Quez Watkins

bigdog54

51 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I'm not sure why anyone would make this a Smith vs Quez debate.  First off: Apples and Oranges.  Smith was (likely) the best route runner from that entire class.  Which would make him an (almost) NFL - ready type of WR coming out of college.  (That's also very rare, as the vast majority of WR's need 2-3 years before becoming "true" NFL level WR's).

Quez was drafted as a "high ceiling but project" type of WR.  That's why he went later in the draft.  I watched him and he was certainly a guy I wanted us to pick at the time and thought of it as a "no brainer" type of pick in the 6th round.  Huge value pick there as most scouts/reports had him going as early at the 3rd/4th rounds - especially after his fantastic 40 time at the combine.  That said, he was still considered a a "developmental" type of project vs Devonta Smith who was (almost) considered a "plug and play" type of prospect coming out of college.

Quez has outlasted/out performed 2 guys that were taken higher than he was in the same draft: Reagor and Hightower.  And there's a lot to be said about that.

But we shouldn't be comparing his performance, especially with the limited targets he's received, with Smith's performance.  Smith has received many more targets because his development/skillset/performance, etc have demonstrated him as being an "NFL ready" WR - at almost all levels of his game.

Quez has demonstrated being able to compete at the NFL level in many areas of his game but he's still developing other areas of his game.  Like I said, Apples & Oranges.

And both of them deserve to be here in their perspective roles.

Good post!!

I will take exception to the good route runner makes one NFL ready. 

When the Eagles draft Smith I expected a Stefon Diggs type of receiver, but they're very different.  Diggs is more of a quick WR that gets open by running fast routes coupled with his quickness.  Smith is a more of a long strider type of WR that has average at best long speed, while he has good hands and a great vertical, his routes are interrupted by the slightest contact, so bump and run renders him ineffective due to the lack long speed.  

Being a good route runner with average speed makes for an average WR against #1 corners. 

2 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Good post!!

I will take exception to the good route runner makes one NFL ready. 

When the Eagles draft Smith I expected a Stefon Diggs type of receiver, but they're very different.  Diggs is more of a quick WR that gets open by running fast routes coupled with his quickness.  Smith is a more of a long strider type of WR that has average at best long speed, while he has good hands and a great vertical, his routes are interrupted by the slightest contact, so bump and run renders him ineffective due to the lack long speed.  

Being a good route runner with average speed makes for an average WR against #1 corners. 

In most cases (and historically) I would agree with a lot of this.  If you were to have told me 4 years ago that a guy with Smith's size/skillset, etc would be a true #1 receiver in the NFL, I would have said, "not a chance".

That said, DeVonte Smith breaks the mold.  And I say that with nearly 35 years of experience, specifically focusing on WR's and QB's.  

I know you watch the games and I'm sure you've paid attention to DeVonta Smith on the field.  Sometimes (myself included), when watching a specific player, some will only "see" what they "want to see" in order to "justify" their opinion on a player. 

DeVonta Smith thrives in man on man, press coverage.  In most cases, he beats his press by running a precise route (designed) to beat press coverage.  He does it with such skill and precision, that teams no longer tend to press him nearly as much as they tried last year and even earlier this year.  I've never seen a guy of his size beat man on man as well as he does - and he does it on a regular basis.  

As far as "disrupting his routes" - does it happen on occasion?  Sure it does - it happens with every WR in the NFL, in every game. 

But the vast majority of the time, he isn't disrupted and runs clean, precise routes that tend to get him open - A LOT.   If you watch him closely, even when a defender "thinks" he's disrupting his route, he's so "slippery" that he tends to glide by them - sometimes sideways, and gets right back on his specific route path.  It's both uncanny and amazing the way he does it.  I've never seen another player quite like him, especially given his size/weight, etc - not in the last 35 years. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

I'm not sure why anyone would make this a Smith vs Quez debate.  First off: Apples and Oranges.  Smith was (likely) the best route runner from that entire class.  Which would make him an (almost) NFL - ready type of WR coming out of college.  (That's also very rare, as the vast majority of WR's need 2-3 years before becoming "true" NFL level WR's).

Quez was drafted as a "high ceiling but project" type of WR.  That's why he went later in the draft.  I watched him and he was certainly a guy I wanted us to pick at the time and thought of it as a "no brainer" type of pick in the 6th round.  Huge value pick there as most scouts/reports had him going as early at the 3rd/4th rounds - especially after his fantastic 40 time at the combine.  That said, he was still considered a a "developmental" type of project vs Devonta Smith who was (almost) considered a "plug and play" type of prospect coming out of college.

Quez has outlasted/out performed 2 guys that were taken higher than he was in the same draft: Reagor and Hightower.  And there's a lot to be said about that.

But we shouldn't be comparing his performance, especially with the limited targets he's received, with Smith's performance.  Smith has received many more targets because his development/skillset/performance, etc have demonstrated him as being an "NFL ready" WR - at almost all levels of his game.

Quez has demonstrated being able to compete at the NFL level in many areas of his game but he's still developing other areas of his game.  Like I said, Apples & Oranges.

