EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

So who do you predict you will have to put on ignore after you run your mouth all week leading up to the game,  when the Eagles get boat raced in the 1st round of the playoffs because Hurts will look lost and confused. 

FYP

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Hurts didn't take the team anywhere, they went to the playoffs in spite of him.

I mean his ability as a runner helped them win games.  

35 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Muscle memory is hard to retrain.  Excellent chapter about Tony Dungy on that in the book The Power of Habit:

"Part of the problem was Dungy’s coaching philosophy. In his job interviews, he would patiently explain his belief that the key to winning was changing players habits. He wanted to get players to stop making so many decisions during a game, he said. He wanted them to react automatically, habitually. If he could instill the right habits, his team would win. Period.

"Champions don’t do extraordinary things,” Dungy would explain. "They do ordinary things, but they do them without thinking, too fast for the other team to react. They follow the habits they’ve learned.”

How, the owners would ask, are you going to create those new habits?

Oh no, he wasn’t going to create new habits, Dungy would answer. Players spent their lives building the habits that got them to the NFL. No athlete is going to abandon those patterns simply because some new coach says to.

So rather than creating new habits, Dungy was going to change players’ old ones. And the secret to changing old habits was using what was already insider players’ heads. Habits are a three-step loop -- the cure, the routine, and the reward -- but Dungy only wanted to attack the middle step, the routine. He knew from experience that it was easier to convince someone to adopt a new behavior if there was something familiar at the beginning and the end.”

https://productiveclub.com/the-habit-loop/

Now I think Hurts can break the crouch habit because he doesn’t always crouch. Look at that clip again.  His cue starts with the snap.  He can stand and catch the snap in the shotgun but he is stooped like he is under Center. No need to do so.  But the real problem is he stays crouched to often. Makes sense in high school when he probably ran more than he passed. He kept running in college.  But I can show you other clips where he stands tall.  Almost every throw in the middle of the field (few), he stands tall.  Stance also helps with consistency in foot mechanics and throwing mechanics.  I think it can be fixed. But it won’t be easy. 

So wouldn't having OTA's and minicamps just aid to building muscle memory?  That's the point I've tried to make in my numerous posts about being frustrated with the lack of practice.  You and I have gone back and forth a few times regarding the benefits of them.

Everything you just quoted Dungy on could be done during mandatory minicamps and OTA's.  

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

So who do you predict will boat race the eagles 1st round of the playoffs because Hurts will look lost and confused. 

I think if they can stay relatively healthy that the Eagles can make a run to the second round or NFC Championship Game. 

2 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

The question is how long is that going to take. He doesnt have 5 more years to fix his flaws. 

I don't think they can be fixed.  As another poster pointed out, he has always had this top notch work ethic.  So in 3 years at Alabama, 1 year at Oklahoma and 2 years in the NFL, with the supposed highest work ethic and will to succeed in the history of football, he still has not corrected these issues.

16 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The reality that Hurts is the starting QB and will very likely be taking this team back to the playoffs for the second consecutive year. 

Mea while this blog was convinced the Eagles would be drafting a QB in the first and have now moved onto the delusion that an undrafted free agent QB is the QB of the future. 

Hurts got us to the playoffs??? When he was asked to play QB, he lost almost every game. This team dragged his ass over the finish line. 

Public service of the day:

Stop buying the garbage grocery store Ramen. Go find an Asian market near you (every decent-sized city has multiple), and get a Thai brand or Vietnamese brand Ramen. It’ll blow your mind, and isn’t much more expensive. It’s unbelievable the difference

ZR3sDtf.jpg

3 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:
DeVonta is open waiting to catch a TD while Hurts is running in circles in a clean pocket. The throw would've required some anticipation from Hurts but we know he doesnt do that very well. Dont mind Vincent, he's being facetious.

20220715_090853.jpg.ca069d4d038356a9aacfb89844a3d730.jpg

Here's our UDFA in a similar situation but instead of panicking for no reason, he anticipates his receiver coming open and delivers a strike. The things we want to see from our 3rd year hard working 2nd round pick, our rookie UDFA was already doing as a sophomore in college. 

