EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

20 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

He had 26 total TDs last year. He averaged 262 total yards per game.

Just because you ignore stats doesn't mean that they don't exist.

I can't change your mind. But at least understand that when rational people evaluate Hurts, they do it much differently than you do. That's why he is considered to be an average quarterback by people who get paid to evaluate those kind of things. It's why he's the starting qb of the Eagles. It's why they are building around him and giving him every chance to succeed.

He's an average player, but a crap quarterback. QBs are measured in the air. No HoF QB is talked about of how well they ran. Hurts compensates for being below average in actual QB stats with what most would consider complementary stats.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And adding those stats means you add to the stats for all the other QB's, which does not really elevate Hurts up the list.

Mac Jones - 231 total yards a game, 22 total TDs (in 17 games. Hurts had 26 TDs in 15 games.)

Ryan Tannehill - 235 total yards a game, 28 total TDs (17 games.)

Jimmy Garoppolo - 257 total yards a game, 23 TDs (15 games.)

All considered to be average qbs. All with worse stats than Hurts.

262 total yards a game and 26 TDs in 15 games is an average qb in the NFL. That's just the way it is, and your whining won't change it.

5 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Mac Jones - 231 total yards a game, 22 total TDs (in 17 games. Hurts had 26 TDs in 15 games.)

262 total yards a game and 26 TDs in 15 games is an average qb in the NFL. That's just the way it is, and your whining won't change it.

So backup QB stats plus back up rb stats equal average starting QB lol 

What a way to accept mediocrity. It's why I struggle to talk football with so many in this fanbase. The underdog story is old. I rather keep trying for the damn dude who isn't lacking in 50% of what's needed for a position and just go get someone who can do the damn job the right way 

7 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

I would easily take all three of those guys over Hurts btw. 

9 hours ago, NCiggles said:

Being sensitive to heat doesn't mean you are more at risk for heat stroke.  Also if you read the studies you google, you would see that heat and cold sensitivity are self reported symptoms in about 6% of vaccine recipients.  That could also be related to people who's immune system responds to the vaccine stronger and has a fever.  It's just not the same thing as being more likely to die of heat stroke.  Heat stroke is caused by exposure to high temperatures or somtimes strenous exertion in a warm environment.  Barber was trying to exercise in a sauna above 90 degrees.  

It was a joke lol.

9 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

Difference of hurt fans and hurt doubters.  Here is a hypothetical stat line that creates the debate.

Hurts goes 12/18 178 yards 1 passing touchdown and runs for 50.  Team wins 24-13. Was this a good game? 

Hurts fans see 66% completion and a touchdown. Hurts doubters see a team who didn't want the QB involved. There are plenty of games like this so far in his career.

I don't care about stat lines as long as the offense is efficient and his production is sustainable against top teams to keep us in the game.

8 hours ago, downundermike said:

Only the two bolded won a Super Bowl. 

Nick Foles won the NFCCG and Super Bowl with his arm.

image.png.726bf47647f4b7544343a3275223356b.png

Brad Johnson played on a team with a historically good defense.  They were 500 yards better than second best in yards allowed, and allowed 12.3 PPG.

Flacco also won one as well, with a near historic defense, but till his knee injury Flacco shined in the post season (just was mediocre in the regular season).

42 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

I don't care about stat lines as long as the offense is efficient and his production is sustainable against top teams to keep us in the game.

So skip Bayless eye testing it? 

1 minute ago, Shalodeep said:

So skip Bayless eye testing it? 

Sure if that's what you want to call it...I call it being realistic.  Hurts is never going to be a top passing QB, what he can do is limit mistakes reading the field and make accurate throws so the O isn't in the negative in terms or 3 and outs to sustained drives.

11 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Hurts can be considered a real QB when we can stop using the words total when talking about his stats and leadership/intangibles when talking about his strengths.

When someone is prepared to talk about Hurts without using those 3 words, then maybe I'll listen.

1. *C.J. Stroud, Ohio State (6-3, 220)

Best trait: Touch and anticipation

Stroud was the best quarterback prospect I watched last season in college football — and he got better and better as the season progressed, culminating in a remarkable Rose Bowl performance.

Stroud checks the boxes physically, but his instincts as a passer are what really elevate his game, especially considering he was only a redshirt freshman last season. He anticipates and layers throws exceptionally well with a delicate touch that ensures his receivers don’t have to work for the catch.

Stroud is a steady and generous facilitator: He trusts that his receivers are going to be where they need to be, and he delivers a catchable ball so receivers don’t have to work too hard for it. I’ll bet on those traits every day.

