EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

The 2023 draft isn't for 11 months, so much can happen (half the 1st rd picks will be players no one is talking about right now) that it's silly to speculate.

Remember all the talk about QBs going in the 1st rd this year? Exactly one, in the middle of the 1st rd, then #74, #86, #94. Zappe went ahead of Howell.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest justrelax
37 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Taking Stroud and Young out of the equation for the moment, It will be interesting to see what kind of QB Howie targets in 2023.

Does he target a QB that is more polished and pro-ready, but who comes with a lower ceiling: Phil Jurkovec & Will Levis

Or does he swing for the fences for a QB that will need another year or two of development, but comes with elite QB ceiling: Anthony Richardson & Tyler Van Dyke.

I think history would show that the Eagles prefer the high ceiling QB: Wentz and reportedly Zach Wilson, but will they have the patience to wait for the QB to develop considering the rest of the offensive roster is ready to go?

Or they could do what Dallas did in 1989 - draft two QBs in the first round - Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh.

5 minutes ago, austinfan said:

The 2023 draft isn't for 11 months, so much can happen (half the 1st rd picks will be players no one is talking about right now) that it's silly to speculate.

Remember all the talk about QBs going in the 1st rd this year? Exactly one, in the middle of the 1st rd, then #74, #86, #94. Zappe went ahead of Howell.

Interesting how teams went back to freshman film to draft Stingley high.  But didn't care to go back 1 year on QBs like Howell and Strong.

15 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Taking Stroud and Young out of the equation for the moment, It will be interesting to see what kind of QB Howie targets in 2023.

Does he target a QB that is more polished and pro-ready, but who comes with a lower ceiling: Phil Jurkovec & Will Levis

Or does he swing for the fences for a QB that will need another year or two of development, but comes with elite QB ceiling: Anthony Richardson & Tyler Van Dyke.

I think history would show that the Eagles prefer the high ceiling QB: Wentz and reportedly Zach Wilson, but will they have the patience to wait for the QB to develop considering the rest of the offensive roster is ready to go?

Going back to the Wentz v. Goff comparison, part of the appeal of Wentz was that he had played in a pro-style offense.  One of the comparisons was to Andrew Luck, which I think is fair in the sense that Wentz has the arm and aggressiveness of Luck. He just doesn't have the accuracy and decision making down.  I believe they preferred Wentz over Goff.  I think they would have taken Goff, though, if Wentz wasn't available.   

My sense is that if they are focused on getting a QB they will have 2 or 3 candidates. I don't think Levis is a low ceiling guy.  He's fairly mobile and has a good arm.  If I would have to guess now, he's probably going to be the Eagles' target and they make like him more than Stroud or Young. I think Richardson may be next depending on how his next season goes after a Stroud or Young.  

They mention McCall from Coastal Carolina, watched some of his tape a while back, didn't come away overly impressed.

3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Interesting how teams went back to freshman film to draft Stingley high.  But didn't care to go back 1 year on QBs like Howell and Strong.

I am sure they did but just didn't think they were worth it now.  

4 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Going back to the Wentz v. Goff comparison, part of the appeal of Wentz was that he had played in a pro-style offense.  One of the comparisons was to Andrew Luck, which I think is fair in the sense that Wentz has the arm and aggressiveness of Luck. He just doesn't have the accuracy and decision making down.  I believe they preferred Wentz over Goff.  I think they would have taken Goff, though, if Wentz wasn't available.   

My sense is that if they are focused on getting a QB they will have 2 or 3 candidates. I don't think Levis is a low ceiling guy.  He's fairly mobile and has a good arm.  If I would have to guess now, he's probably going to be the Eagles' target and they make like him more than Stroud or Young. I think Richardson may be next depending on how his next season goes after a Stroud or Young.  

I don't mean that Levis has a Mac Jones type of low ceiling, but no one is going to confuse him for Josh Allen either. He's older than anyone in the class and has still yet to display a high end deep passing game dimension in his play.

He's very much a timing, RPO, and short passing QB so far. It will be interesting to see is Kentucky let's him use his arm, that is pretty good enough, to its fullest extent this year.

