myself in here on a cold, rainy day to watch this.  This movie is so dark (literally I can barely see it), and the sun is close to setting in Charlotte, making it perfect for blasting unnecessary light right onto the TV.  

3 minutes ago, hputenis said:

From the new version?  Or the old one?  

Honestly I need to just lock myself in here on a cold, rainy day to watch this.  This movie is so dark (literally I can barely see it), and the sun is close to setting in Charlotte, making it perfect for blasting unnecessary light right onto the TV.  

The old one - it was done by an Italian band called Goblin.  It’s super weird and I love it.  Then again I listen to lots of movie scores which I don’t think many people do :lol: I even started a thread about it on the old board - it was a real hit

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

The old one - it was done by an Italian band called Goblin.  It’s super weird and I love it.  Then again I listen to lots of movie scores which I don’t think many people do :lol: I even started a thread about it on the old board - it was a real hit

I saw Goblin live at PhilaMOCA a couple years back.  They screened Deep Red while the band played the score live over the film. Deep Red is probably my favorite movie score.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

I saw Goblin live at PhilaMOCA a couple years back.  They screened Deep Red while the band played the score live over the film. Deep Red is probably my favorite movie score.

I’ll check it out today - thanks!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Great band.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Saturday night I wanted to watch a horror/thriller with some popcorn and "Knock Knock" came up on my list of suggestions (Netflix). I'm thinking, wow Eli Roth and Keanu Reeves how can I go wrong? Even if it's bad, its probably still pretty good. Boy was I wrong. It was really bad, but not in a good way like other Keanu Reeves movies. It's a remake of a 70's sexploitation movie called "Death Game". I never saw it but from the trailer it looks pretty much the same. 2 Hot chicks knock on this guys door and ask to come in and use the phone. Their clothes are wet and they want to get naked and pretty much beg Keanu to bang them even though he's a happily married dad of 2. Being a married dad of 2 myself, I can relate to this plot. This kind of thing happens to me like every week. So we're off to a good start. 

It's all down hill from there. They spend the rest of the weekend torturing and blackmailing this guy, and the dialogue and the acting just gets worse, and worse and worse. I stuck with it to see how it ends, but the ending sucked too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've seen Death Game but not the remake.  Death game is pretty bad but in a fun way.  The two girls in the old version were played by Sondra Locke, who Clint Eastwood put in all his movies because he was banging her, and the girl that played the maid Yvette in Clue.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2021 at 7:02 AM, Shepard Wong said:

I did listen to this - it was good.  Still prefer the Suspiria score, however.  Just my personal preference.

• Like 2

I somehow just saw Pandorum for the first time over the weekend.  It was fantastic!  I thought I had seen it before and didn't like it, but that was not the case.  Freaking awesome movie, and I highly recommend for anyone that hasn't seen it.  

Also.......my wife is taking care of her mom tonight.  I just saw Bloodsucking Freaks from 1976.  :roll:  What the F did I just watch?  

Rented 'Becky'  on Amazon Prime the other night. Going to be a lot people crowning the young actress for her crazy/dark role in killing the bad guys throughout but I found her annoying. I wanted to see this though bc of the sort of unique cast (Joel Mchale as the dad and Kevin James as the escaped NSDAP prisoner). Both are fine, little better than expected. Thought Kevin James pulled off the bad guy pretty well. I wasn't thinking "funny fat guy Kevin James" every time he was on screen or waiting for Adam Sandler to come out and kick him in the nuts or anything. I think he could do the drama/serious role more often. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

Rented 'Becky'  on Amazon Prime the other night. Going to be a lot people crowning the young actress for her crazy/dark role in killing the bad guys throughout but I found her annoying. I wanted to see this though bc of the sort of unique cast (Joel Mchale as the dad and Kevin James as the escaped NSDAP prisoner). Both are fine, little better than expected. Thought Kevin James pulled off the bad guy pretty well. I wasn't thinking "funny fat guy Kevin James" every time he was on screen or waiting for Adam Sandler to come out and kick him in the nuts or anything. I think he could do the drama/serious role more often. 

I couldn't get through this movie.  I like almost everything too, and I couldn't stop thinking about King of Queens.  

On 3/29/2021 at 10:00 AM, Gannan said:

Saturday night I wanted to watch a horror/thriller with some popcorn and "Knock Knock" came up on my list of suggestions (Netflix). I'm thinking, wow Eli Roth and Keanu Reeves how can I go wrong? Even if it's bad, its probably still pretty good. Boy was I wrong. It was really bad, but not in a good way like other Keanu Reeves movies. It's a remake of a 70's sexploitation movie called "Death Game". I never saw it but from the trailer it looks pretty much the same. 2 Hot chicks knock on this guys door and ask to come in and use the phone. Their clothes are wet and they want to get naked and pretty much beg Keanu to bang them even though he's a happily married dad of 2. Being a married dad of 2 myself, I can relate to this plot. This kind of thing happens to me like every week. So we're off to a good start. 

It's all down hill from there. They spend the rest of the weekend torturing and blackmailing this guy, and the dialogue and the acting just gets worse, and worse and worse. I stuck with it to see how it ends, but the ending sucked too.

I saw this movie.... Dumb as sheet lol. Girls were hot though. That's all

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 9:38 PM, hputenis said:

I couldn't get through this movie.  I like almost everything too, and I couldn't stop thinking about King of Queens.  

I can def be that way most times, but this time I wasn't. I think the bratty Gen Xer titular character annoyed me that much that I didn't get a chance to allow Kevin James to. 

The movie also tries to be smarter than it is with the early artsy shots of the prison vs. the school and then the bus transporting the prisoners and the family vehicle driving to the vacation mountain house. Would be one thing if that style continued throughout the movie but from there on out it was your typical one location low budget semi slasher. So that early stuff just felt really off in hindsight. 

Stupid movie ultimately. But if you wanna weigh in on the Kevin James thing thats really all this is for. 

• Like 2

Kevin James was solid in Chuck and Larry. That movie used to always be on cable. Did it cancel cultured? I always thought it was supportive/helpful to teh gheys? 

• Haha 1

A couple of drive in screenings I’ve got tickets for over the next couple months:

2E3921C3-9E24-4811-9312-3A741758407D.jpeg

D40249CA-9668-46F8-B988-DEFF68632802.jpeg

• Like 2