OFFICIAL 2023 1st Rd Draft Pick Tracker Thread

time2rock

5 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Remember, it’s perfectly fine if a team is drafting ahead of us who’s most certainly taking a QB. Houston, Carolina, Indy…

Chicago is the scary one. They’re currently sitting at 2 and the 2 dlineman seem like ideal Bears. I’m rooting for them to win just as much as NO to lose

So throw the bears game? 👀

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

So throw the bears game? 👀

a shame we can’t flip bears saints weeks. would be perfect. 

• Like 2

Before SNF.  Arizona losing tomorrow shouldn't change this week's status.

Denver plays Arizona and at LAR the next two weeks.  They have been eliminated from the playoffs.  It would be really helpful if they started to mail it in and lose out.

image.png.a04bc2d153482b005ffd3898dc5de3cd.png

• Like 1

I posted this prior to this weekend's games:

Rooting guide for the weekend:

• The Rams to beat the Raiders   ✔️
  • The Broncos to beat the Chiefs
  • The Panthers to beat the Seahawks. ✔️
  • The Jaguars to beat the Titans. ✔️
  • The Texans to beat the Cowboys
  • The Lions to beat the Vikings. ✔️
  • The Steelers to beat the Ravens
  • The Browns to beat the Bengals
  • The Buccaneers to beat the 49ers
  • The Chargers to beat the Dolphins. ✔️

The Rams, Panthers, Jaguars, Lions, and Chargers all cooperated.  

If the games ended at 59:20 the Texans would have too.  <_<

Need the Cardinals to beat the Patriots tonight.  

• Thanks 2

Was discussing with someone earlier and curious to get other thoughts.  Say the Eagles win against the Bears and Cowboys and clinch home field-do you rest the starters against the Saints and risk falling in draft position with a loss or play them?  Granted, a lot can happen in the next couple of games regarding draft position because there are so many 4-9 or 5-8 teams.   What say you?

9 minutes ago, psychodog said:

Was discussing with someone earlier and curious to get other thoughts.  Say the Eagles win against the Bears and Cowboys and clinch home field-do you rest the starters against the Saints and risk falling in draft position with a loss or play them?  Granted, a lot can happen in the next couple of games regarding draft position because there are so many 4-9 or 5-8 teams.   What say you?

No, I play the starters for 2 reasons:  1) you don't want too long a layoff so they get rusty and 2) want the best possible draft position with that pick.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

No, I play the starters for 2 reasons:  1) you don't want too long a layoff so they get rusty and 2) want the best possible draft position with that pick.  

Yeah, if they lock the 1 seed you can't have the starters go a month without playing resting them against the Saints and Giants with a BYE. I'm guessing a half for both games?

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 4:11 PM, Diehardfan said:

Yeah, if they lock the 1 seed you can't have the starters go a month without playing resting them against the Saints and Giants with a BYE. I'm guessing a half for both games?

Shoot man I'd be tempted to play them the entire NO game (unless they get a big lead early and can rest starters later in the game like they did these last 2 games) and then for the first half of the Giants game.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

I was actually thinking the same thing 

• Like 1

Once the Saints are safely defeated, you can count on generous substitution taking place.

Re; Giants on week 18; if "tanking" causes Dallas to miss out on qualifying for the playoffs, bring up a few practice squad players and see what we have.

No help from the Cardinals last night – they’re now tied with NO with 4-9 records.  However, since they have a greater SOS NO remains ahead of them in the current draft order (they are still at #5).  Post #1 updated.

image.png.986b550086029b80702c0e27d30fb37b.png

Of the other teams with the same or worse records, only the Rams managed a win (which ties them with NO and AZ at 4-9).  It may not have pushed them past NO in the draft order however it does set them up to do so should they manage another win this week (and NO loses to Atlanta), which would move NO up to 4.  That is the best we can hope for since we don't want Chicago to win and a Denver win would leave them ahead in the order based on SOS (but they are playing AZ and it is best if AZ wins).  

So for this upcoming weekend root for the Rams to beat the Packers and the Cardinals to beat the Broncos.  And to create a bit of separation between NO and teams close to them in the draft order, it would help for the Colts to beat the Vikings and the Jaguars to beat the Cowboys (both of those would obviously help for multiple reasons). 

35 minutes ago, Cheesteakitis said:

nfl.com has the saints pick at #4 in their most recent article 

I saw that too. I trust Tankathon more than that article. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

I saw that too. I trust Tankathon more than that article. 

They’re both technically correct;

NFL.com has the draft order tiebreakers decided by strength of schedule of games played thus far. So if the nfl ended today, NFL.com’s draft order is right.

