Quez Watkins

bigdog54

7 hours ago, nipples said:

I mean DeVonta finished 8th in yards and 9th in receptions among all wide receivers. Would take an epic fool to suggest that he’s not a #1 caliber receiver. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Couldn't agree more. Despite having a WR on the team ahead of him who put up like 1500 yards, a RB who had a 1000 yard year and a TE who would have likely had 1000 yards if it wasn't for his injury he still got over 1100 yards. That's so impressive. 

Agreed. We have two genuine number 1 WRs. 

Watkins was a 6th rounder. He’s done well but there was a reason he’s a sixth rounder. He’s ideally a number 4 used in certain packages.

• Like 3

If I was calling the plays I would keep Quez Watkins on fly/streak/go routes utilizing his speed and even if Jalen Hurts doesn't throw to him it forces the defense to send at least one fast defensive back on him if not two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Watkins was a 6th rounder. He’s done well but there was a reason he’s a sixth rounder. He’s ideally a number 4 used in certain packages.

How many games did Goedert miss, but he still never came close to his production? He’s just not was good as we needed him to be.

6 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Agreed. I'd like them to use Pascal a little more too as I think he's done OK when given the opportunities. 

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. I'd like them to use Pascal a little more too as I think he's done OK when given the opportunities. 

Last year, Watkins was the 2nd best WR on the team. We added AJ Brown and now Watkins is the 3rd best. He has fewer opportunities as the WR3 and is being used more like the Eagles used Reagor last season. 

You can't really blame Quez for a play like this:

One defender just blew up that play. Watkins has made his fair share of mistakes this season and he needs to learn from them and put them behind him. But his total production being lower is not a huge surprise. He's also had impacts like this (the bottom one) that won't be on the stats:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Last year, Watkins was the 2nd best WR on the team. We added AJ Brown and now Watkins is the 3rd best. He has fewer opportunities as the WR3 and is being used more like the Eagles used Reagor last season. 

You can't really blame Quez for a play like this:

One defender just blew up that play. Watkins has made his fair share of mistakes this season and he needs to learn from them and put them behind him. But his total production being lower is not a huge surprise. He's also had impacts like this (the bottom one) that won't be on the stats:

Yep.  Quez is fine:  Solid #3 imo and still developing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

Yep.  Quez is fine:  Solid #3 imo and still developing. 

I wouldn’t go as far as to say Quez is fine. He could use some improvement. His one attempted throw against the Saints he didn’t come back to the bal and help his quarterback out. He stopped running and the defender almost made another interception. Stopping and starting kills all that speed. He’s also way too shy around contact. I was watching earlier games from this year and when he played KR. There were multiple times where he just stopped running and got tackled inside the 25. He negates his own speed with his obsession with stopping. I was hoping Sirianni the WR guru could have coached this out of him by now, but he’s still the best WR taken by the Eagles in that draft. I don’t know if he’s shown enough to give an extension to though. 

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

But his total production being lower is not a huge surprise. He's also had impacts like this (the bottom one) that won't be on the stats:

But I'm not really talking about total production here. Of course his production was going to go down by adding Brown. And no it's not his fault that the coaches seem to almost want to use him by force. But he's made mistakes and I don't think he's as good as the opportunities he's been given this year. Doesn't mean he can't be a decent WR3/4 though. And let's not forget he was a 6th round pick.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But I'm not really talking about total production here. Of course his production was going to go down by adding Brown. And no it's not his fault that the coaches seem to almost want to use him by force. But he's made mistakes and I don't think he's as good as the opportunities he's been given this year. Doesn't mean he can't be a decent WR3/4 though. And let's not forget he was a 6th round pick.

I don’t even buy into this production was down because they added Brown so that’s why he’s bad nonsense. If he were a better player he’d get more touches period. Heck the talent improved around Smith and he caught over 30 more passes. Goedert missed multiple games giving him the opportunity to pick up the slack, but he didn’t. He’s got one more year to prove he deserves an extension. So far I don’t see an irreplaceable 3rd WR. I’d take Jason Avant over him as a slot WR and it’s not even close. 

