EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

Dolt, man Im laughing, hpenis is a dolt too

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

So add the stats for the other guys and tell me where he ranks.

15th just adding the rushing for Murray, Lawrence and Mac Jones.

So he is the middle of the pack when adding other QB's rushing stats, which QB's should not have a lot of.

Here is a number, 1086.  That is how many total yards Hurts is behind Justin Herbert just using Herbert's passing yards ( Herbert also ran for another 300 yards )

Here is another number, 1263.  That is how many passing yards Hurts is behind Josh Allen ( who also ran for 763 yards )

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

15th just adding the rushing for Murray, Lawrence and Mac Jones.

So he is the middle of the pack when adding other QB's rushing stats, which QB's should not have a lot of.

By "middle of the pack" do you mean "average." I feel like that would be a good description.

Here is a number, 1086.  That is how many total yards Hurts is behind Justin Herbert just using Herbert's passing yards ( Herbert also ran for another 300 yards )

I think everyone can agree that Hurts is not as good as Justin Herbert. Or Tom Brady. Or Aaron Rodgers. Or Patrick Mahomes. Or Josh Allen.

Here is another number, 1263.  That is how many passing yards Hurts is behind Josh Allen ( who also ran for 763 yards )

Again, Hurts is not as good as Josh Allen. But on the basis of total yards, total TDs and total turnovers, he is average. That's why he is the starting qb of the team. It is not so the team can save face or because of some other wild conspiracy theory. It's because Hurts gives them the best chance to win. Honestly, I am wondering how this is even a discussion? Bringing up Allen and Herbert as a comparison seems dumb. Last time I checked, neither of those guys is sitting on our bench.

5 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

This guy things very low of the Eagles RBs. 

He ranked Hurts as the 17th-best qb in the league. Clearly he is part of the global conspiracy to help the team save face on its second-round pick.

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

Titans breakdown - I believed they're going to have a decent year just based on there division schedule.

2 Glaring things...1) two Thursday night Football games. Week 11 at  GB  and week 17 vs Dallas

Right of the bat, week 2 they head to Buffalo, MNF, I'd hate to be any team in that spot. 

Early bye week... week 6, I'd hate that. 

They have a rough stretch of... In KC, At home against Broncos,  in Green Bay, Home at Cinnci and then they head to Philly. 

Selfish reasons I bring this up because we could face a beat and battered Titans team. 

Last thought going back to the "ground and pound"  they play some warm weather games last in the year(La, Dome, Dallas, Florida, )

As a titan fan I'd hate this schedule. doesn't play to their advantage and everything works against them.  

Heres a little thing to watch... this is Tannenhill's contract year so to speak. They drafted Malik and I dont see RT coming back for 2023. 

All in all I got the Titans going 10-7ish and winning a bad division. 

Colts will be interesting. Matty Ice's last ride possibly, I wonder if he has anything in the tank. Did the Colts do anything to upgrade their WR corps? 

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You probably say that a lot.  Since you're wrong.....a lot.  

You're getting destroyed by Bacarty....let that sink in.  

You agree with Bacarty. Let that sink in.

Just now, jsb235 said:

He ranked Hurts as the 17th-best qb in the league. Clearly he is part of the global conspiracy to help the team save face on its second-round pick.

Who espouses that? 

The Eagles attempted to trade up to the 2nd overall pick in the 2021 draft to select Zach Wilson. Jets refused them.

They attempted to trade for Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson, both refused to waive their no trade clause to come here.

They did a ton of research on the QB prospects for 2022, and came away less than impressed with them, but still sunk time and resources into evaluating them.

There's enough there to say they clearly aren't content with Hurts as the long term answer. They're forced to start him this year because all their other plans to upgrade on him have failed, so far, and he's on a very cheap contract. How do you interpret those things as anything else? 

1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

Who espouses that? 

The Eagles attempted to trade up to the 2nd overall pick in the 2021 draft to select Zach Wilson. Jets refused them.

They attempted to trade for Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson, both refused to waive their no trade clause to come here.

