EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think it's less likely now that Howie makes a trade seeing as they can't extend him since the deadline past today. They don't even have enough cap to take on his contract. 

The cap is imaginary.  They just give him an extension with 19 voidable years.  

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NCiggles said:

The cap is imaginary.  They just give him an extension with 19 voidable years.  

"They can't extend him since the deadline past today"

He has to play under the tag now. There's no way in getting around it. 

11 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Dude, spare us the "watching film” BS.  Just yesterday you said we should put Jordan Davis at RB and have him run behind Mailata and Dickerson.   

You have no credibility.  

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

"They can't extend him since the deadline past today"

He has to play under the tag now. There's no way in getting around it. 

Howie makes his own rules. 

4 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

A doctorate degree, folks. 

Can do no wrong. 

And this man considered himself to be the Dr of Thugonomics

4e7a0-15547300905520.png

You can believe what you want, but it doesn't make it true.

25 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

They were pass heavy against Tampa in the playoffs and he was terrible.  Because Tampa knew how to shut our offense down.  

Force Hurts to pass.  

exactly

39 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

The only reason they had to change the offense was because of Hurts...they wouldn't have had to make that change and run the ball.

And the only reason the ball wasn't being handed off to the RBs was because Hurts kept pulling it out of their belly so he could run it himself.

12 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

They were pass heavy against Tampa in the playoffs and he was terrible.  Because Tampa knew how to shut our offense down.  

Force Hurts to pass.  

I don't think Bucs were stacking the box.  They dropped linemen into coverage at times and brought rushers from the secondary which confused Hurts.  I also think the Eagles could have gone with more of a power running attack take advantage of some these defenses.  

Ok?   What’s your point?  Just because it was run in college doesn’t mean you run it in the pros.  It would be pretty dumb to run a man that size up the back of the legs of your two young stud O lineman.  Maybe once.  But certainly not something you scheme for like the pillar suggested.  Lots of money on the line in the pros as compared to college.  

I think it's a viable goal line play given the lack of a power RB on the team.  He also lined up at times as an extra o-lineman on goal line.  I don't think Davis running the ball more likely to injure Mailata and Dickerson.  

If crap goes sideways with Hurts, he doesn’t progress and we move on, we might have an issue with an expensive unhappy WR1.  I love the player, don’t like the matching up and fit with Hurts as QB.  Buyer beware.  

He'll be fine once he starts catching passes from Carson Brown Strong lol. 

20220715_160811.jpg

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Again, you don't make it a practice to run a guy that big behind whoever the offensive line is.  It's not a wise practice.   

Not a fan of these ideas to put Davis or Mailata in the backfield. It just sounds like a knee injury waiting to happen. Defenders will no doubt go low on those two. Just not something i want to risk

I look at it this way, the buccaneers were not going to let the eagles run all over them and win the game that way. imo that was the only way the eagles could pull off that victory. So they were gonna take away your run game and attempt to confuse hurts when they forced the eagles into being pass heavy.

the eagles were very one dimensional to a path to victory against playoff teams and Bucs/Bowles knew it. Last year the eagles against teams like rams, Bucs type of SB contenders only had one path to victory: it was running the ball and controlling the game that way.  they weren’t going to win a game where they had to throw the ball around the yard against a good defense. The passing game wasn’t remotely close to good enough to do that. our defense wasn’t good enough to stop better offenses consistently to win a defensive slugfest. The one way the Eagles could pull off an upset was to be able to just run the ball down the Buccaneers throats and control the game. The Bucs, rams or any SB caliber team were never allowing the eagles to do such. 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I wish that's all it was, but todays athlete is different.  And there is something odd about AJ.  

Agreed. He also has a bit of a drop issue that hasnt been talked about much. When we first traded for him a salty Titans fan created a compilation of his drops and some of them were egregious. Wish i could find it. That's all good in Tennessee but it wont fly here, especially if he starts chirping on twitter. Hopefully he balls out and it's a non issue. 

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

So Roob graded the backups and while I am the biggest Ward fan on the Blog, his having Ward as #5 and Covey, Hightower or Allen as possible 6s with Reagor questionable to make the team is a bit off.  While I have pretty much given up on Reagor, this may be a bridge too far.

Wide receiver 

We’ll consider Quez Watkins a third starter along with DeVonta Smith and A.J. Brown since the Eagles (and everyone else) run so much three-wide.

But Zach Pascal – who had 150 catches and 15 TDs in four seasons with the Colts – gives the Eagles much-improved depth, and Greg Ward – with 88 catches and 10 TDs the last three years – is a decent slot.

Who knows where Jalen Reagor will fit in or if he’ll even be here. If the Eagles keep a sixth receiver it will likely be a young guy like Britain Covey, John Hightower or Devon Allen. 

Depth grade: B-plus.

Reagor as a high pick would get more considerations before they drop him.  His chance is not looking good though.  The RS contribution would be a factor for the 6th WR slot, IMHO.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I have no issue with the player.  Love him.  The close relationship with the starting QB who is more than likely going to be replaced is something to be concerned about.  

