EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

Word of the day: Reality 

Add this to the list of EMB themes. Racist, Swag, etc etc..

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TorontoEagle said:

Why is he average? Because you say so? What exactly makes him average? 

I posted four surveys that ranked him 16 or 17th in the league. There are 32 teams.

It's called math. It's also called reality. Whether or not you chose to accept reality is up to you, it's not up to me to drag you into it.

Just now, jsb235 said:

I posted four surveys that ranked him 16 or 17th in the league. There are 32 teams.

It's called math. It's also called reality. Whether or not you chose to accept reality is up to you, it's not up to me to drag you into it.

Reality

2 minutes ago, Swoop said:

I'm not saying they are. I'm saying you are.

Why am I afraid? If they thought a qb had elite potential in this draft, I would have supported drafting that player.

If they see one next year, I want them to draft him.

I want an elite qb as much as anyone.

Just now, jsb235 said:

Why am I afraid? If they thought a qb had elite potential in this draft, I would have supported drafting that player.

If they see one next year, I want them to draft him.

I want an elite qb as much as anyone.

In reality youre afraid

Just now, jsb235 said:

I refuted those sites, who pump him up based on his running ability. 

Here's a newsflash for you...we actually have a great o-line for running, and decent enough RBs. Fact of the matter is, when Hurts missed the game against the Jets, our RBs were still able to put up 185 yards rushing. Minshew posted 242 yards passing, which would average out to 4114 yards on the year. That would be more than fine for most of us, I would think. 

When Hurts plays, we still get the 185 yards total rushing, including Hurts....but the passing # drops to 209 yards per game. Don't you think that's a major issue? 

Just now, UndyTaker said:

In reality youre afraid

Afraid of what, exactly?

I refuted those sites

Good for you.

Just now, jsb235 said:

Afraid of what, exactly?

Good for you.

Ah, good to have an actual conversation. You just throw up random sites that downplay his passing ability, which is what most of us in here are most concerned with. Just stick your head in the sand, proclaim him AVERAGE, and then rant about reality. Cool bro. Have fun. 

6 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

8 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Why is he average? Because you say so? What exactly makes him average? 

21st in passing yards.

23rd in passing TDs.

28th in completion percentage.

22nd in QB rating. 

Go ahead. Tell me how good of a running back he is now to buff your weird argument. 

Please read my post and explain math to me. How do those numbers equal average in a league of 32 starting QBs? 

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Afraid of what, exactly?

2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Reality, of course

Just stick your head in the sand, proclaim him AVERAGE, and then rant about reality.

Again, people who get paid to write about football agree with me, not you.

Maybe use this as a teachable moment, eh?

1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

Oh like this guy?

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/why-stats-dont-begin-define-eagles-qb-jalen-hurts#:~:text=And if you just look,to be considered as well.

We’re so used to quantifying everything, and with the vast array of analytics and stats available these days it’s understandable. And if you just look at the numbers, yeah, maybe Hurts is a below-average quarterback. He’s 21st out of 32 QBs in passer rating, 23rd in TD passes, 27th in completion percentage, 28th in yards per game. Although certainly his rushing numbers - 784 yards, 10 touchdowns – need to be considered as well.

11 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Hmm, Hurts can't be "average" because "average" is whatever I say it is.

Nice argument.

Hmmm. Even with the specific definition of "average" you provided two articles that listed him below that threshold. Nice argument. 

And yes, being better than Drew Lock or Geno Smith or Sam Darnold doesn't move the needle for me. At least try to be as average as Kirk Cousins

10 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

They also posted he's ranked in the 20s in all passing stats. Other than protecting the ball, he isn't an adequate passer. He's ranked with guys who played less games and/or journeymen because he belongs with the journeymen. Your reality is skewed. Out of all QBs who started the whole season for the team, he is near the bottom. Thinking 17th is average means you don't have a grasp of who he is "better" than 

Some aren't even sure he is the best option on the team, and you are bragging about being 17th

As for PFF, Hurts finished one spot behind Mahomes last year....that says all you need to know. 

