Quez Watkins

bigdog54

aAllen got written up at the team website.  He stayed at PS the whole season, did not get activated and was absent in news all season long.  Then he re-appeared unexpectedly right after the conclusion of the season.  He obviously has world-class speed as an Olympic athletic for high hurdle.  A full season in the PS should help him getting back to be a WR, particularly in the company of Brown and Smith.  Wonder if they will play him as the deep WR along with Watkins in the upcoming off-season.  Competition to bring out the best of everyone.

On 2/20/2023 at 6:38 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Obviously in your very small world you don’t understand that this stuff happens all the time from idiot college kids throwing goal posts into rivers, to shootings after baseball games in LA, to riots overseas for soccer. I don’t care what the media says. Those dopes are still talking about Santa which is ridiculous. 

Oh well, I guess I'm wrong again, maybe I need to expand my world.

BTW, have you heard of any other NFL stadium who had jail cells in the basement?

There are reports that the Eagles are willing to trade Quez. Usually when the Eagles are reported to do something it is less likely to happen. Still they need to do a lot of things to get their cap situation right. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

There are reports that the Eagles are willing to trade Quez. Usually when the Eagles are reported to do something it is less likely to happen. Still they need to do a lot of things to get their cap situation right. 

I'm not sure Quez is going to help much with the cap situation though is he?

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not sure Quez is going to help much with the cap situation though is he?

I believe the Eagles save over 2mil by dumping him and when we have so many players who need to be resigned every little bit counts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I believe the Eagles save over 2mil by dumping him and when we have so many players who need to be resigned every little bit counts.

I mean if its that much then yeah that's a no brainer I guess. 

• Like 1

We need a WR3 that can not only catch reliably and be effective with low volume targets but also return punts. That's my take and im sticking with it :)

On 2/28/2023 at 5:18 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Yep … $2.7M cap savings if cut or traded with only $40K dead money hit. Probably a safe assumption Howie will be working his magic trying to find a trade partner.  We have no picks in rounds 4-6 so a late pick would be welcome (in addition to the cap savings).  

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 2:18 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Just means they may need to spend about as much on a veteran or younger FA. If they can find a trade partner there is value in moving him, otherwise they should keep him on the roster. The team doesn't have an immediate replacement.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Devaster said:

Just means they may need to spend about as much on a veteran or younger FA. If they can find a trade partner there is value in moving him, otherwise they should keep him on the roster. The team doesn't have an immediate replacement.

Don’t know if a necessarily agree with that, because Quez’s original base salary was around 600k when he was first drafted, but now his salary ballon’s over 2.7 if he’s still on the roster with a 40k hit. Pascal one could argue was paid only 1.5mil last year and gave to the team as much if not more considering he run blocked, blocked for pass catching wide receivers, caught passes, and played special teams. I would not be surprised to see the Eagles try and move Quez (especially to one of their coaches who got HC jobs) or flat out release him. 

10 hours ago, time2rock said:

Yep … $2.7M cap savings if cut or traded with only $40K dead money hit. Probably a safe assumption Howie will be working his magic trying to find a trade partner.  We have no picks in rounds 4-6 so a late pick would be welcome (in addition to the cap savings).  

Quez was a late round pick himself. The Eagles are stacked at the position and are already throwing a lot of money at it. Go get someone who can catch passes and play on special teams. Maybe people could argue Quez helped by taking the tops off defenses, but truthfully he didn’t look that effective doing so considering he was able to be covered one on one at times and didn’t bring down the pass. I don’t think Smith or Brown will lose any of their effectiveness if Quez isn’t out there just running around. I’d rather see a Jason Avant type out there who can make tough first downs in traffic than Quez just being fast. 

• Like 1

Sirianni on Quez:

"Yeah, I think when you look at that, it's easy to say, well, Quez Watkins didn't have the same year he had last year,” Sirianni said. "Well, he didn't have the opportunities he had last year, and it actually wasn't even close.”

The question in particular was about the 3rd wide receiver spot, and though it was assumed to be only about Quez, Sirianni added this interesting comment to the formula.