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t even buy into this production was down because they added Brown so that’s why he’s bad nonsense. If he were a better player he’d get more touches period. Heck the talent improved around Smith and he caught over 30 more passes. Goedert missed multiple games giving him the opportunity to pick up the slack, but he didn’t. He’s got one more year to prove he deserves an extension. So far I don’t see an irreplaceable 3rd WR. I’d take Jason Avant over him as a slot WR and it’s not even close. 

The addition of Brown altered Watkins' role in the offense. He is more suited for the role he had last year than his role this year. Maybe he'll be a little more comfortable with the role next year. A lot will depend on how much work he puts in before 2023. He's had some opportunities this year that were within his control and has made mistakes. There have also been a few plays that didn't work because of team execution or defensive plays where he has been blamed for the result. 

I think we all agree that his individual production is disappointing. However the addition of Brown helped open things up for Smith who is a much more complete WR than Watkins, which is why his production went way up. 

We had 536 pass attempts this year compared to 494 last season. That means there were 42 more passes thrown. 

Last year our top 4 pass catchers were:

Smith (64-916-5)

Goedert (56-830-4)

Watkins (43-647-1)

Gainwell (33-253-1)

This year they are:

Smith: (95-1196-7)

Brown (88-1496-11)

Goedert (55-702-3)

Watkins (33-354-3)

So in the list (top 4 receivers on team), each slot showed improvement from last year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

The addition of Brown altered Watkins' role in the offense. He is more suited for the role he had last year than his role this year. Maybe he'll be a little more comfortable with the role next year. A lot will depend on how much work he puts in before 2023. He's had some opportunities this year that were within his control and has made mistakes. There have also been a few plays that didn't work because of team execution or defensive plays where he has been blamed for the result. 

I think we all agree that his individual production is disappointing. However the addition of Brown helped open things up for Smith who is a much more complete WR than Watkins, which is why his production went way up. 

We had 536 pass attempts this year compared to 494 last season. That means there were 42 more passes thrown. 

Last year our top 4 pass catchers were:

Smith (64-916-5)

Goedert (56-830-4)

Watkins (43-647-1)

Gainwell (33-253-1)

This year they are:

Smith: (95-1196-7)

Brown (88-1496-11)

Goedert (55-702-3)

Watkins (33-354-3)

So in the list (top 4 receivers on team), each slot showed improvement from last year. 

You misunderstood what I meant. I’m stating Goedert wasn’t even playing because he missed multiple games yet Watkins still wasn’t as impactful.  Goedert looks like he was on his way to a monster season if he didn’t get Hurt. Watkins needs to produce more than the numbers of a backup running back who barely plays and was a rookie last year if he wants to continue to be the starting slot receiver. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

You misunderstood what I meant. I’m stating Goedert wasn’t even playing because he missed multiple games yet Watkins still wasn’t as impactful.  Goedert looks like he was on his way to a monster season if he didn’t get Hurt. Watkins needs to produce more than the numbers of a backup running back who barely plays and was a rookie last year if he wants to continue to be the starting slot receiver. 

I understood what you said but am offering a different perspective. Goedert is a TE1 and one of the better ones in the NFL. Watkins is not that level of a player at this point. When Goedert wasn't playing, defenses likely found it easier to account for Watkins in coverage. 

11 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I understood what you said but am offering a different perspective. Goedert is a TE1 and one of the better ones in the NFL. Watkins is not that level of a player at this point. When Goedert wasn't playing, defenses likely found it easier to account for Watkins in coverage. 

Overall I don’t think he’s played well enough. I get you like to be the guy who defends the mediocre (or worse) player and make his case, but I’m not that guy. Again I don’t dislike Watkins, but he was not good enough this year. We need more from him moving forward or the Eagles will be moving forward without him. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Overall I don’t think he’s played well enough. I get you like to be the guy who defends the mediocre (or worse) player and make his case, but I’m not that guy. Again I don’t dislike Watkins, but he was not good enough this year. We need more from him moving forward or the Eagles will be moving forward without him. 

I don't think it's as close as you think (to happening). They kept JJAW for 3 seasons. 