2. *Bryce Young, Alabama (5-11, 197)

Best trait: Poise and processing

Stroud was the best quarterback prospect I saw last season, but Young wasn’t far behind. Young’s list of strengths as a quarterback is extensive, but at the top are the two Ps: poise and processing. He is patient yet assertive, as well as composed, but routinely able to make the spontaneous decision. Young does a great job keeping his feet connected with his eyes to alter his platforms, eliminate things quickly and find the vulnerable matchup downfield.

The Russell Wilson comparison for smaller quarterbacks is redundant and tiresome. But the reason you see Wilson in Young’s game isn’t the lack of size, it is the problem-solving ability. Although Young isn’t as thick as Wilson and isn’t the same type of rush threat, they are both athletic, quick-minded players who possess an uncanny feel for making plays. The size concerns will follow Young throughout the draft process and his NFL career, but he will be viewed as the best player in the 2023 NFL Draft by some around the league.

3. Will Levis, Kentucky (6-4, 230)

Best trait: NFL-level tools

In most physical categories, Levis is the prototype. He is well-built with impressive play strength and athleticism for his size. From his pocket steps to designed quarterback runs, Levis has quick feet and loose body movements which allow him to evade pressure or create false steps by defenders with his play fakes. His pocket footwork and awareness were also noticeably better over the second half of last season.

As a passer, Levis has a lightning-quick release with a whip for an arm and above-average velocity to make every necessary throw. He has the talent to deliver from whatever platform necessary and is just as comfortable outside the pocket as he is driving throws from a three-yard drop. In terms of recognition and consistency, Levis isn’t a finished product, but the talent and intangibles are why he has first-round potential.

Must improve: Predetermined decisions

Levis trusts the play design, but almost to a fault at times. He was responsible for at least one interception in 10 of 13 games last season — most of those came when he made his decision before the snap. As a senior, scouts want to see him quicken his coverage reads, pre- and post-snap, to eliminate and work his progressions. Improvements in this area will help him anticipate windows and give him a better sense of placement.

4. *Tanner McKee, Stanford (6-6, 228)

Best trait: Ball placement

McKee is a fantastic rhythm passer with the vision to work through progressions both horizontally and vertically. He stays balanced with his footwork and shows more than adequate arm strength to fire strikes at all levels of the field. But his placement is what stood out the most when studying his 2021 game film.

Must improve: Second-chance plays

McKee is efficient with his drops and climbs and shows the footwork to stay balanced in the pocket. But he isn’t the type of athlete who will make pass rushers miss in confined areas or be a consistent rush threat. Though he won’t magically become a more explosive athlete overnight, McKee can do a better job anticipating pressure and getting a head start to move the pocket, improvise and create second-chance plays.

McKee isn’t without flaws, but I was impressed by his ability to find his balance as a passer to show off his NFL-level arm and mind. Senior receiver Elijah Higgins and junior tight end Benjamin Yurosek are future NFL draft picks, but he needs more help from his supporting cast to help showcase his skills this upcoming season.

5. *Anthony Richardson, Florida (6-4, 240)

Best trait: Rare physical profile

There are more accomplished quarterback prospects deserving of this spot, but there is no college quarterback with more raw talent than Richardson. He is a well-built, twitchy athlete with the speed to gash defenses with his legs and the big body to power through tacklers. Richardson has a powerful arm (both velocity and distance) to put the ball anywhere on the field, and though his delivery is a little long, the ball explodes out of his hand.

Must improve: Sample size

With only 66 career pass attempts, Richardson might as well still be a freshman. And with that inexperience comes freshman-level mistakes and low-percentage throws. Although his size, athleticism and arm are strong selling points, Richardson tends to rely on his physical tools and must focus more on the details of the position. His base and body mechanics are often off-balanced, which throw off his accuracy. Richardson is an intriguing talent, but still has a lot to learn about becoming a polished quarterback.

More potential than production right now, it is extremely premature to predict where Richardson will ultimately be drafted. But it felt wrong to leave him out of the top five quarterbacks for next year because of his sky-high ceiling if he continues to harness his skills and become a more consistent decision-maker.

3 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

Had some meetings in the morning but met the misses down the shore for this afternoon. couple adult beverages. nice day down here. 

May be an image of dog and body of water

Which one is the misses?

3 hours ago, Iggles25 said:

Who else is poolside on a Tuesday?

Makes Hurts being the QB a little more tolerable 🤣

Cheers!

20220712_172405.jpg

I am in OCNJ. Which appears to be where bacarty is also. 

