Quez Watkins

bigdog54

Sometimes when fans are being critical of a player, they make up fake stats and start to actually believe them (i.e. Derek Barnett commits a stupid penalty every game he plays). As for Quez, he only had 3 drops on the season. His 5.9% drop percentage wasn't terrible. The biggest problem was the lack of big plays. I really think he just had an off year. I expect him to easily rebound next season and be at least as effective as he was 2 years ago. Next year will also be a contract year, if that adds any motivation.

10 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Sometimes when fans are being critical of a player, they make up fake stats and start to actually believe them (i.e. Derek Barnett commits a stupid penalty every game he plays). As for Quez, he only had 3 drops on the season. His 5.9% drop percentage wasn't terrible. The biggest problem was the lack of big plays. I really think he just had an off year. I expect him to easily rebound next season and be at least as effective as he was 2 years ago. Next year will also be a contract year, if that adds any motivation.

It’s not the number of drops, it’s when they occur. And not only drops, but the fumble, two picks in the Dallas game that could have been avoided if he didn’t play so soft.  Fact is he has more memorable negative plays than he does positive. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, brkmsn said:

My biggest gripe is his route running, he's atrocious at it. He's too wimpy and doesn't shield off the defender on slants, and he leaves his feet on deep routes often. If he can fix those issues I'm ok with keeping him, but at this point I won't miss him if he's not on the roster next season.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:28 PM, EazyEaglez said:

I can think of two big plays Quez had this year, but I can think of 4 really horrible plays connected to Quez this year and three of them led to turnovers. Time to find another option. 

I can think of 4 horrible plays from Quez: fumble from second Washington game (should have been benched after that like I said), fumble in second Cowboys game, giving 49ers defender a hint that ball was starting to come his way with wide eyes in NFCCG (49ers defender being able to knock ball down), and Super Bowl LVII.

On 2/17/2023 at 4:39 PM, EazyEaglez said:

"Outside of Jalen Hurts and Darius Slay, Quez Watkins provides the biggest amount of salary-cap relief if he gets cut. The Eagles would be saving $2.7 million by releasing him.

Obviously cutting the first two is out of the question. Hurts is in line for a massive extension, while Slay is too important to the defense to consider parting ways with him just to clear cap space.

Watkins is a talented player, but he hasn't done enough to take cutting him off the table. In fact, with A.J. Brown now leading the receiving corps, Watkins had fewer targets, receptions, yards and snaps than he did in 2021.

Entering his third year, he's proved that he can be a reliable third receiver. The problem is that his salary jumps from $895,000 in 2022 to $2.7 million in 2023.”

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10065661-players-eagles-must-consider-cutting-ahead-of-2023-nfl-free-agency

Sorry I don’t think Quez is worth the bump in pay. 

Letting go of Quez Watkins should be one of easiest decisions for this team to make with his bad play. He's the Nate Gerry on offense.

On 2/18/2023 at 5:24 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Most people were killing Torrey Smith when he left, but that’s not quite relevant here. The Eagles have a cemented number one and two guy. Watkins is more of a penciled in number three. The Eagles shouldn’t be scared to move on from a guy who caught a deep pass then immediately fumbled sealing a loss, because they’re afraid of the ghosts of Smith. 

At least Torrey Smith was a competent WR unlike Quez Watkins.

We used to like Quez, he just had some drops and mistakes this year more than expected.  With the amount of players to replace this year, I think it's worth keeping him especially if Pascal signs elsewhere.  You don't want to replace 2 WRs in the same offseason.  They could still draft a WR at some point to add to the mix and should he move past Watkins on the depth chart or end up getting more targets so be it.

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

We used to like Quez, he just had some drops and mistakes this year more than expected.  With the amount of players to replace this year, I think it's worth keeping him especially if Pascal signs elsewhere.  You don't want to replace 2 WRs in the same offseason.  They could still draft a WR at some point to add to the mix and should he move past Watkins on the depth chart or end up getting more targets so be it.

