EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

29 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

The Eagles already have an average qb in Hurts and, based on their actions, they think he can be more than that.

You mean the actions of trying to trade up for Zach Wilson ??

You mean the actions of trying to acquire Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson ??

You mean the actions of heavily scouting the 2022 draft QB's, including the GM attending games ??

You mean the actions of acquiring an extra 1st round pick in a deep 2023 QB draft ??

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

Couldn't agree more!

The Texas Pete Hotter Hot Sauce is one of my all time favorites. And it's a $1.29 a bottle at Harris Teeter.

Harris Teeter is still probably my favorite grocery store.  Sure, it can be overpriced for some items but they always have good produce, wine and meat selection.  

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

You mean the actions of heavily scouting the 2022 draft QB's, including the GM attending games ??

You mean the actions of acquiring an extra 1st round pick in a deep 2023 QB draft ??

I was thinking more along the lines of trading for AJ Brown, not drafting a qb when they had the chance and pushing the envelope of the salary cap to make sure they have the best possible team around their qb this season.

If I was comparing grocery stores to QBs, Harris Teeter is pretty much Aaron Rodgers or Mahomes.  Sure, he's getting paid a lot but he's going to give you what you need.  Hurts is more Food Lion.  

4 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

If I was comparing grocery stores to QBs, Harris Teeter is pretty much Aaron Rodgers or Mahomes.  Sure, he's getting paid a lot but he's going to give you what you need.  Hurts is more Food Lion.  

Hurts is the Entenmanns Bakery Outlet. You want a grocery store that has groceries and serves its purpose for you to buy groceries. But you go to this cheap, niche store that just has pretty good bakery items so you have to talk yourself into being happy with that niche selection of groceries. 

30 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I think he meant the actions of the owner and GM selling their coaching candidates on Wentz being the QB to get someone to take the job. 

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You said the Eagles didn’t draft Pickett because they like Hurts.

Yup, they actually hate Hurts. In fact, they hate him so much, they traded for AJ Brown and then passed on drafting a qb who then went in the top 20. In fact, they hate Hurts so much that they started him last year and are going to start him this year. That is some next level amount of hatred they have for the guy. 

In reality, they know Pickett and Hurts are basically average or below average.

Right now Hurts is average. There's really not an argument here. No one is saying he is elite. But I think average is pretty good for his age, where he was drafted and the scouting reports coming out of college. So it is easy for me to see why the team would keep investing in him. 

You acted like it was an endorsement of Hurts.

It certainly wasn't an endorsement of Reagor.

So yeah, no one else is going to grasp your distorted view of the situation, because you’re an idiot.

My view of the situation is distorted? How so? Is Hurts not the starting qb? Did they not build a roster around him to give him the best chance to succeed? Did they not pass on drafting a qb two years in a row? How is my view distorted? 

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

My view of the situation is distorted? How so? Is Hurts not the starting qb? Did they not build a roster around him to give him the best chance to succeed? Did they not pass on drafting a qb two years in a row? How is my view distorted? 

They did pass on drafting a QB for the last 2 years except they were definitely willing to consider acquiring who they considered a better prospect (e.g. potentially trading up for Zach Wilson,  trying to trade for Watson and Russell Wilson); They are not going to take a QB that is a marginal prospect as was Pickett.  They did sign Strong who was probably a better prospect but for his health.  They added talent to the roster but I'm not sure that's the same thing as building it around Hurts's strength.  They improved the passing options because the NFL is a passing league.  They also added to the defensive and offensive lines.  I think that's their philosophical bent in terms of roster building.  What you failed to mention is they also acquired draft capital in the next 2 seasons.  If they were going all in this season, why not just take a player or trade up? My guess is that they believe that they will need the capital to invest in a top QB.  

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

They did pass on drafting a QB for the last 2 years except they were definitely willing to consider acquiring who they considered a better prospect (e.g. potentially trading up for Zach Wilson,  trying to trade for Watson and Russell Wilson); They are not going to take a QB that is a marginal prospect as was Pickett.  They did sign Strong who was probably a better prospect but for his health.  They added talent to the roster but I'm not sure that's the same thing as building it around Hurts's strength.  They improved the passing options because the NFL is a passing league.  They also added to the defensive and offensive lines.  I think that's their philosophical bent in terms of roster building.  What you failed to mention is they also acquired draft capital in the next 2 seasons.  If they were going all in this season, why not just take a player or trade up? My guess is that they believe that they will need the capital to invest in a top QB.  

That post you responded to was actually a good illustration of a distorted view.  It parrots the view from league reporters that the Eagles acquired Brown, drafted DeVonta Smith, extended Goedert, drafted Dickerson, extended Mailata, etc. .... built the offense around Hurts, when that's simply not the case.  All of those moves are in the interest of roster building -- regardless of who the QB is.

To assert that AJ Brown was acquired purely in the interest of Jalen Hurts is distorted.

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

That post you responded to was actually a good illustration of a distorted view.  It parrots the view from league reporters that the Eagles acquired Brown, drafted DeVonta Smith, extended Goedert, drafted Dickerson, extended Mailata, etc. .... built the offense around Hurts, when that's simply not the case.  All of those moves are in the interest of roster building -- regardless of who the QB is.