My hope is that he'll be fine with Hurts being replace if Hurts is holding him back on the field but you never know. Im not sure i've ever seen a best friend QB-WR duo in the NFL. Definitely something to pay attention to this season. 

12 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Hurts laid a turd. 

Fixed it for ya.

12 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

How do you know? he HAD to hand the ball off constantly because his qb couldnt read a defense, and couldnt make all the throws. 

MAYBE, NS offense would of worked just as good with backup Minshew cause he can read a defense. 

And again, Minshew would of won every game Hurts did AND probably the Giants game where Hurts laid an egg. 

How do I know? Because that's how professional football works.  No one passes the ball at that high of a rate and consistently wins doing so.  Tom Brady doesn't run offenses where the RB is handed the ball to run 2-3 times in the first half.  Patrick Mahomes doesn't run offenses where the RB is handed the ball 2-3 times in the first half.  

2 hours ago, NCiggles said:

Howie makes his own rules. 

Guess maybe I actually do watch college football.  Flying poop guy (who blamed that avatar on losing an avatar bet yet claimed earlier this season that he never lost an avatar bet) obviously knows more about college prospects.  His schtick is telling everyone how wrong they are without a bit of depth showing he knows much about line play (yet he and his crew ran off @justrelax who actually does know a ton about line play).  If he actually watched any Georgia ball, then he would know they put Davis in on offense on the goal line several times.  

If he actually watched Strong, he would know that one of his flaws was a tendency to stare down WRs.  Kind of reminds me in that aspect of Kevin Kolb. (Lot of differences between Kolb and Stong but they shared that flaw coming out of college.)  Not an unusual flaw for QBs coming out of college.  

53 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Holy F.  I know what he did in college.  I doubt there is many people in here that has seen as much SEC football over the past few years, as I have.  Again, you don't make it a practice to run a guy that big behind whoever the offensive line is.  It's not a wise practice.   

And I am not sure what your last sentence is even saying.  He's had motor questions....so I would limit the amount of snaps that you put him out on offense.   Since again, you drafted him to be the DT.  Not a gadget on offense.  

Look his primary job is to play d-line. He had questions about endurance not his motor on the field.  It's not like he's going to get 10 carries a game in the backfield.  He just has some versatility and it would be a hard play to defend him at the goal line. 

12 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Tom Brady doesn't run offenses where the RB is handed the ball to run 2-3 times in the first half

image.png.9651802b2c3f5ed910b23f7f18f05a31.png

14 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

How do I know? Because that's how professional football works.  No one passes the ball at that high of a rate and consistently wins doing so.  Tom Brady doesn't run offenses where the RB is handed the ball to run 2-3 times in the first half.  Patrick Mahomes doesn't run offenses where the RB is handed the ball 2-3 times in the first half.  

@Bacarty2 if you could find out which game our RB only had 2-3 carries in the first half.

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

image.png.9651802b2c3f5ed910b23f7f18f05a31.png

2020 was the same, they were 29th in rushing that year

1 hour ago, NCiggles said:

I don't think Bucs were stacking the box.  They dropped linemen into coverage at times and brought rushers from the secondary which confused Hurts.  I also think the Eagles could have gone with more of a power running attack take advantage of some these defenses.  

Not sure how they could have power run.  No Howard and Boobie was nursing that bad ankle.  Vea and Suh made running inside impossible.  White and David helped to seal with their speed and absolutely shut down the outside running.  The blitzing killed the Eagles with significant impact from the Ss and White and David.  They. played Hurts’ NFL worst trigger too.  

14 minutes ago, downundermike said:

@Bacarty2 if you could find out which game our RB only had 2-3 carries in the first half.

Guessing he means the first Cowboy game when the offense scored 0 first half points and the Cowboys were up by multiple scores. You know, the perfect scenario to run the ball. 

The highest the Eagles were in passing play % is 10th in 2021, that was on Oct 4th, and they stayed at 10th until Oct 18th, then it was downhill from there.  
 On November 22 they were 32nd, and they finished the season obviously at 32nd. 
 2nd pic is from 1/10/22. 

3B4A0E59-4189-40C2-BA00-FF9EEABF1C94.jpeg

162563D5-BB7D-4319-8630-A3D4E91A0C1E.jpeg

1 hour ago, NCiggles said:

I think it's a viable goal line play given the lack of a power RB on the team.  He also lined up at times as an extra o-lineman on goal line.  I don't think Davis running the ball more likely to injure Mailata and Dickerson.  

I never said make it a regular item. Hardly.  Georgia played Davis on occasion at TE.  (IIRC he caught a TD too.)  350 uber athlete makes sense. He is more athletic that Seumalo, a frequent sixth OL on the goal line before he became a starter..  He is faster than both Seumalo and Mailata. The other options are Dillard, Clark and Driscoll at #6 OL.  So why not an occasional installation of Davis.   I said in reaction to a tweet posted about seeing Mailata with the ball (an idea supported by Lane Johnson), imagine Davis behind Mailata and Dickerson.  I didn’t say do it all the time.  

Archived