I just wish Quez did more. KR or PR. Gunner. Something else. We are going to find out how much the Eagles really think of Quez real soon.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 9:22 PM, EazyEaglez said:

I just wish Quez did more. KR or PR. Gunner. Something else. We are going to find out how much the Eagles really think of Quez real soon.

Same. Like, is he really that bad that he can't replace Covey?? Maybe he'll take the next step or someone else will step up and take his spot. 

• Like 1

I’ll say this and say it again.. Johnathan Mingo from Ole Miss in the draft. Watch the tape , he’s AJ Browns clone. AJ was considered a slot receiver for Ole Miss and the Titans. Johnathan comes from the same school. He’s 6-2 225 lbs and runs a 4.52. He is a monster and has better better play speed than AJ. He can take over Zach Pascals role as a blocker and he is a far better player than Quez Watkins in the slot. He is a YAC king and can make contested catches and rag doll DBs. If AJ was hurt he could moves the the X and take over for AJ they run the exact same route tree. Ole Miss runs a similar passing offense to the Eagles. A natural transition. AJ was from the same school and he would be a excellent role model for Mingo.

With Pascal gone and Quez under contract on a rookie deal there is no reason they should cut him.  They will need to coach him this offseason to fix those mistakes and get more out of his potential.  Quez has to realize he's going into the final year of his contract and has to step it up.  

They will replace Pascal, we'll see if that's another free agent or a draft pick.  They don't have a lot of picks unless they trade back to acquire more.  Next year they have a lot of picks and will have comp picks added so this year could see a free agent WR signed to come in and add depth.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

With Pascal gone and Quez under contract on a rookie deal there is no reason they should cut him.  They will need to coach him this offseason to fix those mistakes and get more out of his potential.  Quez has to realize he's going into the final year of his contract and has to step it up.  

They will replace Pascal, we'll see if that's another free agent or a draft pick.  They don't have a lot of picks unless they trade back to acquire more.  Next year they have a lot of picks and will have comp picks added so this year could see a free agent WR signed to come in and add depth.

Just catch the 2-3 targets he gets a game is all he needs to do.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 4:27 PM, judunno said:

Just catch the 2-3 targets he gets a game is all he needs to do.

In any case I feel like the Eagles still might feel the need to upgrade the WR position. Before the season even started the Eagles brought in Pascal and Brown even though Watkins the year prior looked like he was ready to take the next step. Last season Watkins took a step back and right now there isn’t anyone else on the roster. They definitely need to add another receiver at some point soon. 

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

In any case I feel like the Eagles still might feel the need to upgrade the WR position. Before the season even started the Eagles brought in Pascal and Brown even though Watkins the year prior looked like he was ready to take the next step. Last season Watkins took a step back and right now there isn’t anyone else on the roster. They definitely need to add another receiver at some point soon. 

I don't know if it is fixable. Watch just the first minute or so of each of these videos. You will see that Watkins is a heal to toe runner. Then watch Jackson, he runs of the balls of his feet. Heal to toe runners sometimes don't track the ball as well as receivers who run on the balls of their feet. Watkins doesn't track the ball very well.

Watkins:

Jackson:

On 3/21/2023 at 1:26 PM, NOTW said:

He'd be a great 5th receiver... bring in two more guys better than him :D

1 hour ago, judunno said:

He'd be a great 5th receiver... bring in two more guys better than him :D

What, Greg Ward and Devon Allen don't do it for ya?  :lol:

59 minutes ago, NOTW said:

What, Greg Ward and Devon Allen don't do it for ya?  :lol:

Devon Allen did have the great TD that one time But I'd be worried about him "false starting" :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, Next_Up said:

I don't know if it is fixable. Watch just the first minute or so of each of these videos. You will see that Watkins is a heal to toe runner. Then watch Jackson, he runs of the balls of his feet. Heal to toe runners sometimes don't track the ball as well as receivers who run on the balls of their feet. Watkins doesn't track the ball very well.

Watkins:

Jackson:

Watkins feels more like a track and field type runner than an NFL receiver. I really do hope he figures it out, because that would make things easier to deal with. Regardless, they still need to add another receiver. Hopefully Watkins has a Hurts type mindset and determines himself to ball out next season. Work all offseason to get better. I agree though, because I really have my doubts he can do this.

