EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Which of those QB's would you look to upgrade on ??

In terms of what?

Would I take Josh Allen over them? Yes. 

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

In terms of what?

Would I take Josh Allen over them? Yes. 

Draft, FA, trade, would you be looking to upgrade from those QB's ??

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

gross

Instant L for us. They clearly know Hurt's reality is skewed when he sees red

Just now, UndyTaker said:

Instant L for us. They clearly know Hurt's reality is skewed when he sees red

In fairness to you, it is really tough to be witty. But keep trying.

9 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Oh like this guy?

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/why-stats-dont-begin-define-eagles-qb-jalen-hurts#:~:text=And if you just look,to be considered as well.

We’re so used to quantifying everything, and with the vast array of analytics and stats available these days it’s understandable. And if you just look at the numbers, yeah, maybe Hurts is a below-average quarterback. He’s 21st out of 32 QBs in passer rating, 23rd in TD passes, 27th in completion percentage, 28th in yards per game. Although certainly his rushing numbers - 784 yards, 10 touchdowns – need to be considered as well.

I decided to take a look at the bolded in order to analyze how much importance should be placed on this, and how much "credit" should be given to Hurts for these numbers.

It's been discussed before what weight to put on Hurts' running ability and how much it contributes to the overall success of the Eagles' run game.  I have argued "not a lot" because of two factors.  1)  The Eagles as a team ran the ball extremely well in both games Hurts didn't play in 2021 vs the Jets and Turds and  2) Hurts' acumen in the Eagles run game is shared by his lead RB in Miles Sanders:

Hurts -- 139 carries for 784 yards and 5.6 yards per carry

Sanders -- 137 carries for 754 yards and 5.5 yards per carry

Seriously -- just turn and give the ball to your RB to achieve the same success.  Minimal benefit in Hurts carrying the ball instead of Sanders, IMO.

Next -- how to value the 10 rushing TDs:

vs SF -- 1 yard TD run

vs CAR -- 1 yard TD run, 6 yard TD run

vs TB -- 6 yard TD run, 2 yard TD run

vs NO -- 1 yard TD run, 3 yard TD run, 24 yard TD run

vs WSH -- 1 yard TD run, 1 yard TD run

IMO TD runs of 1 and 2 yards?  Again, just give the ball to the RB and let them do it, and that accounts for 6 of these 10 TD runs.  I would say there is a contribution on 4 of Hurts' TD runs outside the 3-yard line, where it isn't as easy to assert anyone else in the backfield could have just done it.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Draft, FA, trade, would you be looking to upgrade from those QB's ??

Yes. Of I had the chance the draft someone of Josh Allen's ability, I would upgrade. If I had a chance to sign Russell Wilson I would upgrade.

But I wouldn't draft Mac Jones to replace Ryan Tannehill. 

1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

In fairness to you, it is really tough to be witty. But keep trying.

Your perception of reality and reality are two different things.

Just now, UndyTaker said:

Your perception of reality and reality are two different things.

Yup, keep swinging slugger.

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Yes. Of I had the chance the draft someone of Josh Allen's ability, I would upgrade. If I had a chance to sign Russell Wilson I would upgrade.

But I wouldn't draft Mac Jones to replace Ryan Tannehill. 

Well Jalen Hurts is grouped with those guys in all of the ranking sites you posted.  They are all average at best, and the Eagles will continue to look for an upgrade.

Hurts may be the starter at the beginning of the season, but the Eagles want to be a passing team, and two passing QB's are waiting on the depth chart.

16 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

What it all comes down to is the type of offense the Eagles want to run and how it fits into their organizational philosophy.  That is far more important than one individual player at the QB position.

It has been said quite a few times that the Eagles wish to win games by throwing the football.  There is a substantive reason for that; it's the way the NFL game has been trending for some time and continues to do so.  A few examples of successful offenses from 2021 and their offensive breakdown:

Chiefs -- 1,106 total plays -- 675 pass plays and 431 running plays = 61% passing offense

Bucs -- 1,116 total plays -- 731 pass plays and 385 running plays = 65.5% passing offense

Turds -- 1,110 total plays -- 647 pass plays and 473 running plays = 58% passing offense

Packers -- 1,039 total plays -- 593 passing plays and 446 running plays = 57% passing offense

Rams -- 1,027 total plays -- 607 passing plays and 420 running plays = 59% passing offense

Eagles -- 1,044 total plays -- 494 passing plays and 550 running plays = 47% passing offense

If the organization is targeting 1,100 offensive plays over 17 games, that's about 65 offensive plays per game.  If they're targeting a 60% passing offense, that means your QB is throwing the football 39 times per game.  That means you need your QB to be capable of 25/39 or 26/39 as the standard.  11 yards per completion would be 275 yards per game passing, on average.  

The Eagles will need to determine this season if Hurts is capable of operating this type of offense -- because to be a contending team that's pretty much the requirement.