Tankathon is using the hypothetical strength of schedule of all games played already, as well as games not yet played.

So For Tankathon, Saints have some hard games coming up, such as 12-1 Philadelphia, pushing their SoS higher than LAR. NFL.com says that hasn’t happened yet, this is what the draft order is right here, right now.

Tankathon is slightly more accurate, as they will have to play us so we will inevitably factor into it, but there’s no assurance us or any of their other opponents will have as good a winning% as we do currently. And the difference between LAR and NOS is very thin. So that one jumps around a little more than NFL.com’s due to encompassing more variables

• Like 5

Obviously, we need the Saints to lose out. They always screw us when it comes to the draft, so I'm not sure we'll be that lucky.

-It does help the Cardinals and Broncos play this week, then the Broncos play the Rams the following week.

-The Bears could likely lose the next four the way the Lions are playing.

If the Saints win the good news is quite a few of the 5 win teams play others in the top 10 of the draft

-The Colts may only beat the Texans, but the Giants are falling apart, so maybe they get two.

-Carolina plays Pitt and the Saints

-Packers play the Rams

-Falcons play the Saints and Cardinals

-Jags should at least beat the Texans

-Browns play the Saints and Steelers so someone will get a win (hopefully)

-Bad news is the Raiders are probably losing the next 4

If they lose out I could see the Eagles picking 4

If they win one maybe around 10 worst case

1 hour ago, Diehardfan said:

Obviously, we need the Saints to lose out. They always screw us when it comes to the draft, so I'm not sure we'll be that lucky.

-It does help the Cardinals and Broncos play this week, then the Broncos play the Rams the following week.

-The Bears could likely lose the next four the way the Lions are playing.

If the Saints win the good news is quite a few of the 5 win teams play others in the top 10 of the draft

-The Colts may only beat the Texans, but the Giants are falling apart, so maybe they get two.

-Carolina plays Pitt and the Saints

-Packers play the Rams

-Falcons play the Saints and Cardinals

-Jags should at least beat the Texans

-Browns play the Saints and Steelers so someone will get a win (hopefully)

-Bad news is the Raiders are probably losing the next 4

If they lose out I could see the Eagles picking 4

If they win one maybe around 10 worst case

Ultimately I feel like Howie is going to trade down regardless of the pick. It’s really something to consider here. Is it better to trade down to acquire more 1sts since we are going to have to pay Jalen or take the biggest talent at that spot? Kind of feel like Howie thinks quantity over assumed quality.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Ultimately I feel like Howie is going to trade down regardless of the pick. It’s really something to consider here. Is it better to trade down to acquire more 1sts since we are going to have to pay Jalen or take the biggest talent at that spot? Kind of feel like Howie thinks quantity over assumed quality.

I'd be happy with that. It would be hard to pass on Anderson or Carter.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

I'd be happy with that. It would be hard to pass on Anderson or Carter.

I don’t see Howie moving up to get someone, but he could take a can’t miss guy, but we have seen him the last couple of years sacrifice that talent for the picks. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t see Howie moving up to get someone, but he could take a can’t miss guy, but we have seen him the last couple of years sacrifice that talent for the picks. 

That would be smart. I hope they pick high enough to have the option of taking a generational talent or trading back and allowing them to build a young team for years to come.

On 12/13/2022 at 1:49 PM, EazyEaglez said:

He traded picks for talent the past few years (trading multiple picks to move up for David, trading multiple picks including a 1st for Brown, trading multiple picks to move up for DeVonta).  

30 minutes ago, time2rock said:

He traded picks for talent then past few years (trading multiple picks to move up for David, trading multiple picks including a 1st for Brown, trading multiple picks to move up for DeVonta).  

True he’s gone both ways, but his first move seems to be trading down to acquire more picks. Heck if he can find a way to flip the Eagles actual first into a future one that would better. I wouldn’t be surprised if Howie were able to do it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

True he’s gone both ways, but his first move seems to be trading down to acquire more picks. Heck if he can find a way to flip the Eagles actual first into a future one that would better. I wouldn’t be surprised if Howie were able to do it. 

No doubt that would be the way to go.  Get a premium player with the NO pick and trade our own 1 for a 2023 2 and 2024 1 (similar to the deal we made with Baltimore in 2018).  Maybe he’d even get a mid round pick too since we currently have none in rounds 4-6.  I know he is going to have a major itch to add picks in those rounds.  Hate to see a really good player at a position of need drop to us in say the 2nd or 3rd and we pass on him only because we want more picks later.