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Watkins feels more like a track and field type runner than an NFL receiver. I really do hope he figures it out, because that would make things easier to deal with. Regardless, they still need to add another receiver. Hopefully Watkins has a Hurts type mindset and determines himself to ball out next season. Work all offseason to get better. I agree though, because I really have my doubts he can do this.

Honestly is it worth adding one in the draft?  Outside Smitty, this is Howie's Wide Receiver picks in drafts as GM

2010 Riley Cooper Rd 5

2012 Marvin McNutt Rd 6

2014 Jordan Matthews Rd 2, Josh Huff Rd 3

2015 Chip drafts Agholor Rd 1

2017 Mack Hollins Rd 4, Shelton Gibson Rd 5

2019 JJAW Rd 2

2020 Reagor (pick before Justin Jefferson) Rd1, John Hightower Rd 5, Quez Watkins Round 6

Howie sucks at drafting receivers at the best of times, but outside the first round in terms of receivers who solidly contribute he couldn't find his own ass with both hands and a map.

For comparison over the same period the Steelers drafted

Emmanuel Sanders in 3rd, Antonio Brown in 6th, Smith Schuster in the 2nd and Diontae Johnson in the 3rd who all have 1000yd plus seasons, plus guys who like Marcus Wheaton, Martavis Bryant and James Washington all in the mid rounds who contributed 700 plus yard multiple TD seasons as WR2 or 3

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Honestly is it worth adding one in the draft?  Outside Smitty, this is Howie's Wide Receiver picks in drafts as GM

2010 Riley Cooper Rd 5

2012 Marvin McNutt Rd 6

2014 Jordan Matthews Rd 2, Josh Huff Rd 3

2015 Chip drafts Agholor Rd 1

2017 Mack Hollins Rd 4, Shelton Gibson Rd 5

2019 JJAW Rd 2

2020 Reagor (pick before Justin Jefferson) Rd1, John Hightower Rd 5, Quez Watkins Round 6

Howie sucks at drafting receivers at the best of times, but outside the first round in terms of receivers who solidly contribute he couldn't find his own ass with both hands and a map.

For comparison over the same period the Steelers drafted

Emmanuel Sanders in 3rd, Antonio Brown in 6th, Smith Schuster in the 2nd and Diontae Johnson in the 3rd who all have 1000yd plus seasons, plus guys who like Marcus Wheaton, Martavis Bryant and James Washington all in the mid rounds who contributed 700 plus yard multiple TD seasons as WR2 or 3

The addition might not be a draft choice, but isn’t Sirianni supposed to be a WR guru? I mean shouldn’t this guy be able to find someone in the draft who can play? We have yet to see the team draft a wide receiver since Sirianni got here so maybe he can assist Howie in seeing something that you and I both agree Howie absolutely misses when it comes to receivers. On a side note I still think Huff was a pick influenced by that dope Chip Kelly, and JJAW was influenced by the owner, but all the rest are on Howie. 

50 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The addition might not be a draft choice, but isn’t Sirianni supposed to be a WR guru? I mean shouldn’t this guy be able to find someone in the draft who can play? We have yet to see the team draft a wide receiver since Sirianni got here so maybe he can assist Howie in seeing something that you and I both agree Howie absolutely misses when it comes to receivers. On a side note I still think Huff was a pick influenced by that dope Chip Kelly, and JJAW was influenced by the owner, but all the rest are on Howie. 

Thinking about it, is Josh Huff the last Eagle to score a kick return TD?  In Doug's first year? Goddamn has it been that long since we took one to the house?

• Like 1

I still think he showed some good things in addition to the bad things.  I think it's tough for any backup receiver when you have two starting WRs that both go over 1,000 yards.  You're obviously not going to get a lot of receptions.  

AJ Brown had some big misses, drops and fumbles that were very costly.  He was able to bounce back.  Siri and Hurts would throw right back to him soon after to show confidence and get him back to a positive play and shake it off which is the right way to go.  A 3rd or 4th string WR doesn't get that opportunity as much.  The pressure is on for them to produce in the few targets they get or fans want them cut.  But fans don't treat the starting WR the same way because they're producing so much otherwise.