12 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

Word of the day: Reality 

Add this to the list of EMB themes. Racist, Swag, etc etc..

Swagtual Reality 

32 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

But that's the issue, right? He is average due to his running ability. That's why he's the starting qb of the team. That's why he is in line for a massive payday, which is where the debate is at. He's already average. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you fall in line with reality.

Sure, he's not as good as Josh Allen, or any of the other top qbs, and will likely never reach their level. But does the team need Josh Allen to win a Super Bowl? Is that the only path to success? Garoppolo, Goff, Foles, Flacco, Kaepernick, Grossman, Hasselbeck, Delhomme and Johnson have all played in the Super Bowl over the last 20 years. Maybe having a Josh Allen isn't the only way you can win.

But we will see. The facts are that Hurts is the starting qb, and if the Eagles win football games, he will remain the starting qb. Whether you think that is a good idea or not is irrelevant.

I think they look to move on from Hurts if they do not win the division and go more than one round in the playoffs. All of those QBs you listed were efficient passers during the Super Bowl runs with the exception of Grossman. What's interesting is none of those QBs signed big deals with their teams after taking them to the Super Bowl with the exceptions of Flacco and Goff. Flacco and Goff were both 1st round QBs and showed potential as  The teams fairly quickly moved on from those QBs.   So what would make you think they wouldn't move on from him if he doesn't look ike a top 10 QB? 

4 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

As for PFF, Hurts finished one spot behind Mahomes last year....that says all you need to know. 

Hey mahomie! Deal with it! 

lmao are we really using the "these guys get paid to talk about football and agree with me so i'm right!" argument while also complaining about how content of the blog is down the drain? Yikes. 

29 minutes ago, Swoop said:

See, this is where you have it wrong. We all know it isn't easy. Being afraid to try and find it and hitching your wagon to Jalen Hurts because he's "average" isn't the answer.

I already know it’s gonna be super difficult to get an elite quarterback. But that doesn’t mean i just stop looking if i don’t believe my Qb is good enough to go out and be able to play at a level that can win the ultimate prize. Frankly I think it’s why the Philadelphia eagles were trying to acquire Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson when they became available. Because they might not be what you consider "elite” but the eagles thought it was closer to that then anything they had or could acquire in the draft. Imo i think they believe Wilson is still elite and they thought watson was young still and behind a massively better oline could’ve seen his game go to another level  

I have said this for a while now, I think Hurts can be a top 15 quarterback. Likely somewhere from 11 to 15. Winning a super bowl is the ultimate goal. I don’t think hurts is good enough to get you to that goal as the deeper you get into the playoffs the more often you’re gonna run into teams that are as talented as you or even more talented than you. The Bucs showed the eagles last year they they could only win a football game in one way which is run the football. They forced the eagles to pass and we weren’t good enough. And we definitely didn’t have the defense to win a defensive slugfest. The Eagles had one specific way they could win the football game. the Buccaneers and Bowles were not gonna let them do it. So hurts and the defense needs to massively improve in multiple areas if they are gonna be able to change that narrative  

one of the reasons why lurie and howie  fell in love with wentz prior to the draft was because they saw and felt that if everything else around him started to crumble that day that he had enough talent to where he could overcome and carry the Eagles with his quarterback play (end of 2019 season). Now it didn’t play out the way they thought when they drafted him. but that was a major thing that they were looking for out of the quarterback position. 

37 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

What are your thoughts on Jimmy Garropolo, Ryan Tannehill, Carson Wentz and Mac Jones as QB's ??

Are they good, average, below average ??

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

What are your thoughts on Jimmy Garropolo, Ryan Tannehill, Carson Wentz and Mac Jones as QB's ??

Are they good, average, below average ??

Average.

Archived