As fans, we see things in terms of position (WR1, WR2, WR3, TE1, etc...). The Eagles offense isn't a traditional offense and they see each player out there as a weapon and find ways to get them the ball. 

6 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I don't think it's as close as you think (to happening). They kept JJAW for 3 seasons. 

As fans, we see things in terms of position (WR1, WR2, WR3, TE1, etc...). The Eagles offense isn't a traditional offense and they see each player out there as a weapon and find ways to get them the ball. 

He has one final year on his deal. He’s not going anywhere yet, but if he’s not producing then I don’t think he’s getting an extension. You can tell the signs hen things aren’t quite right and that the Eagles trying to find other ways to get a player the ball. You saw it with Reagor and now you see it with Watkins. They’re trying returns and sweeps. They aren’t getting the results they want from it though and that why he was demoted from the KR job and his sweeps never amounted to anything. He’s a fast player who’s speed goes nowhere. You really think they’re going to extend him if he plays like this next year? 

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

He has one final year on his deal. He’s not going anywhere yet, but if he’s not producing then I don’t think he’s getting an extension. You can tell the signs hen things aren’t quite right and that the Eagles trying to find other ways to get a player the ball. You saw it with Reagor and now you see it with Watkins. They’re trying returns and sweeps. They aren’t getting the results they want from it though and that why he was demoted from the KR job and his sweeps never amounted to anything. He’s a fast player who’s speed goes nowhere. You really think they’re going to extend him if he plays like this next year? 

I think the "Reagor plays" are part of the problem. They are almost always poorly executed and give the receiver no chance to do anything. Reagor was supposed to be a guy you get the ball to in space. I don't think Watkins is that type of guy. I know the Eagles kind of shifted Watkins to the slot with the arrival of Brown, but that's probably not a great fit for him. I do believe he adds quality depth as an outside receiver and could eventually become a good WR2. As long as we have Brown and Smith, that is unlikely to happen here. 

I don't think we've seen the best of Watkins this season. It would be nice to see him break out in the postseason and have that to build on heading into next season. Regardless, he does need to work hard on the little things if he's going to expand his role next season. I'm certain that if he tries, there are things he can learn from Brown and Smith to improve his game. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I think the "Reagor plays" are part of the problem. They are almost always poorly executed and give the receiver no chance to do anything. Reagor was supposed to be a guy you get the ball to in space. I don't think Watkins is that type of guy. I know the Eagles kind of shifted Watkins to the slot with the arrival of Brown, but that's probably not a great fit for him. I do believe he adds quality depth as an outside receiver and could eventually become a good WR2. As long as we have Brown and Smith, that is unlikely to happen here. 

I don't think we've seen the best of Watkins this season. It would be nice to see him break out in the postseason and have that to build on heading into next season. Regardless, he does need to work hard on the little things if he's going to expand his role next season. I'm certain that if he tries, there are things he can learn from Brown and Smith to improve his game. 

It would be nice to see him learn how to operate in space. He negates his own asset with how he plays. The only time he’s truly effective is when he streaking downfield, because when he route runs he doesn’t fun crisp routes, often stops instead of continuing to move and he’s not elusive. I think he needs to bulk up some too. I’d like to see him take the next step, because I am rooting for him believe it or not. Hopefully he can turn the page, but there’s a lot of work he needs. To get done in the off-season. Like Hurts went to a QB guru, I think he needs to go to someone that will help him with his route running. He’s already with an advantage in most cases because he plays out the slot often. Many if he ran route like Smith he could be close to unstoppable. 

16 hours ago, brkmsn said:

This. 

On 1/9/2023 at 12:16 PM, nipples said:

I mean DeVonta finished 8th in yards and 9th in receptions among all wide receivers. Would take an epic fool to suggest that he’s not a #1 caliber receiver. 

Hold up, if Smith was a #1 receiver, why would the Eagles spend $100 million on a #1 receiver (AJ Brown)?

44 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Hold up, if Smith was a #1 receiver, why would the Eagles spend $100 million on a #1 receiver (AJ Brown)?

Offense is even better with two #1's. Which is what we currently have.