To assert that AJ Brown was acquired purely in the interest of Jalen Hurts is distorted.

He wasn't even the first choice. It would have been Ridley if homeboy didn't go balls deep on parlays. 

@jsb235 

The average of the top 32 QB's TD passes is 23.2.  Hurts threw 16, he is way below average.

The average of the top 32 QB's passing yards is 3580.  Hurts threw for 3144 yards, he is way below average.

32 minutes ago, downundermike said:

But I thought only the blog did not expect Hurts to make the leap this year

image.png.4ddcf3afa968dbb0a2d4340e1e92ab4a.png

There’s also a large space between "same as last year” and top 10…

6 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

crap, there was even like 19 QB's who started more games, so he can even be average on showing up

do passing completions next lol 

The average of the top 32 QB's completions is 324.72.  Hurts had 265, he is way below average.

25 minutes ago, downundermike said:

But I thought only the blog did not expect Hurts to make the leap this year

image.png.4ddcf3afa968dbb0a2d4340e1e92ab4a.png

I guess I could attribute the voting to hopefulness and optimism from the fan base, but 41% have expectations that Hurts will be a top 10 QB?  That's a real leap.

Brady, Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Wilson, Dak, Rodgers would objectively all be higher than where Hurts can get to this season.

Carr, Jackson, Ryan, Stafford, Cousins, Murray, Tannehill would also be guys Hurts needs to take a big step to get over.

If Hurts progresses (makes a large Year 3 jump) I could see an expectation for him to be top half, say 14th to 16th range.  I don't see top 10 at all.

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I guess I could attribute the voting to hopefulness and optimism from the fan base, but 41% have expectations that Hurts will be a top 10 QB?  That's a real leap.

The #10 in TD passes last year had 27, so Hurts would have to throw 11 more this year.

The #10 in passing yards last year had 4115, so Hurts would have to throw for 971 more yards this year.

The #10 in completion percentage was 67.2, so he would have to improve 6.1% this year.

11 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

There’s also a large space between "same as last year” and top 10…

lmao at that poll.  What are those options?

I guess the poll must indicating that Jalen Hurts was the 11th best QB last year.  Only options are Hurts can either stay the same, get worse or improve to a top 10 QB.  

3 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

lmao at that poll.  What are those options?

I guess the poll must indicating that Jalen Hurts was the 11th best QB last year.  Only options are Hurts can either stay the same, get worse or improve to a top 10 QB.  

So the guy who thinks Hurts will be in the MVP conversation has a problem with a poll only requiring him to get to the top 10 ????

Who else is poolside on a Tuesday?

Makes Hurts being the QB a little more tolerable 🤣

Cheers!

20220712_172405.jpg

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

The #10 in TD passes last year had 27, so Hurts would have to throw 11 more this year.

The #10 in passing yards last year had 4115, so Hurts would have to throw for 971 more yards this year.

The #10 in completion percentage was 67.2, so he would have to improve 6.1% this year.

27 TDs is a big ask for Hurts IMO, only reachable if Brown, Smith, and Goedert all stay healthy all year

I don't see 4,115 yards as possible because it would require a shift in Hurts' playing style to default to throwing rather than running

67.2 I don't see as attainable at all; I think the 61.3% from last year will be increased just a little -- I'm guessing 62.8% for 2022

People want to see this big leap coming in 2022 and I just don't think it's there.  I think Hurts is pretty much a finished product in what we saw last year, so I'm very much in the 53.3% crowd (even though I didn't cast a vote).   I think Hurts will be about the same as last season.  My predictions for his numbers could be as high as 62.8% completions, 22 TDs passing with 13 INT, yardage around 3,600.  I have doubts Hurts can play all 17 games because he runs to contact, but his youth might get him through 1-2 more years playing that style.  

There are very, very few players who can be an elite QB in the NFL.  Being a hard worker and a good leader and wanting something doesn't make it happen all on its own.  The talent has to be there as a building block.  Very few players have elite talent.

Ehhh not looking good for old Strong. Starting to think he’s a backup at best now. 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

@jsb235 

The average of the top 32 QB's TD passes is 23.2.  Hurts threw 16, he is way below average.

The average of the top 32 QB's passing yards is 3580.  Hurts threw for 3144 yards, he is way below average.

He had 26 total TDs last year. He averaged 262 total yards per game.

Just because you ignore stats doesn't mean that they don't exist.

I can't change your mind. But at least understand that when rational people evaluate Hurts, they do it much differently than you do. That's why he is considered to be an average quarterback by people who get paid to evaluate those kind of things. It's why he's the starting qb of the Eagles. It's why they are building around him and giving him every chance to succeed.

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

At best, it takes away an excuse for him.  I think Howie does try to put the best roster possible every season AJ Brown is a long-term move.  

8 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

He had 26 total TDs last year. He averaged 262 total yards per game.

Just because you ignore stats doesn't mean that they don't exist.

I can't change your mind. But at least understand that when rational people evaluate Hurts, they do it much differently than you do. That's why he is considered to be an average quarterback by people who get paid to evaluate those kind of things. It's why he's the starting qb of the Eagles. It's why they are building around him and giving him every chance to succeed.

And adding those stats means you add to the stats for all the other QB's, which does not really elevate Hurts up the list.

Archived