EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

11 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

If Minshew played all the games last year how do you think the Eagles would of done?

We for sure dont lose to the Giants

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like come on, what are we even doing here? Twitter was a mistake to give everyone a platform to say something stupid

Jessie Bates is refusing to report to camp, holding out.

Still don't think he comes here, but the Howie watch is on.

7 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

I think it's less likely now that Howie makes a trade seeing as they can't extend him since the deadline past today. They don't even have enough cap to take on his contract. 

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Why should we need him?  Eagles are built to win now.  Duh!

But we can be MORE BUILT!

9 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

The question is how long is that going to take. He doesnt have 5 more years to fix his flaws. He has to come out slinging it this year or he will likely be replaced next offseason. As a few have asked before, why are we trying to build around a guy who does not possess the freakish athleticism of Vick or Lamar nor the raw arm talent waiting to be developed like Mahomes or Allen? I just dont see the upside of what we're doing here but i'll be happy to eat crow if he proves me wrong. Ive been extremely critical of him all offseason but i'll be rooting for him to succeed come september 11th. I really hope he shuts me up, i've just been given no evidence that'll be the case. The only QB that people can reference in regards to Hurts taking a massive leap is Josh Allen but they always leave out that Allen is practically a unicorn at the position. Allen wouldnt be where he is today if he was 6'1 with same arm talent as Hurts. I dont understand how anyone can look past the traits side of things when comparing the two.

No disagreement here.  I view this preseason, not season mind you but preseason, as make or break for all 2020 draft choices, Hurts included. (Taylor, Wallace, Reagor, Hightower). As I said, I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

So wouldn't having OTA's and minicamps just aid to building muscle memory?  That's the point I've tried to make in my numerous posts about being frustrated with the lack of practice.  You and I have gone back and forth a few times regarding the benefits of them.

Everything you just quoted Dungy on could be done during mandatory minicamps and OTA's.  

Probably not.   Very limited practices, no pads. Frankly, I suspect Hurts gets more in the work in between WTH Brown and Smith.  Getting to know each other.  I know you won’t change your mind about OTAs and minicamps but I think you undervalue the Phase II part of the offseason.  What did the Eagles give up?  Less than 10 hour long practices and 10/10, which are a joke in shorts. 

4 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

No disagreement here.  I view this preseason, not season mind you but preseason, as make or break for all 2020 draft choices, Hurts included. (Taylor, Wallace, Reagor, Hightower). As I said, I have my doubts.

We'll be lucky if Hurts plays 2 series this preseason. 

43 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

If you are allowed to have faith a running back/strength and conditioning coach can be a MVP in this league, I'm allowed to have faith in a one kneed QB who showed the ability to sling the rock.

It's fine to say Hurts can be a legit MVP candidate and the next Josh Allen but if i say Strong was a more refined passer than Allen coming out of the mountain west and that he's Allen from the waist up, im delusional. Allen couldnt complete more than 56% of his passes or throw for 4k yards at Wyoming. Strong completed 70% back to back including 4k+ yards this past season on one leg. Back to back MW player of the year. The kid can play and he does not have the height, arm strength or mechanical deficiencies that Hurts does. He's not wearing the brace anymore and will be 18 months removed from his surgery when preseason starts so we shall see where his health/mobility is. From there who knows...

1 hour ago, NCiggles said:

I don't disagree with your take on Hurts.  OTOH, it looks to me like Stron is staring down this route.  He locks on to him and is waiting for him to break before making the throw.  He does nothing to move the safeties.  Also, where is Strong going to go? He's not able to scramble and make a play.  

My take on watching film on Strong was he does tend to stare down receivers. 

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

We'll be lucky if Hurts plays 2 series this preseason. 

PS games don’t matter.  Frankly, what we and the reporters see doesn’t either.  It’s a marked improvement.  Coaches see a lot the public doesn’t see, especially in the post Lehigh lockdown era.

7 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

It's fine to say Hurts can be a legit MVP candidate and the next Josh Allen but if i say Strong was a more refined passer than Allen coming out of the mountain west and that he's Allen from the waist up, im delusional. Allen couldnt complete more than 56% of his passes or throw for 4k yards at Wyoming. Strong completed 70% back to back including 4k+ yards this past season on one leg. Back to back MW player of the year. The kid can play and he does not have the height, arm strength or mechanical deficiencies that Hurts does. He's not wearing the brace anymore and will be 18 months removed from his surgery when preseason starts so we shall see where his health/mobility is. From there who knows...

Both Allen and Strong demonstrated as flawed coming out of college. (Same with Hurts.). But one of Strong’s flaws is physical that he may not be able to overcome.  