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

There are (at least) 2 WRs on the field on pretty much every play... having two top-32 WRs is better than having one, and one of them is still on a rookie contract for two more years. This is a pretty dumb question, honestly. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nipples said:

There are (at least) 2 WRs on the field on pretty much every play... having two top-32 WRs is better than having one, and one of them is still on a rookie contract for two more years. This is a pretty dumb question, honestly. 

Good no-reply

The reason they dished out 100 mil for a #1 is because they saw that Smith was neither big, strong or fastest enough to get separation from the #1 corners.

Granted he's improved because of experience but mostly because he's not drawing the #1 corner. 

What it comes down to is that (like others have said), Quez's skillset favor him being primarily an "outside" WR.  He's still learning, developing his NFL game.  And switching over from the outside (last season) to primarily the slot (this season) isn't an "easy" switch for most developing WR's, especially a WR who most teams thought of somewhat as a "project but high ceiling" type of WR coming out of college. 

I think it's a "work in progress" for not only him but for his coaches, Qb's etc as well.  Eventually, if he continues to develop, he may end up being primarily "an outside" guy that can work inside as well.  

But either way, it's much too soon to write him off - especially after only (maybe 2-3 "bad games") in a 3 year career?  He's had many more "good games", given the limited opportunities he's had.

55 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Good no-reply

The reason they dished out 100 mil for a #1 is because they saw that Smith was neither big, strong or fastest enough to get separation from the #1 corners.

Granted he's improved because of experience but mostly because he's not drawing the #1 corner. 

First of all he has been drawing the #1 corner. Just not on EVERY play. That’s the luxury when you have 2 #1s. 

2ndly being big and fast doesn’t mean NEARLY as much as being the best route runner on the team, which he certainly is. He gets separation on all kinds of routes vs all kinds of corners playing all types of coverages. If Quez were to be something more just a guy that can run straight really fast, then maybe it would make some kind of sense for him to get more looks. 

unfortunately he hasn’t shown to be capable of that. Maybe he’ll show he can be counted on more soon. But so far, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason for him to get more looks than smith, AJ, or Goedert. 

2 minutes ago, The Holy Vagabond said:

First of all he has been drawing the #1 corner. Just not on EVERY play. That’s the luxury when you have 2 #1s. 

2ndly being big and fast doesn’t mean NEARLY as much as being the best route runner on the team, which he certainly is. He gets separation on all kinds of routes vs all kinds of corners playing all types of coverages. If Quez were to be something more just a guy that can run straight really fast, then maybe it would make some kind of sense for him to get more looks. 

unfortunately he hasn’t shown to be capable of that. Maybe he’ll show he can be counted on more soon. But so far, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason for him to get more looks than smith, AJ, or Goedert. 

I'm not sure why anyone would make this a Smith vs Quez debate.  First off: Apples and Oranges.  Smith was (likely) the best route runner from that entire class.  Which would make him an (almost) NFL - ready type of WR coming out of college.  (That's also very rare, as the vast majority of WR's need 2-3 years before becoming "true" NFL level WR's).

Quez was drafted as a "high ceiling but project" type of WR.  That's why he went later in the draft.  I watched him and he was certainly a guy I wanted us to pick at the time and thought of it as a "no brainer" type of pick in the 6th round.  Huge value pick there as most scouts/reports had him going as early at the 3rd/4th rounds - especially after his fantastic 40 time at the combine.  That said, he was still considered a a "developmental" type of project vs Devonta Smith who was (almost) considered a "plug and play" type of prospect coming out of college.

Quez has outlasted/out performed 2 guys that were taken higher than he was in the same draft: Reagor and Hightower.  And there's a lot to be said about that.

But we shouldn't be comparing his performance, especially with the limited targets he's received, with Smith's performance.  Smith has received many more targets because his development/skillset/performance, etc have demonstrated him as being an "NFL ready" WR - at almost all levels of his game.

Quez has demonstrated being able to compete at the NFL level in many areas of his game but he's still developing other areas of his game.  Like I said, Apples & Oranges.

And both of them deserve to be here in their perspective roles.

• Like 1