"The things that Quez does is [he] stretches the field,” Sirianni said. "The things that Zach Pascal did was [being] our enforcer.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-combine-2023-10-leftover-140025171.html

Could mean a lot of things, but at least by the end of the season Sirianni at least mentally viewed these two players as the third wide receiver, but he’s also clearly making a note to Quez’s lack of toughness. Why didn’t Quez get as many touches as he did the year before? Obviously that was due to Smith improving, Brown inserted into the lineup, Goedert, and Pascal doing the dirty work Quez wasn’t capable of doing, because he isn’t an "enforcer.” Next season to bring back both of these players it could cost 4-6 mil and one has to wonder if the 3rd WR spot really worth that much split between two players or is it better to just draft one guy later to fill the role of both for 600 to 700k? 

• Like 1

Quez didn't even stretch the field much. The coaches seemed to want to try and use him in creative ways as the year went on which was strange. 

Early in the year I felt Quez was really adding to the offense by drawing some PI penalties. Then when Goedert went down it seemed like his production improved and he was making big plays. But down the stretch and in the play offs he not only didn't contribute but he was hurting the team. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Quez didn't even stretch the field much. The coaches seemed to want to try and use him in creative ways as the year went on which was strange. 

Early in the year I felt Quez was really adding to the offense by drawing some PI penalties. Then when Goedert went down it seemed like his production improved and he was making big plays. But down the stretch and in the play offs he not only didn't contribute but he was hurting the team. 

Yeah they did. Not sure what that was about. Called themselves giving him a shot to step up I guess

On 3/4/2023 at 4:33 PM, EazyEaglez said:
Could mean a lot of things, but at least by the end of the season Sirianni at least mentally viewed these two players as the third wide receiver, but he’s also clearly making a note to Quez’s lack of toughness. Why didn’t Quez get as many touches as he did the year before? Obviously that was due to Smith improving, Brown inserted into the lineup, Goedert, and Pascal doing the dirty work Quez wasn’t capable of doing, because he isn’t an "enforcer.” Next season to bring back both of these players it could cost 4-6 mil and one has to wonder if the 3rd WR spot really worth that much split between two players or is it better to just draft one guy later to fill the role of both for 600 to 700k? 

So we currently sit with two 1sts, a 2nd, a 3rd and two 7ths. Knowing the needs on this team, and the starters we will already be losing in free agency that we have to find cheaper replacements for, what round are you expecting us to find a WR3 that can play immediately in? When you draft a guy in late rounds, sometimes you get a guy like Quez and sometimes you get guys like Hightower and Gibson. 

As far as an "enforcer," that isn't something you need in football. All of our WRs can and do block, even Quez. Basically, all Watkins needs to do is rebound from a somewhat disappointing year. Brown works the middle of the field just fine, as does Goedert. It's not like we need something there. We just need the guy that stretches the field to make a few more plays each year. 

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

So we currently sit with two 1sts, a 2nd, a 3rd and two 7ths. Knowing the needs on this team, and the starters we will already be losing in free agency that we have to find cheaper replacements for, what round are you expecting us to find a WR3 that can play immediately in? When you draft a guy in late rounds, sometimes you get a guy like Quez and sometimes you get guys like Hightower and Gibson. 

As far as an "enforcer," that isn't something you need in football. All of our WRs can and do block, even Quez. Basically, all Watkins needs to do is rebound from a somewhat disappointing year. Brown works the middle of the field just fine, as does Goedert. It's not like we need something there. We just need the guy that stretches the field to make a few more plays each year. 

Well sometimes you get a Smith and sometimes you get a Reagor or a JJAW with 1st and second round picks also. Considering the fact this team he’s far more needs than a 3rd wide receiver who is scared of contact, and the fact they’re so close to the cap, they are going to need to make some tough choices. Letting  Quez go for a late round pick and some cap relief doesn’t seem like one of them. Also considering this team runs so many pick like plays and WR screens then they absolutely need a WR who isn’t scared to get a little dirty and not someone who is again scared of contact. The Eagles don’t need a field stretcher who isn’t capable of making catches with just a little bit of coverage on him. What’s more important? A guy 3rd WR who stretches the field but can’t catch or a starting level corner or safety? 

I don't think there is going to be a reasonable opportunity to upgrade the #3 WR spot this offseason.  Support Quez, hope he develops.  If he does, then there is an interesting decision to make.  

If he doesn't, WR is an under the radar high draft priority next year.  

But for this year, let it be and see if he can better himself.  