They did a ton of research on the QB prospects for 2022, and came away less than impressed with them, but still sunk time and resources into evaluating them.

There's enough there to say they clearly aren't content with Hurts as the long term answer. They're forced to start him this year because all their other plans to upgrade on him have failed, so far, and he's on a very cheap contract. How do you interpret those things as anything else? 

I see it as they have an average qb, and have explored options to get a qb they think could be top 10.

How do you see it?

1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

I see it as they have an average qb, and have explored options to get a qb they think could be top 10.

How do you see it?

They have a below average QB. In your own "reality", you've proclaimed that you can win in the NFL with a merely average QB. So, if you can come to that conclusion, surely the professionals making decisions can as well? Why would they be trying so hard to upgrade if Hurts was merely average? 

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

How do you see it?

He is a below average QB, and an average RB

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

hopefully someone with better memory than me can chime in

Ya'll ever heard of a team having two Thursday night games, neither of which are Thanksgiving? (see Titans schedule breakdown above) 

Off the top of my head I don't think so, but Thursday games haven't been around too long. 

5 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

hopefully someone with better memory than me can chime in

Ya'll ever heard of a team having two Thursday night games, neither of which are Thanksgiving? (see Titans schedule breakdown above) 

Just looking at last year, Tampa had 2, and Dallas had 2 ( 3 including thanksgiving )

2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

They have a below average QB. In your own "reality", you've proclaimed that you can win in the NFL with a merely average QB. So, if you can come to that conclusion, surely the professionals making decisions can as well? Why would they be trying so hard to upgrade if Hurts was merely average? 

Because if you can get an elite qb, you get an elite qb. Where did I ever say that the team shouldn't be trying to obtain an elite qb?

Yes, you can win with an average qb. But it gets a lot easier with an elite qb. That's not up for debate.

What is up for debate is whether or not Hurts is an average qb. The stance of many on this board is that he is below average, and several think he is at the bottom of the league. They feel that the team can't win with him and that he has no capacity to improve. That's where the disagreement is.

6 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Basically projecting a ceiling of Case Keenum. 
(Note, he can’t hold a candle to Keenum’s college production so that ceiling seems unlikely.)

As of the end of the 2020 college football season, Keenum holds the following NCAA individual records:

Most career pass completions: 1,546

Most career passing yards: 19,217

Most career passing touchdowns: 155

Most career games with 300+ passing yards: 39

Most games with 300+ passing yards in a single season: 14 (tied with Tulsa's Paul Smith)

Most seasons passing for 5,000+ yards: 3

Most seasons passing for 4,000+ yards: 3 (tied with four others)

Most career total yards: 20,114

Most career touchdowns responsible for: 178

9 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

1.  Because if you can get an elite qb, you get an elite qb. Where did I ever say that the team shouldn't be trying to obtain an elite qb?

2.  Yes, you can win with an average qb. But it gets a lot easier with an elite qb. That's not up for debate.

3.  What is up for debate is whether or not Hurts is an average qb. The stance of many on this board is that he is below average, and several think he is at the bottom of the league. They feel that the team can't win with him and that he has no capacity to improve. That's where the disagreement is.

1.  Yes, the Eagles have been trying and will continue to try, they are only starting Jalen Hurts this year out of necessity.

2.  You can beat bad teams with an average QB ( which is exactly what the Eagles did last year, by limiting the passing of their below average passer )

3.  Yes, it is up for debate, and strictly from a passing metric ( you know, the primary function of a QB ) he is below average.  No one has said he is at the bottom of the league, but as a passer, he floats in the 20-24 range in most metrics, which is below average.

The good thing, is we will have the answers this year, they invested a 1st round pick + to get AJ Brown and gave him a 100 million dollar contract.  They have a top 5 TE, and DeVonta in his second year.  The Eagles will be a passing team this year, and Hurts will not be coddled by the running game.  If he can not make it as a passer, he will be replaced, whether it be mid season, or in the draft next year.

8 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

no you cant. Outliers. We had that conversation yesterday. 

Our only Super Bowl win was an outlier win. 