I don't disagree with your take on Hurts.  OTOH, it looks to me like Stron is staring down this route.  He locks on to him and is waiting for him to break before making the throw.  He does nothing to move the safeties.  Also, where is Strong going to go? He's not able to scramble and make a play.  

10 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The reality that Hurts is the starting QB and will very likely be taking this team back to the playoffs for the second consecutive year. 

Mea while this blog was convinced the Eagles would be drafting a QB in the first and have now moved onto the delusion that an undrafted free agent QB is the QB of the future. 

I havent seen anyone deny that Hurts will be the starting QB THIS season. We'll see if he takes them to the playoffs. He got 4 freebies vs teams led by Garrett Gilbert, Trevor Siemian, Taylor Heinicke & Mike Glennon and still only mustered 8 wins. That likely wont be the case this year. Call it what you want but i dont think it's any more delusional to think Strong is the future than it is to think Hurts is. Neither are ideal candidates. One just does the most important part of being a QB much better than the other. I dont think we will make the playoffs if they ask Hurts to pass the ball 30+ times for the entirety of the season. If they go back to running 40+ times a game, then sure we might sneak in at 9-8/10-7 and get our doors blown off again but i dont think any of us here want that except you.

12 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I don't think they can be fixed.  As another poster pointed out, he has always had this top notch work ethic.  So in 3 years at Alabama, 1 year at Oklahoma and 2 years in the NFL, with the supposed highest work ethic and will to succeed in the history of football, he still has not corrected these issues.

Lol Josh Allen did it so why cant Hurts. In all seriousness, that is why i cant get on the Hurts train. This isnt like Josh Allen coming from Wyoming where none of the guys he was throwing to are even in the league and he's likely not getting the best coaching. Hurts is a guy who threw passes to 8 different 1st round pass catchers throughout his college career behind god knows how many day 1/2 offensive line prospects. Lincoln Riley is suppose to be the QB whisperer and he wasnt able to fix all of Hurts deficiencies. I dont even have to talk about the clear difference in traits between Allen and Hurts. But im suppose to believe Hurts is going to completely change his game over one offseason because we got AJB when he's been throwing to AJB caliber receivers since his freshman year in college? Im gonna have to see it to believe it.

12 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

I havent seen anyone deny that Hurts will be the starting QB THIS season. We'll see if he takes them to the playoffs. He got 4 freebies vs teams led by Garrett Gilbert, Trevor Siemian, Taylor Heinicke & Mike Glennon and still only mustered 8 wins. That likely wont be the case this year. Call it what you want but i dont think it's any more delusional to think Strong is the future than it is to think Hurts is. Neither are ideal candidates. One just does the most important part of being a QB much better than the other. I dont think we will make the playoffs if they ask Hurts to pass the ball 30+ times for the entirety of the season. If they go back to running 40+ times a game, then sure we might sneak in at 9-8/10-7 and get our doors blown off again but i dont think any of us here want that except you.

It's beyond delusional to think Carson Strong is the future.  If Hurts does not take a big enough step forward this season to solidify himself as the QB going forward for this franchise then the Eagles aren't going to look to undrafted free agent Carson Strong as the future.  No this is a team built to win now.  They are going to try to trade for a veteran QB in that scenario.  If they can't get one then they will look to target one in the first round of the draft and trade up for that QB.  Carson Strong at no point comes into consideration as the QB of the future for this team. 

19 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Clearly. Who cares how they perform duties in the position they are designated as if they can put up yards and TD's. 

Can they put up yards and TDs while the outcome of the game is still in doubt? AKA not in garbage time.

25 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Hurts got us to the playoffs??? When he was asked to play QB, he lost almost every game. This team dragged his ass over the finish line. 

Yes, the ultra talented juggernaut 2021 Eagles roster dragged themselves to the playoffs with no contributions from Hurts. 

The delusion is off the charts here. 

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

It's beyond delusional to think Carson Strong is the future.  If Hurts does not take a big enough step forward this season to solidify himself as the QB going forward for this franchise then the Eagles aren't going to look to undrafted free agent Carson Strong as the future.  No this is a team built to win now.  They are going to try to trade for a veteran QB in that scenario.  If they can't get one then they will look to target one in the first round of the draft and trade up for that QB.  Carson Strong at no point comes into consideration as the QB of the future for this team. 