And both of them deserve to be here in their perspective roles.

It’s a Quez vs DeVonta debate because the dude being replied to is still so clueless that he legit believe Quez is the better receiver. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/14/2023 at 8:01 AM, nipples said:

It’s a Quez vs DeVonta debate because the dude being replied to is still so clueless that he legit believe Quez is the better receiver. :lol:

Yeah Brown and Smith are only good cause they’re friends with the quarterback. 😂🤣😂

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2023 at 12:40 AM, brkmsn said:

You don't "call things as you see them." You just believe what you want to believe regardless of facts or proof.

On 1/3/2023 at 4:50 AM, EazyEaglez said:

If there was ever a mic drop of a post it’s this one. 😂

Indeed.

That's about as crisp a summary of this clodpole that I've seen.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 7:27 PM, brkmsn said:

Guy makes all the catches and just goes about his business. He’s also a willing blocker. People thought when he was drafted he wouldn’t be able to get open on the outside. He’s deceptively quick and is already one of the better route runners in football. Howie nailed that pick. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Guy makes all the catches and just goes about his business. He’s also a willing blocker. People thought when he was drafted he wouldn’t be able to get open on the outside. He’s deceptively quick and is already one of the better route runners in football. Howie nailed that pick. 

Agreed and agreed. He's quick but his route running is just so good it always gives him that space around him. Plus he can, when needed, make those contested catches. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

We got a great one!5C0F18BA-7A94-43B7-8D0A-D201B723E083.thumb.jpeg.a7241f9207dca98cebcb9e751d80172e.jpeg

Hardly a #4 on a bad team

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Interesting that Pascal was the receiver that started the game. Did Quez get any touches?

I wouldn't make much of it. We were simply demonstrating our dominance on the lines.

11 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I wouldn't make much of it. We were simply demonstrating our dominance on the lines.

Looking at the replay. He did play, but so far no attempts or touches. A lot of runblocking. 

On the Gainwell TD run, Quez was fully engaged and focused on doing his job. That was great effort and execution with the limited time he played.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I think it’s time to move on from the Quez experiment. You can’t miss that catch in the super bowl and he brings little to nothing else to this roster. Can’t play special teams in the NFL and basically lost his job to Pascal by the end of the season. Time to draft someone else.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Okay I think it’s time to move on from the Quez experiment. You can’t miss that catch in the super bowl and he brings little to nothing else to this roster. Can’t play special teams in the NFL and basically lost his job to Pascal by the end of the season. Time to draft someone else.

I was a Quez supporter. I saw some upside and made the "everybody makes mistakes" excuse. But it's time to move on. We need a #3 receiver who has speed, more reliable hands, and is also a special teams ace, preferably as a punt and/or kick returner. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shlo said:

I was a Quez supporter. I saw some upside and made the "everybody makes mistakes" excuse. But it's time to move on. We need a #3 receiver who has speed, more reliable hands, and is also a special teams ace, preferably as a punt and/or kick returner. 

I was a big supporter of Quez and I excused away his mistakes, but enough is enough. He just doesn’t bring enough to the table to justify him being their 3rd option. I would love to see someone who like you mentioned can be a KR/PR guy, and a deep threat. Heck I’ll even settle for an Avant type who is always reliable for a tough catch. 

Hi my name is The Holy Vagabond and I too was a Quez Watkins supporter. I am also sick and tired of his incompetence and excusing his mistakes. Why does the heck does he feel like he has to jump when he’s trying to catch a pass? Wth man…. Just run through it! 

But anyway yeah. I’m glad we all have this support group so we can all get the help we need and move on from our Quez supporting addiction. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Quez experiment should have ended after second Washington game. Morons for not doing so then.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I was a big supporter of Quez and I excused away his mistakes, but enough is enough. He just doesn’t bring enough to the table to justify him being their 3rd option. I would love to see someone who like you mentioned can be a KR/PR guy, and a deep threat. Heck I’ll even settle for an Avant type who is always reliable for a tough catch. 

Jackson would have never left his feet, made the catch in stride and walked backwards into the end zone. Some guys can track the ball and some cannot. Watkins cannot. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

100%. Hurts put that ball exactly where it needed it be, perfect pass. If he keeps running his route it's a TD. Even with the decision to slow down he still should have caught it and been tackled around the 6 or 7 yard line. They are going to have a lot of needs in the offseason with all of the free agents but slot receiver is an underrated need that I hope they look to address on day 1 or 2 of the draft.

• Like 3

I think he'll get another shot here, but may end up getting cut during camp.  It's true that he needs to track better and stop leaving his feet, but the team has bigger needs than replacing a 4th or 5th option at best through the draft and will just hope he improves.  

I do know that we need a threat at PR/KR and that Covey isn't going to cut it. 

In patches this year Quez made some big and nice plays. But ultimately he started to disappear when Minshew came in and I'm not sure the coaches trusted him after those mistakes. I think he'll be back in camp but at this point I think he needs to be a roster bubble guy.