At this point with Pascal gone, Watkins is entering his final contract year and knows the playbook and has rapport with his teammates and QB.  You just hope he works in the offseason to correct the mistakes and come back strong.

If not, well you have two 1,000 yards receivers and one of the top TEs in the league to throw to anyway.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I still think he showed some good things in addition to the bad things.  I think it's tough for any backup receiver when you have two starting WRs that both go over 1,000 yards.  You're obviously not going to get a lot of receptions.  

AJ Brown had some big misses, drops and fumbles that were very costly.  He was able to bounce back.  Siri and Hurts would throw right back to him soon after to show confidence and get him back to a positive play and shake it off which is the right way to go.  A 3rd or 4th string WR doesn't get that opportunity as much.  The pressure is on for them to produce in the few targets they get or fans want them cut.  But fans don't treat the starting WR the same way because they're producing so much otherwise.

At this point with Pascal gone, Watkins is entering his final contract year and knows the playbook and has rapport with his teammates and QB.  You just hope he works in the offseason to correct the mistakes and come back strong.

If not, well you have two 1,000 yards receivers and one of the top TEs in the league to throw to anyway.

Also, on a positive note, Watkins is disappointed in his season as well. I think he'll put in the work. He has a great leader in Hurts to follow from example and is behind 2 of the NFL's top 20 WRs that he can continue to learn from. One of the first things Smith began learning from Brown is "late hands." It's a crucial technique that can give the WR a big advantage against today's average DBs that don't look back for the ball. Watkins faults himself for not using that technique on the deep pass in the Super Bowl. 

People can think what they want, but I'm glad he's not happy with the mistakes he made last season and is ready to work hard to put those things behind him. He showed a lot of promise in 2021 and has all the tools to be a much better player. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Also, on a positive note, Watkins is disappointed in his season as well. I think he'll put in the work. He has a great leader in Hurts to follow from example and is behind 2 of the NFL's top 20 WRs that he can continue to learn from. One of the first things Smith began learning from Brown is "late hands." It's a crucial technique that can give the WR a big advantage against today's average DBs that don't look back for the ball. Watkins faults himself for not using that technique on the deep pass in the Super Bowl. 

People can think what they want, but I'm glad he's not happy with the mistakes he made last season and is ready to work hard to put those things behind him. He showed a lot of promise in 2021 and has all the tools to be a much better player. 

Funny thing is that Quez has been on the same team with Jalen for sometime now and while Jalen put in the work to improve Quez went the opposite direction and regressed. Hard for me to simply think that Quez is going to follow in Jalen’s footsteps when he basically has done the complete opposite so far. We shall see though. 

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Funny thing is that Quez has been on the same team with Jalen for sometime now and while Jalen put in the work to improve Quez went the opposite direction and regressed. Hard for me to simply think that Quez is going to follow in Jalen’s footsteps when he basically has done the complete opposite so far. We shall see though. 

"Going back to work,” Watkins said. "That’s the only thing that’s going to make it better. Going back to work. Honestly, getting back there, trying my hardest to get back there and honestly just staying together. Staying as a team and just keep fighting.”

"Mentality,” he said. "As Kobe said, you just got to go to work. You’ve just got to put your head down and go in that dark place and just go to work. That’s all it is, regardless of the he say, she say, man, just go to work. That’s all on you.”

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

"Going back to work,” Watkins said. "That’s the only thing that’s going to make it better. Going back to work. Honestly, getting back there, trying my hardest to get back there and honestly just staying together. Staying as a team and just keep fighting.”

"Mentality,” he said. "As Kobe said, you just got to go to work. You’ve just got to put your head down and go in that dark place and just go to work. That’s all it is, regardless of the he say, she say, man, just go to work. That’s all on you.”

So Quez thought he made it after one 600 season with one touchdown? He assumed he no longer needed to work? In four playoff games he’s caught three passes, and after that first loss in Tampa he didn’t say to himself that he needs to go back to work? Tell me what has Quez accomplished at this point in his career where he can have a point where he can think he made it?