46 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Like come on, what are we even doing here? Twitter was a mistake to give everyone a platform to say something stupid

I for one am shocked… SHOCKED that Kenny Pickett isn’t on this top 5 list… 

18 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

But one of Strong’s flaws is physical that he may not be able to overcome.  

Which is part of the reason he went undrafted. I've seen reports saying he wont overcome it just like i've seen reports that he will be fine with time and rest. Only time will tell. I'd be much more concerned about it if he was a skill player or his game relied on athleticism but that's not the case. We have a top flight Oline and a plethora of weapons that will aid him should he ever get an opportunity to be the starter. He's not the statue many claim him to be when he doesnt have a brace on his knee. 

1 hour ago, Shalodeep said:

If you are allowed to have faith a running back/strength and conditioning coach can be a MVP in this league, I'm allowed to have faith in a one kneed QB who showed the ability to sling the rock.

Ones the starting QB, the other will be fighting to make the roster or practice squad. 

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

If Minshew played all the games last year how do you think the Eagles would of done?

If Sirianni was calling games like he was at the start of the year with no intent or desire to hand the ball off to a RB then it sure would have been an ugly season. 

So Roob graded the backups and while I am the biggest Ward fan on the Blog, his having Ward as #5 and Covey, Hightower or Allen as possible 6s with Reagor questionable to make the team is a bit off.  While I have pretty much given up on Reagor, this may be a bridge too far.

Wide receiver 

We’ll consider Quez Watkins a third starter along with DeVonta Smith and A.J. Brown since the Eagles (and everyone else) run so much three-wide.

But Zach Pascal – who had 150 catches and 15 TDs in four seasons with the Colts – gives the Eagles much-improved depth, and Greg Ward – with 88 catches and 10 TDs the last three years – is a decent slot.

Who knows where Jalen Reagor will fit in or if he’ll even be here. If the Eagles keep a sixth receiver it will likely be a young guy like Britain Covey, John Hightower or Devon Allen. 

Depth grade: B-plus.

Language not suitable for work. Love the Skip comment towards the end. 

15 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

Which is part of the reason he went undrafted. I've seen reports saying he wont overcome it just like i've seen reports that he will be fine with time and rest. Only time will tell. I'd be much more concerned about it if he was a skill player or his game relied on athleticism but that's not the case. We have a top flight Oline and a plethora of weapons that will aid him should he ever get an opportunity to be the starter. He's not the statue many claim him to be when he doesnt have a brace on his knee. 

Repair sounds worse than a micro fracture. That’s going to be bone on bone soon enough. 

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The one interesting tidbit of information I heard from RGIII was when they asked him why he thought Jackson hasn't negotiated an extension yet.  His reply was that Jackson is deliberately holding off until the last possible time in order to drive the contract value up to the maximum.  He says Jackson told him he "wants to be a billionaire".

Extremely risky strategy by the player.  If Jackson gets injured again this season, or his performance doesn't get back to near what it was during his MVP season, or the Ravens as a team flame out and miss the playoffs -- where is the Ravens motivation to give the mega extension after this season?  It'd be easier for them to simply walk away and draft a QB in April.

Jackson would get his extension somewhere, but it's doubtful he'll find a better situation than how BAL has tailored it's philosophy around him.

4 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Repair sounds worse than a micro fracture. That’s going to be bone on bone soon enough. 

Didnt they put cadaver cartilage in there? Im no doctor so im just taking a wait and see approach. If his knee is truly cooked then it's no big deal as he is an UDFA. But man if it's not, Howie might've struck gold. He's easily the most gifted/prototypical passer on the roster. That's all this offense really needs to be succcesful. Someone who can throw the ball to all parts of the field accurately & efficiently. 

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

What are the Bengals needs?  Did they ever fix their OL issues?  Could they dangle Dillard and some picks?  

25 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

If Sirianni was calling games like he was at the start of the year with no intent or desire to hand the ball off to a RB then it sure would have been an ugly season. 

The only reason they had to change the offense was because of Hurts...they wouldn't have had to make that change and run the ball.

Just now, bpac55 said:

The only reason they had to change the offense was because of Hurts...they wouldn't have had to make that change and run the ball.

That's delirious.  No offense in this league is going to be successful when they are as consistently pass heavy as the Eagles were.  You can't hand the ball off to your RBs only 2-3 times in the first half every game and expect your offense to be successful without anything resembling a balanced offense. 

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

That's delirious.  No offense in this league is going to be successful when they are as consistently pass heavy as the Eagles were.  You can't hand the ball off to your RBs only 2-3 times in the first half every game and expect your offense to be successful without anything resembling a balanced offense. 

Kansas City has been top 10 in pass percentage since Mahomes came into the league, seems to be working for them.

Archived