4 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Ehhh not looking good for old Strong. Starting to think he’s a backup at best now. 

Davis is such an easy dude to like.

Holy hell, you guys are still arguing over Hurts being below average? Lol. 

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yep.  Just a great young man and genuine. Unlike some other player who is so cool, it seems like he tries too hard.  Dean seems like a great guy as well.  But Nakobe is a little more serious, all about business.  

Dean is 5'11" 225ish. I feel like the successful small guys in the NFL always have a bit of a serious side/edge to them. Easier to be laid back and affable when you're built like a minivan I guess.

11 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Because none of that is what you said.  You said the Eagles didn’t draft Pickett because they like Hurts.  In reality, they know Pickett and Hurts are basically average or below average.  You acted like it was an endorsement of Hurts.  So yeah, no one else is going to grasp your distorted view of the situation, because you’re an idiot.  

The thing about this is the Philadelphia eagles would never select a quarterback in the first round unless they absolutely loved the kid and thought he could be a franchise quarterback. The Eagles are not going to draft a quarterback in the first round if they aren’t absolutely in love with the kid and believe he has the capability of being a franchise Qb. If the Eagles evaluated Kenny Pickett as only average, limited ceiling and they didn’t have anybody else at quarterback, they still wouldn’t take Kenny Pickett in the first round. 

I’d argue the nfc west is the best. Legitimately have 4 pro bowl caliber WRs. juju really hasn’t been good/great in 3 years. and Sutton is solid but not great. If i were ranking all 8 WRs between AFC west and Nfc west based off last year I’d go: kupp, Adams, deebo, allen, Hopkins (when healthy), Lockett, Sutton and juju. 

I’d also argue the nfc east could be above the afc north. 

3635A1E1-66F5-4C17-8067-EF0DB3D7B20C.jpeg

10 hours ago, Wentz_Era said:

Sure if that's what you want to call it...I call it being realistic.  Hurts is never going to be a top passing QB, what he can do is limit mistakes reading the field and make accurate throws so the O isn't in the negative in terms or 3 and outs to sustained drives.

Then we are wasting our time. 

8 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Nope, not the discussion.  Try to keep up.  Or don’t.  

They were talking about it on the same page I posted that and the page before this they are still going over stats to prove he is below average. Why don't you keep up. 

12 hours ago, downundermike said:

And adding those stats means you add to the stats for all the other QB's, which does not really elevate Hurts up the list.

@4for4EaglesNest 

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

LOL.  You know when you quote someone, you don’t have to also tag them.  😄  Come on man, do better.   Hurts is going to be talked about, get used to it.  

I had to get up earlier than usual, I'm out of it lol. I know he will be talked about I just didn't think they would still be going with the same clown since early morning yesterday lol. 

3 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Richardson is really, really being talked up.  Can he live up to the hype?  The same was said about DJ Uiagalelei at Clemson and look what happened to him.  I hope Richardson turns in to the real deal.  I'd love to see the big 3 Florida schools be relevant again.  

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

So I can handle this..

Can't wait.

Hurts had 26 combined touchdowns,  which is good for 13th on the year, above average. But then you factor in..

Tannenhill had 7, which makes it go from 21TD's to 28. 

Tannehill played two more games. 

Kyler Murray had 5, so 24 to 29 Total TD's.

No one is saying Hurts is better than Murray, who is definitely above average. 

Wilson had 2 so 26 to 28. 

See above.

and before you know it, when you use combine Touchdowns for every other QB in the league, Hurts is once again below average.

You didn't account for how many games Tannehill played. So redo your math and get back to me.  

Now lets do  the 262 "total yards" that you brought up. 

Yup, because that actually matters. 

Well that number is good for 9th. (nice) But wait...theres more....

Josh Allens 259 goes to 303yards. Rodgers 257 goes to 267. etc etc etc.

Again, if we are comparing Hurts to Josh Allen and Aaron Rodgers, how does that make him average?  

The good news, this stat does make him average.

Hooray, Bacarty did some learning today. Congrats.

So of the 7 stats, he's below average in 6 and average in 1

There are three stats that matter - total yards, total TDs and turnovers. The fact that you have admitted he is at least average in all three stats has only one logical conclusion. Honestly, I don't care if you ever get there or not. But in the stats that matter, he is average, which is why he is the team's starting qb. Ultimately, you can come to whatever conclusion you want. It matters not to me. I am just trying to help you comprehend why the team is doing what it is doing. If you don't want to understand, that's fine. My life doesn't change. 

Archived