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Yes, it was. That's why you don't see teams switching QBs with a few games left in the regular season, hoping the backup can catch fire in the playoffs. What's your point? 

6 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

We were top 5 in DVOA in 2017 despite resting all our starters in week 17. We went 13-3. We didn't fluke into a title win.
Also, we were 4th in DVOA in 2016. There were positive signs of success the year before.

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

Well, Stafford, Herbert and Josh Allen were 1, 3, and 4 in INTs last year (as in threw the most). All are above average to elite QBs. 

The only reason Hurts didn't have more INTs is because the coaches literally took the ball out of his hands. That, or he'd just tuck and run if his first read wasn't open. 

Not all interceptions are the fault of the QB.  Some are fantastic plays by the DBs. Some are clearly on the receiver because of bobbles or bad decisions in the route.  So are flukes like,the one off of Goedert’s foot.  Some may well be the receiver getting knocked off his timing.   Some are the result of risk taking where the turnover won’t negatively impact the team due to position or time remaining.  (“As good as a punt”, "Hail Mary”. And the like).  Just like TDs and yards aren’t always reflective of the QB.  (Some YAC results from placement by the QB but a lot has little to do with the placement.). Stats are like athletic measurements. We all use them to analyze but in truth they are two dimensional views in a four dimensional world (time is the fourth dimension).

1 minute ago, BigEFly said:

Not all interceptions are the fault of the QB.  Some are fantastic plays by the DBs. Some are clearly on the receiver because of bobbles or bad decisions in the route.  So are flukes like,the one off of Goedert’s foot.  Some may well be the receiver getting knocked off his timing.   Some are the result of risk taking where the turnover won’t negatively impact the team due to position or time remaining.  (“As good as a punt”, "Hail Mary”. And the like).  Just like TDs and yards aren’t always reflective of the QB.  (Some YAC results from placement by the QB but a lot has little to do with the placement.). Stats are like athletic measurements. We all use them to analyze but in truth they are two dimensional views in a four dimensional world (time is the fourth dimension).

For as many "bad luck" INTs QBs throw, it feels like there are an equal number of good luck throws that should have resulted in an INT, but don't. Defender drops, receiver turning into a defender to knock a ball down, etc. I think it balances out. 

12 minutes ago, RLC said:

We were top 5 in DVOA in 2017 despite resting all our starters in week 17. We went 13-3. We didn't fluke into a title win.
Also, we were 4th in DVOA in 2016. There were positive signs of success the year before.

Silly stats like that only apply when you are trying to make a running back appear to be a functional QB.

Let’s talk defense.  In the playoffs, Tampa was at full health on defense for the first time all season.  That allowed Bowles to change up the D calls a bit, confuse the hell out of Hurts and basically close down the Eagles running game, which was already hurting with a hobbled Sanders and banged up Howard.  But I think there are some things in the Tampa D that Gannon wants to mimic. First off is the controlling DTs. Hargrave, Cox and Davis a bit of an attempt to mimic that. A lot of speculation about Davis as a 3/4 NT, especially with the signing of Reddick.  I see more of a 4i technique (as mentioned by @justrelax). I think Davis plays a bit of the Vea role.  Hargrave and Cox playing the Suh role.  I wonder if we see a bit of Williams in the Gholston role with Reddick playing the Barrett role.

That brings me to the LBs.  What absolutely killed the Eagles in the Tampa playoff game (besides the inability of the defense to stop anything), was the speed of the Tampa LBs.  Now look at the Eagles LBs not named Edwards.  White is a "slow” guy with a 4.69 40.  That’s pretty good speed for a LB, then Jacoby Stevens at 4.62.  That’s pretty good for a LB.  Patrick Johnson at 4.59 can run with most RBs. Bradley 4.53, Reddick 4.52.  The rest are 4.4 guys.  Edwards instincts are what makes up for his speed.  These LBs have speed to match Tampas.  

42 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Silly stats like that only apply when you are trying to make a running back appear to be a functional QB.

This is nonsense. Just say you don't understand analytics.

Archived