Just looking at the offense is a bit myopic, IMHO.  If you look at the defensive performance, you will note a significant improvement (for the most part) when the Eagles changed the offense.  The presumption that the offense changed stoley because of Hurts’ performance as a passer seems flawed.  I believe the offense changed for more reasons than Hurts’ passing game flaws.

1. The defense was getting mauled in the games where the offense was pass heavy.  Now there are multiple factors involved.  The defense was playing on shorter fields due to the failure of the offense to move the ball in those games.  That was because the defense, lacking talent at LB and in the secondary, besides Slay, and failing to pressure opposing QBs, had to play a bend don’t break style that works on longer fields better than shorter ones.  The defense also was failing to stop the run as it progressed from less wide 9.
2.  The Eagles went from Nick calling the plays to Shane.  Shane has always called more running plays. 
3.  Some of that falls to Hurts but some also to Howie’s failures, JJAW and Reagor (the latter saw his playing time decrease as the season went on) and the need for Watkins to develop.  Clearly, Watkins was learning to expand his route running.  (Still has some catching issues but it is clear he has worked to improve there.  JJAW found some work ethic as a run blocker but falls flat as even a decoy.  Reagor seems to be immature and entitled.

4. The Eagles Gs injuries forced them to the running game more.  Driscoll, Herbig and Dickerson did better run blocking than pass blocking.  Heck, so did Mailata, especially early in the season.  Subs Clark, Toth, Opeta, and Dillard all looked better run blocking. The nice part of that is Mailata and Dickerson improved as pass blockers as the season went on.

5  Surprisingly, both Scott and Sanders regressed in pass pro.  Gainwell has a ways to go.

6.  TEs went from Ertz to Stoll.  Stoll is very good in blocking but excels in run blocking. 

and, of course, there are Hurts issues that compounded many of these.

7 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I decided to take a look at the bolded in order to analyze how much importance should be placed on this, and how much "credit" should be given to Hurts for these numbers.

It's been discussed before what weight to put on Hurts' running ability and how much it contributes to the overall success of the Eagles' run game.  I have argued "not a lot" because of two factors.  1)  The Eagles as a team ran the ball extremely well in both games Hurts didn't play in 2021 vs the Jets and Turds and  2) Hurts' acumen in the Eagles run game is shared by his lead RB in Miles Sanders:

Hurts -- 139 carries for 784 yards and 5.6 yards per carry

Sanders -- 137 carries for 754 yards and 5.5 yards per carry

Seriously -- just turn and give the ball to your RB to achieve the same success.  Minimal benefit in Hurts carrying the ball instead of Sanders, IMO.

Next -- how to value the 10 rushing TDs:

vs SF -- 1 yard TD run

vs CAR -- 1 yard TD run, 6 yard TD run

vs TB -- 6 yard TD run, 2 yard TD run

vs NO -- 1 yard TD run, 3 yard TD run, 24 yard TD run

vs WSH -- 1 yard TD run, 1 yard TD run

IMO TD runs of 1 and 2 yards?  Again, just give the ball to the RB and let them do it, and that accounts for 6 of these 10 TD runs.  I would say there is a contribution on 4 of Hurts' TD runs outside the 3-yard line, where it isn't as easy to assert anyone else in the backfield could have just done it.

Excellent post. Unfortunately, you aren't paid to write about football, so apparently your analysis doesn't mean anything. 

7 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

I think they look pretty cool

By themselves, I think it's fine. But I'm guessing they will wear their "color rush" uniforms with these which will be all red from pants to helmet. 

9 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Excellent post. Unfortunately, you aren't paid to write about football, so apparently your analysis doesn't mean anything. 

I'm paid for the time I waste on here, does my analysis mean anything?

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Whats your venmo? I'll change this right now!

23 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

See the source image

8 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

See the source image

Frankly i just think leanmean is just anti-Canadian which goes back to his racist roots 

37 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

I think they look like they robbed magneto's stash

31 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

To me

46 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Always thought NYG’s red alternate uniforms were one of the best in the NFL. That strong red to contrast teams who normally have relatively dull colors is a sharp look

2 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

They have a Texas Pete hot sauce vibe to them.

26 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

And the Eagles didn’t draft Kenny Pickett to replace Jalen Hurts.  Finally, you’ve come full circle.  Just a week too late.  

I've come full circle? My position is pretty clear. Kenny Pickett is probably going to be an average qb. If you don't have an average qb, like the Steelers don't, that's why you draft Kenny Pickett, and hope he can be more than that.

The Eagles already have an average qb in Hurts and, based on their actions, they think he can be more than that. If they didn't believe in Hurts, that would have increased the likelihood they drafted a qb in the first.

It's such a simple concept that really has you baffled. I don't know how to make it simpler for you, so you are just going to have to keep working at it. 

7 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

They have a Texas Pete hot sauce vibe to them.

Texas Pete is underrated in my opinion.  

5 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Texas Pete is underrated in my opinion.  

Couldn't agree more!

The Texas Pete Hotter Hot Sauce is one of my all time favorites. And it's a $1.29 a bottle at Harris Teeter.

Archived