You keep saying this, but that is false.  The team has multiple starters on 1 year deals, will possibly have an entirely new secondary to start the 2024 season, and will lose Cox, Kelce, Hargrave and possibly Graham after this season, and who knows how long Lane is going to play for.

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Yes, the ultra talented juggernaut 2021 Eagles roster dragged themselves to the playoffs with no contributions from Hurts. 

The delusion is off the charts here. 

Two all pro lineman, two young lineman who look to be be able to make at least pro bowl, a top 5 tight end, a Heisman trophy winning wide receiver . ... Hurts may be the 8th or 9th best offensive player .... Not a good sign 

3 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Two all pro lineman, two young lineman who look to be be able to make at least pro bowl, a top 5 tight end, a Heisman trophy winning wide receiver . ... Hurts may be the 8th or 9th best offensive player .... Not a good sign 

I also said he failed as a QB. Decent running back though. Nice wildcat option

15 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I don't disagree with your take on Hurts.  OTOH, it looks to me like Stron is staring down this route.  He locks on to him and is waiting for him to break before making the throw.  He does nothing to move the safeties.  Also, where is Strong going to go? He's not able to scramble and make a play.  

Even if he is staring him down, he still identifies where the ball needs to go, anticipates his WR coming open and delivers it with velocity. Hurts could've locked onto DeVonta in the clip i showed and delivered the ball and it's a TD. Instead he just runs in circles for no reason. Staring down receivers was one of the knocks on Strong so you arent wrong about your assessment but learning to move the safeties with your eyes can be taught. Strong's height and arm strength cannot. That clip was also from 2020 when he was a sophomore and he got better at not staring down his receivers in 2021. Strong's inability to scramble and make a play has made him a better QB. He cant rely on his legs as a crutch. He has to make the right reads and throw guys open and for the most part he did that all throughout his college career.

10 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

If you are allowed to have faith a running back/strength and conditioning coach can be a MVP in this league, I'm allowed to have faith in a one kneed QB who showed the ability to sling the rock.

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Do you actually hate the man? This isn’t a post of someone critical of his football skills, you’re bashing who he is

No, I'm making fun of people that say asinine things about him that never even talk about football skills because it's always some sort of over the top praise of an intangible because that's all they have. 

People that think he serves crawfish means he's the future. Having a doctorate degree in blocking out negative noise. Hardest working player ever in the history of the sport that has at least 2,000 professional athletes every year with most also working their ass off everyday but somehow this is a Hurts specific praise. It's all over the top nonsense. 

If Hurts is as bad as this place has been saying over and over and over again, every -5 seconds for months, this Carson Strong should have the job locked up in two months amirite?

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No.  You're not right.  It means that we will be looking to upgrade the next offseason, like many of us have been saying.  Oh and what does negative 5 seconds mean?

Sorry was supposed to be .5 seconds 

22 minutes ago, downundermike said:

You keep saying this, but that is false.  The team has multiple starters on 1 year deals, will possibly have an entirely new secondary to start the 2024 season, and will lose Cox, Kelce, Hargrave and possibly Graham after this season, and who knows how long Lane is going to play for.

The team is absolutely built to win now. I think you made a better case for it than against it.

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

A doctorate degree, folks. 

Can do no wrong. 

It's a good job he's not on here, he'd have most of the Blog on ignore. :lol:

Unless of course......he already is.......and he already does. 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

@LeanMeanGM Since you're doing the seasons predictions, here is mine.  I am not waiting to see any pre-season games, since there won't be ish to see.  Slight improvement over last year, because the team is better.  But they won't be playing covid riddled teams down the stretch to back into the postseason.  

Week 1- @ Detroit WIN

Week 2- Minny WIN

Week 3- @Wash LOSS

Week 4- Jax WIN

Week 5- @ Arizona LOSS

Week 6- F Dallas WIN

Week 7- BYE

Week 8- Steelers WIN

Week 9- @Houston WIN

Week 10- WASH WIN

Week 11- @ INDY LOSS

Week 12- GB LOSS