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 7:33 PM, EazyEaglez said:
Sirianni on Quez:

"Yeah, I think when you look at that, it's easy to say, well, Quez Watkins didn't have the same year he had last year,” Sirianni said. "Well, he didn't have the opportunities he had last year, and it actually wasn't even close.”

The question in particular was about the 3rd wide receiver spot, and though it was assumed to be only about Quez, Sirianni added this interesting comment to the formula.

"The things that Quez does is [he] stretches the field,” Sirianni said. "The things that Zach Pascal did was [being] our enforcer.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-combine-2023-10-leftover-140025171.html

I don't think he was questioning Quez's toughness.  His point is that they bring different skill sets to the table and, despite competing for #3 reps/looks, essentially occupy different positions and roles in the offense.  

Brown and Smith can both make plays downfield, but I wouldn't say they stretch the field.  Brown IS an enforcer and a physical WR.  Quez is unique in that he serves a function in the offense that no one else does. 

Just now, eagle45 said:

I don't think he was questioning Quez's toughness.  His point is that they bring different skill sets to the table and, despite, competing for #3 reps/looks, essentially occupy different positions and roles in the offense.  

Brown and Smith can both make plays downfield, but I wouldn't say they stretch the field.  Brown IS an enforcer and a physical WR.  Quez is unique in that he serves a function in the offense that no one else does. 

Not sure what is his function other than catching un contested catches.  Also when does Quez do the dirty work like effectively blocking for screens or possibly using his body to shield defenders on crossing routes to free other players? What is so unique about a 3rd wr who is just fast? Speed is replaceable and certainly isn’t worth 2.7 mil especially when you consider the fact he doesn’t even play on special teams.

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not sure what is his function other than catching un contested catches.  Also when does Quez do the dirty work like effectively blocking for screens or possibly using his body to shield defenders on crossing routes to free other players? What is so unique about a 3rd wr who is just fast? Speed is replaceable and certainly isn’t worth 2.7 mil especially when you consider the fact he doesn’t even play on special teams.

Not saying he's irreplaceable or that he was a good or even remotely balanced WR in 2022...but the offense looks quite slow without someone to put the defense on their heels without Quez (or someone else in that mold).

17 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Not saying he's irreplaceable or that he was a good or even remotely balanced WR in 2022...but the offense looks quite slow without someone to put the defense on their heels without Quez (or someone else in that mold).

Not sure I’d call the offense slow without him, because both Smith and Brown made a lot of big plays downfield and both made contested catches. Quez had a few, but in my opinion didn’t capitalize on nearly as many as he should have. For the record I like Quez and I’d prefer he’d take that next step, but I also see this team has a lot of needs and a guy who’s only here to basically run fast isn’t a bid enough of an asset to keep. 

18 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not sure I’d call the offense slow without him, because both Smith and Brown made a lot of big plays downfield and both made contested catches. Quez had a few, but in my opinion didn’t capitalize on nearly as many as he should have. For the record I like Quez and I’d prefer he’d take that next step, but I also see this team has a lot of needs and a guy who’s only here to basically run fast isn’t a bid enough of an asset to keep. 

Disappointing year 3 for sure for Quez.  Even though you'd expect his touches to go down with having added Brown, he just didn't make the most of the opportunities that came his way, between drops and just mental lapses (the 2 INTs in the Giants game where he seemed to run lazy routes and didn't come back toward the QB to better position himself to make the catch).  Maybe he was banking on being #2 and the trade to add Brown led to being somewhat disgruntled and he just didn't give it his all.  If that were the case (not saying it is) then he needs to be replaced.    

• Like 1

13 hours ago, time2rock said:

Disappointing year 3 for sure for Quez.  Even though you'd expect his touches to go down with having added Brown, he just didn't make the most of the opportunities that came his way, between drops and just mental lapses (the 2 INTs in the Giants game where he seemed to run lazy routes and didn't come back toward the QB to better position himself to make the catch).  Maybe he was banking on being #2 and the trade to add Brown led to being somewhat disgruntled and he just didn't give it his all.  If that were the case (not saying it is) then he needs to be replaced.    

Someone with better hands given the limited opportunities with STs ability that perhaps can even block better should be a target for that W3 position. They need to start thinking about special teams talent with this roster. Feels like it was simply overlooked the last few years.