56 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Yes please

5 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

They mention McCall from Coastal Carolina, watched some of his tape a while back, didn't come away overly impressed.

He’s not loaded with arm talent but his AY/A of 13.6 has to be near the top in FBS football and he’s mobile.   Rick Mueller is an executive with Coastal he’s a former FO guy with the Eagles from 2012-2016.  
 He did have throwing shoulder surgery in January which doesn’t help a QB with arm strength, unless he takes the same vitamins Drew Brees did. 

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

I'm not interested in Young or Stroud. My top 3 I'm interested in, and will be watching as much as possible next season are Richardson, VanDyke and Jurkovec.

17 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I'm not interested in Young or Stroud. My top 3 I'm interested in, and will be watching as much as possible next season are Richardson, VanDyke and Jurkovec.

Richardson has 66 college throws and 58 rushing attempts.  I'm not interested in any college QB who doesn't read the field and distribute the football.

Anything over a 20% running ratio in college is an automatic "no" for me.  That's no on Richardson, Levis, McCall, Hooker, Rattler.  Haener and Hartman are too small.

2 hours ago, Freshmilk said:

It would mean Hurts played better than expected.

What if they both put up 400 yards and 2 TDs?

11 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

I don't mean that Levis has a Mac Jones type of low ceiling, but no one is going to confuse him for Josh Allen either. He's older than anyone in the class and has still yet to display a high end deep passing game dimension in his play.

He's very much a timing, RPO, and short passing QB so far. It will be interesting to see is Kentucky let's him use his arm, that is pretty good enough, to its fullest extent this year.

Levis has plenty of arm.  He doesn't have an extended throwing motion. He will be about the same age Burrow was entering the draft. He average 7.7 air yards per attempt last season.  That is just under what Burrow averaged in his last season at LSU.  He's a much better athlete than Burrow was.  I am just not sure why he would not be a high ceiling player at QB.  

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Richardson has 66 college throws and 58 rushing attempts.  I'm not interested in any college QB who doesn't read the field and distribute the football.

Anything over a 20% running ratio in college is an automatic "no" for me.  That's no on Richardson, Levis, McCall, Hooker, Rattler.  Haener and Hartman are too small.

You would have passed on Patrick Mahomes then. 

So after watching some of Brown's highlights I think he's actually going to have a good year here and he's exactly the type of receiver that Hurts needs.

7 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

My guy Tanner McKee is who you’re looking for, although he needs to take a big jump next season for Stanford. 

9 minutes ago, greend said:

So after watching some of Brown's highlights I think he's actually going to have a good year here and he's exactly the type of receiver that Hurts needs.

Imagine the legacy of 2020 highlights showing empty and almost empty stadiums.

13 minutes ago, greend said:

Brown is really really good. A lot of fans didn't see TN. Having a really really good WR as an addition can only help any QB

21 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

You would have passed on Patrick Mahomes then. 

23% might warrant a player personnel meeting.  88% like Anthony Richardson is at?  He can F off.  He's running because it what he wants to do.

27 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

What if they both put up 400 yards and 2 TDs?

I'd be a tearful bloke in Florida

27 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

So you wouldn't have drafted Mahomes or Allen? :huh: My top is Van Dyke, followed by Jurkovec. I'm interested to see how Richardson looks this year coming in as the man. McKee needs watching too. Stanford guys, ya know...

2 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33861237/nfl-draft-2022-ranking-best-draft-trades-why-eagles-not-traded-no-13

The full Seth Walder BS analytics take that the Eagles had a 55% chance at getting Davis at 15 thus they shouldn't have traded up.

Absolute nonsense. Annoying that anyone takes this dude seriously.

Based on everything I've read...if he was there at 14, the Ravens would have one hell of a NT, instead of one hell of a S/LB.

8 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

So you wouldn't have drafted Mahomes or Allen? :huh: My top is Van Dyke, followed by Jurkovec. I'm interested to see how Richardson looks this year coming in as the man. McKee needs watching too. Stanford guys, ya know...

Allen I'd have taken a long look at because of his cannon for an arm.  His Pro Day was funny to watch, because the guys he had there as receivers couldn't even catch his long throws -- there was so much arc.

Archived